Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Most important books to read before Infinite comes

OP Matteo1987054

In this last year I started reading halo books, I read the whole Bear trilogy, the first one, a lot of books like broken circle, battleborn, silent storm, and I am finishing reading The ghosts of onyx, lately I have recovered halo wars 2 and I am thinking of deepening the Banished, since I want to know more, but having said that, what are the most important books and on which I should pay attention before the release of infinite? so as soon as I get the chance I will focus on those!
The Alpha 9 books (specifically Bad Blood, though I’d recommend New Blood for the context it provides) explain some of the events directly after Halo 5, so may be useful.
Fractures also features a couple of stories set immediately after Halo 5, so these should all help build up an idea of the galaxy after Halo 5 (assuming Infinite doesn’t retcon some of this with the time jump I heard about).
Guide thing: Read the Rise of Atriox comic series and the in-game phoenix logs (skip-able) for the Banished. You should read Shadow's of Reach which is available for preorder and will come out in October. The Forrunner trilogy talks about the fall of the Forrunners and Zeta Halo along with other characters we may see in the game. And also replay Halo 5 to catch up.
General knowledge:
  • New Blood and Bad Blood. I'd say really just Bad Blood, but you won't understand it without reading New Blood as well.
  • Shadows of Reach when it releases in a few months
Banished knowledge:
  • Rise of Atriox
I'm hoping 343 has learned their lesson about injecting too much outside lore into a game though. So I don't expect that you will NEED to know what happened in the above novels and comics to appreciate the game.
General knowledge:
  • New Blood and Bad Blood. I'd say really just Bad Blood, but you won't understand it without reading New Blood as well.
Banished knowledge:
  • Rise of Atriox
I'm hoping 343 has learned their lesson about injecting too much outside lore into a game though. So I don't expect that you will NEED to know what happened in the above novels and comics to appreciate the game.
I had heard that tales from slipspace also spoke of the banished, isn't it?
General knowledge:
Banished knowledge:
  • Rise of Atriox
I had heard that tales from slipspace also spoke of the banished, isn't it?
Oh yeah! Hunting Party is the story in that graphic novel. It's about how Atriox gained the allegiance of the Silent Shadow amid the fall of the Covenant.
I hope so too.
This might go without saying but the upcoming Shadows of Reach novel being released in September.
The ones with Alpha 9, "most importantly," the Forerunner Saga books and "maybe" the Kilo 5 books will be all you need before Infinite.
Aye, that's one of my main worries for Infinite too, because although people like me (who have a deep understanding of the lore) will likely be okay in terms of undertsanding the story, it does affect the poluation and relevancy of the game as well as it's overall reputation. It's the last thing I want to see happen for Infinite