Forums / Community / Halo Universe

My thoughts on Jul 'Mdama

OP TECH PON3

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
What potential? He was the lamest villain in Halo history. I'm glad that 343i just got rid off him.
Yes lets get rid of everything from H4 oh wait H5G basically did that
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
I'm not sure Jul actually knew what the artefact actually did. It seemed more like a stroke of luck.
Also the plan hinges on the UNSC taking the artefact onboard Infinity (which is a very stupid idea really), so what if they hadn't?
He did know the function of the artifact. You can see in a cut scene in Spartan Ops that both he and Gek 'Lhar oversaw the Covenant operation pretending to try reclaim the artifact. If he didn't know what the artifact did then why firstly would he devout such a large portion of his forces to ultimately get butchered by the UNSC to make it seem like they were trying to take back the Forerunner device? Secondly the very fact that both he and his his Lieutenant were present on the field shows that this wasn't some stab in the dark plan; he was overseeing the operation personally so it can be assumed he must of had a lot of faith in his plan and subsequently must have been confident in what the device did. Ultimately if he didn't he wouldn't have devoted so much attention to the ploy. And yes it is a very stupid idea to take it on board infinity, which is a testament to his ability to manipulate situations that he actually managed to trick them.
You are confusing the Artefact and the Promethean Soul.
There was no cutscene of Jul overseeing the Artefact operation. He also was trying to excavate the other two Artefacts with the Harvester, which he wouldn't have done if he really knew the function of said artefact, it just made it easier for the UNSC to escape.
As for the Promethean soul, it is unclear what Jul's intentions were. It is possible that he did indeed drop the device as he was escaping, or he may have done it on purpose. The problem is that there was no reason for Jul to allow the UNSC access to the device, it only gave them another Forerunner piece to play with.
I was not confusing the two, Jul drops the 'artifact' in game which is shown to be the soul of the Promethean in the cut scene- they are the same device. Honestly i was just too lazy to look up what it was called. And it was not something he did by accident, you can clearly see that he intended the UNSC to take the Promethean Soul, as when Gek 'Lhar stresses that the Spartans have 'their prize' Jul simply lets them get away, the line "And we have put up enough of a display of trying to retrieve it" clearly indicates that Jul wanted to trick the UNCS to take the device. So once they are fooled into taking it on board, Jul was able to successfully contact Halsey on Infinity and then send Promethean forces through it to abduct her.
TECH PON3 wrote:
What potential? He was the lamest villain in Halo history. I'm glad that 343i just got rid off him.
Yes lets get rid of everything from H4 oh wait H5G basically did that
Why are you strawmanning? I wrote that I was glad that they removed a particular character that I did not like. You are free to disagree. But don't twist my words.
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
I'm not sure Jul actually knew what the artefact actually did. It seemed more like a stroke of luck.
Also the plan hinges on the UNSC taking the artefact onboard Infinity (which is a very stupid idea really), so what if they hadn't?
He did know the function of the artifact. You can see in a cut scene in Spartan Ops that both he and Gek 'Lhar oversaw the Covenant operation pretending to try reclaim the artifact. If he didn't know what the artifact did then why firstly would he devout such a large portion of his forces to ultimately get butchered by the UNSC to make it seem like they were trying to take back the Forerunner device? Secondly the very fact that both he and his his Lieutenant were present on the field shows that this wasn't some stab in the dark plan; he was overseeing the operation personally so it can be assumed he must of had a lot of faith in his plan and subsequently must have been confident in what the device did. Ultimately if he didn't he wouldn't have devoted so much attention to the ploy. And yes it is a very stupid idea to take it on board infinity, which is a testament to his ability to manipulate situations that he actually managed to trick them.
You are confusing the Artefact and the Promethean Soul.
There was no cutscene of Jul overseeing the Artefact operation. He also was trying to excavate the other two Artefacts with the Harvester, which he wouldn't have done if he really knew the function of said artefact, it just made it easier for the UNSC to escape.
As for the Promethean soul, it is unclear what Jul's intentions were. It is possible that he did indeed drop the device as he was escaping, or he may have done it on purpose. The problem is that there was no reason for Jul to allow the UNSC access to the device, it only gave them another Forerunner piece to play with.
I was not confusing the two, Jul drops the 'artifact' in game which is shown to be the soul of the Promethean in the cut scene- they are the same device. Honestly i was just too lazy to look up what it was called. And it was not something he did by accident, you can clearly see that he intended the UNSC to take the Promethean Soul, as when Gek 'Lhar stresses that the Spartans have 'their prize' Jul simply lets them get away, the line "And we have put up enough of a display of trying to retrieve it" clearly indicates that Jul wanted to trick the UNCS to take the device. So once they are fooled into taking it on board, Jul was able to successfully contact Halsey on Infinity and then send Promethean forces through it to abduct her.
The promethean soul had nothing to do with Promethean forces being able to board the Infinity. It is merely a memory storage device. What allowed the Prometheans to board is the first artefact recovered of which we have no indication that Jul knew its function.
Whether Jul dropped or "dropped" the device is a moot point since it didn't do anything to the UNSC.
i acctually like Jul Mdama
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
I'm not sure Jul actually knew what the artefact actually did. It seemed more like a stroke of luck.
Also the plan hinges on the UNSC taking the artefact onboard Infinity (which is a very stupid idea really), so what if they hadn't?
He did know the function of the artifact. You can see in a cut scene in Spartan Ops that both he and Gek 'Lhar oversaw the Covenant operation pretending to try reclaim the artifact. If he didn't know what the artifact did then why firstly would he devout such a large portion of his forces to ultimately get butchered by the UNSC to make it seem like they were trying to take back the Forerunner device? Secondly the very fact that both he and his his Lieutenant were present on the field shows that this wasn't some stab in the dark plan; he was overseeing the operation personally so it can be assumed he must of had a lot of faith in his plan and subsequently must have been confident in what the device did. Ultimately if he didn't he wouldn't have devoted so much attention to the ploy. And yes it is a very stupid idea to take it on board infinity, which is a testament to his ability to manipulate situations that he actually managed to trick them.
You are confusing the Artefact and the Promethean Soul.
There was no cutscene of Jul overseeing the Artefact operation. He also was trying to excavate the other two Artefacts with the Harvester, which he wouldn't have done if he really knew the function of said artefact, it just made it easier for the UNSC to escape.
As for the Promethean soul, it is unclear what Jul's intentions were. It is possible that he did indeed drop the device as he was escaping, or he may have done it on purpose. The problem is that there was no reason for Jul to allow the UNSC access to the device, it only gave them another Forerunner piece to play with.
I was not confusing the two, Jul drops the 'artifact' in game which is shown to be the soul of the Promethean in the cut scene- they are the same device. Honestly i was just too lazy to look up what it was called. And it was not something he did by accident, you can clearly see that he intended the UNSC to take the Promethean Soul, as when Gek 'Lhar stresses that the Spartans have 'their prize' Jul simply lets them get away, the line "And we have put up enough of a display of trying to retrieve it" clearly indicates that Jul wanted to trick the UNCS to take the device. So once they are fooled into taking it on board, Jul was able to successfully contact Halsey on Infinity and then send Promethean forces through it to abduct her.
The promethean soul had nothing to do with Promethean forces being able to board the Infinity. It is merely a memory storage device. What allowed the Prometheans to board is the first artefact recovered of which we have no indication that Jul knew its function.
Whether Jul dropped or "dropped" the device is a moot point since it didn't do anything to the UNSC.
Granted, perhaps this isn't the greatest point to illustrate Jul's strategical prowess, chiefly due to the fact you brought up; that is, Jul placed his bets on the UNSC taking the artefact onboard the Infinity, and of course, there is no way he could have possibly known this would happen. That said, we can gleam a lot from his handling of the Promethean's Soul. Clearly Jul doesn't want the UNSC to know what exactly they've found, hence the aforementioned paraphrases, as, if Gek had continued to pursue Majestic in full force then they would've studied it endlessly. Of course, they do this anyway, however the key point here is not necessarily how successful this particular episode was, but how 'Mdama always manages to keep the end in sight rather than the means. Such a mindset is demonstrated by his disputation with 'Lhar regarding the operation at Galileo Base:
Quote:
Gek: Shipmaster 'Mdama! The Humans have their prize! They are near escape! Jul: Let them, Gek. (Spoken much calmer)
Gek: They carry the soul of a Promethean Knight!Jul: And we have made enough of a display of trying to retrieve it.
This juxtaposition serves to showcase Jul's strategical mind, compared to his lieutenants more tactical one.

There are numerous alternate examples during the second Requiem campaign that shows us the same, such as how 'Mdama stationed his most disloyal and least devoted commanders on the side of Requiem that would engage Infinity first. Thus, removing himself of future internal problems and weakening present external ones simultaneously - two birds with one stone if you like. Otherwise, if his success is the general issue for you in not buying this, remember that his Covenant won most engagements on Requiem, as Spartans had to frequently run laps to recover lost territory. And, as for Spartans, lots of them were dealt with too, with notable warriors on par with them.
Gek Lhar wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
I'm not sure Jul actually knew what the artefact actually did. It seemed more like a stroke of luck.
Also the plan hinges on the UNSC taking the artefact onboard Infinity (which is a very stupid idea really), so what if they hadn't?
He did know the function of the artifact. You can see in a cut scene in Spartan Ops that both he and Gek 'Lhar oversaw the Covenant operation pretending to try reclaim the artifact. If he didn't know what the artifact did then why firstly would he devout such a large portion of his forces to ultimately get butchered by the UNSC to make it seem like they were trying to take back the Forerunner device? Secondly the very fact that both he and his his Lieutenant were present on the field shows that this wasn't some stab in the dark plan; he was overseeing the operation personally so it can be assumed he must of had a lot of faith in his plan and subsequently must have been confident in what the device did. Ultimately if he didn't he wouldn't have devoted so much attention to the ploy. And yes it is a very stupid idea to take it on board infinity, which is a testament to his ability to manipulate situations that he actually managed to trick them.
You are confusing the Artefact and the Promethean Soul.
There was no cutscene of Jul overseeing the Artefact operation. He also was trying to excavate the other two Artefacts with the Harvester, which he wouldn't have done if he really knew the function of said artefact, it just made it easier for the UNSC to escape.
As for the Promethean soul, it is unclear what Jul's intentions were. It is possible that he did indeed drop the device as he was escaping, or he may have done it on purpose. The problem is that there was no reason for Jul to allow the UNSC access to the device, it only gave them another Forerunner piece to play with.
I was not confusing the two, Jul drops the 'artifact' in game which is shown to be the soul of the Promethean in the cut scene- they are the same device. Honestly i was just too lazy to look up what it was called. And it was not something he did by accident, you can clearly see that he intended the UNSC to take the Promethean Soul, as when Gek 'Lhar stresses that the Spartans have 'their prize' Jul simply lets them get away, the line "And we have put up enough of a display of trying to retrieve it" clearly indicates that Jul wanted to trick the UNCS to take the device. So once they are fooled into taking it on board, Jul was able to successfully contact Halsey on Infinity and then send Promethean forces through it to abduct her.
The promethean soul had nothing to do with Promethean forces being able to board the Infinity. It is merely a memory storage device. What allowed the Prometheans to board is the first artefact recovered of which we have no indication that Jul knew its function.
Whether Jul dropped or "dropped" the device is a moot point since it didn't do anything to the UNSC.
Granted, perhaps this isn't the greatest point to illustrate Jul's strategical prowess, chiefly due to the fact you brought up; that is, Jul placed his bets on the UNSC taking the artefact onboard the Infinity, and of course, there is no way he could have possibly known this would happen. That said, we can gleam a lot from his handling of the Promethean's Soul. Clearly Jul doesn't want the UNSC to know what exactly they've found, hence the aforementioned paraphrases, as, if Gek had continued to pursue Majestic in full force then they would've studied it endlessly. Of course, they do this anyway, however the key point here is not necessarily how successful this particular episode was, but how 'Mdama always manages to keep the end in sight rather than the means. Such a mindset is demonstrated by his disputation with 'Lhar regarding the operation at Galileo Base:
Quote:
Gek: Shipmaster 'Mdama! The Humans have their prize! They are near escape! Jul: Let them, Gek. (Spoken much calmer)
Gek: They carry the soul of a Promethean Knight!Jul: And we have made enough of a display of trying to retrieve it.
This juxtaposition serves to showcase Jul's strategical mind, compared to his lieutenants more tactical one.

There are numerous alternate examples during the second Requiem campaign that shows us the same, such as how 'Mdama stationed his most disloyal and least devoted commanders on the side of Requiem that would engage Infinity first. Thus, removing himself of future internal problems and weakening present external ones simultaneously - two birds with one stone if you like. Otherwise, if his success is the general issue for you in not buying this, remember that his Covenant won most engagements on Requiem, as Spartans had to frequently run laps to recover lost territory. And, as for Spartans, lots of them were dealt with too, with notable warriors on par with them.
I am aware that Jul is smart, the Kilo 5 trilogy displayed that well enough as does Escalation and Spartan Ops.
I was only pointing that some people give him too much credit. He has limits, which is highlighted in Halo 5 by how quickly his Covenant was falling appart, they even point out that Jul is an opportunist not a leader.
A lot of his power came from the fact that he had control over the Promethean forces, and without which he is as not much of a threat.

As for the rest of what you said:
How do you know the Covenant won most engagements? Also Jul had a whole fleet with him while the UNSC had less manpower comparatively.
Do we know how many Spartans were killed? What notable warriors? On par with who?
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
I'm not sure Jul actually knew what the artefact actually did. It seemed more like a stroke of luck.
Also the plan hinges on the UNSC taking the artefact onboard Infinity (which is a very stupid idea really), so what if they hadn't?
He did know the function of the artifact. You can see in a cut scene in Spartan Ops that both he and Gek 'Lhar oversaw the Covenant operation pretending to try reclaim the artifact. If he didn't know what the artifact did then why firstly would he devout such a large portion of his forces to ultimately get butchered by the UNSC to make it seem like they were trying to take back the Forerunner device? Secondly the very fact that both he and his his Lieutenant were present on the field shows that this wasn't some stab in the dark plan; he was overseeing the operation personally so it can be assumed he must of had a lot of faith in his plan and subsequently must have been confident in what the device did. Ultimately if he didn't he wouldn't have devoted so much attention to the ploy. And yes it is a very stupid idea to take it on board infinity, which is a testament to his ability to manipulate situations that he actually managed to trick them.
You are confusing the Artefact and the Promethean Soul.
There was no cutscene of Jul overseeing the Artefact operation. He also was trying to excavate the other two Artefacts with the Harvester, which he wouldn't have done if he really knew the function of said artefact, it just made it easier for the UNSC to escape.
As for the Promethean soul, it is unclear what Jul's intentions were. It is possible that he did indeed drop the device as he was escaping, or he may have done it on purpose. The problem is that there was no reason for Jul to allow the UNSC access to the device, it only gave them another Forerunner piece to play with.
I was not confusing the two, Jul drops the 'artifact' in game which is shown to be the soul of the Promethean in the cut scene- they are the same device. Honestly i was just too lazy to look up what it was called. And it was not something he did by accident, you can clearly see that he intended the UNSC to take the Promethean Soul, as when Gek 'Lhar stresses that the Spartans have 'their prize' Jul simply lets them get away, the line "And we have put up enough of a display of trying to retrieve it" clearly indicates that Jul wanted to trick the UNCS to take the device. So once they are fooled into taking it on board, Jul was able to successfully contact Halsey on Infinity and then send Promethean forces through it to abduct her.
The promethean soul had nothing to do with Promethean forces being able to board the Infinity. It is merely a memory storage device. What allowed the Prometheans to board is the first artefact recovered of which we have no indication that Jul knew its function.
Whether Jul dropped or "dropped" the device is a moot point since it didn't do anything to the UNSC.
To clear up your misunderstanding, here's the extract from Halopedia:

"When Crimson followed him to the Fortress, he escaped through yet another portal to the Cauldron. When Crimson tracked 'Mdama through the Cauldron he tried to escape again, but not before Commander Sarah Palmer called in an airstrike on 'Mdama's location. He managed to escape, but not before dropping another Forerunner device.[31] 'Mdama oversaw the Covenant's attempt to retrieve the device from Galileo Base with his lieutenant, Gek 'Lhar, but was only creating a diversion for the humans. 'Mdama was actually using the artifact recovered by Fireteam Crimson as a communication terminal, allowing Jul to anonymously communicate with Dr. Catherine Halsey via her datapad and to spy on Infinity."

"Some time later Dr. Halsey contacted 'Mdama, informing him that she had deduced he was her helper but that their alliance could free the Librarian. However, the ship's AI, Roland, was able to recover from Halsey's subterfuge and cut off the connection. After this 'Mdama ordered the Covenant and Prometheans to board Infinity through the artifact to capture Dr. Halsey."

Source:
https://www.halopedia.org/Jul_%27Mdama

Like I said, the artifact 'Mdama drops is the same one that allows Promethean forces to board Infinity. Idk how this could elude to anything other than him having knowledge of the artifact.
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Gek Lhar wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
I'm not sure Jul actually knew what the artefact actually did. It seemed more like a stroke of luck.
Also the plan hinges on the UNSC taking the artefact onboard Infinity (which is a very stupid idea really), so what if they hadn't?
He did know the function of the artifact. You can see in a cut scene in Spartan Ops that both he and Gek 'Lhar oversaw the Covenant operation pretending to try reclaim the artifact. If he didn't know what the artifact did then why firstly would he devout such a large portion of his forces to ultimately get butchered by the UNSC to make it seem like they were trying to take back the Forerunner device? Secondly the very fact that both he and his his Lieutenant were present on the field shows that this wasn't some stab in the dark plan; he was overseeing the operation personally so it can be assumed he must of had a lot of faith in his plan and subsequently must have been confident in what the device did. Ultimately if he didn't he wouldn't have devoted so much attention to the ploy. And yes it is a very stupid idea to take it on board infinity, which is a testament to his ability to manipulate situations that he actually managed to trick them.
You are confusing the Artefact and the Promethean Soul.
There was no cutscene of Jul overseeing the Artefact operation. He also was trying to excavate the other two Artefacts with the Harvester, which he wouldn't have done if he really knew the function of said artefact, it just made it easier for the UNSC to escape.
As for the Promethean soul, it is unclear what Jul's intentions were. It is possible that he did indeed drop the device as he was escaping, or he may have done it on purpose. The problem is that there was no reason for Jul to allow the UNSC access to the device, it only gave them another Forerunner piece to play with.
I was not confusing the two, Jul drops the 'artifact' in game which is shown to be the soul of the Promethean in the cut scene- they are the same device. Honestly i was just too lazy to look up what it was called. And it was not something he did by accident, you can clearly see that he intended the UNSC to take the Promethean Soul, as when Gek 'Lhar stresses that the Spartans have 'their prize' Jul simply lets them get away, the line "And we have put up enough of a display of trying to retrieve it" clearly indicates that Jul wanted to trick the UNCS to take the device. So once they are fooled into taking it on board, Jul was able to successfully contact Halsey on Infinity and then send Promethean forces through it to abduct her.
I am aware that Jul is smart, the Kilo 5 trilogy displayed that well enough as does Escalation and Spartan Ops.
I was only pointing that some people give him too much credit. He has limits, which is highlighted in Halo 5 by how quickly his Covenant was falling appart, they even point out that Jul is an opportunist not a leader.
A lot of his power came from the fact that he had control over the Promethean forces, and without which he is as not much of a threat.

As for the rest of what you said:
How do you know the Covenant won most engagements? Also Jul had a whole fleet with him while the UNSC had less manpower comparatively.
Do we know how many Spartans were killed? What notable warriors? On par with who?
Thus you have conceded to Jebbadaya's original point; that is, Jul is capable of manipulating situations so that they play into his own hand. Of course Jul has his flaws, and this what makes him a character as opposed to a mere cipher. For one, being so self-indulgent in a way that makes it seem as if he always believes he has control over the situation is exactly what got him killed, not to even mention the collapse of his Covenant. If you require substantiation for the above, practically every mission objective in Spartan Ops revolves around the player reclaiming territory which was lost by Marines. At this point, if you're to conclude that Spartans compensated for these losses, keep in mind that they met their equals on many occasions - Gek 'Lhar is the best example of this. Alternatively, a fair amount of Spartan Fireteams such as Castle were Killed in action. From this, it is only logical to conclude that the UNSC were at least evenly matched in terms of ground combat. I accept that my assessment of 'most' was overexaggerated, but given the evidence, I think it's fair to sway towards Jul having the advantage - even if that ultimately fell upon his Commanders shoulders. Even so, this example is relatively insignificant in respect to my overall point, so your persistence in asking so many questions about the weakest part of my argument only really suggests that you don't want to have your head turned.

The problem is that you're so invested in micro-managing the argument, you fail to address the debate at hand here. If we're going to get boggled down into that sort of game, I could identify some actual issues with your evidence. For example, this - "...they even point out that Jul is an opportunist not a leader..."- suffers from being spoken by the first-person viewpoint of an in-universe character. In other words, it is an opinion - and not a very reliable one at that as it is unlikely that an ONI-Agent is likely to commend a Covenant cult-leader on his achievements. Again, this isn't something I'll hold against your counter (despite how goofy it makes it seem), but it doesn't really add a lot to the central issue, does it?
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
Kind of disagree, the guy was one of the few Elites that didn't believe in the Forerunners at all. He also played the UNSC for a fool on Requiem 2x. But then again the UNSC has been getting played for awhile when I think about it.
I think a covenant terrorist group lead by an atheist is pretty cool...but it wasn't done well in my opinion.
Gek Lhar wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Gek Lhar wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
I'm not sure Jul actually knew what the artefact actually did. It seemed more like a stroke of luck.
Also the plan hinges on the UNSC taking the artefact onboard Infinity (which is a very stupid idea really), so what if they hadn't?
He did know the function of the artifact. You can see in a cut scene in Spartan Ops that both he and Gek 'Lhar oversaw the Covenant operation pretending to try reclaim the artifact. If he didn't know what the artifact did then why firstly would he devout such a large portion of his forces to ultimately get butchered by the UNSC to make it seem like they were trying to take back the Forerunner device? Secondly the very fact that both he and his his Lieutenant were present on the field shows that this wasn't some stab in the dark plan; he was overseeing the operation personally so it can be assumed he must of had a lot of faith in his plan and subsequently must have been confident in what the device did. Ultimately if he didn't he wouldn't have devoted so much attention to the ploy. And yes it is a very stupid idea to take it on board infinity, which is a testament to his ability to manipulate situations that he actually managed to trick them.
You are confusing the Artefact and the Promethean Soul.
There was no cutscene of Jul overseeing the Artefact operation. He also was trying to excavate the other two Artefacts with the Harvester, which he wouldn't have done if he really knew the function of said artefact, it just made it easier for the UNSC to escape.
As for the Promethean soul, it is unclear what Jul's intentions were. It is possible that he did indeed drop the device as he was escaping, or he may have done it on purpose. The problem is that there was no reason for Jul to allow the UNSC access to the device, it only gave them another Forerunner piece to play with.
I was not confusing the two, Jul drops the 'artifact' in game which is shown to be the soul of the Promethean in the cut scene- they are the same device. Honestly i was just too lazy to look up what it was called. And it was not something he did by accident, you can clearly see that he intended the UNSC to take the Promethean Soul, as when Gek 'Lhar stresses that the Spartans have 'their prize' Jul simply lets them get away, the line "And we have put up enough of a display of trying to retrieve it" clearly indicates that Jul wanted to trick the UNCS to take the device. So once they are fooled into taking it on board, Jul was able to successfully contact Halsey on Infinity and then send Promethean forces through it to abduct her.
"Jul is capable of manipulating situations so that they play into his own hand" Yes he is, but my argument was never the contrary. My whole point is that it is unclear how much of those situations are due solely to his manipulation or whether luck played it own part.
There is no evidence to suggest that Jul knew how the first artefact functioned prior to the UNSC retrieving it. It is possible that he did know which would make him quite the manipulator, but it is also possible that he did not know and thus makes this situation luck based which he then took full advantage of.
And as for the second artefact it didn't serve a huge purpose despite the fact that Jul clearly engineered that situation.

Not all mission objectives are based on reclaiming lost territory. What made it so troublesome for the UNSC were the Prometheans since they could teleport anywhere, thus making holding territory tricky.
Spartans rarely met their match on requiem, Crimson never had any problems save for 1 mission where they were overrun but an army of Covenant forces. Shadow destroys a cruiser by themselves. Yes of course Spartans did die but it seems to have mainly been an uncommon occurrence. Only Castle was confirmed KIA.
Gek did kill some Spartans however the manner of their deaths are unknown, and he almost lost to Thorn who was an inexperienced and wounded Spartan.
Hence I disagree with the idea that Jul had the advantage in the conflict.
Don't want my head turned? What does that mean? You simply made another point that I disagreed with and so I responded in kind. There is no conspiracy here.

Locke's statement is his opinion yes, but you have to remember who Locke is. He's not a random mook with only second hand knowledge, he is an ex-ONI assassin who once complied a very thorough profile on the Arbiter. That said I do acknowledge that this is merely an in-universe opinion and nothing more than that.
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
I'm not sure Jul actually knew what the artefact actually did. It seemed more like a stroke of luck.
Also the plan hinges on the UNSC taking the artefact onboard Infinity (which is a very stupid idea really), so what if they hadn't?
He did know the function of the artifact. You can see in a cut scene in Spartan Ops that both he and Gek 'Lhar oversaw the Covenant operation pretending to try reclaim the artifact. If he didn't know what the artifact did then why firstly would he devout such a large portion of his forces to ultimately get butchered by the UNSC to make it seem like they were trying to take back the Forerunner device? Secondly the very fact that both he and his his Lieutenant were present on the field shows that this wasn't some stab in the dark plan; he was overseeing the operation personally so it can be assumed he must of had a lot of faith in his plan and subsequently must have been confident in what the device did. Ultimately if he didn't he wouldn't have devoted so much attention to the ploy. And yes it is a very stupid idea to take it on board infinity, which is a testament to his ability to manipulate situations that he actually managed to trick them.
You are confusing the Artefact and the Promethean Soul.
There was no cutscene of Jul overseeing the Artefact operation. He also was trying to excavate the other two Artefacts with the Harvester, which he wouldn't have done if he really knew the function of said artefact, it just made it easier for the UNSC to escape.
As for the Promethean soul, it is unclear what Jul's intentions were. It is possible that he did indeed drop the device as he was escaping, or he may have done it on purpose. The problem is that there was no reason for Jul to allow the UNSC access to the device, it only gave them another Forerunner piece to play with.
I was not confusing the two, Jul drops the 'artifact' in game which is shown to be the soul of the Promethean in the cut scene- they are the same device. Honestly i was just too lazy to look up what it was called. And it was not something he did by accident, you can clearly see that he intended the UNSC to take the Promethean Soul, as when Gek 'Lhar stresses that the Spartans have 'their prize' Jul simply lets them get away, the line "And we have put up enough of a display of trying to retrieve it" clearly indicates that Jul wanted to trick the UNCS to take the device. So once they are fooled into taking it on board, Jul was able to successfully contact Halsey on Infinity and then send Promethean forces through it to abduct her.
The promethean soul had nothing to do with Promethean forces being able to board the Infinity. It is merely a memory storage device. What allowed the Prometheans to board is the first artefact recovered of which we have no indication that Jul knew its function.
Whether Jul dropped or "dropped" the device is a moot point since it didn't do anything to the UNSC.
To clear up your misunderstanding, here's the extract from Halopedia:

"When Crimson followed him to the Fortress, he escaped through yet another portal to the Cauldron. When Crimson tracked 'Mdama through the Cauldron he tried to escape again, but not before Commander Sarah Palmer called in an airstrike on 'Mdama's location. He managed to escape, but not before dropping another Forerunner device.[31] 'Mdama oversaw the Covenant's attempt to retrieve the device from Galileo Base with his lieutenant, Gek 'Lhar, but was only creating a diversion for the humans. 'Mdama was actually using the artifact recovered by Fireteam Crimson as a communication terminal, allowing Jul to anonymously communicate with Dr. Catherine Halsey via her datapad and to spy on Infinity."

"Some time later Dr. Halsey contacted 'Mdama, informing him that she had deduced he was her helper but that their alliance could free the Librarian. However, the ship's AI, Roland, was able to recover from Halsey's subterfuge and cut off the connection. After this 'Mdama ordered the Covenant and Prometheans to board Infinity through the artifact to capture Dr. Halsey."

Source:
https://www.halopedia.org/Jul_%27Mdama

Like I said, the artifact 'Mdama drops is the same one that allows Promethean forces to board Infinity. Idk how this could elude to anything other than him having knowledge of the artifact.
Its not though. The quote could be referencing any of the artefacts. And if we look at what each artefact is we have:
-Slipspace Translocation Device
-AI matrix
I am pretty sure I know which one was used to board Infinity.
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
I'm not sure Jul actually knew what the artefact actually did. It seemed more like a stroke of luck.
Also the plan hinges on the UNSC taking the artefact onboard Infinity (which is a very stupid idea really), so what if they hadn't?
He did know the function of the artifact. You can see in a cut scene in Spartan Ops that both he and Gek 'Lhar oversaw the Covenant operation pretending to try reclaim the artifact. If he didn't know what the artifact did then why firstly would he devout such a large portion of his forces to ultimately get butchered by the UNSC to make it seem like they were trying to take back the Forerunner device? Secondly the very fact that both he and his his Lieutenant were present on the field shows that this wasn't some stab in the dark plan; he was overseeing the operation personally so it can be assumed he must of had a lot of faith in his plan and subsequently must have been confident in what the device did. Ultimately if he didn't he wouldn't have devoted so much attention to the ploy. And yes it is a very stupid idea to take it on board infinity, which is a testament to his ability to manipulate situations that he actually managed to trick them.
You are confusing the Artefact and the Promethean Soul.
There was no cutscene of Jul overseeing the Artefact operation. He also was trying to excavate the other two Artefacts with the Harvester, which he wouldn't have done if he really knew the function of said artefact, it just made it easier for the UNSC to escape.
As for the Promethean soul, it is unclear what Jul's intentions were. It is possible that he did indeed drop the device as he was escaping, or he may have done it on purpose. The problem is that there was no reason for Jul to allow the UNSC access to the device, it only gave them another Forerunner piece to play with.
I was not confusing the two, Jul drops the 'artifact' in game which is shown to be the soul of the Promethean in the cut scene- they are the same device. Honestly i was just too lazy to look up what it was called. And it was not something he did by accident, you can clearly see that he intended the UNSC to take the Promethean Soul, as when Gek 'Lhar stresses that the Spartans have 'their prize' Jul simply lets them get away, the line "And we have put up enough of a display of trying to retrieve it" clearly indicates that Jul wanted to trick the UNCS to take the device. So once they are fooled into taking it on board, Jul was able to successfully contact Halsey on Infinity and then send Promethean forces through it to abduct her.
The promethean soul had nothing to do with Promethean forces being able to board the Infinity. It is merely a memory storage device. What allowed the Prometheans to board is the first artefact recovered of which we have no indication that Jul knew its function.
Whether Jul dropped or "dropped" the device is a moot point since it didn't do anything to the UNSC.
To clear up your misunderstanding, here's the extract from Halopedia:

"When Crimson followed him to the Fortress, he escaped through yet another portal to the Cauldron. When Crimson tracked 'Mdama through the Cauldron he tried to escape again, but not before Commander Sarah Palmer called in an airstrike on 'Mdama's location. He managed to escape, but not before dropping another Forerunner device.[31] 'Mdama oversaw the Covenant's attempt to retrieve the device from Galileo Base with his lieutenant, Gek 'Lhar, but was only creating a diversion for the humans. 'Mdama was actually using the artifact recovered by Fireteam Crimson as a communication terminal, allowing Jul to anonymously communicate with Dr. Catherine Halsey via her datapad and to spy on Infinity."

"Some time later Dr. Halsey contacted 'Mdama, informing him that she had deduced he was her helper but that their alliance could free the Librarian. However, the ship's AI, Roland, was able to recover from Halsey's subterfuge and cut off the connection. After this 'Mdama ordered the Covenant and Prometheans to board Infinity through the artifact to capture Dr. Halsey."

Source:
https://www.halopedia.org/Jul_%27Mdama

Like I said, the artifact 'Mdama drops is the same one that allows Promethean forces to board Infinity. Idk how this could elude to anything other than him having knowledge of the artifact.
Its not though. The quote could be referencing any of the artefacts. And if we look at what each artefact is we have:
-Slipspace Translocation Device
-AI matrix
I am pretty sure I know which one was used to board Infinity.
You are still misunderstanding. In the article its referencing the same device in both paragraphs. Therefore, Jul must have had an idea of its function. If he didn't he would not have let them take it on board.
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Jebbadaya wrote:
Who cares. He was a joke like every other character 343 has thought of.
How is he a joke exactly? his death was underwhelming sure- but his actual character was pretty interesting imo. Also I think that is pretty unfair to label all characters they have created as a joke. I can think of a plethora of characters 343 have made that are more interesting than the ones from the bungie era.
<p></p>
He’s such a generic bad guy. Deep voice, no personality outside of the novels. And Lasky is okay, all the others are dull imo.
All the characters from each team in Halo 5 are totally unlikeable.
I disagree. He demonstrates particularly in Spartan Ops his adept ability to manipulate situations to play into his favor. For example allowing the UNSC to take the Forerunner artifact onto Infinity in an attempt to destroy it. And yes mostly when he is featured in games he will come across as quite generic outside of that- but this is because he is rarely the focus, and when he is, its only for very brief periods of time. So because of this, any substantial developments of his character have been done so through other media. That being said, i'm not sure why you are discarding characters from outside of the games. After all, they are still all 343's characters. And from Halo 5's squad characters I wouldn't say all are unlikable- most of them boring as hell, sure, but I wouldn't say for one moment that I dislike all of them; Buck for example.
I'm not sure Jul actually knew what the artefact actually did. It seemed more like a stroke of luck.
Also the plan hinges on the UNSC taking the artefact onboard Infinity (which is a very stupid idea really), so what if they hadn't?
He did know the function of the artifact. You can see in a cut scene in Spartan Ops that both he and Gek 'Lhar oversaw the Covenant operation pretending to try reclaim the artifact. If he didn't know what the artifact did then why firstly would he devout such a large portion of his forces to ultimately get butchered by the UNSC to make it seem like they were trying to take back the Forerunner device? Secondly the very fact that both he and his his Lieutenant were present on the field shows that this wasn't some stab in the dark plan; he was overseeing the operation personally so it can be assumed he must of had a lot of faith in his plan and subsequently must have been confident in what the device did. Ultimately if he didn't he wouldn't have devoted so much attention to the ploy. And yes it is a very stupid idea to take it on board infinity, which is a testament to his ability to manipulate situations that he actually managed to trick them.
You are confusing the Artefact and the Promethean Soul.
There was no cutscene of Jul overseeing the Artefact operation. He also was trying to excavate the other two Artefacts with the Harvester, which he wouldn't have done if he really knew the function of said artefact, it just made it easier for the UNSC to escape.
As for the Promethean soul, it is unclear what Jul's intentions were. It is possible that he did indeed drop the device as he was escaping, or he may have done it on purpose. The problem is that there was no reason for Jul to allow the UNSC access to the device, it only gave them another Forerunner piece to play with.
I was not confusing the two, Jul drops the 'artifact' in game which is shown to be the soul of the Promethean in the cut scene- they are the same device. Honestly i was just too lazy to look up what it was called. And it was not something he did by accident, you can clearly see that he intended the UNSC to take the Promethean Soul, as when Gek 'Lhar stresses that the Spartans have 'their prize' Jul simply lets them get away, the line "And we have put up enough of a display of trying to retrieve it" clearly indicates that Jul wanted to trick the UNCS to take the device. So once they are fooled into taking it on board, Jul was able to successfully contact Halsey on Infinity and then send Promethean forces through it to abduct her.
The promethean soul had nothing to do with Promethean forces being able to board the Infinity. It is merely a memory storage device. What allowed the Prometheans to board is the first artefact recovered of which we have no indication that Jul knew its function.
Whether Jul dropped or "dropped" the device is a moot point since it didn't do anything to the UNSC.
To clear up your misunderstanding, here's the extract from Halopedia:

"When Crimson followed him to the Fortress, he escaped through yet another portal to the Cauldron. When Crimson tracked 'Mdama through the Cauldron he tried to escape again, but not before Commander Sarah Palmer called in an airstrike on 'Mdama's location. He managed to escape, but not before dropping another Forerunner device.[31] 'Mdama oversaw the Covenant's attempt to retrieve the device from Galileo Base with his lieutenant, Gek 'Lhar, but was only creating a diversion for the humans. 'Mdama was actually using the artifact recovered by Fireteam Crimson as a communication terminal, allowing Jul to anonymously communicate with Dr. Catherine Halsey via her datapad and to spy on Infinity."

"Some time later Dr. Halsey contacted 'Mdama, informing him that she had deduced he was her helper but that their alliance could free the Librarian. However, the ship's AI, Roland, was able to recover from Halsey's subterfuge and cut off the connection. After this 'Mdama ordered the Covenant and Prometheans to board Infinity through the artifact to capture Dr. Halsey."

Source:
https://www.halopedia.org/Jul_%27Mdama

Like I said, the artifact 'Mdama drops is the same one that allows Promethean forces to board Infinity. Idk how this could elude to anything other than him having knowledge of the artifact.
Its not though. The quote could be referencing any of the artefacts. And if we look at what each artefact is we have:
-Slipspace Translocation Device
-AI matrix
I am pretty sure I know which one was used to board Infinity.
You are still misunderstanding. In the article its referencing the same device in both paragraphs. Therefore, Jul must have had an idea of its function. If he didn't he would not have let them take it on board.
Except that the device in question has no purpose beyond being a memory storage device, while the other is a translocation device which would allow the Prometheans the teleport to Infinity.
The individual who wrote that paragraph just wasn't very clear and was referring to the fist artefact. Not everything written on Halopedia is gospel and it is important to check for sources, in this case the source given is Spartan Ops. Nowhere in the game does it state or imply that the Promethean Soul allowed the Prometheans to board.
If you watch the cutscenes again, it clearly shows that the point of origin for the Prometheans boarding is the fist artefact, which is glowing, and then Palmer says they are passing through the artefact.
That's Halo 5 in a nutshell. So much work and potential, and it seems almost guaranteed that they changed their goals half-way through.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2