Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Spartan IV vs II vs III

OP TF Deadpool 117

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
Vexxumus wrote:
Spartan II and III are both children trained to be soldiers. The difference is the armor. III's don't have full power armor and II's do....Spartan IV's are a mix of II's and III's while most are experienced soldiers given a augmentations and power armor while in adulthood. The augmentations take years to get use to and the longer you have them the better they become. Therefore on a level playing field with all the same armor. I would say II's and III's are even in some areas while the IV's don't come close.
Some IIIs have full MJOLNIR.

Also the augmentations are never stated to take years to get used to/have full effects come into play
Technically, the Spartan IIIs are the best (the two or three surviving ones anyway). Here's why: First, they were trained at a young age similar to the Spartan IIs. Second, they were personally trained by a Spartan II and Chief Franklin Mendez, the original trainer of the SIIs. Third, the training regimens are tougher and after Alpha company, emphasized team cohesion. Fourth, after decades of refinement, the augmentation procedures are superior to the SIIs' and result in far fewer casualties. Fifth, like the SIIs, the augmentations are applied to prepubescent adolescents which enhances the augs' bond. Sixth; the illegal neural mutations which allow the SIIIs to maintain 100% efficiency under extreme stress and function long after asking fatal trauma are game changers. Their SPI armor was s***ty but couple the SIIIs with any variant of Gen 2 MJOLNIR and you have a fearsome fighter, indeed. The only downside to the SIIIs is that they are mentally unstable; driven by pain and revenge because of the destruction of their homeworlds by the Covenant; this is only exacerbated by the neural augmentations. Seeing as how 343 killed off Team Saber, we are left with only Tom and Lucy. Lucy is a basket case, so that leaves only Tom to continue the fight. I'm sure he can kick the crap of any Spartan IV--including any clown from Osiris.
Vexxumus wrote:
Spartan II and III are both children trained to be soldiers. The difference is the armor. III's don't have full power armor and II's do....Spartan IV's are a mix of II's and III's while most are experienced soldiers given a augmentations and power armor while in adulthood. The augmentations take years to get use to and the longer you have them the better they become. Therefore on a level playing field with all the same armor. I would say II's and III's are even in some areas while the IV's don't come close.
Some IIIs have full MJOLNIR.

Also the augmentations are never stated to take years to get used to/have full effects come into play
All the IIIs have GEN2 MJOLNIR now.
Technically, the Spartan IIIs are the best (the two or three surviving ones anyway). Here's why: First, they were trained at a young age similar to the Spartan IIs. Second, they were personally trained by a Spartan II and Chief Franklin Mendez, the original trainer of the SIIs. Third, the training regimens are tougher and after Alpha company, emphasized team cohesion. Fourth, after decades of refinement, the augmentation procedures are superior to the SIIs' and result in far fewer casualties. Fifth, like the SIIs, the augmentations are applied to prepubescent adolescents which enhances the augs' bond. Sixth; the illegal neural mutations which allow the SIIIs to maintain 100% efficiency under extreme stress and function long after asking fatal trauma are game changers. Their SPI armor was s***ty but couple the SIIIs with any variant of Gen 2 MJOLNIR and you have a fearsome fighter, indeed. The only downside to the SIIIs is that they are mentally unstable; driven by pain and revenge because of the destruction of their homeworlds by the Covenant; this is only exacerbated by the neural augmentations. Seeing as how 343 killed off Team Saber, we are left with only Tom and Lucy. Lucy is a basket case, so that leaves only Tom to continue the fight. I'm sure he can kick the crap of any Spartan IV--including any clown from Osiris.
Two or three surviving? The hell are you talking about.
Jun-A266
Tom-B292
Lucy-B091
Spartan-B170
Olivia-G291
Ash-G099
Mark-G313
Team Katana (5 Spartans)
Another 300 in Gamma Company, unconfirmed how many are alive, probably a lot as it is implied they were out into the Spartan Branch or ONI in large numbers.
Gauntlet Team (6 Spartans) *I said 6 for these 3 teams because they were specialized teams like Noble Team, they were under SPECWARCOM so I assumed similar structure.
Echo Team (6 Spartans)
Red Team (6 Spartans)
13 Headhunters
So yeah, way more than two or three. Also you really must not be that informed, Team Saber isn't dead, read Last Light. And more info in general you have a lot of things incorrect.
-The augmentations the IIIs got were only better than the Spartan-IIs because they provided the same results with not as strict genetic requirements, and because they had a 100% success rate.
-The only Spartan-IIIs to recieve illegal brain mutagens in their augmentations were Gamma Company, and they could function well without the smoothers for some time.
-Spartan-IIIs did not naturally have psychological issues, that is completely false. The only ones ever to show any bit of metal issues were Emile and Lucy, both of which were extremely minor.
Finally, Locke could definitely compete with a Spartan-III in GEN2, as could Buck, they aren't pushovers.
Vexxumus wrote:
Spartan II and III are both children trained to be soldiers. The difference is the armor. III's don't have full power armor and II's do....Spartan IV's are a mix of II's and III's while most are experienced soldiers given a augmentations and power armor while in adulthood. The augmentations take years to get use to and the longer you have them the better they become. Therefore on a level playing field with all the same armor. I would say II's and III's are even in some areas while the IV's don't come close.
Some IIIs have full MJOLNIR.

Also the augmentations are never stated to take years to get used to/have full effects come into play
All the IIIs have GEN2 MJOLNIR now.
Was referring to the the Cat2s during the war, but you are very correct.
I say Spartan II or III because they are trained from a younger age rather then a spartan IV which are trained as adults
Vexxumus wrote:
Spartan II and III are both children trained to be soldiers. The difference is the armor. III's don't have full power armor and II's do....Spartan IV's are a mix of II's and III's while most are experienced soldiers given a augmentations and power armor while in adulthood. The augmentations take years to get use to and the longer you have them the better they become. Therefore on a level playing field with all the same armor. I would say II's and III's are even in some areas while the IV's don't come close.
Some IIIs have full MJOLNIR.

Also the augmentations are never stated to take years to get used to/have full effects come into play
All the IIIs have GEN2 MJOLNIR now.
Technically, the Spartan IIIs are the best (the two or three surviving ones anyway). Here's why: First, they were trained at a young age similar to the Spartan IIs. Second, they were personally trained by a Spartan II and Chief Franklin Mendez, the original trainer of the SIIs. Third, the training regimens are tougher and after Alpha company, emphasized team cohesion. Fourth, after decades of refinement, the augmentation procedures are superior to the SIIs' and result in far fewer casualties. Fifth, like the SIIs, the augmentations are applied to prepubescent adolescents which enhances the augs' bond. Sixth; the illegal neural mutations which allow the SIIIs to maintain 100% efficiency under extreme stress and function long after asking fatal trauma are game changers. Their SPI armor was s***ty but couple the SIIIs with any variant of Gen 2 MJOLNIR and you have a fearsome fighter, indeed. The only downside to the SIIIs is that they are mentally unstable; driven by pain and revenge because of the destruction of their homeworlds by the Covenant; this is only exacerbated by the neural augmentations. Seeing as how 343 killed off Team Saber, we are left with only Tom and Lucy. Lucy is a basket case, so that leaves only Tom to continue the fight. I'm sure he can kick the crap of any Spartan IV--including any clown from Osiris.
Two or three surviving? The hell are you talking about.
Jun-A266
Tom-B292
Lucy-B091
Spartan-B170
Olivia-G291
Ash-G099
Mark-G313
Team Katana (5 Spartans)
Another 300 in Gamma Company, unconfirmed how many are alive, probably a lot as it is implied they were out into the Spartan Branch or ONI in large numbers.
Gauntlet Team (6 Spartans) *I said 6 for these 3 teams because they were specialized teams like Noble Team, they were under SPECWARCOM so I assumed similar structure.
Echo Team (6 Spartans)
Red Team (6 Spartans)
13 Headhunters
So yeah, way more than two or three. Also you really must not be that informed, Team Saber isn't dead, read Last Light. And more info in general you have a lot of things incorrect.
-The augmentations the IIIs got were only better than the Spartan-IIs because they provided the same results with not as strict genetic requirements, and because they had a 100% success rate.
-The only Spartan-IIIs to recieve illegal brain mutagens in their augmentations were Gamma Company, and they could function well without the smoothers for some time.
-Spartan-IIIs did not naturally have psychological issues, that is completely false. The only ones ever to show any bit of metal issues were Emile and Lucy, both of which were extremely minor.
Finally, Locke could definitely compete with a Spartan-III in GEN2, as could Buck, they aren't pushovers.
I was just highlighting the overall strengths of the SIII program. I know Jun is from Alpha Company and Tom and Lucy are Beta. An yes, only Gamma has the neural augs. The augmentation process wasn't perfected until Gamma Company as well--there were still some "washouts" in Alpha and Beta. I don't know where you got your info, but the only surviving SIIIs are Tom, Lucy and Jun. and maybe you're right about Osiris being a match for some SIIIs--only a Gamma SIII would have a guaranteed edge over them...and they're all dead.
Why all the hate for Spartan IV's? Just because they aren't like II's or III's doesnt mean they arent interesting.
Vexxumus wrote:
Spartan II and III are both children trained to be soldiers. The difference is the armor. III's don't have full power armor and II's do....Spartan IV's are a mix of II's and III's while most are experienced soldiers given a augmentations and power armor while in adulthood. The augmentations take years to get use to and the longer you have them the better they become. Therefore on a level playing field with all the same armor. I would say II's and III's are even in some areas while the IV's don't come close.
I was just highlighting the overall strengths of the SIII program. I know Jun is from Alpha Company and Tom and Lucy are Beta. An yes, only Gamma has the neural augs. The augmentation process wasn't perfected until Gamma Company as well--there were still some "washouts" in Alpha and Beta. I don't know where you got your info, but the only surviving SIIIs are Tom, Lucy and Jun. and maybe you're right about Osiris being a match for Osiris--only a Gamma SIII would have a guaranteed edge over them...and they're all dead.
No they aren't? Again have you read Halo: Last Light? Team Saber isn't dead, they and the rest of the Gamma Company IIIs were marked KIA in official records to allow them to operate covertly without any risk of exposing their illegal brain mutations.
http://www.halopedia.org/Team_Saber
Also the augmentations of the Spartan-IIIs, Project: CHRYSANTHEMUM, were 100% successful the first time. Alpha and Beta had no augmentation washouts, they had preliminary training washouts due to the training being tougher and the canidates being slightly younger than the Spartan-II canidates.
Also, 300 of the 315 Spartan-III Gamma Company members were deployed from Onyx to battlefields during the war, the remaining 15 stayed on Onyx to compete for the Company's top honors. Those 15 were Teams Saber, Gladius and Katana. Gladius was wiped out, two members of Saber were KIA, and Katana ended up in Cryo sleep. When they were rescued from Onyx, Team Katana was supposedly resucitated.

The teams mentioned in Reach; Gauntlet, Red and Echo, all helped civilians off of Reach. With the deployment general withdrawal of most of the UNSC a forces at the time, it's safe to say they escaped.

17 Headhunters were in rotation as of 2552; Jonah, Roland and two others were KIA, there are no records of the others dying. 13 by the end of the war. And actually, you assume the role of a Spartan-III Headhunter team in Spartan Strike, so they are still active post war.
And Gamma's brain mutations would only help extremely against a Spartan-IV of they were on the verge of going into shock, they main purpose of them was to help the Gamma IIIs continue fighting and almost immune to pain when they were probably about to die. Dante was able to keep fighting for a few minutes with a gaping hope in his side. If the Spartan-III was close enough to death to have the extreme benefits kick in, then it probably wasn't going well for the III.
SIIs, they were trained harder and more efficiently than the other 2 branches. That being said, they have more survivors than the SIIIs. Tho the SIVs prioritize in their armor and spartan abilities. SIIs & SIIIs have more experience & were taught better in my opinion. More or less "Experience vs. Rookies"
SIIs, they were trained harder and more efficiently than the other 2 branches. That being said, they have more survivors than the SIIIs. Tho the SIVs prioritize in their armor and spartan abilities. SIIs & SIIIs have more experience & were taught better in my opinion. More or less "Experience vs. Rookies"
The IIIs had the toughest training, it was acknowledged by Kurt-051 in Ghosts Of Onyx that the Spartan-III training was tougher to make up for time they didn't have. And there are more Spartan-III survivors than there are Spartan-II survivors, we just don't know much about them.
Technically, the Spartan IIIs are the best (the two or three surviving ones anyway). Here's why: First, they were trained at a young age similar to the Spartan IIs. Second, they were personally trained by a Spartan II and Chief Franklin Mendez, the original trainer of the SIIs. Third, the training regimens are tougher and after Alpha company, emphasized team cohesion. Fourth, after decades of refinement, the augmentation procedures are superior to the SIIs' and result in far fewer casualties. Fifth, like the SIIs, the augmentations are applied to prepubescent adolescents which enhances the augs' bond. Sixth; the illegal neural mutations which allow the SIIIs to maintain 100% efficiency under extreme stress and function long after asking fatal trauma are game changers. Their SPI armor was s***ty but couple the SIIIs with any variant of Gen 2 MJOLNIR and you have a fearsome fighter, indeed. The only downside to the SIIIs is that they are mentally unstable; driven by pain and revenge because of the destruction of their homeworlds by the Covenant; this is only exacerbated by the neural augmentations. Seeing as how 343 killed off Team Saber, we are left with only Tom and Lucy. Lucy is a basket case, so that leaves only Tom to continue the fight. I'm sure he can kick the crap of any Spartan IV--including any clown from Osiris.
When referring to Tom and Lucy, and Saber Team, they are the only Spartan III's we know of atm. 343 is fully capable of whipping out other Spartan III's as possibly those who were headhunters or like with the case of Noble Team, exceptional Spartans who were removed for other purposes.
IV are cannon fodder during game gameplay, they're just evolved spartan III's
The IIs and IIIs are pretty even, though I think the IIs' augmentations are slightly superior. Even if that's not true, they still have 30+ years of combat experience, so I'm gonna agree with you and say that they're the best.

IVs are easily the worst and really shouldn't even be called Spartans.
I agree II and III are far more experianced and kick -Yoink-, spartan IVs just suck eggs.
SIIs, they were trained harder and more efficiently than the other 2 branches. That being said, they have more survivors than the SIIIs. Tho the SIVs prioritize in their armor and spartan abilities. SIIs & SIIIs have more experience & were taught better in my opinion. More or less "Experience vs. Rookies"
I thought there were more SIII survivor than SII? I thought most SII were killed during the battle of reach?
IV are cannon fodder during game gameplay, they're just evolved spartan III's
Gameplay isn't canon. The concept of creating a large amount of Spartan super soldiers is the same but the IVs are not created with a low budget in mind.
Lucy is a basket case, so that leaves only Tom to continue the fight. I'm sure he can kick the crap of any Spartan IV--including any clown from Osiris.
Hardly. Ghosts of Onyx and Last Light showed that Lucy can handle herself perfectly well in combat. It was only Karen Traviss who portrayed her as this hyper-volatile snowflake, but pretty much everyone was acting wildly out of character in that book so that hate crime of a characterization can easily be shrugged off as the usual Traviss stupidity.
IV are cannon fodder during game gameplay, they're just evolved spartan III's
Gameplay isn't canon. The concept of creating a large amount of Spartan super soldiers is the same but the IVs are not created with a low budget in mind.
The games are the highest form of canon are they not?
DreadGrunt wrote:
IV are cannon fodder during game gameplay, they're just evolved spartan III's
Gameplay isn't canon. The concept of creating a large amount of Spartan super soldiers is the same but the IVs are not created with a low budget in mind.
The games are the highest form of canon are they not?
As far as transpiring events go yes, but there are inconsistencies. For example; a single bolt from a plasma rifle could blow your head clean off, and Spartan IVs are a lot more than "cannon fodder".

How anyone could describe Spartan IVs as cannon fodder after Halo 5's introductory cutscene is beyond me.
DreadGrunt wrote:
IV are cannon fodder during game gameplay, they're just evolved spartan III's
Gameplay isn't canon. The concept of creating a large amount of Spartan super soldiers is the same but the IVs are not created with a low budget in mind.
The games are the highest form of canon are they not?
That's not how it works. Events and stuff shown are canon, things you do separate from actual events are not canon.
In terms of physical capabilities (Strength, speed, durability):

III (Gamma only) > II > III > VI

In terms of training and experience:

II > III > VI

In terms of performance and success over all:

II > III > II

In terms of armour and equipment:

VI > II > III (with the exception of Noble Team)

Hope that helps, if you have any contradictions please reply :)
Impressive list!

Using it (along with my own thoughts), II's are definitely the best, followed by III's and finally IV's.

Really, the Spartan legacy has progressively deteriorated through the years, but remains one of the best parts of Halo's story.

Spartan II's being abducted and trained to be the ultimate soldiers and teammates, not to mention their physical capabilities, the proven track record of success, and the saving of the human race... it isn't really all that close. They were literally bred to be perfect. So even though their armor and what not was technically inferior, they could still easily wipe out the IV's, for example, from superior strategy, tactics, and skill.

I don't know much about III's to be honest, but enough to know that they included key figures like Noble 6, so, yeah...

The IV's are basically just ODST's who've volunteered for the project and have superior gear. Such as Buck. So while I like them and think the idea of mass-producing Spartans is a cool concept for the natural progression of the Halo lore, they don't hold a candle to the previous versions of the Spartan program. Besides the I's of course. If it was Cortana and her AI vs. Spartan IV's, I think we'd be screwed. With the Chief and Blue Team, we have a huge asset to turn the tide against her.

They're all various levels of greatness though. Even the least of them (the IV's) are pretty legendary - don't forget the opening cinematic to Halo 5.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13