Spartan IV vs II vs III

OP TF Deadpool 117

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
What is better, and why? Personally Spartan II's are the best!
The IIs and IIIs are pretty even, though I think the IIs' augmentations are slightly superior. Even if that's not true, they still have 30+ years of combat experience, so I'm gonna agree with you and say that they're the best.

IVs are easily the worst and really shouldn't even be called Spartans.
The IIs and IIIs are pretty even, though I think the IIs' augmentations are slightly superior. Even if that's not true, they still have 30+ years of combat experience, so I'm gonna agree with you and say that they're the best.

i'd have to agree with you. Spartan IV's are just marine's with amazing armor.

i'd have to agree with you. Spartan IV's are just marine's with amazing armor.
By the way, the guy above me is right, this is a duplicate thread and I didn't notice before I posted. Just a heads up, I have no idea whether the mods will do anything about it or not.
Well...IIIs all the way for me, superior training to the IIs- learning from them and watching them in action, better implants- at least for Gamma company, with ~100% success rate. Add to that the unsung hero factor and you have for me the best Spartans.
Well...IIIs all the way for me, superior training to the IIs- learning from them and watching them in action, better implants- at least for Gamma company, with ~100% success rate. Add to that the unsung hero factor and you have for me the best Spartans.
A good point.

A good point.
They also don't need MJOLNIR to fight the Covenant in Close Quarters, which is why i believe Spartan III's are the best. Before someone takes offense that i don't agree with them that "Spartan II's are da best", relax, this is just my opinion.
Yes, the IIs might be better. However, the IVs have numerical superiority, and plenty of combat training. This is because, in order to become a Spartan IV, you need several years of special forces (think ODST) training. Man, if they gave the Rookie Spartan IV armor he would be unstoppable.
I was under the impression that 343i addressed this. I think the official stance is that the IIs are better than IIIs and IVs, but a Spartan IV in Mjolnir Mark VII armor will trump a II or III in Mk. V or VI armor. Something to do with the armor's--not the operator's--speed and strength.

I don't think there is a significant difference between IIs and IIIs, but if I were a bettin' man, then I'd put my money on the IIs.
I'd love for someone to find that statement because it doesn't make sense and sounds like bungie reasoning.
I will agree that the S-III's had better training because they could improve upon the original training program of the S-II's, but the only S-III's on the S-II's level was noble team. The rest just didn't have the genetics to match up, which was why they were used for suicide missions. Lucy was only 5'3, and Tom wasn't much bigger they weren't freaks of nature like the S-II's.

I will agree that the S-III's had better training because they could improve upon the original training program of the S-II's, but the only S-III's on the S-II's level was noble team. The rest just didn't have the genetics to match up, which was why they were used for suicide missions. Lucy was only 5'3, and Tom wasn't much bigger they weren't freaks of nature like the S-II's.
Lucy actually did meet Spartan II genetic requirements. However, this really doesn't matter since genetics is really only strict in Spartan Programs so the subjects can survive. It really doesn't affect results as opposed to what most fans want to believe/have convinced themselves. For example, the "unexpected" results the Spartan II's had was chalked up to their augmentations working in concert by Dr. Halsey. She never considered their genetics to be the reason for their results, which should say things. This is also reinforced when Kurt mentions that expanding on Spartan III program selection protocols will increase the possibility of subject failure.
Quote:
However, this really doesn't matter since genetics is really only strict in Spartan Programs so the subjects can survive. It really doesn't affect results as opposed to what most fans want to believe/have convinced themselves
Err, the point of genetic requirements is to find those who are already above human standard and increase that capacity several times over. Halo:Reach's special edition had little packets going over some of the S-IIs as children and elaborating on their specialties.

You really seem to have a thing against the Spartan-IIs being the literal best of the best as we have been told for the last 10 years, nobody is making that up. They are superior genetically,physically, and mentally, I think Eric nylund even says this during the Halo:legends commentary.
Quote:
However, this really doesn't matter since genetics is really only strict in Spartan Programs so the subjects can survive. It really doesn't affect results as opposed to what most fans want to believe/have convinced themselves

Err, the point of genetic requirements is to find those who are already above human standard and increase that capacity several times over. Halo:Reach's special edition had little packets going over some of the S-IIs as children and elaborating on their specialties.
According to a Fall of Reach Definitive Edition and Ghosts of Onyx its main purpose was for survival(page 83 of both). The Spartan II's had to be that way in order to survive. The III's requirements were less strict so they didn't need to have genetics of that "caliber", meaning they didn't need to be. If genetics really mattered that much for results, Halsey would have considered it after their augmentations.

No, i don't have something against Spartan II's. In terms of pure character traits(what defines him) Chief will always be my favorite and Halo: The Flood will always be my favorite Novel. However, i do have something against the nostalgia that plagues this community's judgement on just about everything. Unfortunately, nothing i can do about it though.
Yeah, I don't touch the "definitive" editions which re-write the original establishments to make sense of Halo:Reach. So if you want to bring those up i'll have to stop here.
Yeah, I don't touch the "definitive" editions which re-write the original establishments to make sense of Halo:Reach. So if you want to bring those up i'll have to stop here.
I like to stay up to date. I do see what you're saying though.
It is simply the Spartan III's. They go in doing the impossible, knowing they are going to die no matter what, and sometimes survive. Even those who don't survive go out with a bang, and I'm sure if they don't win they'd surely take the rest of the II's and IV's with them.

They're also my favorite spartans, if you couldn't tell...
Spartan - II's I think are the best due to their advanced augmentations and training. The selection process for the II's were way more selective as compared to the III's and IV's. Also for example Master Chief's Blue Team would walk all over Noble Team for example. Also if Spartan IV's got the augmentations then Palmer and all them are pretty short compared to Chief. But one factor that it really boils down to in the end is battle experience. The II's were originally created to crush human rebellion then they fought the covenant so they have a knowledge of both. Now correct me if I am wrong ( I might be ) but I think the III's and IV's only have a working knowledge of fighting the covenant. So in the end I think that the Spartan - II's are the better of all for now.
In terms of physical capabilities (Strength, speed, durability):

III (Gamma only) > II > III > VI

In terms of training and experience:

II > III > VI

In terms of performance and success over all:

II > III > II

In terms of armour and equipment:

VI > II > III (with the exception of Noble Team)

Hope that helps, if you have any contradictions please reply :)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13