1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Primortem wrote:
stckrboy wrote:
I can't say anything bad about ONI. Literally <.<
I see why.
For the question: I think they're just disturbingly evil and have made the worst things anyone could do... well, excluding the things Faber has done of course. However, they do the things they did and do for the best of Humanity. For example, they keep on researching the Flood to develop the best tactics possible, despite it being very... inconsistent and that led to many outbreaks like the Mona Lisa.
I hate them, but they're extremely important in Halo's narrative and it wouldn't be the same without this disturbingly shady organization.
It's a good thing that they're on our side... or are they?
:p
Yup, thankfully. Just don't try to get too deep into the truth.
I’m just saying that they are messing with fire. Some day the Sangheili are going to find out what ONI is doing.
Not necessarily and if they work things out with their secret plans it won't matter, press that button and kill those genocidal freaks.

HUMANITY FIRST!
That is an extremist view and I don’t agree with it. Human and Sangheili will become great allies
I like ONI but don't get on their bad side.
Primortem wrote:
stckrboy wrote:
I see why.
For the question: I think they're just disturbingly evil and have made the worst things anyone could do... well, excluding the things Faber has done of course. However, they do the things they did and do for the best of Humanity. For example, they keep on researching the Flood to develop the best tactics possible, despite it being very... inconsistent and that led to many outbreaks like the Mona Lisa.
I hate them, but they're extremely important in Halo's narrative and it wouldn't be the same without this disturbingly shady organization.
It's a good thing that they're on our side... or are they?
:p
Yup, thankfully. Just don't try to get too deep into the truth.
Don’t dig too far, you might not like what you find... Just relax, we’ve... I mean THEY have your back.. heh...
I rather enjoy doing their dirty work, the whole cloak and dagger thing is really my style of fighting. Part of winning wars and battles is to see the whole picture, and do the things no one wants to do to protect everyone. Yes there are some unethical things they have done, but it was mostly (if not all) for the benefit of humanity. Like Admiral Paragosky said in the Kilo-Five trilogy, you gotta kick them in the balls while their still down.
Amen. Stomp them out. Twice.
I think their organization is a cool concept, like CIA up to 11, but the stuff they do always makes them out to be a bunch of -Yoinks!-. I know they "do it for humanity's sake", and most of it is necessary, but still. Especially Halsey and her behavior in Reach and 5...
I think their organization is a cool concept, like CIA up to 11, but the stuff they do always makes them out to be a bunch of -Yoinks!-. I know they "do it for humanity's sake", and most of it is necessary, but still. Especially Halsey and her behavior in Reach and 5...
Well by ONI's standards even Halsey was considered rogue, she blew the budget on clones, which were illegal by ONI's policy, and Admiral Paragosky wanted her head by the end of it. Also they're more like MI6 since their home base is located in Sydney Australia, but I can see how it's like the CIA too.
They are the necessary evil of humanity. Ideas like trying to weaponise the flood are insane but at the end of it all it's to protect humanity.
They are the necessary evil of humanity. Ideas like trying to weaponise the flood are insane but at the end of it all it's to protect humanity.
Weaponizing the Flood just comes off to me as one of those things where ONI's scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should. There's just far too many ways that can go horribly wrong. At least the Covenant had Voro 'Mantakree to stop similar shenanigans on their end.
Weaponizing the Flood just comes off to me as one of those things where ONI's scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should. There's just far too many ways that can go horribly wrong. At least the Covenant had Voro 'Mantakree to stop similar shenanigans on their end.
The worst thing is that if they can't understand it, let alone are they capable of weaponizing it.
what is your General opinion about ONI. I personally think that while they were helpful I’m the Human-Covenant War after the war they have just been missing with stuff that they don’t need to be messing with. Like the Sangheili Civil War.
Wort my people died for WHAAT
I don't like ONI due to the shady stuff they pull, and the inhumane things that go on at their black sites. I think they were needed after the HC war, but they don't really serve much of a purpose outside of war, counter terrorism, and intelligence gathering.
Space KGB and CIA on steroids. 'nough said
I’m just saying that they are messing with fire. Some day the Sangheili are going to find out what ONI is doing.
Not necessarily and if they work things out with their secret plans it won't matter, press that button and kill those genocidal freaks.

HUMANITY FIRST!
That is an extremist view and I don’t agree with it. Human and Sangheili will become great allies
Wait, wishing Humanity (the race I assume you're from) prosperity is extreme?

So you don't think it prudent to have a contingency plan to be able to take out the group of beings technologically; and in a LOT of cases, philosophically willing to wipe Humanity out? That's naiveté to me and a sure way to get dead should they revert to type.

Nothing wrong in having a plan B. People act like the Sangheili weren't cool exterminating Humanity for umpteen years - and like there ain't loads of them chomping at the bit to continue, ONI stops giving them reason to look inwards, they'll look out to Humanity and Thel can only do so much.
Nah, they’ve made sure to cover their tracks by erasing them... literally...

HUMANITY FIRST!
Wait, wishing Humanity (the race I assume you're from) prosperity is extreme?
You should hope that it isn't extreme, because if it is then there's simply no word to describe you.

What is extreme however is believing that something as banal as inter-species relations is a zero-sum game; that co-existence of both and prosperity of both are mutually exclusive. It's extremely dumb.

Living in a shared galaxy as it does, humanity's prosperity will be tightly bound to that of the other species right next to it.

So you don't think it prudent to have a contingency plan to be able to take out the group of beings technologically; and in a LOT of cases, philosophically willing to wipe Humanity out? That's naiveté to me and a sure way to get dead should they revert to type.

Nothing wrong in having a plan B. People act like the Sangheili weren't cool exterminating Humanity for umpteen years - and like there ain't loads of them chomping at the bit to continue, ONI stops giving them reason to look inwards, they'll look out to Humanity and Thel can only do so much.
Sensible contingencies are prudent. A contingency that can never be realized however, is not a contingency. It's a fantasy.
Keeping an eye on allies is prudent. Attacking allies when they are providing an independent front against your enemies is suicide.

Prioritizing targets and defense policy on the basis of species is stupid, because ideologies - both useful and antithetical - transcend species lines in Halo. Species on its own determines very little. Thinking, for example, that ONI is needed to keep the Sangheili from looking outwards is blissfully glossing over the inconvenient truth that the Sangheili do not collectively look anywhere. They are not a coherent and contiguous group, and therefore grouping based on species is quite useless; it tells you about politics as much as grouping based on eye color or skin color will. Jul's Covenant is quite coherent though, and it's not just composed of Sangheili. There are also other factions that deal with human secessionist groups, or actively recruit them. The opponent is not a species; it's ideological.

ONI's failure to see that is something I can see having contributed to its failure to contain Jul 'Mdama.
stckrboy wrote:
I see why.
True, true, we’ve made some mistakes. Saying we’re evil is another thing, it’s all perspective. From the average UNSC grunt, we’re organised crime in uniform, but to the high ranking Naval officials, we’re a helpful ally in the shadows, literally. We do what is required for the survival of humanity.
This message has been brought to you by Section Two
They were good during the human-Covenant War but now they gotta go. *loads grenade launcher and takes a DMR as well as a magnum*
I always found ONI to be a very interesting bunch. What other secrets are they hiding from us ?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2