Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Old Mombasa Glassed?

OP HelicopterCr4sh

Does anyone know if there is any information for how Old Mombasa survived the battle of Earth? I was under the impression that it got glassed while the Covenant was unearthing the portal to the Ark or at least when the elites glassed the area to stop the flood. I've seen other forums discuss how Lord Hood was exaggerating when he said Shipmaster glassed half of Africa but glassing Voi seems a little underwhelming considering his comment.
This is geographical speculation, but I may have an answer.

Mombassa was on the coast, and from Halo 3, we can see that the portal was mostly ‘on land’, and the end of ODST shows the city at the edge of the portal.
In real life, Voi is about 150km directly inland from Mombassa, so there’s that as well.
(not sure why Voi would have a marine dock so far in land, but hey ho)
You can also see what looks like a ruined city on the opposite side of the portal, which is presumably meant to be Mombassa.

Based on this, if the Flood ship crashed at Voi, it would make more sense from them to spread further in land and across Africa, rather than the direction of the coast. And though Mombassa would have likely represented a large food source, I’d imagine most of the survivors would have evacuated. Plus, the dead bodies from the initial attack would have begun decomposition, which may effect how effective the Flood is at assimilating their mass.

Given Hood’s tone, id say his ‘half a continent’ comment is an exaggeration to some degree, but it is possible that the Elites took a ‘better safe than sorry’ approach to containing the spread.

Again, just speculation though.
Quote:
This is geographical speculation, but I may have an answer.

Mombassa was on the coast, and from Halo 3, we can see that the portal was mostly ‘on land’, and the end of ODST shows the city at the edge of the portal.
In real life, Voi is about 150km directly inland from Mombassa, so there’s that as well.
(not sure why Voi would have a marine dock so far in land, but hey ho)
You can also see what looks like a ruined city on the opposite side of the portal, which is presumably meant to be Mombassa.

Based on this, if the Flood ship crashed at Voi, it would make more sense from them to spread further in land and across Africa, rather than the direction of the coast. And though Mombassa would have likely represented a large food source, I’d imagine most of the survivors would have evacuated. Plus, the dead bodies from the initial attack would have begun decomposition, which may effect how effective the Flood is at assimilating their mass.

Given Hood’s tone, id say his ‘half a continent’ comment is an exaggeration to some degree, but it is possible that the Elites took a ‘better safe than sorry’ approach to containing the spread.

Again, just speculation though.
Not completly sure if its only a theory or mentioned in the Lore,but the Lake is pressumably man made for easier shipping of the goods produced in Voi