1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
EvilKeny28 wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Here is the aforementioned tweet. And yes, Silent Storm's opening chapter certainly shows off a degree of their physical strength. To restate the conditions, Blue Team holds fast against 30 Gs of acceleration in the slingshot manoeuvre by physically grabbing their teammate's thruster-packs for guidance. The column they were chained in was "undulating", meaning that it was waving side-to-side. The Spartan at the back would be experiencing the most torque relative to their bodyweight, in that case - making for a decent counterbalance to what the second to first is experiencing via sheer weight.

Coupled with his 130 kilo frame, John would weigh close to 578 kilograms in his COBALT armor - given how the suit itself weighs 56 kilograms on Seoba's ~0.125G gravity. With that in mind and peppering down the average to 567 for the 4 of them, the Spartan second to John would be holding approximately over 51 tonnes of force with subtle changes of torque -This is a similar number I have derived by their Monolith push in The Fall of Reach. While these numbers may seem outlandish, they do give some weight behind their other striking feats where they punch through MBTs, Pelicans, and even the haulage deck of the Forward Unto Dawn in Halo 3 (Which was notably unscathed by an M12 and later a M808 crashing into it).

To remain on-topic, this would imply unarmoured John as being a ten-tonner in certain translations (as much as I try to avoid the force-multiplier purview, if other franchises are any indicator of how much of an extraction and reliability fiasco that can become).
Thank you for providing the tweet, I don't have a twitter account so finding things like that is quite difficult for me.
I just want to point out that his answer seems to be specifically directed toward Lucy and Tom aka Spartan 3s. The reason I find this of note is due to various media pieces implying that Spartan 3s are not on the same level as Spartan 2s. It could be that in Denning's mind Spartan 2s are fairly superior to Spartan 3s. I was always disappointed by the depiction of Mark vs Ota Gallo in A Necessary Truth considering how superior a Spartan 3 should be in relation to a normal human. But I guess this is the result of the plot often needing regular humans to sometimes match or even beat Spartan level individuals.

-

From which novel is this 20 km/h figure? I don't recall reading that recently so it may be from a book I have yet to buy.

-

Is John a 10 tonner whilst in armour? Also have you taken into account the differing levels of enhancement that each Mark provides (such as x2 for mark4 and 5, and x5 for mark6)?
Then again I'm not even sure authors actually care about this particular notion since there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the depictions of Spartan strength in mark 4 and mark 6+. This could be due to the fact that in some of the recent adaptations of the Fall of Reach (comic/animation) they changed the value from x2 to x5.
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Where does the out of breath lifting containers come from?

The main one that gets me is when Halsey survive being punched by Lucy, gets my goat that does.
It comes from the Kilo 5 trilogy, Glasslands I think (I don't have the book on my right now so I cannot verify). Naomi is out of armour and lifting containers around.

As for Lucy, yeah that scene is a bit dumb. The fact that she wasn't in MJOLNIR and maybe held back could explain it. Lucy is also potentially not that strong for a Spartan.
Inconsistencies all around!
the kilo 5 trilogy messes with a lot of things like that
EvilKeny28 wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Here is the aforementioned tweet. And yes, Silent Storm's opening chapter certainly shows off a degree of their physical strength. To restate the conditions, Blue Team holds fast against 30 Gs of acceleration in the slingshot manoeuvre by physically grabbing their teammate's thruster-packs for guidance. The column they were chained in was "undulating", meaning that it was waving side-to-side. The Spartan at the back would be experiencing the most torque relative to their bodyweight, in that case - making for a decent counterbalance to what the second to first is experiencing via sheer weight.

Coupled with his 130 kilo frame, John would weigh close to 578 kilograms in his COBALT armor - given how the suit itself weighs 56 kilograms on Seoba's ~0.125G gravity. With that in mind and peppering down the average to 567 for the 4 of them, the Spartan second to John would be holding approximately over 51 tonnes of force with subtle changes of torque -This is a similar number I have derived by their Monolith push in The Fall of Reach. While these numbers may seem outlandish, they do give some weight behind their other striking feats where they punch through MBTs, Pelicans, and even the haulage deck of the Forward Unto Dawn in Halo 3 (Which was notably unscathed by an M12 and later a M808 crashing into it).

To remain on-topic, this would imply unarmoured John as being a ten-tonner in certain translations (as much as I try to avoid the force-multiplier purview, if other franchises are any indicator of how much of an extraction and reliability fiasco that can become).
Thank you for providing the tweet, I don't have a twitter account so finding things like that is quite difficult for me.
I just want to point out that his answer seems to be specifically directed toward Lucy and Tom aka Spartan 3s. The reason I find this of note is due to various media pieces implying that Spartan 3s are not on the same level as Spartan 2s. It could be that in Denning's mind Spartan 2s are fairly superior to Spartan 3s. I was always disappointed by the depiction of Mark vs Ota Gallo in A Necessary Truth considering how superior a Spartan 3 should be in relation to a normal human. But I guess this is the result of the plot often needing regular humans to sometimes match or even beat Spartan level individuals.

-

From which novel is this 20 km/h figure? I don't recall reading that recently so it may be from a book I have yet to buy.

-

Is John a 10 tonner whilst in armour? Also have you taken into account the differing levels of enhancement that each Mark provides (such as x2 for mark4 and 5, and x5 for mark6)?
Then again I'm not even sure authors actually care about this particular notion since there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the depictions of Spartan strength in mark 4 and mark 6+. This could be due to the fact that in some of the recent adaptations of the Fall of Reach (comic/animation) they changed the value from x2 to x5.
Apologies for the late response, but you're welcome. Perhaps, though there have been official numbers provided by Nylund describing their raw strength as being triple that of an unaugmented soldier. Given the far more invasive procedures (including the return of ASTER's grafting measures rather than catalyst drugs), Section Three's significantly renewed understanding of the discipline, and the more comparable, "less-gifted" genetic blueprint between the IIIs and IVs, It is not too surprising that project: ORCHID's augmentations over the fraction of corresponding drug enhancements CHRYSANTHEMUM employed are somewhat more within the range of a Spartan-IIs effectiveness - at least, physically.

I understand your discomfort about that scene, but keep in mind how controlled of a scenario this was, in favour of providing Gallo the greatest foothold she could to entice her actions without her likely chance of having her face splattered - Mark, during his restraining of a 140 kilogram and overweight human, makes a hasty decision to use said man as an improvised dummy; partially blocking an abrupt attacker caught in his peripheral vision, and forgoing said strike attempt from a fatal wound to a mere gash near his clavicle. Following this, Mark kills the man in a single soft blow to his chest, massively outweighing what's expected of even an adeptly skilled athlete.

To summarise, I see personally see this as less a crippling outlier to the capabilities of a Spartan III, but further evidence of their inhuman striking ability and strength sufficient to essentially rag-doll what many weightlifters would aspire to bench-press. Speaking of..

Spoiler:
Show
-
In short, it's from
Spoiler:
Show
-
It depends on the source. Armored Spartan feats tend to lie around that range from what I have gathered - Including John throwing a haulage sled 10 or so meters onto a large conveyor belt later in Silent Storm, or even the very performance of single-handedly yanking thousand-kilogram, armored Jiralhanae out of RAVs as seen in Halo 3 and more explicitly in the canon for Halo Wars 2 Phoenix Logs.
With what's implied with the Slingshot instance however, John would be marginally capable of achieving these feats of strength even out of his armor with this particular example. However, this is based upon the somewhat chaotic measure of scaling, so I agree with your scepticism of it's ultimate reliability.
Well I mean they are already inhanced by the augmentations but I think at normal max they can only lift or hold a certain amount but in actual action them the augmentations kick in pumping that adrenaline to make them use 100% of all of their strength given them more leverage to be more strong than how they were not in action and sometimes most Spartans strengths are depicted differently depending on that specific spartan not every spartan is equal they all have their own strengths and skill sets so to really compare is very folly because it’s just searching for an answer that will not be solved because there is no answer
I think why it can’t be depicted properly is because we are humans and they are human we have different bodies and even enhanced not all of them are as strong as a spartan 2s are meant to physically be like even some of the spartan twos died from not surviving the enhancement and some were crippled for life all of of their strengths are entirely different
DJ 2354 wrote:
I think why it can’t be depicted properly is because we are humans and they are human we have different bodies and even enhanced not all of them are as strong as a spartan 2s are meant to physically be like even some of the spartan twos died from not surviving the enhancement and some were crippled for life all of of their strengths are entirely different
Please don't post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. Thanks
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3