Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

More mishandled death

OP Perserverance23

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
elGocsila wrote:
I think the didact is not dead
Which is why I put quotations around death for him
The way I see it, the Didact was more mishandled. Jul was an interesting character while he was around, but ultimately his only true motivation was revenge against the UNSC for the death of his wife. He built himself up among the Hesduros Sangheili as a religious zealot to garner support, but wasn't as committed as the Servants of the Abiding Truth. While I hate the way he just died in an anti-climatic cutscene, his character arc didn't really have anywhere else to go imo. If his story continued, I fear he would have turned into Team Rocket from the Pokemon series in the sense that he would keep trying, get defeated, and come back to try again. There are only so many times a character can do that before they become a caricature of themselves.

The Didact on the other hand had so much more potential. His character arc seemed to stop mid-development. There was potential for redemption, betrayal, defeat, rise, fall, you name it. He could have had such an incredible impact on the galaxy but instead he was just cut short in a comic book. He was explored so heavily in the Forerunner trilogy, but all of that was wasted when he just became a generic villain who was defeated in a QTE then defeated again in a comic book.
Neither of them should have been introduced in the first place. They are easily the two lamest villains in Halo so far.
ECN Knight wrote:
Neither of them should have been introduced in the first place. They are easily the two lamest villains in Halo so far.
Completely disagree
ECN Knight wrote:
Neither of them should have been introduced in the first place. They are easily the two lamest villains in Halo so far.
Completely disagree
And I completely respect you for it.
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
Neither of them should have been introduced in the first place. They are easily the two lamest villains in Halo so far.
Completely disagree
And I completely respect you for it.
What makes them lame?
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
Neither of them should have been introduced in the first place. They are easily the two lamest villains in Halo so far.
Completely disagree
And I completely respect you for it.
What makes them lame?
They are just lame characters in general. One is completely incompetent and the other is only interesting because he is a promethean. Feel free to disagree, but that's my opinion.
This is funny one
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
Neither of them should have been introduced in the first place. They are easily the two lamest villains in Halo so far.
Completely disagree
And I completely respect you for it.
What makes them lame?
They are just lame characters in general. One is completely incompetent and the other is only interesting because he is a promethean. Feel free to disagree, but that's my opinion.
Did you even read anything about them? Or is this based on how they were portrayed in halo 4 and 5?
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
Neither of them should have been introduced in the first place. They are easily the two lamest villains in Halo so far.
Completely disagree
And I completely respect you for it.
What makes them lame?
They are just lame characters in general. One is completely incompetent and the other is only interesting because he is a promethean. Feel free to disagree, but that's my opinion.
Did you even read anything about them? Or is this based on how they were portrayed in halo 4 and 5?
Are you seriously considering to make the argument, that I have to buy a book in order to like and understand the characters present in a video game? This isn't the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. There is but one portrayal that matters in Halo, and that's the video games. Everything else is just filler.
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
Neither of them should have been introduced in the first place. They are easily the two lamest villains in Halo so far.
Completely disagree
And I completely respect you for it.
What makes them lame?
They are just lame characters in general. One is completely incompetent and the other is only interesting because he is a promethean. Feel free to disagree, but that's my opinion.
Did you even read anything about them? Or is this based on how they were portrayed in halo 4 and 5?
Are you seriously considering to make the argument, that I have to buy a book in order to like and understand the characters present in a video game? This isn't the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. There is but one portrayal that matters in Halo, and that's the video games. Everything else is just filler.
Wow that escalated.How can you fully judge a character based on less then 15 mins of screen time? And I'd argue a few of the halo novels are better then a couple of the games
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
Neither of them should have been introduced in the first place. They are easily the two lamest villains in Halo so far.
Completely disagree
And I completely respect you for it.
What makes them lame?
They are just lame characters in general. One is completely incompetent and the other is only interesting because he is a promethean. Feel free to disagree, but that's my opinion.
Did you even read anything about them? Or is this based on how they were portrayed in halo 4 and 5?
Are you seriously considering to make the argument, that I have to buy a book in order to like and understand the characters present in a video game? This isn't the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. There is but one portrayal that matters in Halo, and that's the video games. Everything else is just filler.
Wow that escalated.How can you fully judge a character based on less then 15 mins of screen time? And I'd argue a few of the halo novels are better then a couple of the games
I'm mearly responding to your snarky questions. "Did you even read anything about them?", as if you are some book elitist. I normally judge a character a lot faster than that. I don't need to know someone's life story to decide whether I like them or not. Well if you like the books then that's great, we are all entitled to our own opinions. But I'm here for the games, which is the reason for Halos popularity, not the books.
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
Neither of them should have been introduced in the first place. They are easily the two lamest villains in Halo so far.
Completely disagree
And I completely respect you for it.
What makes them lame?
They are just lame characters in general. One is completely incompetent and the other is only interesting because he is a promethean. Feel free to disagree, but that's my opinion.
Did you even read anything about them? Or is this based on how they were portrayed in halo 4 and 5?
I'm mearly responding to your snarky questions. "Did you even read anything about them?", as if you are some book elitist. I normally judge a character a lot faster than that. I don't need to know someone's life story to decide whether I like them or not. Well if you like the books then that's great, we are all entitled to our own opinions. But I'm here for the games, which is the reason for Halos popularity, not the books.
How about the halo 4 terminals? They appear in-game and expand on the didact.
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
Neither of them should have been introduced in the first place. They are easily the two lamest villains in Halo so far.
Completely disagree
And I completely respect you for it.
What makes them lame?
They are just lame characters in general. One is completely incompetent and the other is only interesting because he is a promethean. Feel free to disagree, but that's my opinion.
Did you even read anything about them? Or is this based on how they were portrayed in halo 4 and 5?
Are you seriously considering to make the argument, that I have to buy a book in order to like and understand the characters present in a video game? This isn't the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. There is but one portrayal that matters in Halo, and that's the video games. Everything else is just filler.
Wow that escalated.How can you fully judge a character based on less then 15 mins of screen time? And I'd argue a few of the halo novels are better then a couple of the games
I'm mearly responding to your snarky questions. "Did you even read anything about them?", as if you are some book elitist. I normally judge a character a lot faster than that. I don't need to know someone's life story to decide whether I like them or not. Well if you like the books then that's great, we are all entitled to our own opinions. But I'm here for the games, which is the reason for Halos popularity, not the books.
Nothing about my questions was snarky,I was legitimately asking.You do need longer then 15 mins of screen time to be able to properly judge them though.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
Neither of them should have been introduced in the first place. They are easily the two lamest villains in Halo so far.
Completely disagree
And I completely respect you for it.
What makes them lame?
They are just lame characters in general. One is completely incompetent and the other is only interesting because he is a promethean. Feel free to disagree, but that's my opinion.
Did you even read anything about them? Or is this based on how they were portrayed in halo 4 and 5?
I'm mearly responding to your snarky questions. "Did you even read anything about them?", as if you are some book elitist. I normally judge a character a lot faster than that. I don't need to know someone's life story to decide whether I like them or not. Well if you like the books then that's great, we are all entitled to our own opinions. But I'm here for the games, which is the reason for Halos popularity, not the books.
How about the halo 4 terminals? They appear in-game and expand on the didact.
Yes, I have watched most of them I believe. But they just made me like the Didact even less as a character.

ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
Neither of them should have been introduced in the first place. They are easily the two lamest villains in Halo so far.
Completely disagree
And I completely respect you for it.
What makes them lame?
They are just lame characters in general. One is completely incompetent and the other is only interesting because he is a promethean. Feel free to disagree, but that's my opinion.
Did you even read anything about them? Or is this based on how they were portrayed in halo 4 and 5?
Are you seriously considering to make the argument, that I have to buy a book in order to like and understand the characters present in a video game? This isn't the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. There is but one portrayal that matters in Halo, and that's the video games. Everything else is just filler.
Wow that escalated.How can you fully judge a character based on less then 15 mins of screen time? And I'd argue a few of the halo novels are better then a couple of the games
I'm mearly responding to your snarky questions. "Did you even read anything about them?", as if you are some book elitist. I normally judge a character a lot faster than that. I don't need to know someone's life story to decide whether I like them or not. Well if you like the books then that's great, we are all entitled to our own opinions. But I'm here for the games, which is the reason for Halos popularity, not the books.
Nothing about my questions was snarky,I was legitimately asking.You do need longer then 15 mins of screen time to be able to properly judge them though.
Then perhaps you should choose your words more carefully next time to avoid confusion. But I apologize if I that's the case. Dude, you don't know me and I don't need more than 15 minutes of screen time to decide if I like a character or not. If the writers did a bad job of portraying the characters in Halo 4 and 5 then that's not my problem. Maybe if they did a better job I would perhaps had been interested in learning more about them, but they didn't. So here we are. If you like the new characters then that's cool by me, but don't sit there and try and criticize my opinion just because you don't agree with it.
ECN Knight wrote:
Ado Ulamee wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
Neither of them should have been introduced in the first place. They are easily the two lamest villains in Halo so far.
Completely disagree
And I completely respect you for it.
What makes them lame?
They are just lame characters in general. One is completely incompetent and the other is only interesting because he is a promethean. Feel free to disagree, but that's my opinion.
Did you even read anything about them? Or is this based on how they were portrayed in halo 4 and 5?
I'm mearly responding to your snarky questions. "Did you even read anything about them?", as if you are some book elitist. I normally judge a character a lot faster than that. I don't need to know someone's life story to decide whether I like them or not. Well if you like the books then that's great, we are all entitled to our own opinions. But I'm here for the games, which is the reason for Halos popularity, not the books.
How about the halo 4 terminals? They appear in-game and expand on the didact.
Yes, I have watched most of them I believe. But they just made me like the Didact even less as a character.

ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
Neither of them should have been introduced in the first place. They are easily the two lamest villains in Halo so far.
Completely disagree
And I completely respect you for it.
What makes them lame?
They are just lame characters in general. One is completely incompetent and the other is only interesting because he is a promethean. Feel free to disagree, but that's my opinion.
Did you even read anything about them? Or is this based on how they were portrayed in halo 4 and 5?
Are you seriously considering to make the argument, that I have to buy a book in order to like and understand the characters present in a video game? This isn't the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. There is but one portrayal that matters in Halo, and that's the video games. Everything else is just filler.
Wow that escalated.How can you fully judge a character based on less then 15 mins of screen time? And I'd argue a few of the halo novels are better then a couple of the games
I'm mearly responding to your snarky questions. "Did you even read anything about them?", as if you are some book elitist. I normally judge a character a lot faster than that. I don't need to know someone's life story to decide whether I like them or not. Well if you like the books then that's great, we are all entitled to our own opinions. But I'm here for the games, which is the reason for Halos popularity, not the books.
Nothing about my questions was snarky,I was legitimately asking.You do need longer then 15 mins of screen time to be able to properly judge them though.
Then perhaps you should choose your words more carefully next time to avoid confusion. But I apologize if I that's the case. Dude, you don't know me and I don't need more than 15 minutes of screen time to decide if I like a character or not. If the writers did a bad job of portraying the characters in Halo 4 and 5 then that's not my problem. Maybe if they did a better job I would perhaps had been interested in learning more about them, but they didn't. So here we are. If you like the new characters then that's cool by me, but don't sit there and try and criticize my opinion just because you don't agree with it.
I'm done with this,you're misinterpreting what I'm saying and getting defensive for no reason.If you're so quick to judge a video game character I wonder how fast you judge a person
ECN Knight wrote:
Ado Ulamee wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
Neither of them should have been introduced in the first place. They are easily the two lamest villains in Halo so far.
Completely disagree
And I completely respect you for it.
What makes them lame?
They are just lame characters in general. One is completely incompetent and the other is only interesting because he is a promethean. Feel free to disagree, but that's my opinion.
Did you even read anything about them? Or is this based on how they were portrayed in halo 4 and 5?
I'm mearly responding to your snarky questions. "Did you even read anything about them?", as if you are some book elitist. I normally judge a character a lot faster than that. I don't need to know someone's life story to decide whether I like them or not. Well if you like the books then that's great, we are all entitled to our own opinions. But I'm here for the games, which is the reason for Halos popularity, not the books.
How about the halo 4 terminals? They appear in-game and expand on the didact.
Yes, I have watched most of them I believe. But they just made me like the Didact even less as a character.

ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
ECN Knight wrote:
Neither of them should have been introduced in the first place. They are easily the two lamest villains in Halo so far.
Completely disagree
And I completely respect you for it.
What makes them lame?
They are just lame characters in general. One is completely incompetent and the other is only interesting because he is a promethean. Feel free to disagree, but that's my opinion.
Did you even read anything about them? Or is this based on how they were portrayed in halo 4 and 5?
Are you seriously considering to make the argument, that I have to buy a book in order to like and understand the characters present in a video game? This isn't the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. There is but one portrayal that matters in Halo, and that's the video games. Everything else is just filler.
Wow that escalated.How can you fully judge a character based on less then 15 mins of screen time? And I'd argue a few of the halo novels are better then a couple of the games
I'm mearly responding to your snarky questions. "Did you even read anything about them?", as if you are some book elitist. I normally judge a character a lot faster than that. I don't need to know someone's life story to decide whether I like them or not. Well if you like the books then that's great, we are all entitled to our own opinions. But I'm here for the games, which is the reason for Halos popularity, not the books.
Nothing about my questions was snarky,I was legitimately asking.You do need longer then 15 mins of screen time to be able to properly judge them though.
Then perhaps you should choose your words more carefully next time to avoid confusion. But I apologize if I that's the case. Dude, you don't know me and I don't need more than 15 minutes of screen time to decide if I like a character or not. If the writers did a bad job of portraying the characters in Halo 4 and 5 then that's not my problem. Maybe if they did a better job I would perhaps had been interested in learning more about them, but they didn't. So here we are. If you like the new characters then that's cool by me, but don't sit there and try and criticize my opinion just because you don't agree with it.
I'm done with this,you're misinterpreting what I'm saying and getting defensive for no reason.If you're so quick to judge a video game character I wonder how fast you judge a person
And you say I'm the one getting defensive... 😅 Have you ever heard of first impressions?
The Didact's arc is the culmination of a trilogy of books, seeing evidence of the Forerunners greatness in like 6 games and 100,000 years of time. He was the Forerunner General who could not let the glory of the past go (this could have been a character arc of growth towards his eventual redemption in the face of a larger threat) and they threw him away in a really bad comic (Halo comics are rarely even decent to begin with)
With the build-up on Jul, I was disappointed he went down so easily in Halo 5, right at the beginning.

That said, I felt like it was demonstrative of the increasing lethality and prowess of the SPARTAN program. Fireteam OSIRIS moves in, executes, and egresses quickly, cleanly, and without ado. It made me feel as if they (SPARTANs in general and Humanity by extension) were becoming seasoned operators against now routine Covenant holdouts and the "real" threat the Forerunners pose to Humanity.
Me personally, it was Jul, for the simple fact that that cutscene exemplifies that change in Elites from very fast and agile enemies to slow lumbering ones.

Cheers,
Brad
Couldn’t agree more, well stated.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3