Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Spartan IV vs II vs III

OP TF Deadpool 117

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 11
  4. 12
  5. 13
  6. ...
  7. 14
Antizzur wrote:
tL Armada wrote:
Antizzur wrote:
I think

Spartan 2’sare extremely effective bust expensive

Spartan 3’svery effective slightly expendable

Spartan 4’sare more effective than marines but less effective than the previous Spartan iterations and are the most expendable
You're close, but the whole concept of the Spartan-IIIs was to be expendable. I'd also have to say they're as effective as S-IIs since they were trained from around the same age and with a more refined regimen.
I'd say S-IVs aren't intended to be expendable at all, to be honest. It's easier to make them, sure, but still not preferable to have to replace them. It still costs money, yo!
Thanks I tried adjusting it
Looks nice! I think it gives a good overview of each of them.
Ok. I'd just like to sort this all out. Spartan I. The worst of the four and basically a human taking some mad steroids. Spartan II. The genetically, mentally, physically and completely overall better Spartan. Trained from the age of five under conditions far harder than any other generation and in many cases having their humanity removed and turned into absolute killing machines. Jorge the only Spartan II in Noble team was the most feared because he was an S2 "A living, breathing death threat". Anyone who thinks a Spartan III can compete with a II is showing a complete lack of knowledge for the lore. The Spartan III program was designed to create cheaper, mass produced, inferior Spartans. Quantity over quality. Spartan IV, below the Spartan II and III, but with their superior equipment in some cases could hold there own against a Spartan II (although the lore with how strong they are can be very muddy because 343). In reality I'd actually say they are on par with a Spartan III Overall, but still physically inferior.

I don't mean to be rude but please use lore and refrain from just using personal opinion, that's the whole point of these forums. This Spartan Lore is almost as well known as chief's suit being green.
EvilKeny28 wrote:
I want to modify this to make it fair for the IIIs due to their -Yoink- tier armor and the IV's god tier armor.

Conditions:
All 3 Participants are wearing Gen 1 Mark IV
All are using standard MA5D and M395 DMR
The Spartan IV is from the first class
The Spartan III is from Gamma Company
The Spartan II is an average II (aka not like Gray)

Now with that out of the way I'm going to say the Spartan III wins. Why? Well the Gamma III what they lack in time that the II has, they make up for in their superior training and Kurt's Go-juice. Don't believe me? An SIII in SPI almost took down an SII in MJOLNIR in GoO. The Spartan IV would be good and obviously has the skill and time from surviving the war, but what they lack is the more harsh and powerful augmentations. Besides that, the IVs don't really have a special training for an extended period like the IIs or IIIs. Thus the IV is knocked out. Now left with the II and III. Like said it's an average II vs a Gamma III, so while they are still a II and have a bit better augmentations the III still wins due to their better training. If the II did manage to beat them to near death, the Go-juice would activate and the III would most likely kill the II along with themself. Now if you change the situation to say Jai vs Tom vs Palmer then Jai obviously wins because he's probably one of the best Spartans besides his team and Linda. All in all though, it depends on who the Spartan II is, which Company the Spartan III is from, which class the IV is from, and what armor each generation is wearing.
Not even close.

"She spun and saw a ghostly figure, moving toward her faster than any human could move.
Kelly sidestepped, grabbed the arm, twisted.
Her opponent reverse-twisted and countered the lock.
Whatever it was, it wasn't human; otherwise Kelly would have ripped its human arm from the socket.
Her opponent twisted her wrist and escaped from Kelly's grip.
Kelly was still faster,her other hand lashed out, palm flat, and impacted the solar plexus.
The other figure flew back two meters, hit a tree, and slumped".
This was the entire fight and Kelly wasn't in the slightest bit of trouble.
To be fair though, Kelly had MJOLNIR armour, was a full adult and had decades of combat experience. Kelly also being the fastest Spartan to the point of having to slow down when sparring with her fellow S2s just makes this even more of a mismatch.
Yeah,it was a major mismatch.Vermont is under the impression that it was a close fight for some reason.
First being a part of gamma company doesn't mean anything, people say they are better because they were trained by an S2 so that just gives us more proof that S2 is better. The SIII had the drop on Kelly and couldn't even get the first move out even after she had underestimated the SIII. She then proceeds to throw the SIII. On a side note SIII can use Mjolnir but not as well because they are physically inferior due to augmentations. Another example was when Kurt, an S2, knocked out one of Gamma company (my memory fails me who) sending him flying 2 metres into the air whilst he had sustained fatal injuries in one move. Both him and the SIII were in SPI armour. If you use the argument that Kelly is the fastest Spartan (because she's a II) aren't Gamma company meant to be the best Spartan III?
what's it matter? A Spartan is a Spartan no matter what number you want to assign after the title. They are considered Super-Soldiers no matter how you look at it.. I do however see why you are comparing each. It's kind of a history report sort of thing in a way to see if there was a grudge match between them who would win sort of deal. I get it.
ONAImpulse wrote:
Spartan II. The genetically, mentally, physically and completely overall better Spartan. Trained from the age of five under conditions far harder than any other generation and in many cases having their humanity removed and turned into absolute killing machines. Jorge the only Spartan II in Noble team was the most feared because he was an S2 "A living, breathing death threat". Anyone who thinks a Spartan III can compete with a II is showing a complete lack of knowledge for the lore. The Spartan III program was designed to create cheaper, mass produced, inferior Spartans. Quantity over quality.
Spartan-IIIs were trained from the same age that the Spartan-IIs were. Their training was noted to have been refined from lessons learned from the Spartan-IIs training regimen. I'd also wager that both the Spartan-IIIs and Spartan-IVs have better training (though the IVs have had less time) than the Spartan-IIs due to not only coming after the Spartan-IIs initial regimen (therefore refined), but the Spartan-IIs trained to fight insurrectionists; humans. Spartan-IIIs and Spartan-IVs would train from day one to fight the Covenant, which the Spartan-IIs needed to learn on-the-fly.

As for augmentations, it was noted that the Spartan-IIIs augmentations were a 'quantum leap over the Spartan-IIs' from page 63 Ghost of Onyx.
The procedure was different but not necessarily lesser -- though recent works have made that murky. A Spartan-III can perform very closely to a Spartan-II. The major contributing factor to lessening their capabilities was the use of SPI armor instead of Mjolnir. Aside from the Field Manual, I don't believe it's been stated that the Spartan-IIIs cannot utilize Mjolnir as well as Spartan-IIs. Noble team seemed to have operated at the same efficiency as Jorge, who was not noted as being deadlier than them, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from.
tL Armada wrote:
ONAImpulse wrote:
Spartan II. The genetically, mentally, physically and completely overall better Spartan. Trained from the age of five under conditions far harder than any other generation and in many cases having their humanity removed and turned into absolute killing machines. Jorge the only Spartan II in Noble team was the most feared because he was an S2 "A living, breathing death threat". Anyone who thinks a Spartan III can compete with a II is showing a complete lack of knowledge for the lore. The Spartan III program was designed to create cheaper, mass produced, inferior Spartans. Quantity over quality.
Spartan-IIIs were trained from the same age that the Spartan-IIs were. Their training was noted to have been refined from lessons learned from the Spartan-IIs training regimen. I'd also wager that both the Spartan-IIIs and Spartan-IVs have better training (though the IVs have had less time) than the Spartan-IIs due to not only coming after the Spartan-IIs initial regimen (therefore refined), but the Spartan-IIs trained to fight insurrectionists; humans. Spartan-IIIs and Spartan-IVs would train from day one to fight the Covenant, which the Spartan-IIs needed to learn on-the-fly.

As for augmentations, it was noted that the Spartan-IIIs augmentations were a 'quantum leap over the Spartan-IIs' from page 63 Ghost of Onyx.
The procedure was different but not necessarily lesser -- though recent works have made that murky. A Spartan-III can perform very closely to a Spartan-II. The major contributing factor to lessening their capabilities was the use of SPI armor instead of Mjolnir. Aside from the Field Manual, I don't believe it's been stated that the Spartan-IIIs cannot utilize Mjolnir as well as Spartan-IIs. Noble team seemed to have operated at the same efficiency as Jorge, who was not noted as being deadlier than them, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from.
The Field Manual says that Spartan 3s can't utilise MJOLNIR as well as Spartan 2s?
Do you have a quote for that?
I know that the Canon Fodder Article Armory Amore did have a section that said this:
"Expensive and requiring complicated surgery when first introduced, neural interfaces and their mediating computing systems can be fitted in a simple outpatient clinical procedure by 2557. High-bandwidth interfaces can be paired with advanced expert systems to augment – and even bypass – the human motor system, reducing the physiological stress of high-performance combat exoskeletons to levels that do not require extensive skeletal reinforcement. This innovation, initially a secondary line of research during Project: MJOLNIR’s early days, was crucial for SPARTAN-III and SPARTAN-IV."
EvilKeny28 wrote:
tL Armada wrote:
The Field Manual says that Spartan 3s can't utilise MJOLNIR as well as Spartan 2s?
Do you have a quote for that?
I know that the Canon Fodder Article Armory Amore did have a section that said this:
"Expensive and requiring complicated surgery when first introduced, neural interfaces and their mediating computing systems can be fitted in a simple outpatient clinical procedure by 2557. High-bandwidth interfaces can be paired with advanced expert systems to augment – and even bypass – the human motor system, reducing the physiological stress of high-performance combat exoskeletons to levels that do not require extensive skeletal reinforcement. This innovation, initially a secondary line of research during Project: MJOLNIR’s early days, was crucial for SPARTAN-III and SPARTAN-IV."
I had misspoke when I listed the Field Manual as the source (not sure why, looking back on it now). It is indeed from the Armory Amore article that has the passage you listed. I scanned through the Field Manual to double check, and there is no reference to inferior use of Mjolnir for Spartan-IIIs.
Spartan II 's have more experience
Spartan III's are fearless as they are meant to be suicidal
Spartan IV's also have experience as most of them used to be ODST's
My Opinion SII's and the SIII's are more Heroic as the SIV's don't take actions as serious as th e others, maybe because there training wasn't as tough as the SII's and the SIII's.

Spartan II's are just overall more lively than the others and I prefer the armor what the II's wear.
On a power level, IIs are the best IMO followed by IVs the IIIs. However, this is just on paper, there are a number of factors that cannot be calculated but probably give IIIs an advantage over IVs such as experience.
The IIs and IIIs are pretty even, though I think the IIs' augmentations are slightly superior. Even if that's not true, they still have 30+ years of combat experience, so I'm gonna agree with you and say that they're the best.

IVs are easily the worst and really shouldn't even be called Spartans.
i'd have to agree with you. Spartan IV's are just marine's with amazing armor.
I'd like to address this^^^ though.
IVs are far more than just marines in armour; first of all they are selected from the best of the best of the non-Spartans, lots of ODSTs, and other special forces (yes some marines, but not your run of the mill marines). Secondly, IVs do have a lot of augmentations you can read about here but to summarise, the aim was to create a soldier on par with the spartan IIs for spartan III costs.
On a power level, IIs are the best IMO followed by IVs the IIIs. However, this is just on paper, there are a number of factors that cannot be calculated but probably give IIIs an advantage over IVs such as experience.
The IIs and IIIs are pretty even, though I think the IIs' augmentations are slightly superior. Even if that's not true, they still have 30+ years of combat experience, so I'm gonna agree with you and say that they're the best.

IVs are easily the worst and really shouldn't even be called Spartans.
i'd have to agree with you. Spartan IV's are just marine's with amazing armor.
I'd like to address this^^^ though.
IVs are far more than just marines in armour; first of all they are selected from the best of the best of the non-Spartans, lots of ODSTs, and other special forces (yes some marines, but not your run of the mill marines). Secondly, IVs do have a lot of augmentations you can read about here but to summarise, the aim was to create a soldier on par with the spartan IIs for spartan III costs.
That's not quite correct.
Many sources including New Blood make it clear that the power difference is 2>3>4.

As for the Spartan 4 candidates this isn't as clear cut. The first class of Spartan 4s were chosen based entirely on their combat record; they were the best of the best (people like Buck and Palmer). Even among the soldiers of Alpha Nine only Buck met the standards of the program.
The ones that came after that are more varied as some came from ODST backgrounds such as the rest of Alpha Nine while others are young soldiers that show great potential but aren't necessarily very experienced. Thorn for example is fairly 'green' as far as Spartans go, Holt hadn't even encountered any Sangheili before he became a Spartan, Vale had next to no combat experience, Naiya Ray was in Signal Intelligence for 4 years before she became a Spartan.
This shows that not all Spartan 4s come from experienced backgrounds.

While the Spartan 4s do have a lot of different augmentations it is stressed that these enhancement are nowhere close to the level of a Spartan 2.
Out of armour the capabilities between the two generations are as night and day, however it is only in Gen2 armour that the difference between the two becomes a lot narrower (for some reason which is never explained).
EvilKeny28 wrote:
On a power level, IIs are the best IMO followed by IVs the IIIs. However, this is just on paper, there are a number of factors that cannot be calculated but probably give IIIs an advantage over IVs such as experience.
The IIs and IIIs are pretty even, though I think the IIs' augmentations are slightly superior. Even if that's not true, they still have 30+ years of combat experience, so I'm gonna agree with you and say that they're the best.

IVs are easily the worst and really shouldn't even be called Spartans.
i'd have to agree with you. Spartan IV's are just marine's with amazing armor.
I'd like to address this^^^ though.
IVs are far more than just marines in armour; first of all they are selected from the best of the best of the non-Spartans, lots of ODSTs, and other special forces (yes some marines, but not your run of the mill marines). Secondly, IVs do have a lot of augmentations you can read about here but to summarise, the aim was to create a soldier on par with the spartan IIs for spartan III costs.
That's not quite correct.
Many sources including New Blood make it clear that the power difference is 2>3>4.

As for the Spartan 4 candidates this isn't as clear cut. The first class of Spartan 4s were chosen based entirely on their combat record; they were the best of the best (people like Buck and Palmer). Even among the soldiers of Alpha Nine only Buck met the standards of the program.
The ones that came after that are more varied as some came from ODST backgrounds such as the rest of Alpha Nine while others are young soldiers that show great potential but aren't necessarily very experienced. Thorn for example is fairly 'green' as far as Spartans go, Holt hadn't even encountered any Sangheili before he became a Spartan, Vale had next to no combat experience, Naiya Ray was in Signal Intelligence for 4 years before she became a Spartan.
This shows that not all Spartan 4s come from experienced backgrounds.

While the Spartan 4s do have a lot of different augmentations it is stressed that these enhancement are nowhere close to the level of a Spartan 2.
Out of armour the capabilities between the two generations are as night and day, however it is only in Gen2 armour that the difference between the two becomes a lot narrower (for some reason which is never explained).
I've read New Blood and assume you were reffering to the titans, gods, heroes comment.
Since this conflicts with other lore surrounding the Spartan programs, I've always assumed that this was just the author either misunderstanding the Spartan programs or finding what he thought was a nice metaphor and using it regardless of accuracy.
Either way, regardless of the ranking of the Spartan programs, my comment still stands that IVs are more than just marines in armour.
EvilKeny28 wrote:
On a power level, IIs are the best IMO followed by IVs the IIIs. However, this is just on paper, there are a number of factors that cannot be calculated but probably give IIIs an advantage over IVs such as experience.
The IIs and IIIs are pretty even, though I think the IIs' augmentations are slightly superior. Even if that's not true, they still have 30+ years of combat experience, so I'm gonna agree with you and say that they're the best.

IVs are easily the worst and really shouldn't even be called Spartans.
i'd have to agree with you. Spartan IV's are just marine's with amazing armor.
I'd like to address this^^^ though.
IVs are far more than just marines in armour; first of all they are selected from the best of the best of the non-Spartans, lots of ODSTs, and other special forces (yes some marines, but not your run of the mill marines). Secondly, IVs do have a lot of augmentations you can read about here but to summarise, the aim was to create a soldier on par with the spartan IIs for spartan III costs.
That's not quite correct.
Many sources including New Blood make it clear that the power difference is 2>3>4.

As for the Spartan 4 candidates this isn't as clear cut. The first class of Spartan 4s were chosen based entirely on their combat record; they were the best of the best (people like Buck and Palmer). Even among the soldiers of Alpha Nine only Buck met the standards of the program.
The ones that came after that are more varied as some came from ODST backgrounds such as the rest of Alpha Nine while others are young soldiers that show great potential but aren't necessarily very experienced. Thorn for example is fairly 'green' as far as Spartans go, Holt hadn't even encountered any Sangheili before he became a Spartan, Vale had next to no combat experience, Naiya Ray was in Signal Intelligence for 4 years before she became a Spartan.
This shows that not all Spartan 4s come from experienced backgrounds.

While the Spartan 4s do have a lot of different augmentations it is stressed that these enhancement are nowhere close to the level of a Spartan 2.
Out of armour the capabilities between the two generations are as night and day, however it is only in Gen2 armour that the difference between the two becomes a lot narrower (for some reason which is never explained).
I've read New Blood and assume you were reffering to the titans, gods, heroes comment.
Since this conflicts with other lore surrounding the Spartan programs, I've always assumed that this was just the author either misunderstanding the Spartan programs or finding what he thought was a nice metaphor and using it regardless of accuracy.
Either way, regardless of the ranking of the Spartan programs, my comment still stands that IVs are more than just marines in armour.
You are correct that they are more than marines in armour, but that doesn't mean that they are equals with the older generations.
Buck's comment in New Blood doesn't conflict at all with established lore, especially considering the more recent additions.
Originally there was no concrete information that explained the difference between Spartan 2s and Spartan 3s. Recent material such as New Blood, Armory Amore, Glasslands, Halo Fractures and the Field Manual have given us a clearer picture in that while the Spartan 3s are not on par physically with the Spartan 2s the physical gap isn't that wide as it is noted that a Spartan 3 is the near equal of a Spartan 2 in a firefight.
On the other hand the difference between a Spartan 2 and Spartan 4 has always been made very clear that the latter stands no chance against the former when out of armour.
Based on how the Spartan 3s and the Spartan 4s are compared to the Spartan 2s + Buck's comment we can be pretty sure that S3 > S4.
IIs. Master Chief is 47 (as of halo 5) and has been in the UNSC for 41
The Spartan II's would beat the crap out of the IV's.
Spartan Generations are like Generations in Vampire the Masquerade. The 1st is non existent, but the higher you go the weaker it becomes. So IIs beat IIIs, and IIIs beat IVs.

That being said I think you could put in a 5th Generation but it wouldn't be the UNSC Spartans, instead Generation V would be the result of Insurrectionist experiments with soldier augmentation and power armor. Now of course they wouldn't have the resources of the UNSC so a weaker Spartan (and no advantage in power armor), but it would be a powered armored augmented soldier none the less so Spartan generation V.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we must ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text. Sorry for the inconvenience.
yo creo que los mejores son los Spartans II, y los Spartans lV (por el power up de sus GEN ll), y ya a lo último los Spartans lll
EvilKeny28 wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
On a power level, IIs are the best IMO followed by IVs the IIIs. However, this is just on paper, there are a number of factors that cannot be calculated but probably give IIIs an advantage over IVs such as experience.
The IIs and IIIs are pretty even, though I think the IIs' augmentations are slightly superior. Even if that's not true, they still have 30+ years of combat experience, so I'm gonna agree with you and say that they're the best.

IVs are easily the worst and really shouldn't even be called Spartans.
i'd have to agree with you. Spartan IV's are just marine's with amazing armor.
I'd like to address this^^^ though.
IVs are far more than just marines in armour; first of all they are selected from the best of the best of the non-Spartans, lots of ODSTs, and other special forces (yes some marines, but not your run of the mill marines). Secondly, IVs do have a lot of augmentations you can read about here but to summarise, the aim was to create a soldier on par with the spartan IIs for spartan III costs.
That's not quite correct.
Many sources including New Blood make it clear that the power difference is 2>3>4.

As for the Spartan 4 candidates this isn't as clear cut. The first class of Spartan 4s were chosen based entirely on their combat record; they were the best of the best (people like Buck and Palmer). Even among the soldiers of Alpha Nine only Buck met the standards of the program.
The ones that came after that are more varied as some came from ODST backgrounds such as the rest of Alpha Nine while others are young soldiers that show great potential but aren't necessarily very experienced. Thorn for example is fairly 'green' as far as Spartans go, Holt hadn't even encountered any Sangheili before he became a Spartan, Vale had next to no combat experience, Naiya Ray was in Signal Intelligence for 4 years before she became a Spartan.
This shows that not all Spartan 4s come from experienced backgrounds.

While the Spartan 4s do have a lot of different augmentations it is stressed that these enhancement are nowhere close to the level of a Spartan 2.
Out of armour the capabilities between the two generations are as night and day, however it is only in Gen2 armour that the difference between the two becomes a lot narrower (for some reason which is never explained).
I've read New Blood and assume you were reffering to the titans, gods, heroes comment.
Since this conflicts with other lore surrounding the Spartan programs, I've always assumed that this was just the author either misunderstanding the Spartan programs or finding what he thought was a nice metaphor and using it regardless of accuracy.
Either way, regardless of the ranking of the Spartan programs, my comment still stands that IVs are more than just marines in armour.
You are correct that they are more than marines in armour, but that doesn't mean that they are equals with the older generations.
Buck's comment in New Blood doesn't conflict at all with established lore, especially considering the more recent additions.
Originally there was no concrete information that explained the difference between Spartan 2s and Spartan 3s. Recent material such as New Blood, Armory Amore, Glasslands, Halo Fractures and the Field Manual have given us a clearer picture in that while the Spartan 3s are not on par physically with the Spartan 2s the physical gap isn't that wide as it is noted that a Spartan 3 is the near equal of a Spartan 2 in a firefight.
On the other hand the difference between a Spartan 2 and Spartan 4 has always been made very clear that the latter stands no chance against the former when out of armour.
Based on how the Spartan 3s and the Spartan 4s are compared to the Spartan 2s + Buck's comment we can be pretty sure that S3 > S4.
You gotta factor in the experience too. Most of the IVs are experienced, combat vets so against IIIs from Gamma Company they may have a slight edge. And they are equal to the previous generations when fully kitted up. That's long been established in canon.
EvilKeny28 wrote:
On a power level, IIs are the best IMO followed by IVs the IIIs. However, this is just on paper, there are a number of factors that cannot be calculated but probably give IIIs an advantage over IVs such as experience.
The IIs and IIIs are pretty even, though I think the IIs' augmentations are slightly superior. Even if that's not true, they still have 30+ years of combat experience, so I'm gonna agree with you and say that they're the best.

IVs are easily the worst and really shouldn't even be called Spartans.
i'd have to agree with you. Spartan IV's are just marine's with amazing armor.
I'd like to address this^^^ though.
IVs are far more than just marines in armour; first of all they are selected from the best of the best of the non-Spartans, lots of ODSTs, and other special forces (yes some marines, but not your run of the mill marines). Secondly, IVs do have a lot of augmentations you can read about here but to summarise, the aim was to create a soldier on par with the spartan IIs for spartan III costs.
That's not quite correct.
Many sources including New Blood make it clear that the power difference is 2>3>4.

As for the Spartan 4 candidates this isn't as clear cut. The first class of Spartan 4s were chosen based entirely on their combat record; they were the best of the best (people like Buck and Palmer). Even among the soldiers of Alpha Nine only Buck met the standards of the program.
The ones that came after that are more varied as some came from ODST backgrounds such as the rest of Alpha Nine while others are young soldiers that show great potential but aren't necessarily very experienced. Thorn for example is fairly 'green' as far as Spartans go, Holt hadn't even encountered any Sangheili before he became a Spartan, Vale had next to no combat experience, Naiya Ray was in Signal Intelligence for 4 years before she became a Spartan.
This shows that not all Spartan 4s come from experienced backgrounds.

While the Spartan 4s do have a lot of different augmentations it is stressed that these enhancement are nowhere close to the level of a Spartan 2.
Out of armour the capabilities between the two generations are as night and day, however it is only in Gen2 armour that the difference between the two becomes a lot narrower (for some reason which is never explained).
If memory serves me correctly one of their augmentations enables them to take full advantage of the GEN2 armour systems. Their augmentations are also a lot different in nature to the previous generations of Spartans and offer certain benefits absent in ASTER and CHRYSANTHEMUM. But yes physically out of armor they are weaker.
EvilKeny28 wrote:
On a power level, IIs are the best IMO followed by IVs the IIIs. However, this is just on paper, there are a number of factors that cannot be calculated but probably give IIIs an advantage over IVs such as experience.
The IIs and IIIs are pretty even, though I think the IIs' augmentations are slightly superior. Even if that's not true, they still have 30+ years of combat experience, so I'm gonna agree with you and say that they're the best.

IVs are easily the worst and really shouldn't even be called Spartans.
i'd have to agree with you. Spartan IV's are just marine's with amazing armor.
I'd like to address this^^^ though.
IVs are far more than just marines in armour; first of all they are selected from the best of the best of the non-Spartans, lots of ODSTs, and other special forces (yes some marines, but not your run of the mill marines). Secondly, IVs do have a lot of augmentations you can read about here but to summarise, the aim was to create a soldier on par with the spartan IIs for spartan III costs.
That's not quite correct.
Many sources including New Blood make it clear that the power difference is 2>3>4.

As for the Spartan 4 candidates this isn't as clear cut. The first class of Spartan 4s were chosen based entirely on their combat record; they were the best of the best (people like Buck and Palmer). Even among the soldiers of Alpha Nine only Buck met the standards of the program.
The ones that came after that are more varied as some came from ODST backgrounds such as the rest of Alpha Nine while others are young soldiers that show great potential but aren't necessarily very experienced. Thorn for example is fairly 'green' as far as Spartans go, Holt hadn't even encountered any Sangheili before he became a Spartan, Vale had next to no combat experience, Naiya Ray was in Signal Intelligence for 4 years before she became a Spartan.
This shows that not all Spartan 4s come from experienced backgrounds.

While the Spartan 4s do have a lot of different augmentations it is stressed that these enhancement are nowhere close to the level of a Spartan 2.
Out of armour the capabilities between the two generations are as night and day, however it is only in Gen2 armour that the difference between the two becomes a lot narrower (for some reason which is never explained).
If memory serves me correctly one of their augmentations enables them to take full advantage of the GEN2 armour systems. Their augmentations are also a lot different in nature to the previous generations of Spartans and offer certain benefits absent in ASTER and CHRYSANTHEMUM. But yes physically out of armor they are weaker.
Many Spartan 4s are indeed experienced but not all are.
Some such as Vale have relatively little combat experience before becoming a Spartan. Others such as Elias Holt are considered somewhat 'green' by Spartan standards and had never encountered an Elite prior to becoming a Spartan.
Its important to remember that it would be mostly the earlier classes of Spartan 4s which would have substantial combat experience whilst newer classes would be composed moreso of individuals who display great potential.

I could also mention that the screening for the Spartan 4s is not particularly impressive considering Madson got in due to nepotism and an Insurrectionist succeeded in infiltrating the program.

The Spartan 4s have no such augmentation. There is currently no in-universe explanation why both S2s and S4s are relatively equal in Gen2 only theories.
EvilKeny28 wrote:
On a power level, IIs are the best IMO followed by IVs the IIIs. However, this is just on paper, there are a number of factors that cannot be calculated but probably give IIIs an advantage over IVs such as experience.
The IIs and IIIs are pretty even, though I think the IIs' augmentations are slightly superior. Even if that's not true, they still have 30+ years of combat experience, so I'm gonna agree with you and say that they're the best.

IVs are easily the worst and really shouldn't even be called Spartans.
i'd have to agree with you. Spartan IV's are just marine's with amazing armor.
I'd like to address this^^^ though.
IVs are far more than just marines in armour; first of all they are selected from the best of the best of the non-Spartans, lots of ODSTs, and other special forces (yes some marines, but not your run of the mill marines). Secondly, IVs do have a lot of augmentations you can read about here but to summarise, the aim was to create a soldier on par with the spartan IIs for spartan III costs.
That's not quite correct.
Many sources including New Blood make it clear that the power difference is 2>3>4.

As for the Spartan 4 candidates this isn't as clear cut. The first class of Spartan 4s were chosen based entirely on their combat record; they were the best of the best (people like Buck and Palmer). Even among the soldiers of Alpha Nine only Buck met the standards of the program.
The ones that came after that are more varied as some came from ODST backgrounds such as the rest of Alpha Nine while others are young soldiers that show great potential but aren't necessarily very experienced. Thorn for example is fairly 'green' as far as Spartans go, Holt hadn't even encountered any Sangheili before he became a Spartan, Vale had next to no combat experience, Naiya Ray was in Signal Intelligence for 4 years before she became a Spartan.
This shows that not all Spartan 4s come from experienced backgrounds.

While the Spartan 4s do have a lot of different augmentations it is stressed that these enhancement are nowhere close to the level of a Spartan 2.
Out of armour the capabilities between the two generations are as night and day, however it is only in Gen2 armour that the difference between the two becomes a lot narrower (for some reason which is never explained).
If memory serves me correctly one of their augmentations enables them to take full advantage of the GEN2 armour systems. Their augmentations are also a lot different in nature to the previous generations of Spartans and offer certain benefits absent in ASTER and CHRYSANTHEMUM. But yes physically out of armor they are weaker.
Please don't post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. Thanks
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 11
  4. 12
  5. 13
  6. ...
  7. 14