Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Master Chief vs Lore Flood

OP M0ckingDrag0n

Could MC survive if it was actually him versus the Flood from the lore instead of gameplay? Because a single Flood combat form was able to thrown him across a room at one point and they're actually pretty fast and can jump pretty far distances too.
Well obviously the Flood in the games does not mimic how the Flood act like in the lore. It’s the same with the Covenant, and how deadly their weapons actually are, but that’s done because of gameplay purposes.

If Master Chief was to fight the Flood in the lore chances are he would still be able to overcome them as when you think of the enhancements and augmentations he’s had to his body and the additional enhancements that Mjolnir armour provide then he’ll be far superior than the way we play as him in the games.

You also need to remember that the shielding of Mjolnir can protect him from Flood infection forms except the one that almost infected him as it caught him when his shielding was down, but then Cortana saved him with some sort of shielding burst.

But I mean I could always be wrong and maybe Chief may be overrun but I personally don’t see how if he’s had so much experience fighting them.
Just because the gameplay itself isn’t canon, doesn’t mean the events from gameplay aren’t. It’s a fine line, but the story elements in gameplay are canon. Chief did beat lore-Flood, by virtue of the events of the original trilogy. He has survived against the Flood in lore.
Just because the gameplay itself isn’t canon, doesn’t mean the events from gameplay aren’t. It’s a fine line, but the story elements in gameplay are canon. Chief did beat lore-Flood, by virtue of the events of the original trilogy. He has survived against the Flood in lore.
Thank you for putting my thoughts into words.. I was trying to think of a way to explain the concept of lore vs gameplay and was coming up short.

But OP, I feel like it would be better if you were more specific... like The Flood means a lot of things. Do you mean infection forms, spores, combat forms, pure forms, proto-graveminds, graveminds, keyminds, etc.? I ask because usually a versus thread pits two similar but opposing forces or people against each other. A single human vs the general concept of a parasitic life form is difficult to comment on.
Thank you for putting my thoughts into words.. I was trying to think of a way to explain the concept of lore vs gameplay and was coming up short.

But OP, I feel like it would be better if you were more specific... like The Flood means a lot of things. Do you mean infection forms, spores, combat forms, pure forms, proto-graveminds, graveminds, keyminds, etc.? I ask because usually a versus thread pits two similar but opposing forces or people against each other. A single human vs the general concept of a parasitic life form is difficult to comment on.
I meant how would it go if the gameplay was translated into lore like his battles against the Flood in the game. Wouldn't the Flood be jumping all over him and running towards him? Because I thought the lore described them as being fast and agile but the game made them look really slow.

I meant how would it go if the gameplay was translated into lore like his battles against the Flood in the game. Wouldn't the Flood be jumping all over him and running towards him? Because I thought the lore described them as being fast and agile but the game made them look really slow.
Well the real world reason for them appearing slow is because the devs want the player to be capable of actually defeating the enemy AI within a reasonable level of challenge. But there actually is a lore explanation for the slowness of the Flood.. I encourage you to research the concept of "Spartan Time".

In short, Spartans perceive time slightly differently from everyone else thanks to their superior reflexes and fast twitch muscle fibers, among other augmentations. It's demonstrated quite well in Fall of Reach when Chief is trying to go for a workout in the gym of the Atlas. He pulls out a locking pin from a weighted bar and catches the pin in midair, perceiving it as falling slower than it actually was.