Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Locked] Over-represenation of Americans in the games?

OP ley machine57

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. ...
  6. 7
343 are really lazy when it comes to making the U(NITED). N(ATIONS). S.C feel like it is made of many nations and not just TEAM AMERICA F**K YEAH! Can't American voice actors do other accents? Seems such a small ting to be able to implement.
I loved hearing Australian, South American, British etc. accents in HCE-3, it was immersive, really highlighted the UNITED NATIONS element.
It doesn't even make sense that such a small nation, relatively speaking, would have it's accent be the most prolific. Unless, 343 feels U.S Americans are THAT xenophobic that hearing other accents would turn them off the game?!?!!??!
Uhh, dude, Kelly was voiced by a British actress and HW2 Anders is voiced by an Australian half-chinese half-irish actress, and in Meridian appears a miner tlking in portuguese.
And don't forget about Terrence Hood, a British with an american accent
343 are really lazy when it comes to making the U(NITED). N(ATIONS). S.C feel like it is made of many nations and not just TEAM AMERICA F**K YEAH! Can't American voice actors do other accents? Seems such a small ting to be able to implement.
I loved hearing Australian, South American, British etc. accents in HCE-3, it was immersive, really highlighted the UNITED NATIONS element.
It doesn't even make sense that such a small nation, relatively speaking, would have it's accent be the most prolific. Unless, 343 feels U.S Americans are THAT xenophobic that hearing other accents would turn them off the game?!?!!??!
Uhh, dude, Kelly was voiced by a British actress and HW2 Anders is voiced by an Australian half-chinese half-irish actress, and in Meridian appears a miner tlking in portuguese.
And don't forget about Terrence Hood, a British with an american accent
Give ya Kelly, Anders sounds like a yank (the voice actor doesn't matter, they could all be French for all I care, I am talking about what I hear in cut scenes and when interacting with troops).
Blink and you could miss the Portuguese guy as compared to, oh, most main characters sounding American.
Hood is a (minor) annoying case, love me some Ron Pearlman but Hood should have a British accent.
....I watched the game 'movie' of the latest COD game, THAT felt like a real international coalition, accents out the ying-yang. Sad day when I look to a COD game as an example over Halo.
As far as I know only two confirmed Americans to this point them being johnson an illinoisan and Thorne from fireteam majestic being arizonan. Johnson's identity as an American is released via book and thorne's via spartan ops cutscenes. Do correct me if I am wrong though. I would like to see more confirmed Americans and in specific southerners as they would be amongst the most rowdy in the unsc.as for the accents very few in game are actually American just some of the leaders really. Johnson is voice acted by a brit.
I thought Jorge and Kat were great additions; Kat seemed like she could be from some "eastern block"( excuse my words, lack of a better term), and Jorge was definitely from that are too. Jun could have some "asian" heritage. But he couldve been from anywhere.
*Note* I have not delved into the origins of much of Noble Team. Not really high on my Halo list. Sorry for any misconstrued comments.
Halo Wars 2, many of the UNSC units there have different accents hinting at their nationalities:
  • Hellbringer - Scottish
  • Sniper - Australian
  • ODST - British (no idea where)
  • Cryotrooper - Australian
  • Hornet - Southern USA
  • Wolverine - Indian
  • Grizzly - Russian
The rest are either American or Canadian.(Possibly depending on states too, Hopefully someone can list those.) But it's certainly a good start at showing that the UNSC comprises of people of many nationalities. Could be a few more I missed. such as the Mantis driver having an Asian accent (not sure which, obviously not Indian, and seems like a light accent).
What a pointless Thread.
The lore would suggest that a decent chunk of all Marines are from Colony-worlds, and not even from Earth, let alone "America". And what would it matter, anyway? All you'd need to change is to have the voice-actors put on an accent and slightly change the skin-tone of the in-game characters and that would be the end of it. Such an anemic, trivial complaint— holy Hell.

Things like this make me roll my eyes...
American Developer means Americans are going to get a majority of the representation.
No one complains how so much of Anime features Japanese Characters do they?

You can complain that American developers have an unfair advantage when it comes to amount of resources at their disposal, but it has been that way with all media ever since literature. Heck I often joke that fiction takes place in only 3 cities when it is on Earth, London, New York, and Tokyo. We all know the joke about Star Wars and Lando (and how Imperial ideology got a little more diversified after episode 6).
You want someone that is not American aka typical white male, you got the Master Chief. Now someone may argue that Eric Nylund and the fall of reach has already taken off the helmet which is why I don't consider the books as canon because design intent was meant to be a self insert, at least for males (Females did not get anything until Halo Reach). So you could make Master chief what ever you want, he has no identifiable ethnicity, other than human male. Keys, Lord hood, Sgt. Johnson, Buck, that is a different story but they are more of a supporting cast.
Halo wars 2 had great additions with British, aussie, Scottish, and Russian along with the usual generic american accent and southern american accent. I hope 343 continue this as it was a bit weird in halo 4 with just having american sounding marines.
Aren't most of the characters from Halo not from Earth? The only ones I remember are Johnson and Thorne
I mean, speaking from just noticing a lot of the characters, I've seen a lot of different ethnic characters. While most are just background fodder NPC's to add some life to the areas, we have seen quite a few different backgrounds in the games.

I also think you're confusing 'American' with 'English native speaking characters'. Just because they speak English, doesn't mean they're American. In Halo lore, English became the primary universal language I do believe. This is why just about every character speaks it consistently (unless you have a non-English copy or switch the languages). But if you look at the characters you interact with, you'll find quite a few different ethnic characters all around you. We had the Australian Police force in New Mombasa, Asian work force NPC's in Voi, I believe we had the Swahili 19 year old Sadie Endesha who works alongside the Forerunner creation Virgil, Locke is African American as is Sgt. Johnson, Jorge-052 was possibly Hungarian, Linda-058 was Scottish descent I believe, Kelly-087 is a descendant from the UK. The list goes on honestly.

While I'm not against adding more cultural differences and even further than that; I think it's kind of ignorant to ignore the obvious ones we already have just because they don't speak their ancestors native tongues.
Not to be rude or anything.
But aren't you politicizing the game a little bit?
The way the game is is authentic simply because the militaristic lifestyle of the UNSC fits best to the Americans simply because there are parallels to the military lifetsyle in the Marine Corpse or Army etc..

There are already many different nationalities represented in the game but i don't think that there really is a need to take special care that all nationalities are included simply because this is a videogame nothing more nothing less.
I honestly don't know what you're talking about. There are representations of people from other places (even though the vast majority of characters aren't even from Earth). And honestly, there are more Australians in the games than anyone else, seeing as it's the capital of Earth. Just because the majority of characters speak with an American accent doesn't mean that they are of American nationality, but that those are just the nationalities of the voice actors.
And this is why we have the books.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Halo's done pretty well in this regard, I think. At least up until Halo 4. Marines of many nationalities appear in the games, Bungie changed the voice of one or two characters in a sequel to try and get a different accent for them, Hungarian has a fairly prominent place in Halo: Reach, and let's not forget - unlike a lot of "alien invasion" stories, Halo 2/3 takes place in AFRICA of all places, rather than something like New York - which a lot of American Sci-Fi falls into.

EDIT: It's also fair to mention that there is a Portuguese-speaking NPC in Halo 5.
American Developer means Americans are going to get a majority of the representation.

You can complain that American developers have an unfair advantage when it comes to amount of resources at their disposal, but it has been that way with all media ever since literature. Heck I often joke that fiction takes place in only 3 cities when it is on Earth, London, New York, and Tokyo. We all know the joke about Star Wars and Lando (and how Imperial ideology got a little more diversified after episode 6).
You want someone that is not American aka typical white male, you got the Master Chief. Now someone may argue that Eric Nylund and the fall of reach has already taken off the helmet which is why I don't consider the books as canon because design intent was meant to be a self insert, at least for males (Females did not get anything until Halo Reach). So you could make Master chief what ever you want, he has no identifiable ethnicity, other than human male. Keys, Lord hood, Sgt. Johnson, Buck, that is a different story but they are more of a supporting cast.
The book, The Fall of Reach, was released for purchase ten days before Halo: Combat Evolved. The books came first: the books have precedence.

The book, The Fall of Reach, was released for purchase ten days before Halo: Combat Evolved. The books came first: the books have precedence.
As a lore fanatic, I'd love to agree with you and say that books take precedence. But in reality, Bungie always prioritized game lore over book lore. Take the game Reach vs the book Fall of Reach you mentioned above as an example. I vaguely recall Bungie outright saying that the game retcons the book. Now with 343, they have taken great strides to mesh the stories together so that they can both exist within canon. So under 343, I'd say that all lore is on equal footing, whereas under Bungie the games stood above the books in terms of canonical hierarchy.

Whether one came before the other is kinda irrelevant given Bungie's approach to the lore.

Sorry but Halo would be the Game and the game alone. Without the game the books would have never existed.

You can say that about A Song of Ice and Fire. With out those books the show would never exist, but as far as precedence it is always the closest to the source.
I think it's something that they (343) wants to do, but I think it just all boils down to availability in area and $$$.
Going to close this one off, conversation died in 2017
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. ...
  6. 7