Return of the Flood?

OP NAVY116

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
LionBowman wrote:
NAVY116 wrote:
Humanity has not yet obtained the mantle of responsibility, since the created are claiming that they are the masters of the mantle. My theory about Halo 6 is that Cortana will purposefully release the flood in an attempt to subjugate all organic life. This would bring endless opportunities in terms of reintroducing characters to the Halo series. We could see the return of The Didact and/or 343 Guilty Spark
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the didact die in the escalation comics?

Also a question for everyone, I feel like I remember reading somewhere a while ago that the Precursors devolved themselves into a powder form that eventually became the flood. Is that true or am I way off?
The Didact was Composed, not killed. It's a common misconception (lots of people who only play the games still have good reason to think he died at the end of Halo 4).

As for the Flood, "devolved" isn't an accurate word for it, but yes, that's essentially true. When the Forerunners attacked and nearly wiped out their race, some of the remaining Precursors underwent a sort of stasis which reduced their bodies into a powdery material. They were meant to regenerate to living forms eventually, but so much time passed that the stasis dust failed or decayed somehow, creating the tainted substance which gave rise to the Flood when introduced into living organisms (which happened after the stuff was found by ancient humanity). You might say that that powder is the "purest" Flood form, though there probably isn't any of it left in the galaxy.
The Didact being Composed is a fan-theory, one I do not believe to be accurate, because we know the Didact was immune to the Composer, and there is nothing suggesting that multiple Composers firing in unison would overcome that, or even that multiple Composers even fired in that last scene. All we have is the disintegration effect used throughout Halo 4 & 5 being applied to the Didact as he's on a piece of an activated Halo, plummeting to a planet. I suspect that his piece of the Halo fired, and the Didact was simply disintegrated.

I believe that depiction of the Flood is merely the narrative the Flood propagated to enable it to complete the purpose it was created by the true incorporeal Precursors for. My understanding is that the Precursors are incorporeal, eternal gods, which is why they aren't bothered by any attempts to exterminate them, being as they're completely beyond any attempt to harm. The organic forms exterminated by the Forerunners were avatars, and some of these surviving avatars were used by the Precursors to create the Flood which would level punishment on the Forerunners, and manipulate galactic events to the Precursors' chosen outcome, which is humanity attaining the Mantle.
JNDreher wrote:
LionBowman wrote:
NAVY116 wrote:
Humanity has not yet obtained the mantle of responsibility, since the created are claiming that they are the masters of the mantle. My theory about Halo 6 is that Cortana will purposefully release the flood in an attempt to subjugate all organic life. This would bring endless opportunities in terms of reintroducing characters to the Halo series. We could see the return of The Didact and/or 343 Guilty Spark
Also a question for everyone, I feel like I remember reading somewhere a while ago that the Precursors devolved themselves into a powder form that eventually became the flood. Is that true or am I way off?
The Didact was Composed, not killed. It's a common misconception (lots of people who only play the games still have good reason to think he died at the end of Halo 4).
As for the Flood, "devolved" isn't an accurate word for it, but yes, that's essentially true. When the Forerunners attacked and nearly wiped out their race, some of the remaining Precursors underwent a sort of stasis which reduced their bodies into a powdery material. They were meant to regenerate to living forms eventually, but so much time passed that the stasis dust failed or decayed somehow, creating the tainted substance which gave rise to the Flood when introduced into living organisms (which happened after the stuff was found by ancient humanity). You might say that that powder is the "purest" Flood form, though there probably isn't any of it left in the galaxy.
The Didact being Composed is a fan-theory, one I do not believe to be accurate, because we know the Didact was immune to the Composer, and there is nothing suggesting that multiple Composers firing in unison would overcome that, or even that multiple Composers even fired in that last scene. All we have is the disintegration effect used throughout Halo 4 & 5 being applied to the Didact as he's on a piece of an activated Halo, plummeting to a planet. I suspect that his piece of the Halo fired, and the Didact was simply disintegrated.
I believe that depiction of the Flood is merely the narrative the Flood propagated to enable it to complete the purpose it was created by the true incorporeal Precursors for. My understanding is that the Precursors are incorporeal, eternal gods, which is why they aren't bothered by any attempts to exterminate them, being as they're completely beyond any attempt to harm. The organic forms exterminated by the Forerunners were avatars, and some of these surviving avatars were used by the Precursors to create the Flood which would level punishment on the Forerunners, and manipulate galactic events to the Precursors' chosen outcome, which is humanity attaining the Mantle.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/characters/didact
"Though their battle with the Didact was perilous and proved nearly fatal, the Spartans were able to band together, and with the help of 859 Static Carillion they tricked the Didact into using the Composers on himself. Effectively turned into a digital essence, the Office of Naval Intelligence currently considers the Didact “contained”, though it remains to be seen if his threat to humanity is truly at an end."

I've been having the "Flood wants humans to attain the Mantle" discussion at lot lately, so I'll just say that the idea ignores a lot and exaggerates a lot. You can read some of my more detailed thoughts on the matter in the "Flood is still out there" thread on these forums, if you like; suffice to say I see overwhelming evidence that it's not true.
LionBowman wrote:
NAVY116 wrote:

What media is it that would find that story? I'm interested in learning more.
Most of the intricacies of the Flood's history in the time of the Forerunners can be found in the Forerunner Saga trilogy: Halo: Cryptum, Halo: Primordium, and Halo: Silentium. You can look it all up on halopedia and get most of the information, but I'd definitely recommend picking up the books if you're so inclined. They're pretty wonderful sci-fi books in their own right.
LionBowman wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
LionBowman wrote:
NAVY116 wrote:
"Though their battle with the Didact was perilous and proved nearly fatal, the Spartans were able to band together, and with the help of 859 Static Carillion they tricked the Didact into using the Composers on himself. Effectively turned into a digital essence, the Office of Naval Intelligence currently considers the Didact “contained”, though it remains to be seen if his threat to humanity is truly at an end."

I've been having the "Flood wants humans to attain the Mantle" discussion at lot lately, so I'll just say that the idea ignores a lot and exaggerates a lot. You can read some of my more detailed thoughts on the matter in the "Flood is still out there" thread on these forums, if you like; suffice to say I see overwhelming evidence that it's not true.
Interesting article about the Didact, because that wasn't evident in the comic.

As for the debate on the Flood's intentions, we're having that discussion on another thread, so addressing the actual points presented instead of being generally dismissive with vague statements would be appreciated if you're going to bother commenting.
JNDreher wrote:
LionBowman wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
LionBowman wrote:
NAVY116 wrote:

Interesting article about the Didact, because that wasn't evident in the comic.

As for the debate on the Flood's intentions, we're having that discussion on another thread, so addressing the actual points presented instead of being generally dismissive with vague statements would be appreciated if you're going to bother commenting.
Haha, oops, I'm sorry, I often forget to look over at user names, I didn't realize I was talking to the same person here. I'm enjoying our discussion, though! And you're right, it wasn't at all evident in the comic. 343 doesn't seem to know how to write the Didact out of a situation without making it look like he's dead.
I do think they will eventually return, just probably not anytime soon. Halo 3 was pretty clear that we have dealt the Flood a massive blow.

I kind of think that if they do return, it would be in a spin-off maybe which could seg-way into the main series.
I hope
Honestly, if flood are contained on some Forerunner structures, who will be crazy enough to come into contact with them and risk unleashing the parasite back on the galaxy. I would think neither human, elite, or brute commanded faction will willing go near a flood containment area knowing what they are capable of if an outbreak occurs.
NAVY116 wrote:

Halo Follower did a video on how the didact might be coming back. And I think your right about the second part
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2