Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Official Halo: Silent Storm Discussion [Spoilers]

OP erickyboo

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
CINCL wrote:
I've read all the previous novels and comics (apart from Legacy of Onxy, not gotten around to that one yet) but I don't have as good memory of them all as I wish I did, so I'm wondering how well Silent Storm is jiving for the more knowledgeable readers. Particularly in concern to the Sarge's involvement. Does that sit within the established continuity quite nicely?
There's no strict continuity problem with Johnson being in the story. His persona has always been "badass Sargeant with loads of combat experience." The only nitpick I have is that Halo: First Strike obviously makes no mention of the Chief and Johnson having worked together before. On the other hand, it never says that they hadn't. Of course by Halo 2 and 3 Johnson is as close a friend that John has left besides Cortana, so it's a retcon that ultimately works well.
My thoughts as well. Thought it was a little shoe-horned at first, but realized that it ultimately made sense.
I was so pleasantly surprised by Silent Storm! Love the classic feel that comes from something as simple as Johnson being so prominent in the story. Can't get enough Sgt. Major! John's characterization is awesome, too. His promotion to Master Chief is fitting and cool to finally know about.

The whole book feels very inline with the original 00's Nylund novels, which I believe is a terrific thing! Loving all this Halo throwback going on between the return of the Mk VI style armor in Infinite and this excellent prequel book.
Denning's work is excellent, so I was well pleased when he was announced as author for this, and he didn't disappoint. In terms of discussion, I'd usually start with some downsides to the work, but I can't really think of any. I think the characters were balanced, developed, and brilliantly written. Great to see how the Chief got his rank, how the Sangheili learned about the Spartans. I guess the ice quarry scene could have been a bit more concise, but otherwise, fantastic pace.
Great book. Ploughed through it in 2 days. Dropped Bad Blood as soon as I knew this was available on Kindle. I'm not such a Forbeck fan and find his work much more of a task to read. This was a breeze - couldn't put it down.
CINCL wrote:
I've read all the previous novels and comics (apart from Legacy of Onxy, not gotten around to that one yet) but I don't have as good memory of them all as I wish I did, so I'm wondering how well Silent Storm is jiving for the more knowledgeable readers. Particularly in concern to the Sarge's involvement. Does that sit within the established continuity quite nicely?
There's no strict continuity problem with Johnson being in the story. His persona has always been "badass Sargeant with loads of combat experience." The only nitpick I have is that Halo: First Strike obviously makes no mention of the Chief and Johnson having worked together before. On the other hand, it never says that they hadn't. Of course by Halo 2 and 3 Johnson is as close a friend that John has left besides Cortana, so it's a retcon that ultimately works well.
Right? I immediately thought of this after his introduction to the chief however I too agree it doesn't take away from their exchange in first strike. Just makes it a little awkward they don't acknowledge their previous run in.
I just finished reading the book and I'll have to say I haven't been glued to a Halo book like this for a long time! The story was absolutely fantastic and had me ecstatic to see the several cameos sprinkled throughout. I'd love to see even more books or even the games touch this aspect of the human covenant war. There is so much potential in these early years of the chief and Troy Denning has certainly done an amazing job of tapping into that. By far one of my top 5 Halo books now! It's really neat to be able to read through moments like this when Chief well. Earns his rank Master Chief, Can't wait to see if we'll receive any follow up books to this one.
It is quite good. I disagree with Denning's descripitives on a few occasions. As an example I wouldn't describe John as a "schoolyard bully" when he was a child. Driven? Yes. Self assured, maybe even cocky? Yes. But not a schoolyard bully.
This has to do with the Fall of Reach animated movie which has John as a bully.
It is quite good. I disagree with Denning's descripitives on a few occasions. As an example I wouldn't describe John as a "schoolyard bully" when he was a child. Driven? Yes. Self assured, maybe even cocky? Yes. But not a schoolyard bully.
That is not the only peace of Halo media that paints young John in this light.
Yeah calling schoolboy John a bully is no more controversial than saying he was a boy.
And that is an equally bad characterization. No where did we get a clearer picture than in Nylund's novel. John wasn't a bully that suddenly cared about his classmates after one talk with Mendez about team first. Bully's do not shift character after one discussion. Why? Because that isn't the type of person John was portrayed to be. He was a tough kid that loved to compete and win but there was a harmlessness to his actions rather than a bullying nature. You can read that entire scene and the initial interaction with Halsey. There is a reason she chose to make a personal trip to assess him and it wasn't because she thought a bully was special.
And that is an equally bad characterization. No where did we get a clearer picture than in Nylund's novel. John wasn't a bully that suddenly cared about his classmates after one talk with Mendez about team first. Bully's do not shift character after one discussion. Why? Because that isn't the type of person John was portrayed to be. He was a tough kid that loved to compete and win but there was a harmlessness to his actions rather than a bullying nature. You can read that entire scene and the initial interaction with Halsey. There is a reason she chose to make a personal trip to assess him and it wasn't because she thought a bully was special.
Right, and Im not disagreeing with you about how Nylund intended for him to be characterized, however the new narrative has him as a bully( which by the way I think is complete and utter BS).
Right, and Im not disagreeing with you about how Nylund intended for him to be characterized, however the new narrative has him as a bully( which by the way I think is complete and utter BS).
Then you and I are in absolute agreement.

I think what I refer to as canon creep - carelessness really - is ever bit as damaging as any harmful act one could perceive. If it isn't "Anyone can be a Spartan now" or "You can become a Spartan at any age" (Which reeks of inclusive marketing tactics) then its "Let's rewrite the nature of main characters because its how I think it should be."

Such people really disgust me. Hey lugnuts, you didn't create this vast universe of Halo. Stop screwing with it. Such persons make me think of a redneck mechanic attempting to improve the Nuclear Bomb he found in a field.

Certain powers that be seem, according to facts made evident by various events, incapable of performing their duty as caretakers of the universe with which they are entrusted. Instead they have it in their heads that they possess some right to alter the already created world of Halo. While Bungie was sloppy sometimes with maintaining certain matters (how many Spartans???) the new keepers of the grail should have learned from those errors. The last thing the Halo universe needs is its own personal version of Ryan Reynolds.
Then you and I are in absolute agreement.

I think what I refer to as canon creep - carelessness really - is ever bit as damaging as any harmful act once could perceive. If it isn't "Anyone can be a Spartan now" or "You can become a Spartan at any age" (Which reeks of inclusive marketing tactics) then its "Let's rewrite the nature of main characters because its how I think it should be."

Such people really disgust me. Hey lugnuts, you didn't create this vast universe of Halo. Stop screwing with it. Such persons make me think of a redneck mechanic attempting to improve the Nuclear Bomb he found in a field.

Certain powers that be seem, according to facts made evident by various events, incapable of performing their duty as caretakers of the universe with which they are entrusted. Instead they have it in their heads that they possess some right to alter the already created world of Halo. While Bungie was sloppy sometimes with maintaining certain matters (how many Spartans???) the new keepers of the grail should have learned from those errors. The last thing the Halo universe needs is its own personal version of Ryan Reynolds.
It all started with Karen Traviss being allowed to literally rewrite Mendez and Halsey bc she felt like Halsey was evil. Traviss also knew nothing about ONI and section 3 and made out like Halsey went rogue with the clones yet Stanforth gave the OK on everything.
Just so the last remark I posted makes sense, what I meant to say was the last thing the Halo universe needs is its own personal version of Rian Johnson but I think I had Deadpool on the brain at the time :)

That clarified, it is these agenda driven revisionists with their "This is how I would have done it" toting around some sense they have permission to fulfill a personal vision.

Just because you have the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.
About Thel Vadam do we have some news? I heard some things that left me half pensive, not if they are true.
Some even suggest information about his sexuality. That's true?
Cruzypher wrote:
About Thel Vadam do we have some news? I heard some things that left me half pensive, not if they are true.
Some even suggest information about his sexuality. That's true?
Heard this from who?
I'm about 3/4 of the way through it right now. Not a bad book. Just kinda seems like a mash up between Cole Protocol and First strike. ( Its got a lot of recurring themes )
Loved the book just finished it last night. Couple things I thought were a little off but not too far from the established canon.

1) Was I mistaken in that the Covenant ended up with the schematics for MJOLNIR? The last chapter seems to make it sound like even though that Silent Shadow sanghelli was dead they had them. I can't believe the Covenant could have their hands on that for 30 years and not do anything with it. Regardless of if the stupid long necks were to decree that those files be heretical or what have you.

2) Humanity seemed a little beefed up from a space combat perspective. Time and time again we heard humans only won the battle in space when they had the numbers (generally 3 to 1) and the book even references that exact point. Did seem though in a couple battles just a few prowlers were able to effectively destroy several Covenant ships? Or was it just that these were the smaller ships like corvettes that might not necessarily have full shielding and the impressive weapon systems of larger capital ships.

3) The whole idea behind Silent Storm and boarding Covenant ships with the intent to destroy them. The shipmaster in the very beginning takes no hesitation in going for the self-destruct button. Was this just a shock reaction or because they had taken the bridge and were in serious danger of overtaking the ship? Why didn't the Covenant employ this tactic through the ensuing decades of the war when their ships were boarded? Or maybe an explanation could be preventing the self-destruct ability was a function provided by our sexy blue AI friend who of course isn't around yet...

All this aside, I also understand that with any universe of fiction you have to have flexibility and the room for it to grow as the media expands over time so again not really a break for the book. I definitely enjoyed the read and would welcome further publications from Troy Denning.
Loved the book just finished it last night. Couple things I thought were a little off but not too far from the established canon.

1) Was I mistaken in that the Covenant ended up with the schematics for MJOLNIR? The last chapter seems to make it sound like even though that Silent Shadow sanghelli was dead they had them. I can't believe the Covenant could have their hands on that for 30 years and not do anything with it. Regardless of if the stupid long necks were to decree that those files be heretical or what have you.

2) Humanity seemed a little beefed up from a space combat perspective. Time and time again we heard humans only won the battle in space when they had the numbers (generally 3 to 1) and the book even references that exact point. Did seem though in a couple battles just a few prowlers were able to effectively destroy several Covenant ships? Or was it just that these were the smaller ships like corvettes that might not necessarily have full shielding and the impressive weapon systems of larger capital ships.

3) The whole idea behind Silent Storm and boarding Covenant ships with the intent to destroy them. The shipmaster in the very beginning takes no hesitation in going for the self-destruct button. Was this just a shock reaction or because they had taken the bridge and were in serious danger of overtaking the ship? Why didn't the Covenant employ this tactic through the ensuing decades of the war when their ships were boarded? Or maybe an explanation could be preventing the self-destruct ability was a function provided by our sexy blue AI friend who of course isn't around yet...

All this aside, I also understand that with any universe of fiction you have to have flexibility and the room for it to grow as the media expands over time so again not really a break for the book. I definitely enjoyed the read and would welcome further publications from Troy Denning.
  1. That part wasn't as fleshed out as I would have liked. In fact, the Insurrectionist perspective really didn't get as many pages as I think it should have. To me, either the Silent Shadow died with that information or it was seen as heretical and inferior because the Covenant viewed humanity as inferior.
  2. I think this was just a question of different tactics. In a straight up space battle, the Covenant would absolutely demolish the UNSC. But with the hit-and-run and ambush-style tactics used in Silent Storm seemed to be far more effective. Plus, it was early in the war. The Covenant were still learning UNSC naval tactics, so it seemed believable that the UNSC could win a few with some slight of hand and rabbiting techniques.
  3. The shipmaster making that call seemed to conflict with the Sangheili code of honor, but perhaps it was an overriding order from the Heirarchs that forced the shipmaster to make such a tough call. Then again, perhaps the shipmaster saw the desecration of his command bridge as a dishonorable failure and sought to regain his honor through sacrifice.
Agreed! I loved the book too and Troy Denning did a great job imo.
Hey guys! I'm new here, but a long time fan of halo. I've been reading all the books and after completing silent storm, started trying to make sense of the timeline. The events in silent Strom end one day before Circinius lV falls. So how did blue team make it there? If I'm mistaken or missing something I'd like to know!!

Thanks!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2