Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Possible Catalog] Jiralhanae -us suffix question

OP xNAKED CROOKx

I need clarification on this.

does the Jiralhanae -us suffix denote a masculine title, or is it a title given for battle/experience/maturity?

Perhaps someone would know for sure. I always thought it was masculine, but I have recently learned that it denotes maturity. Not sure if it is both, or if it is only one of these.

Perhaps this is a Catalog question?
The suffix is given as maturity is reached and explained in Contact Harvest.
The suffix is given as maturity is reached and explained in Contact Harvest.
Interesting. I guess I was thinking of something else then.

Alright, thanks.

EDIT: Then again...isn't there a Brute with the -um suffix? I guess this would be a clan/pack thing?

Then again...again...do we know if females the the -us suffix as well, or do they get a different suffix? I am mainly asking cause a friend and I are having a discussion on the naming conventions of females - if they would be subject to the same naming convention if it is JUST a maturity thing.

Anything canon is preferred, but speculation is also welcome.
Catalog, could you please explain the meaning behind Bracktanus's suffix? I feel deeply uncomfortable with all those Jiralhanae traditions. It's too difficult to understand.
Edit: sorry if it wasn't appropriate. Anyway, it's the first time I've realized all of that about the suffix, so I can't really say how it works for females.
Detailed information on Jiralhanae personal naming practices is currently held in inaccessible cores. However, the suffix "-um" is only recorded for those personnel affiliated with the Rh'tol skein.
I still can't make the distinction between clan / pack / skein, does anyone know anything about these terms? It seems to me that "skein" is a fairly recent term, judging by the Universe section. (I mean, in the real world. It's obviously an old thing in the Halo universe).
If Catalog does not know, then this means we need more Jiralhanae culture lore.

Gives us the wild ladies. Tell us moar about Jiralhanae females! I beseech thee 343 Industries!

Anyway, thanks everyone. If anyone else has anything else to add, feel free to give your 2 cents.
I may have imagined Tartarus being Tartarsauce before becoming a mature Brute.
I may have imagined Tartarus being Tartarsauce before becoming a mature Brute.
Question is does he have a prominent liking for Kig-Yar Ibie'shan or Yonhet, they are the most fishy looking... :P