Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Reality of Halo: Plasma

OP Persico12

Not sure if this would go here or General Discussion, but alas our member at the Halo Archive wrote an exceptional piece on Plasma and how realistic or possible it is in real life. Figured I would post it for other universe lovers to ponder over.

Article

"Plasma can also be used for propulsion, and NASA has experimented with such engines in real life. Real life Ion engines use a filament heated by an electrical current, that lets off a steady stream of Ions. The thrust in these is generally measured in ounces, due to their relative lack of power compared to other methods. In fact, they would not do much, if anything in a terrestrial environment, which is a problem when facing the fact that Covenant ships ranging from the tiny Corvettes to enormous Supercarriers have all been seen inside the atmosphere of human-inhabited planets, meaning that that having an engine system that is only efficient in space would require one capable of moving in an atmosphere; not very practical."
ARMARGARD I RERT DIS
^^^lolz
For clarification and edification:
All UNSC and Covenant vessels make extensive use of [repulsors-lifters] inside of gravity well [lattices], which can be operated in a [traction caterpillar] mode to generate limited amounts of [pseudothrust]. Inefficient [cylic gravity] plates with short-range [effector fields] are also utilized by Covenant ground vehicles.

This is a rudimentary technology [bridge] to refined application of [twist-torsion] impulse plates for [high-thrust] travel usable outside of the supporting [lattice] of a planet's gravity well. Though recent human vessels make some use of this [art], based on [copy-of-copy] designs utilized by the Covenant, standard propulsion systems use a form of [inertial-electrostatic-fusion] [torch] drive that is quite [ingenious-clever-lucky] in its application of high-order [manifolds] to mitigate energetic [backblast].
Quote:
All UNSC and Covenant vessels make extensive use of [repulsors-lifters] inside of gravity well [lattices], which can be operated in a [traction caterpillar] mode to generate limited amounts of [pseudothrust]. Inefficient [cylic gravity] plates with short-range [effector fields] are also utilized by Covenant ground vehicles.

This is a rudimentary technology [bridge] to refined application of [twist-torsion] impulse plates for [high-thrust] travel usable outside of the supporting [lattice] of a planet's gravity well. Though recent human vessels make some use of this [art], based on [copy-of-copy] designs utilized by the Covenant, standard propulsion systems use a form of [inertial-electrostatic-fusion] [torch] drive that is quite [ingenious-clever-lucky] in its application of high-order [manifolds] to mitigate energetic [backblast].
I just got corrected by catalog. I don't know whether to be ashamed or excited.
Quote:

is Catalog here in an official capacity or just stopping by after visiting the train wreck that is the Halo 5 Guardians section?
Baartvedt wrote:
Quote:

is Catalog here in an official capacity or just stopping by after visiting the train wreck that is the Halo 5 Guardians section?
It sometimes comes back to make the odd post or two. I'm guessing the article in question got 343i's attention :D
BaconShelf wrote:
Baartvedt wrote:
Quote:

It sometimes comes back to make the odd post or two. I'm guessing the article in question got 343i's attention :D
Considering that Catalog took the time to correct you, 343i must have thought you did a very good job. Well done.
Quote:

Wow. this is impressive. Props to the guys who wrote this info in the Halo bible.

Catalog, If I'm understanding correctly, this also states that UNSC starships also made use of anti-gravity? Which would mean that the Frigates (ref. Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach) were utilizing the method you listed?
"With appropriate humility, we plied Catalog with questions. And it, with clarity and grace, has shown us... the truth. Of all the objects our lords left behind, there are none so useful as Catalog"

I do believe humanity has some form of gravity manipulation at the very least. We see the In Amber Clad making some crazy acceleration to catch up with Regret in Halo 2. Or maybe ships just doing ship-stuff while in atmosphere under gravity. I'm no physicist but some manipulation of gravity should be required to operate like that without everything inside thrown everywhere. Given how catalog mentions "copy of copy" it would also make sense since humanity relied on rotating rooms early on, as seen in Halo Reach. If we're looking at ships trying to operate while under gravity without any form of "dampening", we can look at Infinity. In one Halo 4 trailer, we see Infinity getting sucked into Requiem by the gravity well, which probably knocked out the gravity systems, leading to everything being tossed everywhere.
MPMixx wrote:
"With appropriate humility, we plied Catalog with questions. And it, with clarity and grace, has shown us... the truth. Of all the objects our lords left behind, there are none so useful as Catalog"

I do believe humanity has some form of gravity manipulation at the very least. We see the In Amber Clad making some crazy acceleration to catch up with Regret in Halo 2. Or maybe ships just doing ship-stuff while in atmosphere under gravity. I'm no physicist but some manipulation of gravity should be required to operate like that without everything inside thrown everywhere. Given how catalog mentions "copy of copy" it would also make sense since humanity relied on rotating rooms early on, as seen in Halo: The Fall of Reach. If we're looking at ships trying to operate while under gravity without any form of "dampening", we can look at Infinity. In one Halo 4 trailer, we see Infinity getting sucked into Requiem by the gravity well, which probably knocked out the gravity systems, leading to everything being tossed everywhere.
Whoops I just quoted myself and posted again. I meant to say Halo: The Fall of Reach not Halo Reach. My bad. Something is wrong with my editing and I cant seem to change it anyway.
BaconShelf wrote:
Quote:

I just got corrected by catalog. I don't know whether to be ashamed or excited.
Be both, and revel in the contradiction