Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Silent Shadows or ODST

OP Geffen M SIV

Each faction has a specialize group for recon, intel gathering, and just flat out frontal assult. The Covenant Silent Shadows equipped with the Blood Blade sword an unknown harness and the high belief of the Sacred Path the Silent Shadows are a threat to avoid. From Halo: Silent Storm (2019) the Blood Star faction had Jackels and Brutes (one being Castro) to assult forces and at one point nearly getting John-117 throat sliced. In Halo: Evolutions' Headhunter (2009) a group of these warriors set up an ambuse resulting the death of two Head Hunters (along with everything). Surviving The Great Schism, Halo Tales from Slipspaces' Hunting Party (2016) Was a story of a small groups caimpaign to kill off as many as individual brute faction as possible until convinced to join The Banished. ODSTs. UNSCs' finnest marines ready to go feet first into hell. One of the more notable groups The 105th Divison has three smaller battallion better known as 2nd, 7th, and 19th Battallion. Both going threw intense training described in Halo: Evolutions' Dirt of crawling endlessly while shots from a M6 magnum climbing a steep mountain being fired at to pick up the pace to even operating a drop pod more commonly known as a "Coffin". These marines are skilled to the point to do multiple "inked out" mission. From taking out a minor prophet in Halo Legends (2008) to "kicking the enemy while theyre down" from Halo Glassland (2011) these men and women are willing to play dirty to win the fight. On a even playing field with a team of four who would have the upper hand? Considering the ODSTs HUD and the Sanghelis camo.
Silent Shadow would wipe the floor with ODSTs. With active camo, I would say that just one Silent Shadow elite could take four ODSTs in most cases.
Silent Shadow would wipe the floor with ODSTs. With active camo, I would say that just one Silent Shadow elite could take four ODSTs in most cases.
That's the ticket.

A better match up would be an equal sized team of SIII Head hunters.
That's the ticket.

With SPI or Mjolnir? Because I really don't fancy their chances with the former.
That's the ticket.

With SPI or Mjolnir? Because I really don't fancy their chances with the former.
Well SPI armor can have limited active camo, so I imagine it could potentially be a better choice for a 4v4 fight against a cloaked enemy. Regardless, I agree that it would be better to compare Spartans to an Elite spec ops unit. They're generally considered equals on the battlefield while the average human has significant disadvantages when facing an Elite. No matter how much training an ODST gets, they don't have shields and they don't have the size, speed, and strength to match an Elite in combat.
The ODSTs have no chance against the silent shadows the only UNSC navy soldiers who would have a chance are the Spartans
I would wager that a single Silent Shadow, even without any ranged weapons (maybe with just Energy Daggers in his wrists), would utterly roflstomp any squad of ODSTs (assuming that a squad consists of five-to-seven people- if we're using Alpha-Nine's numbers as the standard). In a pure fist-fight, the Shadow would be snapping necks and tearing out spinal cords like a Predator-on-steroids. Barring knives, the ODSTs have no reliable way of downing the Shadow's Energy Shields, and the only way they'd win is if they all dog-piled the saurian at the outset, which a Shadow would not fall for.

If the ODSTs had a standard loud-out of ranged weapons, and the Shadow didn't, it would essentially depend on exactly how effective a Shadow's Energy Shields are. If we high-ball their shield-strength, then it's likely that the Shadow could knockout (or, at least, disarm) a decent portion of the troopers before having to retreat and regroup in Active Camouflage. It would essentially turn into an Evolve situation (the asymmetric monster-hunting game, from 2k Games), where the Shadow's success would depend on his ability to evade being caught in the open, and the ability to catch the troopers off-balanced and unfocused, which I'm willing to bet wouldn't exactly be Herculean feat for a Shadow.

If the troopers know that they should be on-guard, their use of VISR would force the Shadow to use the surrounding environment to hide, and turn it into a traditional game of cat-and-many-well-armed-mice. If the troopers are being caught unaware by the Shadow, at the outset, it wouldn't be crazy to think that the Shadow could neutralize at least half the squad before they realize anything's happening, at which point, the Shadow could take the survivors down in any way he pleased, at his leisure.
Reminder: Thel 'Vadam, in outdated and blatantly obsolete armor, could knockout a Spartan-I and a navy captain, without any ranged weapons of his own, in a little over a minute.

If the Shadow and the troopers both have ranged weapons, the Silent Shadow would still have a 70% chance of winning, but it would vary depending on what exactly a standard loud-out for a Shadow is. At the very least, we know that the Shadows all carry Energy Swords, which... would boost his chances of success by at least 20%. So... the question isn't whether the Shadow wins, the question is how quickly he wins and how brutally he does it.

A squad of ODSTs versus two or more Shadows? Even more bleak for the troopers.

Conclusion: the troopers would need "power-weapons" and some informational preparedness to have even 60% of victory.
That's the ticket.

Hmmm, Mjolnir would be the more solid choice for sure but I wouldn't count SPI out (although thinking back the Head Hunters from the short story had modified SPI not your bog standard version)...lets go with Mjolnir.
That's the ticket.

Hmmm, Mjolnir would be the more solid choice for sure but I wouldn't count SPI out (although thinking back the Head Hunters from the short story had modified SPI not your bog standard version)...lets go with Mjolnir.
Honestly the only way the Headhunters win with SPI is if they fully utilize stealth and get most/all of the Silent Shadow in a first strike ambush. If that fails the SIIIs are seriously disadvantaged in a standard firefight. Really don't want to see more Spartans getting bisected 😔
Like with all versus fights, it depends entirely on the situation. If the Silent Shadows manage to sneak up on the ODSTs then it's game over for the humans. But if the ODSTs are equipped with sniper rifles and manages to spot the Silent Shadows at long range with thermal scopes, then it's game over for the elites. It's impossible to speculate on the outcome without knowing all of the parameters for the fight.
I am more of a fan of ODSTs, but I can't deny that Silent Shadow would obliterate them.
considering even a Minor would be quite the challenge for most ODSTs, the Silent Shadows would easily take the cake
The ODSTs don't stand a chance.
4v4 the Shadows are the odds favorite due to shear technological advantage. That being said a larger unit of ODSTs, I believe, could be victorious over a Shadow unit. ODSTs are trained to adapt and problem solve and have enough technology to overcome a small Shadow unit. There would be casualties, but it is possible for the ODSTs to defeat the Shadows. To paraphrase Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann from Full Metal Jeacket, “never underestimate ‘what a motivated Marine and his rifle can do!’”
Silent Shadows