Forums / Community / Halo Universe

New to Halo Lore. Follow This Order of Media?

OP Cwess3519424

Hey guys,
So I have played the halo games over the years but am now interested in really jumping into all of the halo lore (books, films, comics, games, etc.) I have seen various posts about what order new people should consume all of this media, and it seems that people have been recommending release order (as opposed to chronological order, and I definitively don’t want the chapter swapping chronological order).

So If I just consume everything in the order of the following list, do you think that is best? Is there anything missing on that list?
https://www.halopedia.org/User:Sith_Venator/Cheat_Sheet
Personal advice? Release order.

Some people will recommend reading a series like this in chronological order, which presents two major problems; first that you run the risk of needing to revise your reading order every time a new piece of media comes out, and second (and most important) that you'll deprive yourself of all the minutia you'd be able to pick up on reading them in release order. Writers quite frequently foreshsadow the events of an upcoming work in the works preceeding it, no matter when said works are set; read them out of order and you'll miss that and things may not be as impactful.

The problem with Halo is that the comics release periodically and weave around the other, larger entries, but they also tie in less so you can get away with reading them in chunks.

The long and short of it is that release order is 1) how any follower of the series would experience works if they did so on release, 2) is most likely the order 343i intended, and 3) is least likely to lead to you missing out on the subtleties.
Ded10c wrote:
Personal advice? Release order.

Some people will recommend reading a series like this in chronological order, which presents two major problems; first that you run the risk of needing to revise your reading order every time a new piece of media comes out, and second (and most important) that you'll deprive yourself of all the minutia you'd be able to pick up on reading them in release order. Writers quite frequently foreshsadow the events of an upcoming work in the works preceeding it, no matter when said works are set; read them out of order and you'll miss that and things may not be as impactful.

The problem with Halo is that the comics release periodically and weave around the other, larger entries, but they also tie in less so you can get away with reading them in chunks.

The long and short of it is that release order is 1) how any follower of the series would experience works if they did so on release, 2) is most likely the order 343i intended, and 3) is least likely to lead to you missing out on the subtleties.
Absolutely go in release order. If you go chronologically, you'll be reading the Forerunner Trilogy first. And while those are some amazing books imo, they're a bit thick and need some more context from other media to make complete sense.
Also make sure you get all the esoterica. There's a lot of halo lore off to the sidelines, outside the main releases - Collector's Editions (and I think just the one Legendary edition, that being Reach), lootcrates, online ARGs and Waypoint articles. Some old promotional stuff is lost and unrecoverable, unfortunately - ODST's performance reports, fo example. Most of it was archived and is still available somewhere, it's just a nightmare to pin some of it down. It's usually worth the effort to watch the little weavings of things here and there; there's some genuinely impressive foreshadowing, neat little mentions of characters and events from other stories, and a few puzzles here and there.
I mean after you’ve gone through all the media, your best friend for congested information if you may happen to forget something, or need to double check something is Halopedia. I really love how easy it is to use, and how easily it is to pick up the information from the site. But to answer the main question at hand, 100% order of release. It’s a good way to show how the universe was built up over the years, and is the easiest way to understand everything compared to chronological order.
Okay. I have to disagree. You can experience the entire Halo fiction in chronological order. The whole "read/watch/play a certain section then go back to the other stuff" isn't reasonable in my opinion.

You know how some anime/manga does a flashback episode/chapter that reflects on past experiences and then shows the characters in present day remembering? Yeah, you can always do it like that. Here's the list of the fiction in that order:

Cryptum
Primordium
Silentium
Cradle of Life
Contact Harvest
Collateral Damage
Silent Storm
Oblivion
Wars: Genesis
Wars
The Cole Protocol
Battle Born
Meridian Divide
Helljumper
Blood Line
The Fall of Reach (Definitive Edition)
Fall of Reach: Bootcamp, Covenant & Invasion
Halsey's Journal
Reach w/Data Logs
Data Drops
The Flood (Definitive/Updated Edition)
Combat Evolved
Combat Evolved Anniversary (Optional, MCC will come later anyways) w/Terminals
Fireteam Raven
First Strike (Definitive Edition)
I Love Bees
2 (If you can, try to watch 2 Anniversary's Terminals)
Conversations from the Universe
Another Day at the Beach (2 Multiplayer Map Pack Video)
Graphic Novel
3: ODST w/Sadie's Story
Ghosts of Onyx
Uprising
Landfall
3 w/Terminals
The Living Monument
Legends
Evolutions Volume I + II
Initiation
Broken Circle
Glasslands
The Thursday War
Mortal Dictata
11th Hour Reports
Lone Wolf
Last Light
Hunters in the Dark
Nightfall
Smoke and Shadow
4: Forward Unto Dawn
4 w/Terminals & Briefing Packet
Spartan Ops
Spartan Assault
Spartan Strike
Renegades
Escalation Vol. 1-4
The Fall of Reach Animated Series
The Master Chief Collection
New Blood
Hunt the Truth
5: Guardians
Bad Blood
Tales From Slipspace
Fractures
Legacy of Onyx
Retribution
Envoy
Rise of Atriox
Wars 2
Operation: Spearbreaker
Awakening the Nightmare
Okay. I have to disagree. You can experience the entire Halo fiction in chronological order. The whole "read/watch/play a certain section then go back to the other stuff" isn't reasonable in my opinion.

You know how some anime/manga does a flashback episode/chapter that reflects on past experiences and then shows the characters in present day remembering? Yeah, you can always do it like that. Here's the list of the fiction in that order:

Cryptum
Primordium
Silentium
Cradle of Life
Contact Harvest
Collateral Damage
Silent Storm
Oblivion
Wars
The Cole Protocol
Battle Born
Meridian Divide
Helljumper
Blood Line
Halsey's Journal
Reach w/Data Logs
Data Drops
Combat Evolved
Fireteam Raven
I Love Bees
Graphic Novel
Ghosts of Onyx
Uprising
Landfall
3 w/Terminals
The Living Monument
Legends
Evolutions Volume I + II
Initiation
Broken Circle
Glasslands
The Thursday War
Mortal Dictata
11th Hour Reports
Lone Wolf
Last Light
Hunters in the Dark
Nightfall
Smoke and Shadow
Spartan Ops
Spartan Assault
Spartan Strike
Renegades
Escalation Vol. 1-4
New Blood
Hunt the Truth
Bad Blood
Tales From Slipspace
Fractures
Legacy of Onyx
Retribution
Envoy
Rise of Atriox
Wars 2
Awakening the Nightmare
You *can* do that, but is that really an optimal strategy for a new fan? Especially because there is literally nothing like the Greg Bear novels in the rest of the Halo EU save some short stories, you're not even giving people a good idea of what the franchise is like with most of its media.

Only crazy people would introduce people to Star Wars with Episode 1.
Fuchsdh wrote:

Cryptum
Primordium
Silentium
Cradle of Life
Contact Harvest
Collateral Damage
Silent Storm
Oblivion
Wars
The Cole Protocol
Battle Born
Meridian Divide
Helljumper
Blood Line
Halsey's Journal
Reach w/Data Logs
Data Drops
Combat Evolved
Fireteam Raven
I Love Bees
Graphic Novel
Ghosts of Onyx
Uprising
Landfall
3 w/Terminals
The Living Monument
Legends
Evolutions Volume I + II
Initiation
Broken Circle
Glasslands
The Thursday War
Mortal Dictata
11th Hour Reports
Lone Wolf
Last Light
Hunters in the Dark
Nightfall
Smoke and Shadow
Spartan Ops
Spartan Assault
Spartan Strike
Renegades
Escalation Vol. 1-4
New Blood
Hunt the Truth
Bad Blood
Tales From Slipspace
Fractures
Legacy of Onyx
Retribution
Envoy
Rise of Atriox
Wars 2
Awakening the Nightmare
You *can* do that, but is that really an optimal strategy for a new fan? Especially because there is literally nothing like the Greg Bear novels in the rest of the Halo EU save some short stories, you're not even giving people a good idea of what the franchise is like with most of its media.

Then I must be insane!
Fuchsdh wrote:

[edited out for space]

Excuse me but did you just compare the Greg Bear Trilogy to THE PHANTOM MENACE???

All joking aside, really any way you experience the media should work. I just prefer release order and think that's the easiest way to digest this franchise. Which is to say that I agree with you. When I first started, I did it by order of what stories seemed most interesting to me, which created a jumbled mess in my head. But even with all that, I still could figure out what was going on and iron out the lore in my head.
Here's my order:

1. Halo: The Fall of Reach
2. Halo: Reach
3. Spending the rest of your life trying to make them both work together but always having a slight nagging feeling in your stomach because unless they rewrite the last two chapters a bit they'll never be 100% compatible, but they still kinda work until that point if you read a load of material 343 literally only made to reconcile the two.
Cybermat47 wrote:
Here's my order:

1. Halo: The Fall of Reach2. Halo: Reach3. Spending the rest of your life trying to make them both work together but always having a slight nagging feeling in your stomach because unless they rewrite the last two chapters a bit they'll never be 100% compatible, but they still kinda work until that point if you read a load of material 343 literally only made to reconcile the two.
The Data Drops help a lot.
Cybermat47 wrote:
Here's my order:

1. Halo: The Fall of Reach2. Halo: Reach3. Spending the rest of your life trying to make them both work together but always having a slight nagging feeling in your stomach because unless they rewrite the last two chapters a bit they'll never be 100% compatible, but they still kinda work until that point if you read a load of material 343 literally only made to reconcile the two.
Yeah, they make everything they cover work together as well as they can, except for the last two chapters of FoR. In those, Cortana has gotten the coordinates to Alpha Halo from the Sigma Octanus IV artifact around 0637 hours military time (1037 hours Reach time), and jumps around 0647 hours MT (1047 RT). Then, in HR, around 6 hours later, the Autumn is in a drydock in Aszod waiting for B312 to deliver the Cortana fragment that has the coordinates to Halo found in the Babd Catha Forerunner ship.
Cybermat47 wrote:
Cybermat47 wrote:
Here's my order:

Yeah, they make everything they cover work together as well as they can, except for the last two chapters of FoR. In those, Cortana has gotten the coordinates to Alpha Halo from the Sigma Octanus IV artifact around 0637 hours military time (1037 hours Reach time), and jumps around 0647 hours MT (1047 RT). Then, in HR, around 6 hours later, the Autumn is in a drydock in Aszod waiting for B312 to deliver the Cortana fragment that has the coordinates to Halo found in the Babd Catha Forerunner ship.
A simple workaround would be to just change the time from when the PoA left the Epsilon Eridani System, and also instead of Cortana getting the co-ordinates of Alpha Halo from just the SO-IV Artifact or just from the data she gained from the Forerunner ship at the Babd Catha Iceshelf, she uses data from both to find the exact location of Alpha Halo. That way the two main issues are fixed, but that’s up to 343 to do so, and a third reprint of Halo: TFoR seems a bit extensive just to cover these issues, maybe they should make these amendments in a blog post or something along those lines. Something easily accessible to the Halo fanbase.
Cybermat47 wrote:
The slipspace crystal on Reach causes Blue Team's three-week excursion to Alpha Halo to take three days from Red Team's point of view, so is it conceivably responsible for this?
Thanks for the replies! Decided to go with release order and am enjoying my first Halo novel: The Fall of Reach! Love the character background on John.