Forums / Community / Halo Universe

searching halo novel

OP Pitchou8442

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I'm searching for a good halo novel to read to learn more about the lore of halo, and since there are a lot of them I wanted to ask if you had some good ones in mind. Thanks!
I'm searching for a good halo novel to read to learn more about the lore of halo, and since there are a lot of them I wanted to ask if you had some good ones in mind. Thanks!
Man this is a tough on and this is coming from a guy who owns all the novels up to date. It really depends on what your looking for and maybe others can help me out on this but the newest one "Halo: Silent Storm" would be a good starting point in my opinion. It's mainly about when the Master Cheif was a Petty Officer and not who he is today and he is tasked with stopping a Covenant/Issurrectionist alliance, saying anymore would spoil it and I am going of a bit on what the back says because it does it justice of not giving anymore info. It has a return of a certain someone as well which if you played the other games you might know who it is. I really like it because it shows the Master Cheif in a different lime light and how he became to be who he is today and this is only a story but I think Troy Denning did a good job here. But I am glad you are interested in reading the books. People who share the same love for them as I would be happy to help.
It's a tad pricey and not exactly a novel. But the Halo Encyclopedia would be a good source of a lot of basic lore knowledge.
It's a tad pricey and not exactly a novel. But the Halo Encyclopedia would be a good source of a lot of basic lore knowledge.
I would recommend mythos instead as that has all lore that was released up to HW2.
smasher555 wrote:
I would recommend mythos instead as that has all lore that was released up to HW2.
Agreed. Encyclopedia had a lot of issues because the info was pulled from incomplete data, or something like that. Mythos would also give you a taste of a few other books so you can see which stories interest you most.

As far as traditional novels go, get the Nylund Trilogy to start. It's where it all began. If you find some inconsistencies between the Reach game and the Fall of Reach book, there are a variety of Youtube videos that go a long way to reconciling the two story lines.
Eric nylund trilogy.....fall of reach,first strike and ghosts of onyx
While the nylund trilogy of books is great and a very nice part of Halo lore, when considering the han covenant war era I would actually recommend reading Contact Harvest, Silent Storm, and Cole Protocol to get a better understanding of the early war and to help frame events later in the series.
Definitely recommend Halo: The Fall of Reach, Halo: Silent Storm, Halo: First Strike, or Halo: Ghosts of Onyx.
The Fall of Reach is a great start, but I would echo what’s been said here and say the Eric Nylund trilogy plus Contact Harvest by the legendary Joseph Staten is the bread and butter of old school Halo lore.
smasher555 wrote:
While the nylund trilogy of books is great and a very nice part of Halo lore, when considering the han covenant war era I would actually recommend reading Contact Harvest, Silent Storm, and Cole Protocol to get a better understanding of the early war and to help frame events later in the series.
Silent storm breaks previous canon too much
smasher555 wrote:
No it really doesn't, all it changes is that reach was not the first time MC and Johnson met.
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
No it really doesn't, all it changes is that reach was not the first time MC and Johnson met.
He knows John's name,they know Johnson was a spartan 1 which is why he was immune to the flood yet in first strike they go with the fake boren syndrome excuse.And a Few other things
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
He knows John's name,they know Johnson was a spartan 1 which is why he was immune to the flood yet in first strike they go with the fake boren syndrome excuse.And a Few other things
No. John never learned that Johnson was part of project Orion, and for Halsey it could be she didn't want that information influencing John's choice in first strike. Like I said these things are not major and are extremely nit picky in nature.
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
No. John never learned that Johnson was part of project Orion, and for Halsey it could be she didn't want that information influencing John's choice in first strike. Like I said these things are not major and are extremely nit picky in nature.
If I remember correctly that insurrectionist guy tells halsey and chief that Johnson was an spartan and if not, Johnson tells chief himself.If it was one or two things I would agree with you,but there are many things in silent storm and 343 era novels that contradict previous lore
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
If I remember correctly that insurrectionist guy tells halsey and chief that Johnson was an spartan and if not, Johnson tells chief himself.If it was one or two things I would agree with you,but there are many things in silent storm and 343 era novels that contradict previous lore
No. The only time ORION is mentioned is when Johnson, Cole, stanforth, and Halsey are talking in private. Outside of that Johnson is only referred to as part of special operations. John never learns the truth of Johnson. Not to mention Bungie is the king of internal contradictions, hell they kept changing the amount of colonies humanity had throughout their run of Halo.
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
No. The only time ORION is mentioned is when Johnson, Cole, stanforth, and Halsey are talking in private. Outside of that Johnson is only referred to as part of special operations. John never learns the truth of Johnson. Not to mention Bungie is the king of internal contradictions, hell they kept changing the amount of colonies humanity had throughout their run of Halo.
How many planets humanity colonized wasnt really that important compared to a characters backstory that has already been written about
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
How many planets humanity colonized wasnt really that important compared to a characters backstory that has already been written about
I would disagree as it makes the entire premise of a 30 odd year war absolutely insane if humanity only had around 15 planets, which btw is a number bungie put out there. That was just an example, look at Halo Reach I love the game but it completely destroyed the lore around reach and forced 343 to clean up a mess they shouldn't have had to. Besides the original books are closing in on 20 years old lore, retcons happen and 343 has been keeping them pretty small.
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
I would disagree as it makes the entire premise of a 30 odd year war absolutely insane if humanity only had around 15 planets, which btw is a number bungie put out there. That was just an example, look at Halo Reach I love the game but it completely destroyed the lore around reach and forced 343 to clean up a mess they shouldn't have had to. Besides the original books are closing in on 20 years old lore, retcons happen and 343 has been keeping them pretty small.
Fall of reach animated series completely retcons the Spartans first encounter with the covenant. The ship was only supposed to have the avian type of jackals on it and in the animated movie they're elites grunts and jackals all halo 4 and 5 design
Fall of Reach is still far and away the best entry point into the universe.
Start from the beginning!
1. Fall of Reach (EPIC)
2. The Flood (Awesome)
3. First Strike
4. Ghosts of Onyx
5. Contact Harvest (I just started this one)
6. Cryptum
7. Primodium
8. Silentium
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2