Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Salvaged and Scrapped ships in UNSC fleet?/HW3Idea

OP Annex Angel

Just putting this out there, since in many posts before the community has established it being unrealistic to build a ship such as the Infinity or be able to re design military weapons and uniforms, so I was thinking, would it not be an unrealistic scenario to see custom ships with different parts of different ships stuck together and hasty repairs made rather than the uniform UNSC fleet we see in Halo 4 or 5?? also a really epic idea I had, Halo Wars 3 instead of "building different bases" you could add different parts of your command and fleet ships as you advance in the game repairing and collecting parts floating in space or something.. lol 343 hire me for ideas lmao
Not sure where you're going with this? Do you mean that being in a constant state of war that it's more than likely we see pieced together ships rather than the well dressed ships we see in the games? If so, then I agree that there must be a few ships that for lack of better words are scalvage together ships capable of still fighting. I wouldn't be surprised if there are enough of them to make a small fleet to be honest with you.
or
Do you mean a game where you could update and advance your ship as the game progresses? This would mean that as you go and find parts, you'd be able to cash those parts in for better parts or fit them to your ship as you see fit. I guess that would be interesting but then gamers would spend more time upgrading their ships than actually playing the game. Could still be interesting though.
Either way, it should be interesting to see what you mean. Have a good day.
I could see the U.N.S.C. scavenging for parts in space to repair their ships since they are on the run from the banished and created. As for the idea for Halo wars 3 it might be able to work in a mission or two on campaign but it probably can't be centered around it since Halo wars is a top down land battle rts not a naval space warfare rts but it could work for another spin-off
Not sure where you're going with this? Do you mean that being in a constant state of war that it's more than likely we see pieced together ships rather than the well dressed ships we see in the games? If so, then I agree that there must be a few ships that for lack of better words are scalvage together ships capable of still fighting. I wouldn't be surprised if there are enough of them to make a small fleet to be honest with you.
or
Do you mean a game where you could update and advance your ship as the game progresses? This would mean that as you go and find parts, you'd be able to cash those parts in for better parts or fit them to your ship as you see fit. I guess that would be interesting but then gamers would spend more time upgrading their ships than actually playing the game. Could still be interesting though.
Either way, it should be interesting to see what you mean. Have a good day.
yes on the frist point, second point on the game idea, is more not upgradeing pieces you have, but finding new uniqe pieces to add to your own ship such as a type of cannon or another hanger bay and you have like a 3D blueprint of the ship where you can add new pieces on the ship or something lol
Hard to salvage parts when every time they lose a battle to the Covenant, the Covenant hang around to glass a planet and then that system is more or becomes enemy territory. Arcadia is a rare example of the Covenant NOT fully glassing a planet, and the Gettysburg at Reach was a fluke.

Resources would be better spent focusing on trying to build new ships and materials, not wasting lives and time trying to go in and salvage stuff that is probably so destroyed it can never be repurposed again. I mean you're looking at high-gee close combat where metal is constantly under pressure, against an enemy whose primary ship to ship weaponry MELTS hull armor, or slices through multiple decks at a time. It is all under high strain and what isn't being melted or blasted apart will most likely lost it's structural integrity from tumbling around in space, through debris fields, and since the UNSC likes to fight with their backs against planets, subject to the gravitational forces pulling against their momentum and the eventual de-orbiting into the atmosphere and burning up from a uncontrolled descent.

It's not worth it to the UNSC to try recovering lost ships.

Now Insurrectionist elements, however, might just be stupid or desperate enough to make a run at some of the lesser damaged ships, whatever few would left after a battle. They could maybe salvage a little bit of stuff assuming they got there immediately after the Covenant finished glassing a planet and before the ships began to fall to earth.

But yeah, not really something they do.
Hard to salvage parts when every time they lose a battle to the Covenant, the Covenant hang around to glass a planet and then that system is more or becomes enemy territory. Arcadia is a rare example of the Covenant NOT fully glassing a planet, and the Gettysburg at Reach was a fluke.

Resources would be better spent focusing on trying to build new ships and materials, not wasting lives and time trying to go in and salvage stuff that is probably so destroyed it can never be repurposed again. I mean you're looking at high-gee close combat where metal is constantly under pressure, against an enemy whose primary ship to ship weaponry MELTS hull armor, or slices through multiple decks at a time. It is all under high strain and what isn't being melted or blasted apart will most likely lost it's structural integrity from tumbling around in space, through debris fields, and since the UNSC likes to fight with their backs against planets, subject to the gravitational forces pulling against their momentum and the eventual de-orbiting into the atmosphere and burning up from a uncontrolled descent.

It's not worth it to the UNSC to try recovering lost ships.

Now Insurrectionist elements, however, might just be stupid or desperate enough to make a run at some of the lesser damaged ships, whatever few would left after a battle. They could maybe salvage a little bit of stuff assuming they got there immediately after the Covenant finished glassing a planet and before the ships began to fall to earth.

But yeah, not really something they do.
Okay you're right, lets open end my statement a bit. First off where are they going to get money to build new ships? I was going for a cash free option. What if instead of "Salvaging" ship pieces, they collected them and recycled the metal and wires, being able to reforge "battle-hardend" parts and equipment, melting down old metal to make new parts... kind of like the Mandalorian style where he melts credits to make his new armor. parts of the ships could even be covenant from different ships there able to take down, and gaining new technology by "reverse engineering" different things they can save from the battle!
You're still missing the part where it's too expensive and risky for the UNSC to try getting to the wrecked ships and begin any sort of salvage or recovery operation. There's simply no way for them to do any of the things you want them to do.

Besides, it also sounds more like you want to talk about your game idea rather than address this from a lore perspective, to which I say you're posting in the wrong forum.
You're still missing the part where it's too expensive and risky for the UNSC to try getting to the wrecked ships and begin any sort of salvage or recovery operation. There's simply no way for them to do any of the things you want them to do.

Besides, it also sounds more like you want to talk about your game idea rather than address this from a lore perspective, to which I say you're posting in the wrong forum.
I do not, the idea isn't even "mine" as the banished literally had a salvage operation on the ark. I would though like to talk about how is it possible that salvaging ships and reusing there parts is more expensive than building new ships?? If we take a lore perspective ngl I'm pretty sure the Infinity has something capable of doing what I'm talking about as it seems to have everything lol.
"Pretty sure" does not equate to hard facts.

And the Banished are a major faction that has been operating with relative impunity for decades, with weapons and technology on PAR with the primary enemy they were fighting. They are NOT the UNSC, which was hilariously outgunned and outmatched in almost every way.

And again, you are missing the fact that the UNSC could NOT risk the manpower needed to go out and salvage ships that were effectively in enemy territory for a handful of usable parts. You're glossing over everything that they could NOT do in an attempt to prove your argument correct, and basing it entirely on a 'pretty sure'. The Infinity 'has every' because it was built as a weaponized colony ship. That's the lore. It was designed to evacuate the leadership of the UNSC and UEG and go fleeing across the galaxy and abandon Earth and the majority of the remaining Human population to death. But then Regret found Earth and kicked things off years before the Infinity and it's sister ship was ready.

Go read Halopedia and brush up on your lore. Not only are you filling the forum with a bunch of question threads that you can answer on your own with a little bit of reading, but you're showing that you don't really know the lore beyond the bare minimum provided in the games.
"Pretty sure" does not equate to hard facts.

And the Banished are a major faction that has been operating with relative impunity for decades, with weapons and technology on PAR with the primary enemy they were fighting. They are NOT the UNSC, which was hilariously outgunned and outmatched in almost every way.

And again, you are missing the fact that the UNSC could NOT risk the manpower needed to go out and salvage ships that were effectively in enemy territory for a handful of usable parts. You're glossing over everything that they could NOT do in an attempt to prove your argument correct, and basing it entirely on a 'pretty sure'. The Infinity 'has every' because it was built as a weaponized colony ship. That's the lore. It was designed to evacuate the leadership of the UNSC and UEG and go fleeing across the galaxy and abandon Earth and the majority of the remaining Human population to death. But then Regret found Earth and kicked things off years before the Infinity and it's sister ship was ready.

Go read Halopedia and brush up on your lore. Not only are you filling the forum with a bunch of question threads that you can answer on your own with a little bit of reading, but you're showing that you don't really know the lore beyond the bare minimum provided in the games.
Dude, you do not have to get defensive about this. I just would rather have interesting conversations with the community about different things in the Halo universe than just looking them up (which a lot of them I do). I ask the questions in threads if I think there is a good conversation that can come out of it... plus a lot of the threads I write aren't even things that are "lore based questions" such as the Idea that adding a flickering ammo count in game when a player is hit by an EMP charge would be a cool detail, Which only happened because I made a thread talking about what the lore reason behind energy coils were(which for the record there is nothing about in halopedia). Idk if your mad at me for some reason, but you don't have to respond to my posts? A lot of people don't have time (or know where to begin) when looking for questions to different Halo related things, I don't claim to be any Halo Lore genius but I do actually have a very extensive understanding/knowledge of extended lore but incase you didn't realize your a way higher forum rank meaning you just know more stuff off the top of you head, Its been a few years since I've read the books or really known the lore. If you have anything else not pretaining to the topic you would like to discuss please feel free to send me a DM.
Im not entirly sure but Ive heard the UNSC does salvage actions in the debris field above the pole of Tribute. But not completly sure about it.
Im not entirly sure but Ive heard the UNSC does salvage actions in the debris field above the pole of Tribute. But not completly sure about it.
Wait, so is "The Pole of Tribute" a ship? or is that some sort of page I can go see?
Wait, so is "The Pole of Tribute" a ship? or is that some sort of page I can go see?
Its a place. Its the polar region above the planet Tribute.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.