Official Halo: Fractures Discussion [SPOILERS]

OP erickyboo

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
Hello. This is the halo fractures discussion thread. This is a spoiler zone so approach with caution. No need for spoiler tags here.
Halo: Fractures releases 20 September 2016!

Quote:
A sensational short story collection in the expansive universe of HALO, the New York Times bestselling series!

Launch once more into galaxy-spanning conflict and legendary heroism…shards of an ever-expanding journey where human and alien alike find their finest hours in facing their greatest challenges. These scattered stories span untold millennia, from the age of the ancient custodial race known as the Forerunners…to the aftermath of the Covenant’s bloody war against humanity…and even the shocking events surrounding the resurrection of the mysterious Guardians. Halo: Fractures explores mythic tales of bravery and sacrifice that blaze brightly at the very heart of the Halo universe.

Featuring electrifying works from such acclaimed authors as:
Tobias Buckell • Troy Denning • Matt Forbeck • Kelly Gay • Christie Golden • Kevin Grace • Morgan Lockhart • John Jackson Miller • Frank O’Connor • Brian Reed • Joseph Staten • James Swallow
https://www.amazon.ca/Fractures-Extraordinary-Tales-Halo-Canon/dp/1501140671

Spoiler zone ahead
Reading the preview right now, which I don't know if I can link (I remember getting banned for linking Comic Book Resources when they posted a OFFICIAL summary of a Escalation issue, facepalm =_=) and in the first story (the one from Forbeck) it is said that Jun was from Beta Company, and that he trained alongside Tom and Lucy... man, what a way to start the entire book with a huge inconsistence! :O

Here's the quote, btw:
Quote:
"The other was Spartan Jun-A266. Like Tom and Lucy, Jun had been part of the Spartan III's Beta Company, but he'd been pulled out by Command for another mission prior to Operation: TORPEDO"
Well only a few more days remaining!
Then people should have it. Hopefully Grim will give us another tease at it this Friday!
Darth Nint wrote:
Reading the preview right now, which I don't know if I can link (I remember getting banned for linking Comic Book Resources when they posted a OFFICIAL summary of a Escalation issue, facepalm =_=) and in the first story (the one from Forbeck) it is said that Jun was from Beta Company, and that he trained alongside Tom and Lucy... man, what a way to start the entire book with a huge inconsistence! :O

Here's the quote, btw:
Quote:
"The other was Spartan Jun-A266. Like Tom and Lucy, Jun had been part of the Spartan III's Beta Company, but he'd been pulled out by Command for another mission prior to Operation: TORPEDO"
They better fix that because Jun has always been from Alpha and never Beta
Darth Nint wrote:

Here's the quote, btw:
Quote:
Yeah that doesn't inspire confidence in me... But hey, atleast this entire book is just a compilation of short stories.
If they just drop the beta company mention and replace it with being a s3 it works.
KalEl 825B wrote:
Darth Nint wrote:

Here's the quote, btw:
Quote:
Yeah that doesn't inspire confidence in me... But hey, atleast this entire book is just a compilation of short stories.
I mean, the story at the end of the day was very nice, so it's not like this error has ruined it for me. But I can't deny how weird of a mistake it is, especially given 343's attention to little details like these!
Spoiler:
Show
The titles/authors of the short stories in the book are as follows:

1. Lessons Learned - Matt Forbeck
  2. What Remains - Morgan Lockhart
  3. Breaking Strain - James Swallow
  4. Promises to Keep - Christie Golden
  5. Shadow of Intent - Joseph Staten
  6. The Ballad of Hamish Beamish - Frank O' Connor
  7. Defender of the Storm - John Jackson Miller
  8. A Necessary Truth - Troy Denning
  9. Into the Fire - Kelly Gay
  10. Saint's Testimony - Frank O' Connor
  11. Rossbach's World - Brian Reed
  12. Oasis - Tobias Buckell
  13. Anarosa - Kevin Grace
Didn't see anything about Gray Team in the latest Community Update. I am disappoint.
I'm interested to see how Reed handles post H5 lore so Rossbach's World seems interesting to me.
Is a story about a janitor from the corbulo military academy really necessary? They could have put more into the other stories
Is a story about a janitor from the corbulo military academy really necessary? They could have put more into the other stories
Its Beamish, the most important character.
Serious: Was not expecting a backstory like this.
Bulbaby wrote:
Its Beamish, the most important character.
Serious: Was not expecting a backstory like this.
It's frank oconnor character and it's written by him so he probably pushed it to be in fractures
I heard some of these short stories will lead into novels, as part of the big story. How do you feel about some of these stories not getting closure, but will be fleshed out further in the ovrerall plot?
Its just a poem, not a full short story. If it was a full story then yeah that'd be pushing it, but a poem can be short, sweet and funny.
ROBERTO jh wrote:
Its just a poem, not a full short story. If it was a full story then yeah that'd be pushing it, but a poem can be short, sweet and funny.
I guess
I got Halo:Fractures in the mail today and between prepping for Rise of Iron, family, and forging I've had a chance to read a few choice stories.

Namely "promises to keep" by Christie Golden, which follows the IsoDidact, Chant -to-green and the remaining Forerunners just as they are finishing up re-seeding life, Rossbach's world which features Black box, Lord Hood and Osman, and the coda. Does anyone else on waypoint have it yet?

Holy crap , I don't know what I was expecting from promises to keep, but this exceeded my expectatons greatly. A very interesting... biblical reference in there too. A great mix of answering long standing and important questions, gripping tension, the introduction of new questions, and the introduction of new story telling potential.
Good to hear about Promises to Keep!

Please anyone who gets the book post short, one paragraph reviews for every short story you read. I'm still on the fence on whether to get this or not and that would help.
Well... I just finished it about a minute ago...

Woah...

It's been, sort of, in a way hard? To take all these stories at once. Jumping from one tale to another. And now having to think about it all, absorb it. I had already read saint's testimony and shadow of intent so didn't reread those of course.

I just think though... Did many people really die on Earth..? Did Osman do it..?

Wo there is so much to think about...
What's going on with Hood, Osman, and Ruth Charet? Are they able to recover at all, or are they freaking out about what's happening?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5