Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Monitors and Engineers

OP The True Xato

So maybe this has been answered in the forerunner books I haven't got to yet but, why did the forerunners bother with monitors at all when they can make engineers to watch over and repair any installation? Monitors seem too easily corruptible, and less able to interact with the environment around them than engineers. They can't make more of each other or repair themselves, and they want to preserve the forerunner legacy rather than some monitors who wish it was forgotten. So...why make both to begin with?
I doubt Engineers would be any use besides the maintenance and repair of the ring. What if there was a Flood outbreak? What if other species discover the ring? Engineers can’t coordinate the security of the ring, I doubt they’d be able to direct a Reclaimer to firing the rings as required, in fact communications between engineers and the other raced is inherently more difficult than the monitor, either needing to create a new machine or learning the sign language.

Aside from that, I’m not sure if engineers age, but monitors are definitely more durable and probably last longer. Plus, engineers can be unpredictable, while (not counting for a hundred thousand years alone to cause rampancy) monitors can be relied on to follow protocols to the letter.
If engineers are given specific instructions, they seem to follow them to a fault though. (as seen with Prone to Drift and the others in onyx). Not sure if they have the ability to control sentinels though, but I don't see that as outside of their ability though. The age though is a good point, that hasn't been really explored since Prone and other 1st gen forerunner engineers were living in time displacement.
Monitors can teleport, control installations telepathically, and are forced to follow Forerunner instructions. Engineers were more of tools on an assembly to the Forerunners. Monitors were also more of a secret than engineers because engineers could work for anyone and were always peaceful, unlike Monitors.
I doubt Engineers would be any use besides the maintenance and repair of the ring. What if there was a Flood outbreak? What if other species discover the ring? Engineers can’t coordinate the security of the ring, I doubt they’d be able to direct a Reclaimer to firing the rings as required, in fact communications between engineers and the other raced is inherently more difficult than the monitor, either needing to create a new machine or learning the sign language.

Aside from that, I’m not sure if engineers age, but monitors are definitely more durable and probably last longer. Plus, engineers can be unpredictable, while (not counting for a hundred thousand years alone to cause rampancy) monitors can be relied on to follow protocols to the letter.
Engineers also don’t have a lot of speedy-dodgy techniques to avoid damage while the monitors were faster and could easily avoid threats (if they’re not too busy bragging about their masters).
Monitors are more easily controlled by the Forerunner, and I'd imagine that they would be better caretakers of halo installations because they have offensive capabilities and are more durable.

I don't know, the Engineers seen on Onyx were pretty capable and coordinated. Monitors do have the benefit of being able to take greater physical damage, along with their face lasers and ability to directly communicate to other species, while Engineers are delicate but better suited for direct physical tending.