OP erickyboo

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
Gonna edit my feelings here as I progress.
Wow. Promises to keep... It connects to halo 5 story and has a lot of new info to chew and theorize.

I really liked the Defender of the storm too. Actually it's my favorite so far. Really nice forerunner stories in the book indeed. I really could emphasise with Adequate-Observer as he reminded me when I was in the Army.
Is this a must read? Because I've skipped the last couple of Halo novels, I kinda feel like the magic is gone. But I want to get back into it.
Having just finished Promises to Keep I'm grinning ear to ear. I'm also a tad confused as things started happening very fast at the end, but I feel as though it may be the most important of the stories I've read so far (I'm reading them in order of appearance).
Overall very enjoyable, a few of the stories are primers for full length novels and delve into what some old favourites are up to whilst introducing some new characters. My early preferences are;

Lessons Learned- A new mission for Tom and Lucy. A nice appetiser for a new novel.

Promises to Keep- The unexpected gem. Bornstellar and co on a new adventure post Rebirth. Some lore questions answered finally!

A Necessary Truth- Halo meets Mission Impossible

Into the Fire- Halo meets Firefly but with connections to Halo Wars. Loved the link to the long ago Halo Wars strategy guide excerpts.

Thats not to say I disliked the other stories, they all bring something to the table but the above stood out for me.

Minor gripe- Another SIII from Alpha wandering around in MJOLNIR. Just how many of those guys did Kurt fudge the paperwork on?! Plus some canon inconsistency on the guys service record.

overall 4/5. Autumns are made for Halo canon.
Any word on Breaking Strain?
Is this a must read? Because I've skipped the last couple of Halo novels, I kinda feel like the magic is gone. But I want to get back into it.
You should read New Blood and Last Light. Both of those are exceptionally well written
Minor gripe- Another SIII from Alpha wandering around in MJOLNIR. Just how many of those guys did Kurt fudge the paperwork on?! Plus some canon inconsistency on the guys service record.

We've known for a long time now there were more Cat-II personnel than just Noble team.
You should read New Blood and Last Light. Both of those are exceptionally well written
I actually read New Blood, Shadow of Intent and Saint's Testimony. Didn't read Hunters in the Dark, Last Light and the Broken Circle.
I actually read New Blood, Shadow of Intent and Saint's Testimony. Didn't read Hunters in the Dark, Last Light and the Broken Circle.
I really liked last light and broken circle and imo hunters in the dark was also good
What's this I'm hearing about Abaddon? What is this? From online, people are saying this is a pretty big deal.
What's this I'm hearing about Abaddon? What is this? From online, people are saying this is a pretty big deal.
he is a precursor ai that lived inside the domain. Aka the organon
LZ32 wrote:
He's the equivalent of a Precursor AI/Ancilla, he was not an actual Precursor.
LZ32 wrote:
He's the equivalent of a Precursor AI/Ancilla, he was not an actual Precursor.
Hence he said Precursor ai.

The distinction between Precursor and AI is nebulous though. They weren't a species. Much closer to a pantheon.
That sounds really cool. Which story is this Abaddon in?
That sounds really cool. Which story is this Abaddon in?
Promises to keep.
I really want to get this book. Is it worth it to you guys? Since it includes Shadow of Intent, this would be one of the last stories I need to read, novel wise, until I have read the entirety of Halo's lore, outside the comics and graphic novels.
Actually, I think Evolutions got some animated adaptations on YouTube. I watched those, so they count. Yep, this would be the final piece of novel reading, until more comes out!
I really liked last light and broken circle and imo hunters in the dark was also good
Hunters in the Dark starts out a little weird, has some odd spots, but overall is a great story.
Broken Circle was good. I thought it was strange in several places, but interesting nonetheless.
Last Light is PHENOMENAL. Loved that book. One of the best 343 has put out, in my opinion.
New Blood was also very good.
So is Abaddon the Warden Eternal?
No....
Abaddon is the Organnon, a Precursor AI/intelligence that housed/guarded the Domain.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5