Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Locked] Over-represenation of Americans in the games?

OP ley machine57

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
Now, as a disclaimer not to upset any patriotic Americans, I am simply bringing up what I believe to be a reasonable point.
I (incorrectly) included a statement about nationality in another post about Lasky, whereas I should've made a new post.
As a non-American, I can't help but notice that the Halo games (the GAMES, not the books, etc.) over-represent American characters.
I understand Halo is an American game series, but I believe there's not enough nationalities in the games reflective of the multiculturalism of our planet.
(*Another disclaimer: I am not talking about anything other than nationalities. There is diversity in race and gender).
It is the UNITED NATIONS Space Command, after all - not the USA Space Command. I believe there isn't a great enough representation of people from other nationalities, and is an unreal portrayal of 2552. Indians, Chinese, Russians, English even, perhaps there's room for improvement in the future games?
Thoughts?
343i should ad more mexican,chinese,german,etc characters and ad more colonies with non american natives, for open Halo to more public and this means more sales $$$$
i do not have nothing against Americans, they are handsome people :)
Yeah. What about the -Yoinking!- Asians man
Syc0 Santa wrote:
Yeah. What about the -Yoinking!- Asians man
No one likes An Asian, Santa.
Syc0 Santa wrote:
Yeah. What about the -Yoinking!- Asians man
No one likes An Asian, Santa.
Hey man , they got it out for us. All we got is Jun and Vale (i think)( and I -Yoinking!- hate vale).
Now, as a disclaimer not to upset any patriotic Americans, I am simply bringing up what I believe to be a reasonable point.
I (incorrectly) included a statement about nationality in another post about Lasky, whereas I should've made a new post.
As a non-American, I can't help but notice that the Halo games (the GAMES, not the books, etc.) over-represent American characters.
I understand Halo is an American game series, but I believe there's not enough nationalities in the games reflective of the multiculturalism of our planet.
(*Another disclaimer: I am not talking about anything other than nationalities. There is diversity in race and gender).
It is the UNITED NATIONS Space Command, after all - not the USA Space Command. I believe there isn't a great enough representation of people from other nationalities, and is an unreal portrayal of 2552. Indians, Chinese, Russians, English even, perhaps there's room for improvement in the future games?
Thoughts?
I think it has more to do with voice actor availability, and what kind of actors they need, not that they don't want too. Not only that, but its easier to portray your own nationality, and make characters based off that rather than make other characters that would take more development time and cost for little benefit.
Syc0 Santa wrote:
Syc0 Santa wrote:
Yeah. What about the -Yoinking!- Asians man
No one likes An Asian, Santa.
Hey man , they got it out for us. All we got is Jun and Vale (i think)( and I -Yoinking!- hate vale).
I don't think Vale is Asian.
Just weird.
She wants to bang Sangheili, but hey.
Different strokes for different folks(or Spartans), am I right?
Here come the "anti-PC" fanboys to protest against the inclusion of greater ethnic diversity in the Halo series, as they do in every thread asking for greater presentation. Because asking for better representation of minorities, women and gay people is forcing "your politics" onto people.

Of course I'm down for that. It would be great to represent different cultures and countries within the game. I really enjoyed how Halo: Reach represented Hungarian cultural aspects quite well and I always thought it was really cool to see marines with different accents. I also liked how Halo 2 and Halo 3 focused on Africa instead of just going with a generic America setting. I'd love to see more of that with 343's Halo games.

Of course, it's hard to represent a country or culture well as an outsider, but consultation from members of those cultures could help. A more multicultural UNSC is more interesting and more realistic than one that simply boils down to America in space.
Well, I feel that games created under Bungie's direction of the franchise did a decent job of including multiple nationalities in the game. 343 is a bit more lacking in that department, though some of the miners on Meridian seem to be a step towards greater diversity.
Well, I feel that games created under Bungie's direction of the franchise did a decent job of including multiple nationalities in the game. 343 is a bit more lacking in that department, though some of the miners on Meridian seem to be a step towards greater diversity.
However, most American games will want to include, well, Americans. It's unavoidable. Any non-white person is usually a side character or dead.
Spoiler:
Show
If you look at Linda, her last name is "Pravdin", which might be Indian. I don't know, and i'm trying to stay neutral in the current political-racial turmoil here, but that's what I think. So of the other side characters were also non-American. (Key word: Side Characters) Kelly also sounds slightly British. The S-II with Kilo-5 (Naomi) is of Scandanavian descent. But yeah, it's mostly whites. That's normal.
Well, technically neither John or Locke can be considered Americans, Buck sure as hell can't, and neither Fred, Linda, or Kelly.
Well, technically neither John or Locke can be considered Americans, Buck sure as hell can't, and neither Fred, Linda, or Kelly.
Even Lasky can't be considered American, as he was born on Mars.

Therefore, OP, your argument is invalid.
What is John's last name?
Syc0 Santa wrote:
Yeah. What about the -Yoinking!- Asians man
Racist!
What is John's last name?
No ones Know, is a secret, that is reason why the original family of John is still hidden from the fans
Syc0 Santa wrote:
Syc0 Santa wrote:
Yeah. What about the -Yoinking!- Asians man
No one likes An Asian, Santa.
Hey man , they got it out for us. All we got is Jun and Vale (i think)( and I -Yoinking!- hate vale).
I don't think Vale is Asian.
Just weird.
She wants to bang Sangheili, but hey.
Different strokes for different folks(or Spartans), am I right?
Hahaha, well we need another redhead character with a very very open mind like vale :)
MKFREYA wrote:
What is John's last name?
No ones Know, is a secret, that is reason why the original family of John is still hidden from the fans
Any fan favorite theory? Maybe he's the son a famous insurrectionist commander.
It wouldn't hurt the series, in my opinion. Noble Team seemed quite diverse in terms of nationality, and they were a cool bunch. There's no reason why a more globally diverse cast would be a bad thing.
That being said, I don't think Halo is suffering from a lack of diversity; it gives important roles to characters of varying gender and race. Halo certainly isn't a white-washed, male-dominated series; at least not like some other games (cough cough Duke Nukem cough cough). The last thing I'd want is for them to throw in new characters thoughtlessly just to check off the diversity box on the list of things to include.
MKFREYA wrote:
What is John's last name?
No ones Know, is a secret, that is reason why the original family of John is still hidden from the fans
Any fan favorite theory? Maybe he's the son a famous insurrectionist commander.
Nah the ONI has the name and location of families of all spartans of all generations if John learns the identity of his true family, thee ONI would know and will kidnap his family to force John to not leave the army and never reveal the truth about Spartans to the public, such as the CIA,NATO, IMF do today
Objectivity speaking..... Mixed races should probably be in yes... But please keep in mind Halo is an American game so you should expect a little bias.

Languages? not really. the main language for space is English or Russian... So since everyone speaks English it "kinda" makes sense.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7