Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Official Halo: Battle Born discussion [SPOILERS]

OP erickyboo

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
WARNING! SPOILER ZONE! Discuss the book below!
By Cassandra Rose Clarke
https://www.amazon.com/HALO-Battle-Cassandra-Rose-Clarke/dp/1338253646
Release date: 1 January 2019
Quote:
Saskia, Dorian, Evie, and Victor aren't exactly friends at their small high school on the middle-of-nowhere colony world of Meridian. Each has their own problems, from absent parents to supporting their family, getting into a good college to making the next hit holo-film. But those problems were nothing next to the threat now facing their world: The alien alliance known as the Covenant is laying siege to Meridian, for reasons that aren't so easily explained.

With their village in flames, the four teens find themselves stuck aboveground, locked out of the town shelter where the rest of the survivors are gathered. Together, Saskia, Dorian, Evie, and Victor are thrust into battle with nothing but a few scavenged weapons and an injured Spartan, one of the UNSC's super-soldiers. What's forged from the destruction will determine the fate of Meridian, and tilt the battle for humanity's survival.
***SPOILER FREE***

Okay so I've just finished the book and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised. The pacing was good and I felt that I not only cared about the characters but I found them more relatable.
Most Halo stories feature hulking Spartans and Sangheili (which are also mentioned in the book) but this one focuses on 4 civilian teenagers with various backgrounds and idealogies.
I also really liked the facts that we get to see what happens to a certain planet and how that adds more gravity to what happens on that planet later on.
My biggest quirk so far was a questionable forerunner reference that I'll need to look up to see if it's "lore breaking" or not but it didn't subtract from my experience.
I think this was an excellent book and I look forward to part 2.
Finally someone else who also read it.

So I liked it, although it didn't take over Legacy of Onyx. We got some interesting perspectives on the lives of civilians and I really liked reading at the begining the various problems and things that different people, the different protagonists, were doing. Like, it was a dive into the just normal lives of civilians and it was nice. I liked that we got to know about video games a bit more, something that isn't touched upon in the books and other media as much as it should honestly.
We got to see the experimental weapons and stuff so that was interesting. I wonder about that prototype railgun, it must have not been as good as the actual production model railgun right? And that plasma weapon, very interesting. Anyways, I liked the references, sundered legion too. So, looking forward to knowing more.

I wonder what the forerunner device was? This book was very grounded in the town and I tried to imagine things with that.
erickyboo wrote:
Finally someone else who also read it.

So I liked it, although it didn't take over Legacy of Onyx. We got some interesting perspectives on the lives of civilians and I really liked reading at the begining the various problems and things that different people, the different protagonists, were doing. Like, it was a dive into the just normal lives of civilians and it was nice. I liked that we got to know about video games a bit more, something that isn't touched upon in the books and other media as much as it should honestly.
We got to see the experimental weapons and stuff so that was interesting. I wonder about that prototype railgun, it must have not been as good as the actual production model railgun right? And that plasma weapon, very interesting. Anyways, I liked the references, sundered legion too. So, looking forward to knowing more.

I wonder what the forerunner device was? This book was very grounded in the town and I tried to imagine things with that.
Getting to read about some of the nuances of 26th century colony life was very interesting and I would like to find out more. I also loved how Cassandra Clarke characterized everyone so well.
As far as the forerunner device.. well I'm not sure but I assume we'll learn more in the sequel which is due out later this year.
Spoiler:
Show
Finished it this morning and I was also pleasantly surprised as I didn't really think young adult novel would fit well. I felt genuinely interested in the characters and the perspective of civilain kids having to face off against the covenant was a new point of veiw. Also liked Owen as well, I think him being a 3 and not a 2 shows how more relatable that generation of Spartan can be to civilians.

The ending was also a nice touch and hint for a follow up.
erickyboo wrote:
By Cassandra Rose Clarke
https://www.amazon.com/HALO-Battle-Cassandra-Rose-Clarke/dp/1338253646Release date: 1 January 2019
Quote:
Saskia, Dorian, Evie, and Victor aren't exactly friends at their small high school on the middle-of-nowhere colony world of Meridian. Each has their own problems, from absent parents to supporting their family, getting into a good college to making the next hit holo-film. But those problems were nothing next to the threat now facing their world: The alien alliance known as the Covenant is laying siege to Meridian, for reasons that aren't so easily explained.

With their village in flames, the four teens find themselves stuck aboveground, locked out of the town shelter where the rest of the survivors are gathered. Together, Saskia, Dorian, Evie, and Victor are thrust into battle with nothing but a few scavenged weapons and an injured Spartan, one of the UNSC's super-soldiers. What's forged from the destruction will determine the fate of Meridian, and tilt the battle for humanity's survival.
What bothers me is the random spartan 3 popping up.There are other Spartans that they already have in lore that they could've used instead of creating a new character
erickyboo wrote:
By Cassandra Rose Clarke
https://www.amazon.com/HALO-Battle-Cassandra-Rose-Clarke/dp/1338253646Release date: 1 January 2019
Quote:

What bothers me is the random spartan 3 popping up.There are other Spartans that they already have in lore that they could've used instead of creating a new character
There aren't many named Spartan III's that would make sense though. Most Spartan 3's that we know of were in well established teams.
Owen's team was clearly KIA during this OP. On top of that we couldn't use someone like Noble 6 because they were supposed to be a unspoken character. The rest of Noble Team would have felt shoe horned in and unrelatable in my opinion. Plus the Gamma's were not active at this point.
I think one of the main purposes in the book was going to be setting the stage for a series and developing relatable people.
I do agree that there are many great characters throughout the lore that could and should be fleshed out but the author is being given her own series and she wanted it to be with her characters.
Ultimatly I thought it was the right fit for this story and I look forward to seeing these 4 after their ONI training.
erickyboo wrote:
By Cassandra Rose Clarke
Quote:

There aren't many named Spartan III's that would make sense though. Most Spartan 3's that we know of were in well established teams.
Owen's team was clearly KIA during this OP. On top of that we couldn't use someone like Noble 6 because they were supposed to be a unspoken character. The rest of Noble Team would have felt shoe horned in and unrelatable in my opinion. Plus the Gamma's were not active at this point.
I think one of the main purposes in the book was going to be setting the stage for a series and developing relatable people.
I do agree that there are many great characters throughout the lore that could and should be fleshed out but the author is being given her own series and she wanted it to be with her characters.
Ultimatly I thought it was the right fit for this story and I look forward to seeing these 4 after their ONI training.
I was talking about spartan 2s.Maria 062 and naomi 010 for example
erickyboo wrote:
By Cassandra Rose Clarke
Quote:

If we look at the nature and capabilities between the IIs to the IIIs it would be safe to say that most of the IIs would be on high risk delaying actions or dependant on the timeline, idk when Madrian came under assault, the IIs may have been being recalled for Op Red Flag if set before Reach, if it is after then we all know the reason and answer for that.

What we also saw with the fall of Reach, IIIs aside from suicidal attacks were often used in evacuations as human bastions to buy time, frustrate the covanant advamce or gain intel. The IIs are far more valuable in direct combat ops than being used as defensive troops.
erickyboo wrote:
By Cassandra Rose Clarke
Quote:

If we look at the nature and capabilities between the IIs to the IIIs it would be safe to say that most of the IIs would be on high risk delaying actions or dependant on the timeline, idk when Madrian came under assault, the IIs may have been being recalled for Op Red Flag if set before Reach, if it is after then we all know the reason and answer for that.

What we also saw with the fall of Reach, IIIs aside from suicidal attacks were often used in evacuations as human bastions to buy time, frustrate the covanant advamce or gain intel. The IIs are far more valuable in direct combat ops than being used as defensive troops.
It was in 2548,Maria and naomi were not on reach when it fell and we.dont lnow what they were up to at that time or before
erickyboo wrote:
By Cassandra Rose Clarke
Quote:

It was in 2548,Maria and naomi were not on reach when it fell and we.dont lnow what they were up to at that time or before
Fair point on their whereabouts, however as I stated before the IIs and the IIIs were deployed dependant on the seriousness of the battle. I would liken it to the IIIs being a frigate or destroyer and the IIs being an aircraft carrier. Both are warships however dependant on which one is deployed, is a direct result of the severity of the task.
erickyboo wrote:
By Cassandra Rose Clarke
Quote:

Those two wouldn't really make sense either. because the book states that there "may" and probably were Spartan casualties. It is a known fact that most Spartan II's operated in teams with other Spartan II's. The number of active Spartan II's is always in question with the ever changing lore and I don't think the Spartan II's numbers could except those casualties. I know Jorge is an exception considering he was assigned to Noble but I have my doubts that Spartan II's were assigned with III's all that often.
Lore aside I still feel that it was the authors choice. It is easier for everyone involved in the productions the book to create a new Spartan III. I do wonder if we'll have any cameos in the sequel book.
erickyboo wrote:
By Cassandra Rose Clarke
Quote:

Those two wouldn't really make sense either. because the book states that there "may" and probably were Spartan casualties. It is a known fact that most Spartan II's operated in teams with other Spartan II's. The number of active Spartan II's is always in question with the ever changing lore and I don't think the Spartan II's numbers could except those casualties. I know Jorge is an exception considering he was assigned to Noble but I have my doubts that Spartan II's were assigned with III's all that often.
Lore aside I still feel that it was the authors choice. It is easier for everyone involved in the productions the book to create a new Spartan III. I do wonder if we'll have any cameos in the sequel book.
I just hate the creation of new Spartans when there are others waiting on the sidelines waiting to check into the game.Case in point the spartan that took out avu med telcam was randomly created with no backstory and just takes him out
erickyboo wrote:
By Cassandra Rose Clarke
Quote:

I just hate the creation of new Spartans when there are others waiting on the sidelines waiting to check into the game.Case in point the spartan that took out avu med telcam was randomly created with no backstory and just takes him out
How else do you want new characters to be introduced?
The Spartan that took out Telcam was a Gamma Spartan 3 and is the only one aside from the 15 in Ghost of Onyx that we know about despite there being more than 300 of them out there.
EvilKeny28 wrote:
erickyboo wrote:
By Cassandra Rose Clarke
Quote:

How else do you want new characters to be introduced?
The Spartan that took out Telcam was a Gamma Spartan 3 and is the only one aside from the 15 in Ghost of Onyx that we know about despite there being more than 300 of them out there.
It's not that they were introduced,it was the execution.Telcam was a good character and they created a spartan out of thin air to get rid of him in a comic
this looks really good
I'm confused about Saskia's parents.
Apart from the UNSC, to whom were they selling weapons? Initially I thought ONI, but that would only be unofficial, not exactly illegal.
I think the book mentioned they fled the planet to avoid arrest. Why was leaving their daughter behind necessary?

I'm not sure if it's left unclear because there is a backstory that will be explored in the future or if we are simply meant to realise they sold weapons to criminals/innies, authorities found out, they left Meridian fearing they would come to arrest them and that is it.
PIX24 wrote:
I'm confused about Saskia's parents.
Apart from the UNSC, to whom were they selling weapons? Initially I thought ONI, but that would only be unofficial, not exactly illegal.
I think the book mentioned they fled the planet to avoid arrest. Why was leaving their daughter behind necessary?

I'm not sure if it's left unclear because there is a backstory that will be explored in the future or if we are simply meant to realise they sold weapons to criminals/innies, authorities found out, they left Meridian fearing they would come to arrest them and that is it.
I imagine it is the latter. I'm sure her parents were developing and selling to the UNSC while still maintaining sales with the Innies.
I believe it was written that they abondoned her in order for that to help make Saskia stronger but also to make it easier for Saskia to decide to join up with ONI at the end of the book.
Finished the book and I really enjoyed it. Since it set it up for a sequel do you think owen will stick around or do you think they're just gonna kill him off?
Oh hey just thought of something, why do you think Owen was wearing Mjolnir and not spi armor. It's not entirely explained. He could have been part of a special team such as noble or he could have been a headhunter, they where III's with Mjolnir. Just wanna hear your theories.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2