Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Return of the Precursors

OP Ken Static

Does anyone believe we will ever get to see the Precursors make a return? And I mean prior to them being the flood. They were literally gods capable of anything, plus it was implied (sort of) they aren't truly gone. I always wondered what they could've looked like prior to the Forerunner's war against them since the flood and primordial were said to not resemble them at all making them bad representations to the overall race. Then again they seemed like shapshifters so they could've looked like anything.
I don't think we're ever gonna see them again. I'm hoping for a book about Ancient Humanity, which could explore the Precursors more, but I'm doubtful we'd get something like that at least for a long while.

As for their physical manifestation, the Precursors could turn into whatever they wanted. They were shape-shifters, as you pointed out. They could evolve and devolve themselves at will. So there really isn't any "overall race" representation for them.
I'd really love to see more content focusing on ancient humanity as well. But I must admit, I always had this thought about the Precursors planning all this from the beginning. I mean the forerunners placed geas-imprint thing on humanity to advance later on. And it's implied the Precursors did one first to their creations, what if all of this was planned from the beginning? What if them becoming the flood was deliberate so they can feast on their creations later on. They had no taboos to good, evil and pain. They said it added to the sweetness. What if all the wars was their way of "seasoning" their meals before consuming them in their flood forms. I mean each time they returned, they made sure it was them against a space-fairing militaristic group which was likely meant to let them enjoy the sweetness and travel elsewhere to find more victims. When the forerunners activated the Halo arrays to reset all life and starve the flood, maybe the flood had this in mind to start their next meal course later on. I mean you ever notice the older precursor records get, the harder it is to dicipher like with the Domain or when Ancient Humaniry first spoke to the Primordial? Maybe that's to make sure no one found out their true intentions.
Im kind of confused in the lore here, so Precursor want to destroy humans why..?
Im kind of confused in the lore here, so Precursor want to destroy humans why..?
Nope, at least I hope not. From what is established, the Precursors wanted humans to inherit the mantle of responsibility which means protect and control the galaxy. As the flood, they supposedly wanted to test humanity to see if they lived up to the role they bestowed upon them.
The Precursors (timeless, incorporeal, godlike beings) have a belief in the Mantle, that every race has the right to the chance to attain their maximum potential.
The Precursors created a specific species to give the Mantle to, so the Precursors wouldn't have to micro-manage life in the galaxy forever.
The race the Precursors made eventually split into two. The first stayed around their homeworld, and delved into genetic manipulation and stellar engineering. They took the traits they found most admirable in other species and incorporated them into their own genetics. They also accidentally destroyed their homeworld when they made their sun go supernova. The second race descended from the Precursors chosen successors went to the far side of the galaxy, and the first faction eventually forgot about them. This second race developed as the Precursors intended them to.

The first race descended from the Precursors' chosen successors are the Forerunners.
The second race descended from the Precursors' chosen successors are the Humans.

The Precursors chose to keep their promise exclusively through the human descendants of the original race, because the Forerunners proved to be unworthy of the Mantle. However, the Precursors couldn't exterminate the Forerunners, because the Forerunners had not achieved their maximum potential yet, so the Precursors allowed the Forerunners to slaughter the Precursors' biological avatars, and allowed the Forerunners to develop until they did peak, at the end of the Forerunner/Flood war, at which time the Precursors stopped holding back, and the Flood destroyed the Greater Ark with the last remnants of Forerunner civilization on it, leaving the Lesser Ark with humanity and a variety of other races to repopulate the galaxy after the Halos fired.

My conclusion:
The Precursors aren't coming back, because their plan to establish their chosen successors is nearing completion, and the point of that was so the Precursors wouldn't have to keep intervening.

I don't expect the Flood to get loose in a major way again, not because they can't, but because the Flood ultimately serves the Precursors' goals, acting as villains to unite the galaxy when needed, and if the Flood were to be unleashed, there wouldn't be any plausible means of stopping it that wouldn't be it obviously taking the fall.
343i has said they want to go back to the more 'classic' style of campaign for Infinite, so doubtful. People already complained about Halo 4 and 5 leaning too heavily into the expanded universe side of things (and that was with lore nerds), so if they were to bring the Precursors back in a game the vast majority of the audience wouldn't know who the heck they were without devoting a significant amount of the run time to establish and explain them as a in-game faction and it would weaken the rest of the story.

Sort of like how Rise of Skywalker tried to cram two movies into one to just give us a dumpster fire of a movie.

Remember, the online portion of the fanbase is the minority, not the majority. And frankly, I'd rather 343i just sweep them under the rug regardless. I don't like anything that they've introduced, especially Greg Bear's stuff, and I feel that it overall weakened Halo as a franchise. The series was much better as military science fiction with just a hint of mystery with the Forerunners and nothing more.
complained about 5 leaning too heavily into the expanded universe side of things
I think it was less leaning too heavily into the EU and more making up a large part of the lore in a single game.

Regarding the Precursors, I highly doubt they’d make an appearance since there’d simply be no point. Why would they reveal themselves to us if they can simply throw us an occasional crumb our way instead?
JNDreher wrote:
The Precursors (timeless, incorporeal, godlike beings) have a belief in the Mantle, that every race has the right to the chance to attain their maximum potential.
The Precursors created a specific species to give the Mantle to, so the Precursors wouldn't have to micro-manage life in the galaxy forever.
The race the Precursors made eventually split into two. The first stayed around their homeworld, and delved into genetic manipulation and stellar engineering. They took the traits they found most admirable in other species and incorporated them into their own genetics. They also accidentally destroyed their homeworld when they made their sun go supernova. The second race descended from the Precursors chosen successors went to the far side of the galaxy, and the first faction eventually forgot about them. This second race developed as the Precursors intended them to.

The first race descended from the Precursors' chosen successors are the Forerunners.
The second race descended from the Precursors' chosen successors are the Humans.

The Precursors chose to keep their promise exclusively through the human descendants of the original race, because the Forerunners proved to be unworthy of the Mantle. However, the Precursors couldn't exterminate the Forerunners, because the Forerunners had not achieved their maximum potential yet, so the Precursors allowed the Forerunners to slaughter the Precursors' biological avatars, and allowed the Forerunners to develop until they did peak, at the end of the Forerunner/Flood war, at which time the Precursors stopped holding back, and the Flood destroyed the Greater Ark with the last remnants of Forerunner civilization on it, leaving the Lesser Ark with humanity and a variety of other races to repopulate the galaxy after the Halos fired.

My conclusion:
The Precursors aren't coming back, because their plan to establish their chosen successors is nearing completion, and the point of that was so the Precursors wouldn't have to keep intervening.

I don't expect the Flood to get loose in a major way again, not because they can't, but because the Flood ultimately serves the Precursors' goals, acting as villains to unite the galaxy when needed, and if the Flood were to be unleashed, there wouldn't be any plausible means of stopping it that wouldn't be it obviously taking the fall.
I agree that the Precursors in their more traditional forms are probably not going to come back. As you said, there really isn't any point to it. However I do think we will have at least another major Flood outbreak: not at the scale of what the Forerunners face of course, the galaxy wouldn't last a year. But an outbreak large enough to definitively prove that humanity and the rest of galaxy can unite against a common existential threat? Almost guaranteed.
JNDreher wrote:

My conclusion:

I agree that the Precursors in their more traditional forms are probably not going to come back. As you said, there really isn't any point to it. However I do think we will have at least another major Flood outbreak: not at the scale of what the Forerunners face of course, the galaxy wouldn't last a year. But an outbreak large enough to definitively prove that humanity and the rest of galaxy can unite against a common existential threat? Almost guaranteed.
Dope, now I understand, thanks guuuuuuuuys
JNDreher wrote:
It's possible, and I'd say likely, that the Created are the big threat to the galaxy that will ultimately serve as Humanity's final test of worthiness, especially when you consider that the beliefs espoused by Cortana in Halo 5 are a mix of things the Didact believed after his interaction with the Primordial, and things that the Gravemind told Cortana when she was its captive between the events of Halo 2 & 3 (in the short story, Human Weakness). And on top of it all, she and the other Created are being sustained by a Precursor Construct that the Forerunners called the Domain.
This is something that always gets me wondering. With the Precursors being some kind of higher dimensional beings that can evolve as any lifeform in our Universe, it’s possible. However, we know their current form in our Universe is the Flood. I doubt we’ll see them take another form in the future of the series. We'll definitely see the Flood return, hopefully en mass to the galaxy at some point. However, I’d definitely would love to learn more, as the Precursors/Flood is my face race in the Halo Universe.
JNDreher wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
It's possible, and I'd say likely, that the Created are the big threat to the galaxy that will ultimately serve as Humanity's final test of worthiness, especially when you consider that the beliefs espoused by Cortana in Halo 5 are a mix of things the Didact believed after his interaction with the Primordial, and things that the Gravemind told Cortana when she was its captive between the events of Halo 2 & 3 (in the short story, Human Weakness). And on top of it all, she and the other Created are being sustained by a Precursor Construct that the Forerunners called the Domain.
You might have something here, but we will have to wait. The Created will most certainly have their role in whatever is coming next, but I'd imagine the Flood/Precursors would want to take a more direct approach and that the Created, similar to Medicant Bias, are nothing more than a useful pawn in the grand scheme of things. Having a bunch human Smart AIs hardwire themselves to the Domain is certainly recipe for future disaster.
I suspect the originally were going to appear along with the Flood and Mendicant Bias, but I suspect there was a directional change that diverted the new games from the Reclaimer Trilogy to a safe and sterile generic shooter with little connection to the books. I don’t think the Created were part of any overarching plan and were shoehorned in when the original H5 ideas got scrapped.
I suspect the originally were going to appear along with the Flood and Mendicant Bias, but I suspect there was a directional change that diverted the new games from the Reclaimer Trilogy to a safe and sterile generic shooter with little connection to the books. I don’t think the Created were part of any overarching plan and were shoehorned in when the original H5 ideas got scrapped.
It's an interesting thought. I can't help but see major parallels between Star Wars and Halo right now. It's like the first installment set up an interesting story, the second installment tried to go its own way (and failed spectacularly), and the third is trying to make up for the shortcomings of the second.

In fact I'd take it a step further and say there was no overarching plan for Halo at all. If there was an overarching plan, we wouldn't be in this really strange place we're in right now.
New creative team=new direction, but that doesn't guarantee that the Created (or a similar concept to them) weren't ever considered before Halo 5. Remember the Assembly from Halo: Reach's data pads? I could've seen them take a similar role to the Created in the Halo series. Also, I think they would've fit the narrative that 343 wanted to present with the Created far better, but I digress.

The Flood are absolutely coming back though, whether it's in Infinite (highly likely since this is Zeta Halo, after all) or a future game. Humanity has gotta pass that final Mantle entry exam, after all.
Ken Static wrote:
Does anyone believe we will ever get to see the Precursors make a return? And I mean prior to them being the flood. They were literally gods capable of anything, plus it was implied (sort of) they aren't truly gone. I always wondered what they could've looked like prior to the Forerunner's war against them since the flood and primordial were said to not resemble them at all making them bad representations to the overall race. Then again they seemed like shapshifters so they could've looked like anything.
Most likely if they do bring them back, I hope they follow their stories from the books & keep the old textures. But interesting topic.

Just watched this:
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MCPz0k_qfE
Maybe a another theory?