Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Returning the mystery to halo

OP BroodGuitar3757

We know too much about the forerunners now for them to be mysterious but i hope we can explore ancient humanity and the precursors alot more to add that mystery element again
It would be cool to see ancient humanity's weapons make it into a halo game.
I have a feeling 343 will implementation of this. Oni found a shattered starship with a pile of relics in it that are from the ancient human empire.
I have a feeling 343 will implementation of this. Oni found a shattered starship with a pile of relics in it that are from the ancient human empire.
I thought that all that they could find was a single suit of body armor.
That would be cool.
I thought that all that they could find was a single suit of body armor.
Read halo warfleet
I agree. There was a sense of, not majesty, but grand scale, encountering these ancient yet advanced relics of the Forerunners. But with the increasing (re)ascendancy of Humanity, comes knowledge that removes the mystique. Cool, for the Lore, but it does take a small something from the gameplay perspective.
The appearance of the Forerunners in Halo 4 was one of the main things that soured me on the game; before they got actual screen time there was a sense of mystery, an unshakable feeling of living in the shadow of a much more powerful and advanced race that nobody knows much about. Humanity and The Covenant paled in comparison.
When playing through 4 my response was largely 'Huh. Humanoids which look a bit weird but act in similar ways to us. I expected more after 11 years of build-up.'

I know terminals and external media filled in a lot of blanks well before Halo 4 arrived, but you could go through an entire Halo game without them and preserve that mystery. In many cases it's much more enjoyable to speculate on the unknown than to be fed information on it, and to me the Forerunners were no different.

I would like that feeling back but I'm not sure how achievable it would be without retreading old ground which tends to result in diminishing returns.
The appearance of the Forerunners in Halo 4 was one of the main things that soured me on the game; before they got actual screen time there was a sense of mystery, an unshakable feeling of living in the shadow of a much more powerful and advanced race that nobody knows much about. Humanity and The Covenant paled in comparison.
When playing through 4 my response was largely 'Huh. Humanoids which look a bit weird but act in similar ways to us. I expected more after 11 years of build-up.'

I know terminals and external media filled in a lot of blanks well before Halo 4 arrived, but you could go through an entire Halo game without them and preserve that mystery. In many cases it's much more enjoyable to speculate on the unknown than to be fed information on it, and to me the Forerunners were no different.

I would like that feeling back but I'm not sure how achievable it would be without retreading old ground which tends to result in diminishing returns.
I agree and think the ancient humans and precersers are a poor replacement for the forunners and I completely agree with everything you said especially the the fact that it was a disappointment for lots to see the forunners and for them to also be total idiots
We know too much about the forerunners now for them to be mysterious but i hope we can explore ancient humanity and the precursors alot more to add that mystery element again
I find the premise that "we know too much about the Forerunners ..." to be interesting, because the nature of exploring a mystery, is that you eventually uncover it.

There's still a lot more to know about the Forerunners, but at this point, I'd agree that there's a lot more unknown regarding ancient humanity and that if any of their technology survives, it would be an interesting mystery to explore.
JNDreher wrote:
I find the premise that "we know too much about the Forerunners ..." to be interesting, because the nature of exploring a mystery, is that you eventually uncover it.

There's still a lot more to know about the Forerunners, but at this point, I'd agree that there's a lot more unknown regarding ancient humanity and that if any of their technology survives, it would be an interesting mystery to explore.
Wasn’t ancient humanity roughly on par with the Forerunners in technology? Didn’t they also use hardlight weapons?
StuftRock1 wrote:
JNDreher wrote:

Wasn’t ancient humanity roughly on par with the Forerunners in technology? Didn’t they also use hardlight weapons?
The weapons ancient humanity used are largely up to interpretation. There's not a lot of lore on them, and the visuals are fleeting. But yes, ancient humanity was able to stand against the Forerunners for quite a while, even though they'd had catastrophic losses trying to contain the Flood.

Something that I think would be interesting to put in the games if introduced well, is the actual relationship between humanity and the Forerunners that has some pretty strong hints in the lore. I believe that the Precursors created one race for the expressed purpose of inheriting the Mantle. That race split into two distinct civilizations when some of them left their homeworld to go to the far side of the galaxy. The ones that stayed behind accidentally destroyed their homeworld in a stellar-engineering accident, losing records of the other civilization of their species. Those who stayed behind began collecting the genetic traits they found favorable in other races, and incorporating them into their own genetics, trying to turn themselves into the ultimate race. The civilization descended from those who'd left stayed largely the same genetically. Eventually the two factions came into contact again, and they didn't recognize the other as their own race. The Precursors chose to keep their promise of passing on the Mantle to the civilization that hadn't changed its genetics outside of the Precursors' intent for them, and the other civilization flew into a homicidal rage.
If there's any question, the faction that stayed behind, destroyed their homeworld, played god with their genetics, and subjugated other races while taking what they had of value, was the Forerunners. The other faction of the same species that stayed as the Precursors designed them, were the ancient humans.
JNDreher wrote:
StuftRock1 wrote:
JNDreher wrote:

The weapons ancient humanity used are largely up to interpretation. There's not a lot of lore on them, and the visuals are fleeting. But yes, ancient humanity was able to stand against the Forerunners for quite a while, even though they'd had catastrophic losses trying to contain the Flood.

Something that I think would be interesting to put in the games if introduced well, is the actual relationship between humanity and the Forerunners that has some pretty strong hints in the lore. I believe that the Precursors created one race for the expressed purpose of inheriting the Mantle. That race split into two distinct civilizations when some of them left their homeworld to go to the far side of the galaxy. The ones that stayed behind accidentally destroyed their homeworld in a stellar-engineering accident, losing records of the other civilization of their species. Those who stayed behind began collecting the genetic traits they found favorable in other races, and incorporating them into their own genetics, trying to turn themselves into the ultimate race. The civilization descended from those who'd left stayed largely the same genetically. Eventually the two factions came into contact again, and they didn't recognize the other as their own race. The Precursors chose to keep their promise of passing on the Mantle to the civilization that hadn't changed its genetics outside of the Precursors' intent for them, and the other civilization flew into a homicidal rage.
If there's any question, the faction that stayed behind, destroyed their homeworld, played god with their genetics, and subjugated other races while taking what they had of value, was the Forerunners. The other faction of the same species that stayed as the Precursors designed them, were the ancient humans.
Source? That sounds very interesting but not something I can easily believe.
StuftRock1 wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
StuftRock1 wrote:
JNDreher wrote:

Source? That sounds very interesting but not something I can easily believe.
It's clues throughout the novels. From the Forerunner Saga, we know that the Forerunners destroyed their homeworld in a stellar engineering accident, that they incorporated admirable traits from other races into their own genetics, that they de-evolved and relocated other races when they needed to expand, so they could take the other races' homeworlds, and any technology the Forerunners wanted. We also get to see Forerunners in Path Kethona who stopped altering their genetics ten-million years ago, after they exiled themselves, who look pretty much like humans. We also know that Form Zero Forerunners look and act much more like humans than other rates of Forerunners. It is also speculated by multiple characters that there is shared heritage between Forerunners and humans. That much is canonically factual in the Halo universe. Other clues are less overt, or take on more significant meaning in context, such as the absense of a known homeworld for ancient humanity, when literally every other race has a known homeworld. The Forerunners randomly guess that humanity's homeworld is Earth, based on no evidence, which the total absence of anything human-made on that planet makes incredibly unlikely. There's also the lore that the Precursors promised the Mantle to a specific race they created, and given the other evidence, it's likely that the Precursors didn't break their promise when they gave the Mantle to humanity, because they were just choosing a subset of the original race they created.

If you're more specific regarding what aspect of the backstory I pieced together you'd like me to expand on, I can given time find page references for much of it.
Do I ever miss the old Forunners.