Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

ODST Inspiration

OP MonkOfWar4

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
When Bungie were originally designing/conceptualizing the ODSTs, were these elite soldiers in anyway inspired by Jump Troops from the 1993 animation Exosquad? The way they insert into a planet's atmosphere, by drop pods, seems very similar.
Possible.
But the idea sending in people with a drop pod was not new for Exosquad,it existed already for several years by the time exosquad aired,so maybe Bunge got their idea from somewhere else.
One of the main inspirations behind the design of ODSTs was the Mobile Infantry from Starship Troopers (the book, not the films).
Not sure, but the ODST sure do look awesome!
Not sure on the fictional inspiration, but they definitally seem to resemble Airbone Rangers.
Almost every military, military book, movie, and fantasy has some bat -Yoink- crazy soldiers who think jumping into hellfire from a plane is a good breakfast supplement. I'm sure there were probably many inspirations for the ODSTs.
The black armor and the drop from orbit really reminds me of the OG Heinlein Starship Troopers. Admittedly Mobile Infantry wear powered armor, but still. Come to think of it the descriptions of the armor seem very similar to MJLONIR...
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Don't know if anyone remembers the game "Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun" but they had drop pods that brought in advanced or veteran infantry, similar to the role of the ODSTs. The things looked more like lawn darts, but the role was still the same; dropping a squad directly into combat zone.
Don't know if anyone remembers the game "Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun" but they had drop pods that brought in advanced or veteran infantry, similar to the role of the ODSTs. The things looked more like lawn darts, but the role was still the same; dropping a squad directly into combat zone.
I remeber it.Got the full version in an gaming magazin.Yes,they have been magazins for games,a long time ago.
I certainly remember the past C&C games, including Tiberian Sun. The cool down for dropping infantry in pods was so long that I rarely used that ability.
Since the introduction of orbital drops, how many other games have followed suit and included orbital drops as part of troop deployment?
MonkOfWar4 wrote:
I certainly remember the past C&C games, including Tiberian Sun. The cool down for dropping infantry in pods was so long that I rarely used that ability.
Those guys were great. Glad to see some appreciation of C&C.
Not sure on the fictional inspiration, but they definitally seem to resemble Airbone Rangers.
More so those in Special Operations that perform High Altitude Low Opening (HALO) jumps in both training and actual missions.
I do agree that the role of the ODST is rooted in airborne operations. That being a rapid insertion of troops and supplies, behind enemy lines by way of military aircraft.
More so those in Special Operations that perform High Altitude Low Opening (HALO) jumps in both training and actual missions.
I do agree that the role of the ODST is rooted in airborne operations. That being a rapid insertion of troops and supplies, behind enemy lines by way of military aircraft.
Rangers are special ops, many are HALO qualified as well. They're MO seems in line with what we see ODSTs operate in.

I do agree, they definitally are not conventional airborne (173rd/82nd) in their role.
Rangers are special ops, many are HALO qualified as well. They're MO seems in line with what we see ODSTs operate in.

I do agree, they definitally are not conventional airborne (173rd/82nd) in their role.
173rd does have a storied history. Enough to merit its own armor permutation in the game.
JumpMaster: Sky Soldier
I wonder if that was a coincidence or a shout out to the organization.
Now from what I've read so far about ODSTs, all are Marine Corps SpecOps units. Have not found anything to show any Army affiliation. But then again almost any movie or game depicting space warfare will usually have Navy and Marines as the primary military force.
E.g.:
"Aliens"- USCM
"Space: Above & Beyond"- USMC Space Aviator Cavalry, 58th Squadron
Just to name a few.

173rd does have a storied history. Enough to merit its own armor permutation in the game.
Now from what I've read so far about ODSTs, all are Marine Corps SpecOps units. Have not found anything to show any Army affiliation. But then again almost any movie or game depicting space warfare will usually have Navy and Marines as the primary military force.
E.g.:
"Aliens"- USCM
Just to name a few.
Not saying conventional airborne doesn't have a storied history, but they're not special ops where as the 75th Rangers are. And pretty sure the armor is just based more on army airborne/air assault, since they haven't mentioned the 173rd in game.

while it's true, as you point out, that the ODSTs are Marines, for the purpose of real world comparison, there is no Marine unit in history that is comparable to the ODSTs MO, with the only comparable one being the U.S. Army's 75th Ranger Regiment.

fortunutally halo is a little more realistic than most Sci-fi games/books/movies and also shows an Army and Air Force as a seperate service branch. Stargate is another franchise that doesn't have the navy/marines in control, but it's also much more contemporary than some of the more fantasy inclined mediums.
Maybe...But I am not sure...Bungie did take a lot of inspiration from other series like ''Alien''....So it is possible
I remember that game and I do remember the drop pods also. I also remember the GDIs having Jump Jet Infantry troops that reminds me of the ODST Bullfrogs from Halo Reach's Alexandria mission.

E.g.:
"Aliens"- USCM
Just to name a few.
Don't forget Star Trek. Almost everything they used revolved around naval rank and terminology. Star Wars introduced the Galactic Marines during the Clone Wars. And this may be a stretch but the Macross saga introduced us to the U.N. Spacy. The Space warfare branch of the U.N. Military. Not that far off from the United Nations Space Command, UNSC. Along with that, the story of Macross focused on the United Nations Government fending off an alien militaristic race bent on recovering alien technology that crashed on earth.

E.g.:
"Aliens"- USCM
Just to name a few.
Not saying conventional airborne doesn't have a storied history, but they're not special ops where as the 75th Rangers are. And pretty sure the armor is just based more on army airborne/air assault, since they haven't mentioned the 173rd in game.

while it's true, as you point out, that the ODSTs are Marines, for the purpose of real world comparison, there is no Marine unit in history that is comparable to the ODSTs MO, with the only comparable one being the U.S. Army's 75th Ranger Regiment.

fortunutally halo is a little more realistic than most Sci-fi games/books/movies and also shows an Army and Air Force as a seperate service branch. Stargate is another franchise that doesn't have the navy/marines in control, but it's also much more contemporary than some of the more fantasy inclined mediums.
May want to look up the Marine Corps Force Recon. They are the specials operations forces for the Marines. They are trained in all aspects of special warfare just like the 75th or any other special forces operators. They would better fit the real world comparison in they also deploy from ships in small operational teams, using small landing crafts (same concept as the drop pod); from aircraft such as the V-22 Osprey (can compare to either the Falcon from Reach or older model Pelicans without the tilt rotor). They are also airborne qualified.
Here is a link you can check out: http://www.americanspecialops.com/force-recon/
Sorry, not high enough on the food chain to post live links.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2