Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Official Halo: Retribution [SPOILERS]

OP erickyboo

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
SPOILERS! THIS IS A SPOILER ZONE TO DISCUSS THE UPCOMING BOOK! NO NEED FOR SPOILER TAGS

Halo: Retribution is the upcoming halo novel by Author: Troy Denning.
Quote:
December 2553. Less than a year after the end of the Covenant War, a string of violent incidents continues to threaten the tenuous peace in human-held space, culminating in the assassination of UNSC fleet admiral Graselyn Tuwa and the abduction of her family. It is a provocation so outrageous that the Office of Naval Intelligence must retaliate swiftly and ferociously—but only after its operatives identify her killer and rescue the hostages.

This mission will be the first for homicide-detective-turned-ONI-operative Veta Lopis and her young team of Spartan-IIIs, and something feels wrong from the start. The obvious suspect is an infamous Brute who leads the Keepers of the One Freedom, an ex-Covenant splinter group in fierce opposition to the UNSC. But Lopis and her team soon realize that the truth is much more insidious than they could ever have imagined, and with Fred-104, Kelly-087, and Linda-058 of Blue Team for combat support, they must stop a plan hatched in the bowels of the secret research station Argent Moon—a plan so sinister it could destroy all those still reeling from thirty years of intergalactic conflict.
https://www.amazon.com/HALO-Retribution-Troy-Denning-ebook/dp/B01M5IJKL7/
Releases 29 August 2017.
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
erickyboo wrote:
SPOILERS! THIS IS A SPOILER ZONE TO DISCUSS THE UPCOMING BOOK! NO NEED FOR SPOILER TAGSHalo: Retribution is the upcoming halo novel by Author: Troy Denning.
Quote:
December 2553. Less than a year after the end of the Covenant War, a string of violent incidents continues to threaten the tenuous peace in human-held space, culminating in the assassination of UNSC fleet admiral Graselyn Tuwa and the abduction of her family. It is a provocation so outrageous that the Office of Naval Intelligence must retaliate swiftly and ferociously—but only after its operatives identify her killer and rescue the hostages.

This mission will be the first for homicide-detective-turned-ONI-operative Veta Lopis and her young team of Spartan-IIIs, and something feels wrong from the start. The obvious suspect is an infamous Brute who leads the Keepers of the One Freedom, an ex-Covenant splinter group in fierce opposition to the UNSC. But Lopis and her team soon realize that the truth is much more insidious than they could ever have imagined, and with Fred-104, Kelly-087, and Linda-058 of Blue Team for combat support, they must stop a plan hatched in the bowels of the secret research station Argent Moon—a plan so sinister it could destroy all those still reeling from thirty years of intergalactic conflict.
https://www.amazon.com/HALO-Retribution-Troy-Denning-ebook/dp/B01M5IJKL7/ Releases 29 August 2017.
SPOILERS SPOILERS
I thought spoilers weren't allowed until the book actually releases,it's 2 weeks from release why create this post this early?
erickyboo wrote:
SPOILERS! THIS IS A SPOILER ZONE TO DISCUSS THE UPCOMING BOOK! NO NEED FOR SPOILER TAGSHalo: Retribution is the upcoming halo novel by Author: Troy Denning.
Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/HALO-Retribution-Troy-Denning-ebook/dp/B01M5IJKL7/ Releases 29 August 2017.
SPOILERS SPOILERS
I thought spoilers weren't allowed until the book actually releases,it's 2 weeks from release why create this post this early?
Good question.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
So the book releases the 29th? I'm not sure how I was able to get it at a book store on the 25th.. I've been thoroughly enjoying the book and I wanted to share some thoughts on it but the book hasn't even really been released yet so I'll hold off, but has anyone else been able to get their hands on it early?
So the book releases the 29th? I'm not sure how I was able to get it at a book store on the 25th.. I've been thoroughly enjoying the book and I wanted to share some thoughts on it but the book hasn't even really been released yet so I'll hold off, but has anyone else been able to get their hands on it early?
A lot of people living on England and Canada
Wait... What..? Intrepid Eye is still alive? Well looks like there is a follow up or something that has to be continued. I wonder how they'll handle that. It's also interesting getting a few more details on sloan and so on, and yay to read about stuff like the sentinel scope.

But that puzzles me a lot, what part will intrepid eye play for the future? It just raises even more questons.
Is the book any good? Would you say you have to read First Light to understand it? Is it a separate short story or is it loosely tying into the events of Halo 5 and Halo 6?

I still need to finish Envoy, so I am a bit wary about buying another novel atm.
It was a pretty good book. There are a bunch of call backs to last light but they explain them a bit so you can probably read this with out having read Last Light.
I'm about 2 thirds of the way through it and it's kind of underwhelming.Don't get me wrong it's not bad,but it doesn't seem like a story that needed to be told
I'm about 2 thirds of the way through it and it's kind of underwhelming.Don't get me wrong it's not bad,but it doesn't seem like a story that needed to be told
It's a great Halo story all by itself and I can't wait to see more from Denning. This story is definitely up their with the greats in Halo novels. It seems as though it's true purpose was to fill in gaps though. Which is fine. Background history on characters is welcome. However, Legacy of Onyx will try to move the universe forward I think based on it's time placement.
KalEl 825B wrote:
It's a great Halo story all by itself and I can't wait to see more from Denning. This story is definitely up their with the greats in Halo novels. It seems as though it's true purpose was to fill in gaps though. Which is fine. Background history on characters is welcome. However, Legacy of Onyx will try to move the universe forward I think based on it's time placement.
Idk about it being a great story,it seems to be another rehash of last light done in a less impactful way.....and I really liked last light
KalEl 825B wrote:
Idk about it being a great story,it seems to be another rehash of last light done in a less impactful way.....and I really liked last light
This story didn't really seem all that similar to Last Light. Sure, it revolved around a murder mystery, but that's part of the Ferret's job, so that's understandable. Compared to the last novel, this story seemed no where near the same. The only similar things I can think of are Castor being badly beaten at the end of the novel and Fred being broken and in need of repair. Other than that, nothing is really similar at all.
Intrepid eye is imo so unnecessary in this novel
erickyboo wrote:
Wait... What..? Intrepid Eye is still alive? Well looks like there is a follow up or something that has to be continued. I wonder how they'll handle that. It's also interesting getting a few more details on sloan and so on, and yay to read about stuff like the sentinel scope.

But that puzzles me a lot, what part will intrepid eye play for the future? It just raises even more questons.
I'd like to see you kill a Forerunner AI. Look at Guilty Spark; ate an M6 NLR to the face and STILL CAME BACK.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
I'm only in here to read spoilers. No money for the book but will glad read it one day.
How would you guys rate this one? I didn't really care for the last few novels that came out so I've stopped pre-ordering them. I'd be willing to pick it up if you all have good reviews but so far in this thread its not sounding great.
Cindars wrote:
How would you guys rate this one? I didn't really care for the last few novels that came out so I've stopped pre-ordering them. I'd be willing to pick it up if you all have good reviews but so far in this thread its not sounding great.
Emvoy,last light and hunters In the dark were pretty good.....this one is just average imo i wasn't glued to the pages and it didn't imo tell me a story I needed to know
erickyboo wrote:

I'm curious as well. Since we didn't see ancilla in h5 I wonder if Intrepid will make a comeback in future halo games or if it's something that'll stay in the books. Although, given the A.I's drive for humanity to uphold the mantle of responsibility, I wonder if she will aid humanity in taking down cortana. It seems likely, I'd have to say, with all the halo books and other media being released, they're really setting the stage for a lot of lore material to work with for whatever game is coming up next, spinoff or not. I'm hopeful 343 will implement these story's into the next Halo title in good way!
So I recently finished the novel, and one thing I was rather curious in getting the opinion of others on is
Spoiler:
Show
I have also just finished this book. Overall I enjoyed the story, but I thought it was leading towards an explanation to what happened on Argent Moon before the events of Halo 5. What had killed everyone at the research facility?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2