Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Return of the Flood?

OP NAVY116

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
There have been a few theories circulating that the flood will come return in Halo 6. What do you guys think?
No reason to think so, thus far. We have the Created to deal with, and 343 seems to have plans for the Banished beyond HW2 as well. They could always pull a Halo CE and throw the Flood at us midway out of nowhere, but all signs point to no Flood any time soon.
If I'm right about the eternal nature of the Precursors, then the Flood's actions actually were for the purpose of manipulating events to bring humanity to the point where it can claim the Mantle. In that case, the Flood's role is essentially completed, which to me would mean they're not likely to emerge again.
it would be cool to see them come back in halo 6 I would like to see how there design would look since 343 is making halo now also if they do come back I hope there are different creatures the flood creates
but it may not happen depending on what 343 has planned
well, in some theories it could make sense but i guess the 343i wont use those theories and instead of returning the pretty gore flood to the series, i think they will just keep them away for now at least to keep the game in minimal amounts of blood (that is stupidly low even now) and gore to keep the lower rating (in production country where it matters the most) and therefore theoretically the game having wider audience (thought i think this will backfire in the future).
I want them to return so badly,after all that's what the Halos were created for
I would love, not in Halo 6, but in one of the new anthology games (like Reach, Wars, and ODST) for flood to appear.... maybe a game version of Halo Evolution's Mona Lisa?
I don't think there's really anything hinting at it, but it wouldn't be crazy if they showed up.
It would be awesome if they appeared in a sudden and unexpected twist. I would really make it great story wise for humanity to have to defeat both the flood and the created.
JNDreher wrote:
If I'm right about the eternal nature of the Precursors, then the Flood's actions actually were for the purpose of manipulating events to bring humanity to the point where it can claim the Mantle. In that case, the Flood's role is essentially completed, which to me would mean they're not likely to emerge again.
This is not entirely true. The Flood outbreak in the original trilogy was due to local outbreaks on Installation 04 and 05. The Flood hasn't come back in full force and my gut tells me right after the created arc, when humanity/rest of the universe is weak. The Flood will be the final test for the Mantle of Responsibility, and we've yet to obtain the Mantle, so by that logic you can assume they will return.
CrippleGod wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
This is not entirely true. The Flood outbreak in the original trilogy was due to local outbreaks on Installation 04 and 05. The Flood hasn't come back in full force and my gut tells me right after the created arc, when humanity/rest of the universe is weak. The Flood will be the final test for the Mantle of Responsibility, and we've yet to obtain the Mantle, so by that logic you can assume they will return.
If we're going to a Halo, and by the end cutscene of 5 it sure looks like we are, I'd say the odds on bet is that we'll see an outbreak again.
CrippleGod wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
The Flood didn't even use their full force against the Forerunners until it was time to force the final confrontation, which the Forerunners couldn't win. There would be no purpose in the Flood showing its full force now.

Think about it this way, if the test for the Mantle of Responsibility is a Physical Education Test, and humanity is the class taking it, a fair test would be seeing how fast they can run, or how many pull-ups they can do. You wouldn't have the students face off against the teacher in a fight to the death. The same goes for the Precursors' test. The Created are a difficult challenge that's actually possible to overcome, so it makes sense being a test, especially since it is a threat born of the Domain/Abaddon, which gives it ties back to the Precursors.

I don't believe the Flood will return in any significant way in the main story.
well, in some theories it could make sense but i guess the 343i wont use those theories and instead of returning the pretty gore flood to the series, i think they will just keep them away for now at least to keep the game in minimal amounts of blood (that is stupidly low even now) and gore to keep the lower rating (in production country where it matters the most) and therefore theoretically the game having wider audience (thought i think this will backfire in the future).
^^^ For business reasons just as much (if not moreso) than any other lore reasons, I'm personally not expecting to see them again anytime soon, at least not in the mainline games.

One wonders if there's room for an M rated spinoff game with them though.
I think from the "Halo as a brand" standpoint bringing back the flood could be seen as a risk avert strategy in the circle of critics. While some fans would have a "yay, the flood are back" moment I don't think the return of the flood would be a net positive for the franchise unless 343i has an amazing reason to bring them back from a narrative standpoint.

I think the direction of Halo Wars 2 is a huge tell that the Halo narrative in the games will return to a more military sci-fi form (ala Halo 1, 2, 3, 3/ODST, Reach) and have the hardcore sci-fi components from Halo 4 and 5 serve as complimentary story beats moving forward.
My personal opinion is that the flood will come back eventually
JNDreher wrote:
Humanity has not yet obtained the mantle of responsibility, since the created are claiming that they are the masters of the mantle. My theory about Halo 6 is that Cortana will purposefully release the flood in an attempt to subjugate all organic life. This would bring endless opportunities in terms of reintroducing characters to the Halo series. We could see the return of The Didact and/or 343 Guilty Spark
Sorry if this was already mentioned but for those who read the Halo Escalation comics. Near the middle of the series you are introduced to Cutter's son... Long story short. They cut to the SOF drifting towards a planet and cut to the interior where you see emergency lights flashing with evac warnings on screens. Then the last panel is a picture of a flood infection form scurrying by. The flood is not gone yet.
NAVY116 wrote:
Humanity has not yet obtained the mantle of responsibility, since the created are claiming that they are the masters of the mantle. My theory about Halo 6 is that Cortana will purposefully release the flood in an attempt to subjugate all organic life. This would bring endless opportunities in terms of reintroducing characters to the Halo series. We could see the return of The Didact and/or 343 Guilty Spark
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the didact die in the escalation comics?

Also a question for everyone, I feel like I remember reading somewhere a while ago that the Precursors devolved themselves into a powder form that eventually became the flood. Is that true or am I way off?
It IS canon that there is at least one Flood infection form currently board the UNSC Spirit of Fire. Also, the UNSC has been developing technologies to combat flood better
NAVY116 wrote:

Also a question for everyone, I feel like I remember reading somewhere a while ago that the Precursors devolved themselves into a powder form that eventually became the flood. Is that true or am I way off?
The Didact was Composed, not killed. It's a common misconception (lots of people who only play the games still have good reason to think he died at the end of Halo 4).

As for the Flood, "devolved" isn't an accurate word for it, but yes, that's essentially true. When the Forerunners attacked and nearly wiped out their race, some of the remaining Precursors underwent a sort of stasis which reduced their bodies into a powdery material. They were meant to regenerate to living forms eventually, but so much time passed that the stasis dust failed or decayed somehow, creating the tainted substance which gave rise to the Flood when introduced into living organisms (which happened after the stuff was found by ancient humanity). You might say that that powder is the "purest" Flood form, though there probably isn't any of it left in the galaxy.
LionBowman wrote:
NAVY116 wrote:

The Didact was Composed, not killed. It's a common misconception (lots of people who only play the games still have good reason to think he died at the end of Halo 4).

As for the Flood, "devolved" isn't an accurate word for it, but yes, that's essentially true. When the Forerunners attacked and nearly wiped out their race, some of the remaining Precursors underwent a sort of stasis which reduced their bodies into a powdery material. They were meant to regenerate to living forms eventually, but so much time passed that the stasis dust failed or decayed somehow, creating the tainted substance which gave rise to the Flood when introduced into living organisms (which happened after the stuff was found by ancient humanity). You might say that that powder is the "purest" Flood form, though there probably isn't any of it left in the galaxy.
What media is it that would find that story? I'm interested in learning more.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2