Forums / Community / Halo Universe

So Who Would Really Win? Arby or the Chief?

OP Goju Knight

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
So we know that for gameplay purposes and in general the two of them are supposed to be equal.
That said they are very different and each have their own strengths. If they ever had to have a battle, who do you think would win?

Master Chief - Spartan John 117 vs The Arbiter Thel Vadum

I will analize a bunch of points and give each 1 point for a category win and .5 points for a category tie.

Armor Quality
In Halo Wars the arbiter armor is shown to stop M6 caliber pistol shots
In the books Spartan armor is shown to stop rounds that are something like .303? I can't really remember.
I think their protection is about equal, but because John's armor provides full, including full facial coverage, I give him the advantage. How does the Arbiter even have a HUD or an aiming reticule, he doesn't have a visor or eye piece...
Advantage - Master Chief

Strength
In the books John is shown to be as strong as an average elite. That said the Arbiter is basically the strongest elite around. Without further evidence I would have to assume that the Arbiter has more physical strength.
Advantage - Arbiter

Speed
In the books and in the comic books the augmentations make the Spartans incredibly fast, able to run 60+km/h. The elites are never seen to have anywhere near that speed, and while Thel may have some of the best Elite speed we do not know how fast Elites can naturally run other than what we see in the game (which is much below 60km/h)
Advantage - Master Chief

Reflexes
In the books and comics Spartan reflexes have been shown a lot. Master Chief in particular has been shown to dodge some bullets and swerve through spiker shots. Elites are not known to have naturally faster reflexes than any other species, and the Arbiter does not have any known enhancements that would up his reaction time.
Advantage - Master Chief

Fighting Skill
Master Chief has shown he has a decent knowledge of close quarters combat and excellent knowledge of fighting with all types of firearms including covenant weapons. The Arbiter is also an expert at fighting with firearms but unlike the Chief he is an expert at close quarter with a sword. We can see how a sword duel between John and Thel would have went in "The Package" as the elite in the duel with John was originally meant to be the Arbiter, but it had to be changed due to canon concerns.
Advantage - Arbiter

Armor Abilities
Thel has invisibility worked into his armor, and his invisibility lets him stay invisible for a short period of time, whether he is running, walking, or hiding. Master Chief can now patch armor abilities like invisibility into his armor, but his invisibility does not work as well, it only functions fully if Master Chief moves slowly. While Master Chief can use a variety of other armor abilities, none that he could use would beat the tactical effectiveness of The Arbiters active camo.
Advantage - Arbiter

Equipment
The Arbiter has never been known to use deployable equipment but it is likely that he could get his hands on covenant equipment like flares. His most useful equipment would probably be a radar jammer. It would stop Master Chief from being able to find him using his radar. Master Chief has used equipment and as such has more experience with it, he has shown (in trailers) that he is good at using bubble shields to block incoming attacks.
Advantage - Tie

Weapons
This category is really human weapons versus covenant weapons. Although both have experience using the other factions weapons, heading into a confrontation they would arm themselves from their armory. Both have a variety of heavy weapons to use, but human heavy weapons generally have a longer range than Covenant weapons (Laser vs. fuel rod gun etc). Medium range is equal, carbines, needle rifles, battle rifles, etc. Long range is equal as snipers and beam rifles work essentially the same. Short range is equal, both can duel wield using smg's or plasma rifles, or can use one storm rifle or assault rifle. Close quarters the Arbiter wins due to his energy sword.
Advantage - Tie

Final score
Master Chief - Spartan John 117 - 4 points

The Arbiter - Thel Vadam - 4 points

My analysis based on the franchise shows that it would in fact be too close to call.

What do you think? Are my category assessments accurate? Who do you think would win?
I'm gonna have to disagree with some of your point allocations.

Strength would never really used in this type of encounter, especially if they're armed with weapons. If it ever did come to it, John's speed would far outrank Thel's strength, Unless he had him held down somehow.

John's CQC is probably only ranked just below Thel's at this point in time. As he has been in active duty while Thel has been playing Diplomat for 4 fours.

When it comes to Weaponry, Thel would easily be better armed then John. Covenant arms are far superior to UNSC weapons.

Overall I'd still have to give it to Thel, as his equipment, weaponry and CQC skills are just better ranked than John's. On a even playing field however, I'd see John coming out on top.
You forgot one thing. The one thing Cortana says John has...Luck. I give it to the lucky guy lol
Arby isnt stronger than chief
Depends if you're playing on Legendary or not.
Arby que? Is this a catering competition?
The master cheif would win because spartens absolutly f**king mauls elites
Jon wins hands down. He had killed tens of thousands of covenant.
I'm gonna give this one to Thel.

Sure, you may mow down thousands of nameless Elites in the games, but gameplay isn't canon. The novels, where balancing ins't an issue, make it clear that a good Elite is a match for a Spartan, and Thel is quite possibly the most skilled Sangheili alive. No Spartan could take him mano a mano. Chief might be able to pull off the win with the rest of Blue Team behind him, but solo? He'd be annihilated.
I think that Master Chief would win, especially since he has more experience with combat. Another thing is that I don't think that we will ever come to a conclusion because 1. MC and Arby were friends and got along most of the time, 2. MC and Arby were shown as equals and although they have different strengths, they are both very good at what they do.
Thel, he was the shipmaster of a fleet that destroyed Reach and landed on Installation 04, to get that rank he would of had to have killed many spartans.
Adding to that he's clearly able to overpower chief.

Try going into individual combat with even an elite minor in legendary in pretty much any game hand to hand, see who wins. That's who'd win in a competition with no weapons.
Assuming they're both armed it could go either way.
Thel, he was the shipmaster of a fleet that destroyed Reach and landed on Installation 04, to get that rank he would of had to have killed many spartans.

What? No he wouldn't, Thel hasn't killed a single Spartan...

He would have had to have racked up a lot of kills yes, but not necessarily Spartans.

Quote:
How so?

Still though, I reckon it would either be a tie, or Thel would win.
Luke Del wrote:

What? No he wouldn't, Thel hasn't killed a single Spartan...

He would have had to have racked up a lot of kills yes, but not necessarily Spartans.

Quote:

How so?

Still though, I reckon it would either be a tie, or Thel would win.
Do you really think not one of those thousands to have been killed would have been a spartan? even low ranking elites like Ustaf 'Nbekee have killed a Spartan, you seriously doubt a shipmaster given that responsibility would of?

Elites are somewhat stronger than Spatan-II's, not by much but still stronger. Again try playing in Heroic or Legendary against an elite and see who wins using only melee.
You're forgetting that Thel is wearing the Arbiters armour, which as far as we know is not power assisting unlike the average combat harness used by Elites. A base Elites strength is not equal to a Spartan in Mjolnir, they require their combat harness's in order to become equal in strength. Thel has also been floored by a Spartan before, Jai is not notable among the Spartans for great strength or speed so he might even be slightly weaker than John. Overall due to Chiefs speed he comes out on top.
You're forgetting that Thel is wearing the Arbiters armour, which as far as we know is not power assisting unlike the average combat harness used by Elites. A base Elites strength is not equal to a Spartan in Mjolnir, they require their combat harness's in order to become equal in strength. Thel has also been floored by a Spartan before, Jai is not notable among the Spartans for great strength or speed so he might even be slightly weaker than John. Overall due to Chiefs speed he comes out on top.
Jai tackled him while he was not looking. I have played Rugby before and I can assure you it requires technique, not necessarily equal strength to tackle someone.
It is not a notable indicator of strength and even John 117 is said not to be the strongest, fastest, or most skillful spartans, but he has luck.

Jai tackled him while he was not looking. I have played Rugby before and I can assure you it requires technique, not necessarily equal strength to tackle someone.
It is not a notable indicator of strength and even John 117 is said not to be the strongest, fastest, or most skillful spartans, but he has luck.
Exactly he admitted Fred was better than him. He would have to beat Thel as he is the main Character of the game. Fred could take Thel he took out two elites with just Combat Knives.
Do you really think not one of those thousands to have been killed would have been a spartan? even low ranking elites like Ustaf 'Nbekee have killed a Spartan, you seriously doubt a shipmaster given that responsibility would of?

Yes. Only 5-6 Spartan IIs were killed before 2552, and Thel killed none of them. Thel also never participated in any battle that the Spartan IIIs took part in. So no, he has never killed a Spartan. How many Spartans did you think there were?

Quote:
Elites are somewhat stronger than Spatan-II's, not by much but still stronger. Again try playing in Heroic or Legendary against an elite and see who wins using only melee.
They are around just as strong actually. Gameplay =/= canon.

Not to mention, the 12 year old Beta Company Spartan IIIs annihalated hundreds, if not thousands of Elites in hand-to-hand combat during Operation Torpedo. Not to mention that these 12 year old Spartans weren't even equipped with Mjolnir, they wore SPI armour instead.
Luke Del wrote:

Yes. Only 5-6 Spartan IIs were killed before 2552, and Thel killed none of them. Thel also never participated in any battle that the Spartan IIIs took part in. So no, he has never killed a Spartan. How many Spartans did you think there were?

Quote:

Not to mention, the 12 year old Beta Company Spartan IIIs annihalated hundreds, if not thousands of Elites in hand-to-hand combat during Operation Torpedo. Not to mention that these 12 year old Spartans weren't even equipped with Mjolnir, they wore SPI armour instead.
He is the Supreme Commander at the fall of Reach.
Meaning, in a sense you could actually attribute majority of SII deaths to him.
Luke Del wrote:

Quote:

He is the Supreme Commander at the fall of Reach.
Meaning, in a sense you could actually attribute majority of SII deaths to him.
He wasn't directly responsible for their deaths though. He didn't defeat them in combat himself, nor did he personally kill them, they were killed by Covenant forces.

True, but my point is a Spartan II in Mjolnir is perfectly capable of taking on Thel.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2