Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Questions about Reach datapads and flood.

OP Boba772

So I had two questions.
First, what were the Reach datapads? What story did they tell, when were they recorded, and just what were they? I got really confused.
Second, I know that the flood are back, thanks to escalation. Did the UNSC / ONI think that the Flood were gone for good at the end of 3? I thought that the Flood was taken in for study on all the Halo rings, and they were contained there. That would explain how they showed up in the main trilogy. But how did they appear in Wars?
Thanks in advance, and sorry if these are obvious questions.
The reach datapads are an interesting collection of notes on meetings, held apparently by AIs, which suggest a path towards nudging humanity in a particular direction (such as the Spartan program). It implies that that the AIs new of the covenant well in advance, but wanted to prepare humanity for space warfare through other means.
If you've looked at Spartan Assault (which is available free via an XBox gold subscription for XBox One for this month - worth 'buying' now if you have a XBox gold subscription (360) as the subscription is one and the same, and will be identified when you get an XBox One), the co-op mission is about Flood eradication. The Spartan IVs not so public purpose is to be a line of defense against the flood.
In Halo Wars, it appears that a planet with flood (but not sentient life) was found (I think the SOF was chasing a covenant fleet at the time). So no supermind forming (as no minds to integrate). Exactly where it (the flood) came from is a good question. I'd have to replay to tease out the details.

However, given the Halos are designed to wipe out flood food (sentient life), its possible that flood were capable of hosting in semi-sentient life for a while. I'd really need to re-visit the storyline of Halo Wars (which is currently in my to do list, I'm working my way through all the titles that aren't MCC).
Thank you so much! Yeah, I am playing Halo Spartan Assult as we speak, actually, on the xbox one haha. I will look out for Flood stuff, but since I am playing Single Player I suppose I shall wait until one of my mates gets a One, so we can do the co-op. The datapads interested me, and now that I know the story it is all the more interesting. :D Thank you very much. :)
The Reach Datapads detail the work of Ancient Human AIs dubbed "The Assembly" tasked with keeping humanity alive at all cost. It was their efforts that started the Insurrection,the Spartan Programs (Halsey was a pawn), prolonged the covenant war and much more.

As for the Flood ONI was aware of their possible return due to finding Chakas,The Bornsteller relation,and dead catalog remains. This gave them information such as the Flood possibly returning.
Quote:
The Reach Datapads detail the work of Ancient Human AIs dubbed "The Assembly" tasked with keeping humanity alive at all cost. It was their efforts that started the Insurrection,the Spartan Programs (Halsey was a pawn), prolonged the covenant war and much more.
When/where was the age of the Assembly AIs mentioned?
Quote:
Quote:
The First datapad or so it is stated they are electronically exercised from Human minds and are tasked with watching humanity- that their existence has been speculated for a while.
The AI's guiding humanity through a certain course of history and into the Spartan programs actually fits in with the Librarian's geas implanted into humanity.
The assembly AI's their from the ancient human civilization ???? I thought we didn't know where they originated..
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The First datapad or so it is stated they are electronically exercised from Human minds and are tasked with watching humanity- that their existence has been speculated for a while.
So to clarify, when you say "Ancient" are you referring to Ancient Humanity prior to devolution? Or simply just old

Because it's clear enough that the AIs have been in operation since the 2300s as their commentary in 2381 on the rise and fall of several human empires and the rise of their latest venture in light of then-recent colonization efforts. But it would be one hell of leap without proof to assume that these AIs were part of Ancient Humanity as there's nothing at all to actually off of. If anything, if these AIs are a creation of Ancient Humanity it would be incredibly odd that they would be pondering the existence of any extraterrestrial life beyond Earth.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So to clarify, when you say "Ancient" are you referring to Ancient Humanity prior to devolution? Or simply just old

Because it's clear enough that the AIs have been in operation since the 2300s as their commentary in 2381 on the rise and fall of several human empires and the rise of their latest venture in light of then-recent colonization efforts. But it would be one hell of leap without proof to assume that these AIs were part of Ancient Humanity as there's nothing at all to actually off of.
Not to be blunt, but it gets annoying when fans of anything insist on somethings being spelled out to be accepted.

As of this day, 343I has not outright confirmed the ruins on Heian to be Ancient Human, but using the process of deductive reasoning (common sense) we know they are.

Perhaps i'll do an article spelling it all out, as I do not feel like doing so here and you can easily read the first few Datapads and see the information. The AI's were made long before Human's started creating them, Stated they were made from Human minds, [color=green]Their mission is to ensure the genetic stability of their creators latest empire,Onyx was determined to be a threat to the genetic stability of their creators species, They started the Insurrection,They Manipulate ONI,They created the spartan programs and pushed for the second iteration, They want all of humanity to be augmented (which later Halsey and Ackerson want), The Covenant war was prolonged by the assembly so humanity could gain technology, I could literally go on all day.

I am not attacking you, but I cannot express how..poor it is to not read/understand a piece of material and then state someone is jumping to conclusions. Majority of that information is present within the first five-ten Datapads. The Encyclopedia lists Neptune as "too far to travel to" despite having slipspace, Which means something must be there that ONI doesn't want people to find out. For the Assembly to monitor and influence all of Humanity's activitythey must be very close.

Quote:
If anything, if these AIs are a creation of Ancient Humanity it would be incredibly odd that they would be pondering the existence of any extraterrestrial life beyond Earth.
Err, Compartmentalization? Like 343 doesn't know jack squat about anything save 04.?

Quote:
The AI's guiding humanity through a certain course of history and into the Spartan programs actually fits in with the Librarian's geas implanted into humanity.
I really dislike the instance that the Librarian is the reason for everything because it makes Humanity look like play-things rather than an intelligent race. Cobra has been reading something that Greg got the idea of Geas from, and would probably say she is encouraging our natural behaviors. Even still, she is no doubt making her own impression which is what Forthencho was getting pissed about in Primordium.
With Wars I'm going to assume it's because the planet was a shield world. When the Halos fired there were probably flood inside of it that than survived and made their way outside onto the outer surface.
Query Answer: The purported "Assembly" is referenced in logs recovered by Spartan B-312 during combat operations on Reach. This organization appears to be a group of rogue AI constructs which have been observing and guiding humanity. The reliability of this information has been contested.
Quote:
Query Answer: The purported "Assembly" is referenced in logs recovered by Spartan B-312 during combat operations on Reach. This organization appears to be a group of rogue AI constructs which have been observing and guiding humanity. The reliability of this information has been contested.
*looks at name*Interesting.

What about the reliability of your information "catalog"? How do we know this isn't some attempt to demoralize humanity with false information? ;)
Quote:
Quote:
*looks at name*Interesting.

What about the reliability of your information "catalog"? How do we know this isn't some attempt to demoralize humanity with false information? ;)
You're not using the proper syntax for addressing Catalog! You have to use 'Query:' first it seems :)
Out there ideas. Could the Assembly be accessing a part of the Domain? Perhaps that is why humans are using them for guidance? In the future when the Flood return could the Assembly be the beginning force that starts the logic plague and the powerful AI that the Flood use like they did with Mendicant Bias?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Because it's clear enough that the AIs have been in operation since the 2300s as their commentary in 2381 on the rise and fall of several human empires and the rise of their latest venture in light of then-recent colonization efforts. But it would be one hell of leap without proof to assume that these AIs were part of Ancient Humanity as there's nothing at all to actually off of.
Not to be blunt, but it gets annoying when fans of anything insist on somethings being spelled out to be accepted.

As of this day, 343I has not outright confirmed the ruins on Heian to be Ancient Human, but using the process of deductive reasoning (common sense) we know they are.

Perhaps i'll do an article spelling it all out, as I do not feel like doing so here and you can easily read the first few Datapads and see the information. The AI's were made long before Human's started creating them, Stated they were made from Human minds, [color=green]Their mission is to ensure the genetic stability of their creators latest empire,Onyx was determined to be a threat to the genetic stability of their creators species, They started the Insurrection,They Manipulate ONI,They created the spartan programs and pushed for the second iteration, They want all of humanity to be augmented (which later Halsey and Ackerson want), The Covenant war was prolonged by the assembly so humanity could gain technology, I could literally go on all day.

I am not attacking you, but I cannot express how..poor it is to not read/understand a piece of material and then state someone is jumping to conclusions. Majority of that information is present within the first five-ten Datapads. The Encyclopedia lists Neptune as "too far to travel to" despite having slipspace, Which means something must be there that ONI doesn't want people to find out. For the Assembly to monitor and influence all of Humanity's activitythey must be very close.

Quote:
If anything, if these AIs are a creation of Ancient Humanity it would be incredibly odd that they would be pondering the existence of any extraterrestrial life beyond Earth.
Err, Compartmentalization? Like 343 doesn't know jack squat about anything save 04.?

Quote:
I really dislike the instance that the Librarian is the reason for everything because it makes Humanity look like play-things rather than an intelligent race. Cobra has been reading something that Greg got the idea of Geas from, and would probably say she is encouraging our natural behaviors. Even still, she is no doubt making her own impression which is what Forthencho was getting pissed about in Primordium.
I read the data pads, but please give us the exact lines for these statements:
-they started the insurrection
-they prolonged the covenant war