Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Rossbach’s World questions

OP tuhin94

Does this short story imply that Chief was to be blamed for Cortana’s ultimatum and subsequent actions? Sure sounded like that when Hood blamed himself. If that’s the case... what the hell?? If not, can someone explain what was being implied? Seems like I’m not intelligent enough to understand the author’s supposed deep writing skills here and for Halo 5.

Also, what was the actual ending? The author has said it’s not a cliffhanger and he wants us to discuss it, but there’s no actual ending.

I thought Rossbach’s World was pretty great until the things above came about.
Maybe Hood was implying that if he had ordered / forced Chief to not go AWOL then Cortana wouldn't have been as angry? Chief leaving and going after Cortana and then escaping from her seems to have driven her even further from the shopping cart lane. So if Chief hadn't been there to be captured and escape, then maybe she would have been less aggressive with her use of the Guardians????

I agree on the ending thing. It does seem to be a cliffhanger as there are two options but we don't know which one they chose. I'd assume she destroyed [the things] as she is the type of person who wouldn't weaken ONI's (and Humanity's) position in the galaxy for anything.
Maybe Hood was implying that if he had ordered / forced Chief to not go AWOL then Cortana wouldn't have been as angry? Chief leaving and going after Cortana and then escaping from her seems to have driven her even further from the shopping cart lane. So if Chief hadn't been there to be captured and escape, then maybe she would have been less aggressive with her use of the Guardians????

I agree on the ending thing. It does seem to be a cliffhanger as there are two options but we don't know which one they chose. I'd assume she destroyed [the things] as she is the type of person who wouldn't weaken ONI's (and Humanity's) position in the galaxy for anything.
That’s an interesting take on it. So rather than the story saying that Chief caused the Guardians attacks, it’s saying that Cortana is so crazy that she went into rage mode once she met up with Chief. Is that what you mean? I can see that being the reason why Hood blames himself.

Agreed with you on the ending too. At this point, Serin is the kind to steel herself and not let her emotions take over when dealing with AIs. What bugs me is that he said there’s an actual ending which wasn’t written in the story itself, but I couldn’t find anything definitive saying what he intended the ending to be.
I think Cortana would have taken the same route of actions regardless considering Warden noted this was the intended goal from the start. Hood being Human will consider otherwise but the outcome wouldn't have changed perhaps happening a few months or a year later than what we have now.
I think Cortana would have taken the same route of actions regardless considering Warden noted this was the intended goal from the start. Hood being Human will consider otherwise but the outcome wouldn't have changed perhaps happening a few months or a year later than what we have now.
Also a good point. I‘d forgotten about Warden mentioning that bit.