Relatinship between john/cortana

OP Hells Devourer

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
I know this topic has been hit upon alot in the last couple of months but with the inclusion of halo 5 what is your view of the relationship between john and cortana. Imo, its love, though one sided on cortanas part. The chief in his own way describes their relationship as unique.But on the mission The Breaking at the end in the cutscene
Spoiler:
Show
Some people may think that its not love because its between a person and a A.I. who in essence is a machine. That its weird and creepy but you have to view it differently in that cortana though machine was created from the brain of a real flaesh and bone person. She also has the ability to show emotions like real people. If for a minute you were to forget that she was a A.I. and just listen to her speak as the character that she has become through out halo 4 and 5, what would you think? Would believe that you were listening to a machine talk or a person? In the halo universe, cortana has been becoming more and more humane to the point were she can ask the chief to figure out who is the machine. The idea of romance may be cliche, but then again this wouldnt be any ordinary romance.
I don't really understand what you're trying to say...

Chief and Cortana were friends, but after the events of 'Halo 5' - i.e. Cortana willingly murdering millions of innocent people, lying, manipulating, attempting to kill Blue Team, and then trying to keep the Chief prisoner for 10,000 years - I think it's safe to say they're not anymore.

Also this is hardly the first time the Chief has called out to someone in an effort to reach them. He's done so several times in the books, and in other things like 'Halo Legends'. This isn't some unusual behavior.

As for Cortana, whatever honest care she had for the Chief has completely evaporated into nothing but obsession and psychosis. It's not just creepy and weird at this point - it's sick, and it's borderline abusive. And I really hope future fiction addresses that.
Nah. I think it's more of dependency than love. Think Batman and Joker or The Master and The Doctor. Instead of being adversaries though, Chief and Cortana happened to have been very close allies.
In Halo 4s opening its hinted at that Contana wasn't just a military tool for John to use in battle but something that could make him a bit less broken. Something to "maintain his edficiency." It's only reasonable that someone like John would grow attached so fast. (Keep in mind that he spent a lot of time alone with her in very dangerous situations).
As for Cortana, she is a clone of Halsey's brain. I think we have to remember that John was very special to Halsey and in a way she needed him too. Halsey needed him to survive, not only the augmentation procoess as a child, but the impending war that Halsey knew was on the horizon. I think John's death as a child in any matter would've broken Halsey and she would have truly felt guilty for what she had done. Lines of dialogue from Cortana in Halo 3 suggest this as well. So, part of that is still carrying on today. That is why she wanted to seal him away in the cryptum She needs him to be safe because she's about to nuke the galaxy with a halo ring. Just my thought on it anyway.
In Halo 4s opening its hinted at that Contana wasn't just a military tool for John to use in battle but something that could make him a bit less broken. Something to "maintain his edficiency." It's only reasonable that someone like John would grow attached so fast. (Keep in mind that he spent a lot of time alone with her in very dangerous situations).
That is actually not true at all. Cortana was designed to be an infiltration unit only and was originally assigned to work with all the Spartan-IIs (with the Chief being her direct handler) as a part of OPERATION: Red Flag in late August of 2552, which went belly-up as soon as Reach was attacked by the Covenant and the Chief was separated form his other teammates. And though the Chief and Cortana did eventually become friends, she wasn't intended for that or any other function aside from general technical assistance. The Chief was just fine for the 40+ years he spent without an AI, so it stands to reason that he can do so again for the foreseeable future - he's not "broken", and has had plenty of other meaningful relationships throughout his life (and still has them now with several other characters).
I would not say it's love. I think of it more like a left brain, right brain kind of relationship. Through John's neural implants Cortana has technically been inside John's head so there's a connection there from being that close (even for the relatively short time they've been together.)

Two hearts, Two souls, One mind.
Taeonas117 wrote:
I would not say it's love. I think of it more like a left brain, right brain kind of relationship. Through John's neural implants Cortana has technically been inside John's head so there's a connection there from being that close (even for the relatively short time they've been together.)

Two hearts, Two souls, One mind.
That is actually not how interfacing with an AI works at all - this has been outlined in canon in the books several times. The idea of her being literally "inside his head" is something of a misnomer that's been created by the fandom over the years. In actual Halo canon Chief and Cortana always retained separate thoughts, emotions, and experiences at all times. Moreover Cortana could only read brainwave patterns/vital signs and boost his reaction times by interfacing with his neural lace via his armor - which was a connection that did have limitations. Chief and Cortana also only worked together for barely 3 months, and even in that time they were separated for extended periods. And not once did they ever have any kind of personal or meaningful interaction outside of combat. I'm not saying that Cortana was unimportant to him, she was a trusted teammate after all, but the fact of the matter is she and the Chief really don't have anything in common or know anything about each other as individuals. And as of 'Halo 5', it's is more obvious than ever that they don't share any kind of singular mindset.
If
Nah. I think it's more of dependency than love. Think Batman and Joker or The Master and The Doctor. Instead of being adversaries though, Chief and Cortana happened to have been very close allies.
As for Cortana, she is a clone of Halsey's brain. I think we have to remember that John was very special to Halsey and in a way she needed him too. Halsey needed him to survive, not only the augmentation procoess as a child, but the impending war that Halsey knew was on the horizon. I think John's death as a child in any matter would've broken Halsey and she would have truly felt guilty for what she had done. Lines of dialogue from Cortana in Halo 3 suggest this as well. So, part of that is still carrying on today. That is why she wanted to seal him away in the cryptum She needs him to be safe because she's about to nuke the galaxy with a halo ring. Just my thought on it anyway.
If it was dependency then cortana would have sent the warden or a guardian even to forcely bring the chief to her instead of taking the risk of givien the chief the choice. I also want to state that im not asking 343 to make the chief and cortana a couple, im only saying that after watching the way they interact, i can atleast assume theres more than a bff relationship. Cortana is the only one that the chief usually opens up too more then anyone else especially the rest of the spartans who are like family to him and known since he was 6.
If it was dependency then cortana would have sent the warden or a guardian even to forcely bring the chief to her instead of taking the risk of givien the chief the choice. I also want to state that im not asking 343 to make the chief and cortana a couple, im only saying that after watching the way they interact, i can atleast assume theres more than a bff relationship. Cortana is the only one that the chief usually opens up too more then anyone else especially the rest of the spartans who are like family to him and known since he was 6.
And when the Chief refused to join her she just forcibly locked him up anyway. It wasn't a risk. Her leading the Chief to her was all just a ruse, a trick to try and get him on her side. The game even acknowledges this in ambient dialogue, when the Chief calls her out for her attempts to manipulate him by "playing nice".

In what way has the Chief "opened up" to Cortana? Aside from him just being generally nice to her there is nothing in canon to support the notion that they are any more than friends or that the Chief regarded her as anything more than a teammate - in fact he's been shown to be just as close if not more-so to his Spartans in all of the novels. And at least with them we know he did spend time with them outside the battlefield and that they had many good times together. The Chief has none of that personal resonance with Cortana aside from some very weird subtext that comes about due to her connection to Dr. Hasley - the Chief's primary mother figure. And either way, after Cortana's betrayal in 'Halo 5' I'm fairly certain the Chief understands she is not his friend anymore.
And when the Chief refused to join her she just forcibly locked him up anyway. It wasn't a risk. Her leading the Chief to her was all just a ruse, a trick to try and get him on her side. The game even acknowledges this in ambient dialogue, when the Chief calls her out for her attempts to manipulate him by "playing nice".

In what way has the Chief "opened up" to Cortana? Aside from him just being generally nice to her there is nothing in canon to support the notion that they are any more than friends or that the Chief regarded her as anything more than a teammate - in fact he's been shown to be just as close if not more-so to his Spartans in all of the novels. And at least with them we know he did spend time with them outside the battlefield and that they had many good times together. The Chief has none of that personal resonance with Cortana aside from some very weird subtext that comes about due to her connection to Dr. Hasley - the Chief's primary mother figure. And either way, after Cortana's betrayal in 'Halo 5' I'm fairly certain the Chief understands she is not his friend anymore.
I guess i used the wrong wording but just let me quote the source
"He often makes dry remarks about the situation in hand; however, this seems to be more frequent when interacting with Cortana than anyone else, such as the other Spartans" ( halopidia john-117 personality). I dont know how reliable you would find halopidia.
I agree that they had good times but by the time halo 5 came around the chief, though with his spartan team, seemed off. Even Fred noticed and is why he stated the chief was "not fine". You argue that the chief was still grieving but the argent moon mission took place months after cortanas suppose death. Why was he like he was? You would think being with his family would bring some peace to mind. And even then the choef has lost other people that were important to him like sam, but he wasnt depressed for the whole 30+ years before hce. And though i said that its cortana who shows romantical intentions towards the chief, the chief really trust her without a doubt to go so far as following her plan in h3 when one no else believed her or
Spoiler:
Show
Besides what makes you think the chief still wont see cortana as a friend, when all she did was try to keep him save not kill him which she could have done.
Hells Devourer I'm not sure I can put it into words but I do feel the same as you. Chief will do what he believes is right in the end but if their is anyway and I mean anyway at all that he can both save humanity from her "gift" and save her from herself he will do it.
Hells Devourer I'm not sure I can put it into words but I do feel the same as you. Chief will do what he believes is right in the end but if their is anyway and I mean anyway at all that he can both save humanity from her "gift" and save her from herself he will do it.
Yes, because thats what makes the foundation of their relationship, that at the end of the day, they would risk their own lives to save/protect one another. They are more then friends though maybe and more than just team mates. They have a strong attachment to one another.The poem below in a way describes their relationship. It was part of the halo evolutions essention tales of the universe book.
The Connectivity"Theirs is a connection,
deeper than circuitry
Beyond that of man and machine
deeper still;the electric flash of synapse
It is bound in destiny; fortified in trust
deeper than blood
greater than love
Theirs is a union
the "Demon" and the goddess
the warrior and the intellect
Built for destruction Created for war
To deliver peace; through force and fire
Against an enemy from beyond the stars
Advanced and devout
In their wake; only glass
and the echoed screams of the dying
Threatened by oblivion; Tested by the promise of eternity
Yet they remain;
these two as one
Somewhere, out amongst the vast cold of the universe proper
They journey forth, into the unknown
This princess, of light and reason
This weapon, of flesh and bone"

"He often makes dry remarks about the situation in hand; however, this seems to be more frequent when interacting with Cortana than anyone else, such as the other Spartans" ( halopidia john-117 personality). I dont know how reliable you would find halopidia.
I agree that they had good times but by the time halo 5 came around the chief, though with his spartan team, seemed off. Even Fred noticed and is why he stated the chief was "not fine". You argue that the chief was still grieving but the argent moon mission took place months after cortanas suppose death. Why was he like he was? You would think being with his family would bring some peace to mind. And even then the choef has lost other people that were important to him like sam, but he wasnt depressed for the whole 30+ years before hce. And though i said that its cortana who shows romantical intentions towards the chief, the chief really trust her without a doubt to go so far as following her plan in h3 when one no else believed her or
Spoiler:
Show

Besides what makes you think the chief still wont see cortana as a friend, when all she did was try to keep him save not kill him which she could have done.
Once again I ask: What the heck is your point? What are you trying to prove?

When Sam died John was still a very young man, still had many of his Spartans at his side, and was ready to fight the war he'd been trained to fight. He used Sam's death as a way to keep himself motivated to win and to protect his remaining teammates...Now fast forward to 'Halo 4' - the Chief wakes up from cryo and encounters a vengeful Forerunner General that he knows next to nothing about, Cortana is dying, he doesn't know where any of his Spartans are or if they still live, and the UNSC doesn't seem to give a lick about him anymore. At this point he's also seen more than enough death and destruction. And to top it all off, once again a friend ends up sacrificing their life to save his. However aside from that one mention about the Chief being "not fine" by Fred, we see no other change in his behavior or attitude. This is hardly the first time the Chief has taken a risk to help a teammate. See 'First Strike' for ample examples of this.

The current Cortana is crazy and obsessed with the Chief. No more, no less. And as far as Blue Team goes, Halo 5's writing for them sucked - that has been acknowledged by pretty much the entire community. If you really want to understand how strong of a bond they have with the Chief, read the books.

And no, Halopedia is not a legitimate source. Again, read the books if you want to understand the Chief's personality.

And again, Cortana lied to the Chief, openly attempted to trick and manipulate him, attacked Blue Team, and them tried to keep him prisoner when he wouldn't agree with her even though he gave her every opportunity to stop what she was doing. She's not his friend anymore. End of story. The Chief isn't a moron, and he already knew she was trying to trick him but gave her the benefit of the doubt because of thier past friendship...yet she threw it back in his face. There is no way he doesn't understand her true nature now.
Yes, because thats what makes the foundation of their relationship, that at the end of the day, they would risk their own lives to save/protect one another. They are more then friends though maybe and more than just team mates. They have a strong attachment to one another.The poem below in a way describes their relationship. It was part of the halo evolutions essention tales of the universe book.
The Connectivity"Theirs is a connection,
deeper than circuitry
Beyond that of man and machine
deeper still;the electric flash of synapse
It is bound in destiny; fortified in trust
deeper than blood
greater than love
Theirs is a union
the "Demon" and the goddess
the warrior and the intellect
Built for destruction Created for war
To deliver peace; through force and fire
Against an enemy from beyond the stars
Advanced and devout
In their wake; only glass
and the echoed screams of the dying
Threatened by oblivion; Tested by the promise of eternity
Yet they remain;
these two as one
Somewhere, out amongst the vast cold of the universe proper
They journey forth, into the unknown
This princess, of light and reason
This weapon, of flesh and bone"
Except this is just a poem and is not actually backed up by any real canon events or evidence.

The Chief has always risked his life to protect his friends and teammates. And he has been shown to care about all of them - from his Spartans, to Sgt. Johnson. Cortana is not special.

Spoiler:
Show

When Sam died John was still a very young man, still had many of his Spartans at his side, and was ready to fight the war he'd been trained to fight. He used Sam's death as a way to keep himself motivated to win and to protect his remaining teammates...Now fast forward to 'Halo 4' - the Chief wakes up from cryo and encounters a vengeful Forerunner General that he knows next to nothing about, Cortana is dying, he doesn't know where any of his Spartans are or if they still live, and the UNSC doesn't seem to give a lick about him anymore. At this point he's also seen more than enough death and destruction. And to top it all off, once again a friend ends up sacrificing their life to save his. However aside from that one mention about the Chief being "not fine" by Fred, we see no other change in his behavior or attitude. This is hardly the first time the Chief has taken a risk to help a teammate. See 'First Strike' for ample examples of this.

The current Cortana is crazy and obsessed with the Chief. No more, no less. And as far as Blue Team goes, Halo 5's writing for them sucked - that has been acknowledged by pretty much the entire community. If you really want to understand how strong of a bond they have with the Chief, read the books.

And no, Halopedia is not a legitimate source. Again, read the books if you want to understand the Chief's personality.

And again, Cortana lied to the Chief, openly attempted to trick and manipulate him, attacked Blue Team, and them tried to keep him prisoner when he wouldn't agree with her even though he gave her every opportunity to stop what she was doing. She's not his friend anymore. End of story. The Chief isn't a moron, and he already knew she was trying to trick him but gave her the benefit of the doubt because of thier past friendship...yet she threw it back in his face. There is no way he doesn't understand her true nature now.
My point is that the chief, though being almost inprisoned by cortana, will not give up on trying to bring her home. That through everything cortana did to the chief he will continue to try and help her because thats just how their relationship works.
What im trying to say is that even though most people believe that the chief will become hostile towards cortana after the events of halo 5, imo the chief will still care for his friend and try to bring her to her senses without having to kill/destroy her.
What im trying to say is that even though most people believe that the chief will become hostile towards cortana after the events of halo 5, imo the chief will still care for his friend and try to bring her to her senses without having to kill/destroy her.
Which would be the death of the series if they did so. Cortana has clearly shown in Halo 5 that sense doesn't matter, that John doesn't actually matter, and that she is not his friend any more. She attacked his family, she denied him his basic right of freedom because she thinks she knows better, and she betrayed him when he tried to give her a way out. She is not his friend any more. She tried to kill his real friends and has proven that she doesn't really care for him, just has a creepy obsession. The only way the series can come to a good conclusion is if he kills her, as a good man would.
I don't really understand what you're trying to say...

Chief and Cortana were friends, but after the events of 'Halo 5' - i.e. Cortana willingly murdering millions of innocent people, lying, manipulating, attempting to kill Blue Team, and then trying to keep the Chief prisoner for 10,000 years - I think it's safe to say they're not anymore.

Also this is hardly the first time the Chief has called out to someone in an effort to reach them. He's done so several times in the books, and in other things like 'Halo Legends'. This isn't some unusual behavior.

As for Cortana, whatever honest care she had for the Chief has completely evaporated into nothing but obsession and psychosis. It's not just creepy and weird at this point - it's sick, and it's borderline abusive. And I really hope future fiction addresses that.
Yeah this is very much true

Spoiler:
Show

My point is that the chief, though being almost inprisoned by cortana, will not give up on trying to bring her home. That through everything cortana did to the chief he will continue to try and help her because thats just how their relationship works.
Why would he not? He already gave her every chance to change her mind, and she refused. The game also acknowledges that the Chief will in fact fight her if she didn't stand down, and would destroy her if he had to. You say "that's how their relationship works", but what are you basing this off of besides your own sentiment? The last Blue Team level is called "The Breaking" for a reason. Cortana proved to the Chief that she is not his friend anymore, and that she is an enemy of him and all sentient life. Why on Earth would he not understand that?

Spoiler:
Show

Why would he not? He already gave her every chance to change her mind, and she refused. The game also acknowledges that the Chief will in fact fight her if she didn't stand down, and would destroy her if he had to. You say "that's how their relationship works", but what are you basing this off of besides your own sentiment? The last Blue Team level is called "The Breaking" for a reason. Cortana proved to the Chief that she is not his friend anymore, and that she is an enemy of him and all sentient life. Why on Earth would he not understand that?
when did the game acknowledge that the chief will fight her and destroy her. no more importantly when did the chief state any of this. whats to say he chief cant find another way to stop her. your also basing off your own sentiment that the end choice will be the chief killing cortana
Really, the thing to keep in mind here is that Cortana is more of a clone of Dr. Halsey. Dr. Halsey and Cortana are really the same person, but different perspectives. It makes a lot of since of how much Cortana cared for Master Chief, and Chief actually cares a lot about Cortana because they have been through a lot together.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16