Forums / Community / Halo Universe

My thoughts on Jul 'Mdama

OP TECH PON3

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Jul 'Mdama was 343i anti truth but clearly something happened behind the scenes to change their focus on him. He had so much potential yet he died on the first mission in H5G which is frustrating. He was the only elite that didn't care about the Forerunners, his faction was a real threat to humanity in the post-war era, and if he did survive then he could had join Atrox. But if he had to die in H5G he should had at least died to arbiter. Only thing Jul 'Mdama is now is a boss in warzone which is slightly annoying to any fan who liked him. Jul' did have a son but I think 343i will not use his son for anything important in the future or will just kill him.

In Halo Infinite if there is playable elites I hope Jul 'Mdama armor is a thing to earn (plus his armor is pretty cool). Anyways have a nice day or night.
Just a head's up but if this turns into being about playable Elites, we'll be locking this.

FYI.
Just a head's up but if this turns into being about playable Elites, we'll be locking this.

FYI.
Tbh if it does then i'm sorry I started a issue
I think it would have been more interesting if he had eventually learned that not all humans were a threat like he thought. Though I am curious on what 343 originally planned for him.
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
Atriox and Lasky are pretty cool.
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
Buck is only likeable because of ODST and Nathon Fillion’s superb acting. Boring as hell is totally unlikeable. If I don’t find someone even slightly interesting, why would I like them.
Characters having good stories behind them outside of the video game doesn’t matter. The vast majority of people don’t read the novels and don’t care to. If 343i had good writers, they’d be able to create an interesting character in the video game. Relying on outside media isn’t an excuse for horrible writing.
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
Buck is only likeable because of ODST and Nathon Fillion’s superb acting. Boring as hell is totally unlikeable. If I don’t find someone even slightly interesting, why would I like them.
Characters having good stories behind them outside of the video game doesn’t matter. The vast majority of people don’t read the novels and don’t care to. If 343i had good writers, they’d be able to create an interesting character in the video game. Relying on outside media isn’t an excuse for horrible writing.
I don't see how because the majority of fans do not explore the expanded material that their characters are now 'discounted'. My original issue was how you believed every 343 character was a joke. But clearly the expanded lore demonstrates otherwise. So it seems your are picking and choosing what does and does not count as a 343 character to further support your conclusion. I'm not saying it's an excuse by any means.- but my point is you can't outright discard every character 343 has ever written as a joke because that is just not true.
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
Buck is only likeable because of ODST and Nathon Fillion’s superb acting. Boring as hell is totally unlikeable. If I don’t find someone even slightly interesting, why would I like them.
Characters having good stories behind them outside of the video game doesn’t matter. The vast majority of people don’t read the novels and don’t care to. If 343i had good writers, they’d be able to create an interesting character in the video game. Relying on outside media isn’t an excuse for horrible writing.
I don't see how because the majority of fans do not explore the expanded material that their characters are now 'discounted'. My original issue was how you believed every 343 character was a joke. But clearly the expanded lore demonstrates otherwise. So it seems your are picking and choosing what does and does not count as a 343 character to further support your conclusion. I'm not saying it's an excuse by any means.- but my point is you can't outright discard every character 343 has ever written as a joke because that is just not true.
The expanded lore isn't written by the same people who write the games.
And I think it is true. Bungie weren't the greatest story tellers in the world, in-fact they were pretty average if not worse (not that I'm an expert or anything, this is just my pedestrian opinion, I've never written for anything), but they knew how to be effective. I don't think 343i does to quite that extent. The cutscenes are fantastically well done, but whereas I care for Cortana, Sgt. Johnson, the ODST's, Noble Team, hell even the marines were incredibly memorable etc. I can't even recall anyone from Halo 4 besides Chief, Cortana, the old angry dude, Lasky and Palmer. Only 2 of which I like, Lasky and Chief. And one of which (Lasky) I can't even recall his character arch or what he does in the game, and one of which speaks very little and is from the previous Bungie games. That's a big issue.

Sorry to have a discussion and end it so abruptly but I'm not all that interested in the series anyway in terms of story so this conversation is lost on me. I appreciate that we could have differing opinions and still have a friendly conversation, though.
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
Buck is only likeable because of ODST and Nathon Fillion’s superb acting. Boring as hell is totally unlikeable. If I don’t find someone even slightly interesting, why would I like them.
Characters having good stories behind them outside of the video game doesn’t matter. The vast majority of people don’t read the novels and don’t care to. If 343i had good writers, they’d be able to create an interesting character in the video game. Relying on outside media isn’t an excuse for horrible writing.
I don't see how because the majority of fans do not explore the expanded material that their characters are now 'discounted'. My original issue was how you believed every 343 character was a joke. But clearly the expanded lore demonstrates otherwise. So it seems your are picking and choosing what does and does not count as a 343 character to further support your conclusion. I'm not saying it's an excuse by any means.- but my point is you can't outright discard every character 343 has ever written as a joke because that is just not true.
The expanded lore isn't written by the same people who write the games.
And I think it is true. Bungie weren't the greatest story tellers in the world, in-fact they were pretty average if not worse (not that I'm an expert or anything, this is just my pedestrian opinion, I've never written for anything), but they knew how to be effective. I don't think 343i does to quite that extent. The cutscenes are fantastically well done, but whereas I care for Cortana, Sgt. Johnson, the ODST's, Noble Team, hell even the marines were incredibly memorable etc. I can't even recall anyone from Halo 4 besides Chief, Cortana, the old angry dude, Lasky and Palmer. Only 2 of which I like, Lasky and Chief. And one of which (Lasky) I can't even recall his character arch or what he does in the game, and one of which speaks very little and is from the previous Bungie games. That's a big issue.

Sorry to have a discussion and end it so abruptly but I'm not all that interested in the series anyway in terms of story so this conversation is lost on me. I appreciate that we could have differing opinions and still have a friendly conversation, though.
That's cool no worries. Always fun to have discussions on these sorts of things.
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
I'm not sure Jul actually knew what the artefact actually did. It seemed more like a stroke of luck.
Also the plan hinges on the UNSC taking the artefact onboard Infinity (which is a very stupid idea really), so what if they hadn't?
rip in the chat for jul 'mdama press Q to pay respects :(
TECH PON3 wrote:
He was the only elite that didn't care about the Forerunners, his faction was a real threat to humanity in the post-war era, and if he did survive then he could had join Atrox.
I thought the whole point of him in Spartan Ops was that he wanted to meet the librarian and get the forerunner technology on Requiem. So while no he didn't religiously love the forerunners as gods, he did seem to really care about their weapons and tech.

As for being a threat to Humanity post-war:
  • Infinity seems to have taken on that whole battle group outside Requiem in the opening of Spartan Ops. So with Infinity and her sister ship (whenever it was/is set to be completed) it seems that humanity is actually faring the best post-war. Yeah we lost 20+ billion and hundreds of planets but we still seem to be able to build bigger and better ships, defense platforms, military equipment en masse and still afford to create a new spartan program that basically puts "normal" human soldiers on par with elites.
  • Spartan IV's are being trained en masse and so humans and elites will soon be "equals" in 1v1 combat on the battlefield (instead of, you know 5 marines vs 1 elite).
  • besides terrorism (like that one nuke that they almost set off in that live action thing a few years ago [part of the series where Locke goes to the remains of Installation 04]), I don't really know of any massive damage caused by Jul's forces (unless they actually assaulted a planet in force?).
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
I'm not sure Jul actually knew what the artefact actually did. It seemed more like a stroke of luck.
Also the plan hinges on the UNSC taking the artefact onboard Infinity (which is a very stupid idea really), so what if they hadn't?
He did know the function of the artifact. You can see in a cut scene in Spartan Ops that both he and Gek 'Lhar oversaw the Covenant operation pretending to try reclaim the artifact. If he didn't know what the artifact did then why firstly would he devout such a large portion of his forces to ultimately get butchered by the UNSC to make it seem like they were trying to take back the Forerunner device? Secondly the very fact that both he and his his Lieutenant were present on the field shows that this wasn't some stab in the dark plan; he was overseeing the operation personally so it can be assumed he must of had a lot of faith in his plan and subsequently must have been confident in what the device did. Ultimately if he didn't he wouldn't have devoted so much attention to the ploy. And yes it is a very stupid idea to take it on board infinity, which is a testament to his ability to manipulate situations that he actually managed to trick them.
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
I'm not sure Jul actually knew what the artefact actually did. It seemed more like a stroke of luck.
Also the plan hinges on the UNSC taking the artefact onboard Infinity (which is a very stupid idea really), so what if they hadn't?
He did know the function of the artifact. You can see in a cut scene in Spartan Ops that both he and Gek 'Lhar oversaw the Covenant operation pretending to try reclaim the artifact. If he didn't know what the artifact did then why firstly would he devout such a large portion of his forces to ultimately get butchered by the UNSC to make it seem like they were trying to take back the Forerunner device? Secondly the very fact that both he and his his Lieutenant were present on the field shows that this wasn't some stab in the dark plan; he was overseeing the operation personally so it can be assumed he must of had a lot of faith in his plan and subsequently must have been confident in what the device did. Ultimately if he didn't he wouldn't have devoted so much attention to the ploy. And yes it is a very stupid idea to take it on board infinity, which is a testament to his ability to manipulate situations that he actually managed to trick them.
You are confusing the Artefact and the Promethean Soul.
There was no cutscene of Jul overseeing the Artefact operation. He also was trying to excavate the other two Artefacts with the Harvester, which he wouldn't have done if he really knew the function of said artefact, it just made it easier for the UNSC to escape.
As for the Promethean soul, it is unclear what Jul's intentions were. It is possible that he did indeed drop the device as he was escaping, or he may have done it on purpose. The problem is that there was no reason for Jul to allow the UNSC access to the device, it only gave them another Forerunner piece to play with.
What potential? He was the lamest villain in Halo history. I'm glad that 343i just got rid off him.
I didn't care for his character at all,but his death was wholly underwhelming.I would've preferred it if the Arbiter slayed him in a duel rather than the fodderization he got from Locke.(even tho I like Locke)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2