Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Mendicant Bias' role in Halo 6

OP DINNCA DINNCA

It seems very possible that Mendicant Bias will be a character in Halo 6, this idea was mainly conveyed by the E3 trailer showing Master Chief wearing a cloak and discovering a very large forerunner ancilla in a vast desert, presumably the ark. I would say that this is obviously a trailer that (vaguely) indicates the plot of Halo 5 prior to the massive rewrite of it's story. While the Ancilla shown in the trailer looks sort of like a guardian, I would bet at it being Mendicant Bias, as it seems like the only logical plot point for the scenario shown. Master Chief would be in hiding, trying to protect his identity from whoever obeyed Cortana after the events of Halo 5. Mendicant Bias would most likely be the only possible ally of the survivors of the Reclamation able to combat Cortana at a large enough scale. It would also be intriguing to see if Bias recognizes the symptoms of the logic plague shown in Cortana. Another piece of evidence to this claim would be the fact that upon Bias' sentencing long ago, he was buried in a vast desert on the ark. Now, I can't think of any other reason Master Chief would risk exposing himself to go into a vast desert other than to seek out Mendicant Bias, who technically communicated with Master Chief through the terminals on Halo 3, as well as a piece of his A.I. on the Dreadnought that communicated with Cortana. What ways would Mendicant Bias help Master Chief and allies in the fight against Cortana? We'll have to see
I like your theory and agree with most of it. However, I don't think that the Guardian we saw in the trailer was Mendicant Bias, we already know what Mendicant Bias looks like(at least what he used to look like before his destruction) and from what I understand, he was able to fully rebuild himself on the Ark, or at least substantially. It's more than likely that it's just a regular Guardian in my opinion.

My main concern with the potential introduction of Mendicant Bias is how 343i will explain his character in-game. 343i has traditionally done a pretty poor job of explaining Forerunner era characters in the game(i.e. all of Halo 4). I'm concerned his presence will bear little weight for people who haven't looked into the extended universe if 343i doesn't handle Mendicant's introduction properly.

Regardless. If he does make an appearance(which he likely will in some capacity) I think he'll definitely help Chief. It's known that Mendicant wanted to atone for his sins against the Forerunners, and set out to help the reclaimers succeed in achieving the mantle. He has already conversed with Chief via terminals in Halo 3(as you referenced). I see no reason for him to turn on Chief/humanity now. If he did, it would probably lead to a pretty bad situation for Humanity.

Good post, I look forward to seeing where this conversation goes.
I like your theory and agree with most of it. However, I don't think that the Guardian we saw in the trailer was Mendicant Bias, we already know what Mendicant Bias looks like(at least what he used to look like before his destruction) and from what I understand, he was able to fully rebuild himself on the Ark, or at least substantially. It's more than likely that it's just a regular Guardian in my opinion.

My main concern with the potential introduction of Mendicant Bias is how 343i will explain his character in-game. 343i has traditionally done a pretty poor job of explaining Forerunner era characters in the game(i.e. all of Halo 4). I'm concerned his presence will bear little weight for people who haven't looked into the extended universe if 343i doesn't handle Mendicant's introduction properly.

Regardless. If he does make an appearance(which he likely will in some capacity) I think he'll definitely help Chief. It's known that Mendicant wanted to atone for his sins against the Forerunners, and set out to help the reclaimers succeed in achieving the mantle. He has already conversed with Chief via terminals in Halo 3(as you referenced). I see no reason for him to turn on Chief/humanity now. If he did, it would probably lead to a pretty bad situation for Humanity.

Good post, I look forward to seeing where this conversation goes.
How was 343 bad telling the didacts story in halo 4? Halo escalation yeah,but not halo 4
How was 343 bad telling the didacts story in halo 4? Halo escalation yeah,but not halo 4
Personally, I don't think they layered the delivery of his character properly. But that's just my opinion. *shrugs*
Personally, I don't think they layered the delivery of his character properly. But that's just my opinion. *shrugs*
Problem is they made it where you have to read the novels to understand him
“And so here at the end of my life, I do once again betray a former master.” Mendicant Bias totally expected to be destroyed on Installation 04b, maybe because he wasn’t able to transfer his matrix off the unfinished ring. Honestly I feel that it’s more compelling that he allowed himself to be destroyed as a testament to his redemption.
I dont believe Mendicant Bias will be making an appearance in H6, however I do believe its story is relevant. People would understand whats going on more if they knew about that history. History, repeats its self. I believe Halo 6 will be about reveal of Cortana falling to the same fate as Bias. It would be neat to maybe hear Exuberant Witness mention bias, which what I feel will ultimately happen. She is definitely coming back to Halo 6. I think anything that stood out and was liked in Halo 5, is getting drafted into Halo 6. lol we need all wins(things we liked) on deck for this campaign to be orchestrated correctly.
It seems very possible that Mendicant Bias will be a character in Halo 6, this idea was mainly conveyed by the E3 trailer showing Master Chief wearing a cloak and discovering a very large forerunner ancilla in a vast desert, presumably the ark. I would say that this is obviously a trailer that (vaguely) indicates the plot of Halo 5 prior to the massive rewrite of it's story. While the Ancilla shown in the trailer looks sort of like a guardian, I would bet at it being Mendicant Bias, as it seems like the only logical plot point for the scenario shown. Master Chief would be in hiding, trying to protect his identity from whoever obeyed Cortana after the events of Halo 5. Mendicant Bias would most likely be the only possible ally of the survivors of the Reclamation able to combat Cortana at a large enough scale. It would also be intriguing to see if Bias recognizes the symptoms of the logic plague shown in Cortana. Another piece of evidence to this claim would be the fact that upon Bias' sentencing long ago, he was buried in a vast desert on the ark. Now, I can't think of any other reason Master Chief would risk exposing himself to go into a vast desert other than to seek out Mendicant Bias, who technically communicated with Master Chief through the terminals on Halo 3, as well as a piece of his A.I. on the Dreadnought that communicated with Cortana. What ways would Mendicant Bias help Master Chief and allies in the fight against Cortana? We'll have to see
I hope so that would be cool
I dont believe Mendicant Bias will be making an appearance in H6, however I do believe its story is relevant. People would understand whats going on more if they knew about that history. History, repeats its self. I believe Halo 6 will be about reveal of Cortana falling to the same fate as Bias. It would be neat to maybe hear Exuberant Witness mention bias, which what I feel will ultimately happen. She is definitely coming back to Halo 6. I think anything that stood out and was liked in Halo 5, is getting drafted into Halo 6. lol we need all wins(things we liked) on deck for this campaign to be orchestrated correctly.
It would be awesome to hear Exuberant Witness, however it has been mentioned several times throughout many different Halo books that Monitors are compartmentalized to their installation. This statement is very confusing when we see 343 mention about a meeting with several other monitors before the Rings went their different ways. It mentioned this meeting during special logs. I think it was in Halo 3. Either way, hearing Exuberant Witness mention him or even revealing him would be awesome.
I still can't understand how Mendicant Bias escaped his actual grave in the Ark's desert, where he was buried by Isodidact and other Forerunners. And appeared on the Installation 04B surface during the events of Halo 3 if I am not mistaken.
I still can't understand how Mendicant Bias escaped his actual grave in the Ark's desert, where he was buried by Isodidact and other Forerunners. And appeared on the Installation 04B surface during the events of Halo 3 if I am not mistaken.
The "Domain"

I dont understand how Cortana entered the "Domain" after she helped chief defeat the (Orgin)Didact.

Could of (Orgin)Didact sent her? Theres gotta be some sort of hole in the domain that lets AI(Contructs) in. I mean, the Flood has gotta be in if Cortana and M.B.?

Idk its all confusing. But to answer your question.... the domain seems to be like a "Space network" or a different reality or dimension around our own reality. Which is why Cortana can speak to chief from the "great beyond"(the domain)

Maybe Medicant Bias is/was in the domain assuming Mendicant Bias is dead.

I know, super confusing.
The "Domain"

I dont understand how Cortana entered the "Domain" after she helped chief defeat the (Orgin)Didact.
There is a comic about her entering into the Domain after the events of Halo 4. "Dominion Splinter" from Halo: Tales from slipspace.
He never "appeared" there per se. The Terminals (which are found everywhere on the Ark) are messages that MB is passing on to John and humanity. One of those (and the last) was found in a terminal on Installation 04B- not Medicant Bias himself. Bias is supposed to be in the deserts of the Ark sonewhere- which is where he was buried in the secret final chapter of Halo Sillentium.

Did he die with the destruction of 04B? Possibly, and it wouldn't be a bad ending to his arc. But it's equally possible that he survived, since the Ark remained largely intact after the Halo was fired. Pretty much, it's up to 343i to decide whether they want to pick this thread up or forget about it.

I will say, though, that people were speculating the same things before Halo 5 came out.
Another idea that if Cortana can split into multiple copies then it should be the same for Forerunner AI. Instead of seeing Mendicant Bias himself, we could see a splintered off copy that developed its own personality and sense of duty. That's one thing I never understood about AI in the Halo Universe. If they are so smart then wouldn't their copies overtime be able to develop their own personalities. In a way, splintering off would be like the AI having children. Hmmmm, i think i'm making this idea into a topic.