Sangheili Dictionary

OP Daddy Admirals

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
This is a project I've been thinking of starting for awhile. I've wanted to try and learn as many words in Sangheili as possible. I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

Quote:
Q. Where can you find examples of their language?
A. There are a varitey of sources that provide examples of their language with translations. Campaign, Spartan Ops cutscenes, Spartan Ops Gameplay, and the Jul 'Mdama Terminal.
Quote:
Q. How do we know they use a grammar structure similar to our own?
A. The voice actor for Jul 'Mdama himself confirmed that Sangheili is heavily based off of Japanese.
Quote:
Q. What if I'm unsure if I'm translating correctly?
A. Post your findings in this thread and provide your source material so a group effort can be made.
The Sangheili Dictionary
By Onyx81, 343i.Org, Halo Archive, and Halo Waypoint

A.
A'ul - Noun - Lump of wool.
Arum - Noun - A cultural puzzle meant to teach Sangheili youth patience and determination.

B.

C.

D.
Didact - Noun - The Ur-Didact.
Domo Incanon - Noun - Human
Domo - Noun - Human. shortened.

E.

F.

G.
Garei - Noun - You.

H.
Heiro - Noun - Hand.
Hesduros - Noun - A conservative Elite colony.

I.
Incanon - Noun - Human. shortened.
Intoyuko - Noun - Brother, comrade, compatriate.

J.
Jiralhanae - Noun - Brute.
Jir'a'ul - Noun - Play on words to insult Jiralhanae. derogatory.

K.
Kaidon - Noun - Clan leader. title.
Kig-Yar - Noun - Jackal.
Kooei - Verb - Bring.

L.
Lekgolo - Noun - A single Hunter eel.

M.
Mgalekgolo - Noun - Hunter colony formation.

N.
Nishum - Noun - Intestinal parasite. often used in a derogitory manner towards Humans.

O.
Ooyama - Adverb - Faster.

P.

Q.

R.
Rakooeium - Noun - Requiem.
Rooek - Noun - Ours. possessive.
Roke'e - Verb - Rise.
Roonaoodo - Noun - Progress

S.
Sangheili - Noun - Elite
Sanghelios - Noun - Elite homeworld.
San 'Shyuum - Noun - Prophet.

T.

U.
Uchanse - Noun - Shipmaster. title.
Unggoy - Noun - Grunt.

V.

W.
Wort - Verb - Go.

X.

Y.
Yanme'e - Noun - Drone.

Z.
Quote:
W.
Wort- universal word for anything
Oh, gosh.... How could I forget that!
Blarg maybe?
Wort go. I think some of them have different spellings.
Mor- adjectival descriptor meaning 'strong' or 'swift'
Source: Halo Encyclopedia page 125, Sangheili naming convention

Also, as far as we know the Sangheili language is the lingua franca for the Covenant, so it is possible that the covenant names for each species (such as Kig-Yar or Jiralhannae)so maybe they could be added as well (not 100% sure though).
https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst128404_Finding-out-the-Elite-Language.aspx
Not sure where you will read this first Onyx but here anyway.
Feel free to transfer data over. Not like that project of mine survived. ^^
It = Ni

Assuming that the noun goes before the adjective, then

Loyal = Yoko

Friend = Entu
CIA391 Sangheili lesson

Titles and how they are used.

The two words we will learn is Kaidon and Uchans and how we use them
Kaidon and Uchans are both titles used to show a Sangheilis place in its society
Kaidon means Clan Leader
Uchans means shipmaster

Now how would we use the titles in conversation in Sangheili one may ask.
Lets use an Example using real Halo Lore
Orna 'Fulsamee was the Shipmaster of the Truth and Reconciliation.
Thel 'Vadam was the Kaidon of the State of Vadam

Now one would assume we would just go ahead and say
Kaidon Thel 'Vadam or Uchans Orna 'Fuulsamee
But that is wrong. You first dont mention the Sangheilis first name.
Second you would put the last name first and title second.

So to say Thel 'Vadam was a Clan Leader you say
'Vadam Kaidon

And to say Orna 'Fulsamee was a shipmaster you say
'Fulsamee Uchans

CIA391's lesson is over
a'ul -noun-a lump of wood

Often ported with 'Jiralhanae' to give the word 'Jir'a'ul', a derogatory name for the Brutes.

Source: Halo: The Thursday War, page 24
Quote:
Blarg maybe?
Nope, they've never said that in any of the games, and I hope they don't.
* In Episode 5 of Spartan Ops Gek refers to Jul as " 'Mdama Oochoka ", subtitled "Shipmaster 'Mdama".

* He then says "Incanon rook aneenee", which translates into "The humans have their prize. They are near escape." Since "rook" is similar to "rooek", the word you listed as "ours-possessive", I think it's a variant meaning "their". How "have" and "prize" fits in is beyond my mediocre lingual knowledge; same for the rest. I imagine there's some grammatical rule here I'm either missing or that doesn't apply in English.

* Jul then says "Goboo soonday" (I think), translated "Let them". ("Soeeday", or something similar, is later used in a sentence containing "we"; possibly related)

Quote:
Quote:
Blarg maybe?
Nope, they've never said that in any of the games, and I hope they don't.
They did in Reach. It was one of their death sounds; I think it was exclusive to splatter kills, but not sure.
it would help if you put the Pronounciation of each word

also, it would help if you italicized the Part of speech, to make the definition easier to read
I had fun the last time this was done, so let's get going again!

Spartan Ops Episode 3

Gek: Faster! Move as if the Didact himself were watching!
Sounds like: Ooyama! Target eedow oumalei!
Analysis: Ooyaka, which can be heard a few times in the cutscene, is basically "faster", possibly other similar terms. It seems like the word "Didact" is implied, and that a more literal translation may be "Move as though He were watching".

Gek: Jul 'Mdama! I did not expect the Didact's hand so soon.
Sounds like: Jul 'Mdama! Mero Didact, ti shi wa takero wash rikos.
Analysis: "Mero Didact", literally "Didact's hand". It seems that, in Sangheili, the subject of a sentence is mention first. "Shi wa" could mean "I" and/or "me". This would make the literal translation "Hand of Didact, I was not expecting you so soon"

Jul: Infinity's arrival has advanced my schedule. Rise, Gek
Sounds like: Infinity ku chatu ra ku shi wa. Gek, rooke'e.
Analysis:Again we hear "shi wa", which seems to mean "my" in this instance. This also seems to show that if a sentence has a secondary subject, said subject is said at the end of a sentence. This is supported by later dialogue.

Gek: We are still preparing, Shipmaster - we still have yet to activate the shrine.
Sounds like: In cha mada, ou ta shi wo.
Analysis: This is hard to make out anything. Both translations are really long, and both sound like single words in Sangheili. "Shi wo" is heard, and perhaps that is "we", assuming "shi wa" is I. It could also be that "wa" is "I/me/my", and "wo" is "we." It would also seem to that the english tranlations are far from literal.

Jul: You are prepared now brother. Bring the Artifact's gift
Sounds like: Unjurrou zo da kine'e eegai. Artifact dida kooei.
Analysis: I would guess that "Artifact dida" is probably "Artifact's gift", meaning "kooei" is "bring". The rest is hard to guess at.

Jul: He offers his knowledge in exchange for his life.
Sounds like: Ouka shi chi chino irook kai'i
Analysis: Perhaps "ouka" means "he", and perhaps "kai'i" is life?

Jul: I am willing to accept his offer...for a time.
Sounds like: Darii isou mou ma oomda.
Analysis:Just supports the idea that the english translations are not literal.

Just for the hell of it, I'll end with the only time we see Sangheili spelled out with enlish characters, Spartan Ops Ep. 9 Mission 1:

Quote:
Dieduckt gahkaboono Liebuh-Rahrian musuyano. Kahboonzaywahb whochita kneekohsoh wooruhmatwo
Rough translation: "A call to arms. 'Mdama wants everyone to meet at Librarian's Rest".

Analysis: "Dieduckt", meaning Didact, must refer to 'Mdama. I would guess that "Liebuh-Rahrian musuyano" is "Librarian's Rest". Beyond that, hard to say.
Well this has gotten more interesting.
In Episode 6's cutscene, Jul says "Be-do-do! Be-do!", which means "After him! After him!".

Anyways, love this topic. Will definitely watch it evolve from time to time.
Quote:
Analysis: "Mero Didact", literally "Didact's hand". It seems that, in Sangheili, the subject of a sentence is mention first. "Shi wa" could mean "I" and/or "me". This would make the literal translation "Hand of Didact, I was not expecting you so soon"
Sure it was "mero"? I heard "bero".

Quote:
Dieduckt gahkaboono Liebuh-Rahrian musuyano. Kahboonzaywahb whochita kneekohsoh wooruhmatwo

Rough translation: "A call to arms. 'Mdama wants everyone to meet at Librarian's Rest".

Analysis: "Dieduckt", meaning Didact, must refer to 'Mdama. I would guess that "Liebuh-Rahrian musuyano" is "Librarian's Rest". Beyond that, hard to say.
If the structure of "Bero/mero Didact" is indicative (Probably literally "Hand of the Didact"), "Librarian's Rest" could be "gahkaboono Liebuh-Rahrian", "Rest of the Librarian".
Shuweemu- Look out, Oh Sh**, and Move. I heard Unngoy and Sangheili say that a lot during Reachs Firefight when ever I chucked a grenade at them or snuck up on them.
Oh, gosh, I'm going to need to do some reading. I greatly appreciate all the help.
Quote:
Gek: Faster! Move as if the Didact himself were watching!
Sounds like: Ooyama! Target eedow oumalei!
Analysis: Ooyaka, which can be heard a few times in the cutscene, is basically "faster", possibly other similar terms. It seems like the word "Didact" is implied, and that a more literal translation may be "Move as though He were watching".
I'm noticing a theme with "He" and "Ou"

Quote:
Let's not forget it's difficult for Sangheili to make noises that involve pressing the mandibles or lips together. I heard it as Heiro. We unfortunately can't be for sure since we don't see his mandibles when he says "Didact's Hand."

Quote:
Jul: Infinity's arrival has advanced my schedule. Rise, Gek
Sounds like: Infinity ku chatu ra ku shi wa. Gek, rooke'e.
Analysis:Again we hear "shi wa", which seems to mean "my" in this instance. This also seems to show that if a sentence has a secondary subject, said subject is said at the end of a sentence. This is supported by later dialogue.
Could "ku" possibly be a possesive word? The Chinese use "de" or ”的“ to signify possesion. Also, I'm getting a direct translation of something like, "Infinity's Arrival has advanced me."

Quote:
Gek: We are still preparing, Shipmaster - we still have yet to activate the shrine.
Sounds like: In cha mada, ou ta shi wo.
Analysis: This is hard to make out anything. Both translations are really long, and both sound like single words in Sangheili. "Shi wo" is heard, and perhaps that is "we", assuming "shi wa" is I. It could also be that "wa" is "I/me/my", and "wo" is "we." It would also seem to that the english tranlations are far from literal.
For such a long english translation I expect the direct translation of this, if we ever figure it out, to have little understanding in english.

Quote:
Jul: You are prepared now brother. Bring the Artifact's gift
Sounds like: Unjurrou zo da kine'e eegai. Artifact dida kooei.
Analysis: I would guess that "Artifact dida" is probably "Artifact's gift", meaning "kooei" is "bring". The rest is hard to guess at.
Could it possibly mean retrieve, or present? Because if "dida" is "gift", the direct translation would be Artifact gift bring. Or Artifact gift retrieve/present

Quote:
Jul: He offers his knowledge in exchange for his life.
Sounds like: Ouka shi chi chino irook kai'i
Analysis: Perhaps "ouka" means "he", and perhaps "kai'i" is life?
We've got another use of "he" with ou in the word.

Could "shi chi" be "his"?

"chino" could be "knowledge", and "irook" could be exchange then.

Quote:
Jul: I am willing to accept his offer...for a time.
Sounds like: Darii isou mou ma oomda.
Analysis:Just supports the idea that the english translations are not literal.
Definitely. And I can tell you, if this follows Japanese Grammer structure, we're going to have a really hard time translating entire sentences.

Quote:
Just for the hell of it, I'll end with the only time we see Sangheili spelled out with enlish characters, Spartan Ops Ep. 9 Mission 1:

It almost looks like that is what the VA's had to read to sound like a native Sangheili.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6