Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Spartan-II specialized helmets.

OP Spartan 120 CI

Do you guys like the IIs having their own unique helmets in Mark IV during Sigma Octanus IV and Mark V during the Fall of Reach? Because I believe in the book they all had the same armor and then the comics changed it up to have different helmets. What do you guys like?
I honestly don't mind either version? At this point I'm not even sure what the "hard canon" is anyway, due to how many times the details surrounding the Spartan-IIs' early days wearing MJOLNIR have been retconned or subject to "artistic license". The way I see it so long as they are in armor and it doesn't have the breakthrough tech that came later (like energy shields) in accordance with the series overall timeline, it's all good. In the end I'll take character and story consistency over the visual depictions of things always matching.
Although it's not the original (as in the book), I actually like the personalized MJOLNIR. It has gotten difficult to spot the canon canon, though.
It makes sense to me. More so than all of them having identical armor. I get what Nylund was going for, but it doesnt really fit the whole "specialized military equipment" thing that the Materials Group made.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
It would make sense for Spartan-IIs to wear identical MJOLNIR armor in the earlier days of the war, simply due to the cost of development and building each suit of power armor for each Spartan-II. I would say that the UNSC finally managed to get the cost and complexity down to something pretty manageable with the Mark V, and then further still (though I'd imagine loss of quality over quantity) with succeeding generations of the suit (resulting in the plastic, worthless looking stuff that Spartans IV's wear in Halo 4/5).
Do you guys like the IIs having their own unique helmets in Mark IV during Sigma Octanus IV and Mark V during the Fall of Reach? Because I believe in the book they all had the same armor and then the comics changed it up to have different helmets. What do you guys like?
I love it. It differentiates the Spartans. Besides their numbers, it makes them all different and unique.
Agree, I love that spartans give they´re own style, i mean it still remember us that they´re humans.
In the earlier days of my Halo fascination, I was a big fan of the idea that earlier iterations of MJOLNIR (up though MkV) were pretty much cookie-cutter suits that all looked "identical" minus cosmetic paint and color flourishes. It seemed very utilitarian and logical to have a standardized Spartan powered assault armor, especially considering that (to the best of my limited lore knowledge) ONI kept design, development, and manufacturing for these early iterations of MJOLNIR under seriously tight lock and key in terms of minimizing privatized military influence/input.

I thought the evolution on that as seen with the MkV variants in Halo: Reach was wicked cool, though. As the advancement of MJOLNIR and the classified status of it and the Spartan programs diminished steadily through the H/C War, it seemed logical and also quite awesome that there would be specialized and/or privatized iterations and variants on the basic platform of the MkV. It made sense to me that a lot of Spartans would opt to specialize their armors when the option became available to accentuate their strengths and/or help compensate for their weaknesses.

It also helped Chief's character for me, to know that he could have gone for a more personal/specialized armor set but elected to keep things standard, for whatever reason (I like to think that not only wouldn't he require the added specializations to compensate for any lacking areas of expertise, but that he had also become, by that time, the ultimate embodiment of what a Spartan ought to be; The standard armor wasn't generic on him like it was on most other Spartans-- he owned it and made it iconic and synonymous with his own bad-Yoink!-ery).

In more recent years, I think that because of the sheer number of specialized armor sets, and how niche some of them are by design, H4 and 5 have taken the concept too far. I'm hoping for a return to a more manageable number of less extremely specific armor variants in Infinite. But overall, I am a fan of of variations on the MJOLNIR platforms.