Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Modern Knowledge of Affairs in the Halo Galaxy

OP UrD1dact

I sometimes wonder how well informed human citizens are on the current state of the galaxy, so i have a couple of questions.

1. Do human civilians know of the Flood threat?
2. Are human citizens aware of the former Forerunner civilisation?
3. During the Covenant war, how well informed were UEG citizens on the Covenant?

And finally...

4. Are ANY races in the Halo universe, apart from any surviving Forerunners, aware of the Precursors? I ask this because they are mentioned in the ONI report at the start of Silentium. I think it would be better if, for the time being, they were left completely unknown to the modern galaxy. And then in a future Halo instalment, it can be revealed through terminals or some other way that all living beings are creations of space-gods, and then everyone can act surprised.
1. yes, after the war an innie mentioned the flood threat in the kilo five trilogy
2.yes, many of them. whether it be the knowledge of the covenant worshipping them or just by hearing about tech. ONI doesn't exactly let out a whole bunch about just how powerful and their tech really is so they don't know a lot about what the forerunner did but do they do know that they hunt down forerunner artifacts. I feel like that is just something you pick up by reading the books
3.VERY informed. there's no way to cover up an alien force wiping out your species.
4. I assume there might be some very basic knowledge in high parts of ONI or research departments only because I assume they found information in old forerunner terminals.
UrD1dact wrote:
I sometimes wonder how well informed human citizens are on the current state of the galaxy, so i have a couple of questions.

3. During the Covenant war, how well informed were UEG citizens on the Covenant?

And finally...

4. Are ANY races in the Halo universe, apart from any surviving Forerunners, aware of the Precursors? I ask this because they are mentioned in the ONI report at the start of Silentium. I think it would be better if, for the time being, they were left completely unknown to the modern galaxy. And then in a future Halo instalment, it can be revealed through terminals or some other way that all living beings are creations of space-gods, and then everyone can act surprised.
1: The general public knows nothing about the Flood.
2: The UNSC has tried to keep the Forerunners under wraps, but civilians find Forerunner Installations and relics on various colony worlds. They know that it is powerful stuff that the government makes disappear, but not much beyond that.
3: Most of Humanity was kept completely in the dark regarding the Covenant late into the war. When Corbulo was destroyed, no one there even knew aliens existed.
4: The only way anyone would find out is if they read it in Forerunner records, or if the Flood tells them and lets them live. If the Covenant had discovered the Precursors, they would have probably shifted their focus of worship from the Forerunners to the Precursors, so I doubt they found out.
1. yes, after the war an innie mentioned the flood threat in the kilo five trilogy
Can you say which book and maybe the page?
I cant remember that and couldnt also find anything about this in the web.
JNDreher wrote:
UrD1dact wrote:

And finally...

1: The general public knows nothing about the Flood.
2: The UNSC has tried to keep the Forerunners under wraps, but civilians find Forerunner Installations and relics on various colony worlds. They know that it is powerful stuff that the government makes disappear, but not much beyond that.
3: Most of Humanity was kept completely in the dark regarding the Covenant late into the war. When Corbulo was destroyed, no one there even knew aliens existed.
4: The only way anyone would find out is if they read it in Forerunner records, or if the Flood tells them and lets them live. If the Covenant had discovered the Precursors, they would have probably shifted their focus of worship from the Forerunners to the Precursors, so I doubt they found out.
ONI has found records of the Precursors in the Bornsteller Relation(Halo:Cryptum) and a series of Forerunner logs extracted from two sources: the carapace of a deceased Catalog (designated Forerunner remains #879) and a damaged monitor(Halo: Silentium). Obviously they're not gonna let the human civilian populace or the ex-Covenant species know about them.
Can you say which book and maybe the page?
I cant remember that and couldnt also find anything about this in the web.
it's been a while since I've read it so I can't name exactly where it is in there but I remember someone mentioning it to one of the odst's on the team. I'll have to dig though my books later and let you know when I find it.
It's somewhere in Mortal Dictata I think. Naomi's terrorist dad mentions them. I don't think it necessarily means the general populace knows though. He may have stumbled upon knowledge of it while trying to datamine ONI's stuff.
If little billy was to go visit his grandma on harvest in 2531... well little billy would be in for a hell of a visit.

Yes humans were well aware of the covenant threat.
When you really think about it, readers of the Lore are about as well informed as ONI is in the halo universe. We know everything that has been brought up, but subconsciously we also know that ONI and the UNSC hide some of this information as classified.