New Halo Comic Discussion: Tales from Slipspace

OP CIA391

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Theres a new Halo Graphic Novel announced. And its called

Halo: Tales from Slipspace

Its an anthology Graphic novel like Halo Evolutions, by Dark Horse set to be released on October 25 2016(date can change)

It will have stories from Halo development director Frank O’Connor and Halo producer Tyler Jeffers, as well more familiar comic book names such as John Jackson Miller, Simon Roy, Kody Chamberlain, Bill Sienkiewicz, Jonathan Wayshak, Alex Irvine, Vasilis Lolos, Dave Crosland, and Duffy Boudreau

Now whos excited. Cause I know I am.

Sources: Bleeding Cool, Amazon
Tales from Slipspace?

Funny title.

Evolutions was mostly about bridging the gap between Halo 3 and 4; so I am assuming we'll be looking at stuff foreshadowing the events of Halo 5 mixed with stuff set post Halo 5 to lead into Halo 6.
HEADHUNTER 2 PLEASE!
While I do enjoy the Halo Evolutions style, given what we got with Escalation and Initiation, I'm not really excited to see another comic series being announced so soon. Escalation had especially left a foul taste in my mouth. However, given the authors of the comics (none of them are previous Escalation writers), we can at least assume that this new comic won't be as bad as the last. Call me cautiously optimistic.
After the debacle that was 'Escalation', I'm really not digging the idea of the Halo Franchise doing any more comic books...

Can't wait to see what characters and plotlines they develop in this only to immediately drop them later though.
I have hopes for this. One of the problems with many stories across many genres is large overarching and often unwieldy stories, in Halo's case all of the comics and Spartan Ops suffer from this. I find 'one shots' - short concise stories to be most satisfying, to this day the only comic I feel Halo has done right was the original graphic novel, nice contained stories with good art that still had good characters and shone light on elements of the wider story.

I though Spartan Ops/Escalation should have been done in the one shot style, with us getting to know a wide range of characters, their reasons for serving, their experiences during the war, outlook on post war and some cool S-IV action.
Well, at least now there is something else other than Halo Wars 2 and Halo Mythos to look forward to. Maybe it won't be such a dry season after all. But, the title is kinda strange. I wonder if it's a placeholder.

Sincerely,
p1ay4OURFUN
Well I can say you got me extremely excited by the title and your post...and then I looked at the Amazon link and saw it was a COMIC Anthology and not a short story anthology. My expectations are ridiculously low and I think 343 is severely missing the mark by doing another comic series so soon, and not doing another short story collection like Evolutions, which in my opinion contained some of the best Halo literature in the last 10 years.
Evolutions was mostly about bridging the gap between Halo 3 and 4
Not really. It had stories set anywhere from before the Covenant war to after, but none of the stories really had anything to do with future media. At least, not in the original edition. The MOST relevant story was The Return, but even though it was set in 2559, it sorta failed to mention anything that would appear in the Reclaimer Saga, like Covenant Remnant factions or Human AIs taking over the galaxy.
IxDue 58 wrote:
Well I can say you got me extremely excited by the title and your post...and then I looked at the Amazon link and saw it was a COMIC Anthology and not a short story anthology. My expectations are ridiculously low and I think 343 is severely missing the mark by doing another comic series so soon, and not doing another short story collection like Evolutions, which in my opinion contained some of the best Halo literature in the last 10 years.
I edited the post to suit a comic. It was short sighted of me to put Novel. Even though a graphic novel is technically a book
I'm looking forward to making the spoiler discussion thread in October.
Dark Horse is kind of off putting based off of Initiations and Escalations art style, but I'm very excited for another anthology like series. Hopefully all of the content will be meaningful in some way.

Story predictions
  1. Something based off of Blue team
  2. Grey teams return
  3. How Black team made it off of Line installation 1-4
  4. Cortana's journey to Genesis
  5. Spirit of Fire story / Prequel to Wars 2
  6. Planets being attacked by Guardians
  7. Story's revolving around new characters.
If Each author does one story each then the book should have at least 11 story's in it.
erickyboo wrote:
You know this could be the Spoiler discussion if the post sticks you never know :)
Yeah, I would have much preferred a book. I wouldn't mind if they did what they did with Evoluions and eventually do motion comic adaptations. It'll probably be alright, but I feel books offer so much more detail. I hope they get some good artists this time around because I refuse to believe multiple people were responsible for Initation and Escalations art based on its quality when Blood Lines artist did everything themselves at a higher quality.
CIA391 wrote:
erickyboo wrote:
You know this could be the Spoiler discussion if the post sticks you never know :)
A spoiler thread as I usually do. As in first post after OP is spoiler okay, this could be the non spoiler thread. I usually do the discussion threads so. I like doing that.

But uh... We should make sure they know we want good art. Perhaps we should go talk to some of the people, politely.
I would think the complaints about the art said throughout Initiation's and Escalation's runs would be sufficient to show art quality is a must.
I just hope its not absolute garbage like Escalation was.

Frankie is a good writer, a horrible liar who can't be trusted but a good writer nonetheless.
So I was looking at the people doing the art, and it is most likely going to be trippy.
Anyone else notice the curious lack of Brian Reed?
Anyone else notice the curious lack of Brian Reed?
You aren't the first to notice, but you are the first to mention it. Curious indeed.....
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2