Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Spartan Training Program

OP Earthskunky1968

Quote:
YOU HAVE BEEN CALLED UPON TO SERVE...
Note: I am simply looking for feedback. These are big goals, but they are very possible.

Hey guys, here is an interesting idea that I hope would result in an actual training program for people to follow. I am looking to create a program that aims to train people like the Spartans trained. This is gonna be intense, focused heavily on a healthy diet and ensuring peak human condition. That means strength, explosiveness, speed, and a well-conditioned body. I personally plan to use this to feel better about myself. I am 5' 10" with no hope of playing a college sport at that height, but dammit if Spartan Lucy was only 5'3" then we can all be badasses no matter our genetics.
I myself am no expert, simply self-taught. I was planning on bouncing around ideas until we can finalize a plan. So to start:

Strength and Explosion:
This one is simple...kinda. A human can be strong but certainly no bodybuilder. Most modern body builders are horrible runners and as such we are aiming towards a more athletic build. I also want to ensure that we are strong physically but no overdoing it. As such: I looked into some more athletic receivers and running backs within colleges and the NFL. I came up with reasonable maxes that we, as normal humans, can achieve with grit and determination.
Bench: 400 pounds
Squat: 600 pounds
Clean: 350 pounds
Dead Lift: 500 pounds
These four lifts are the lifts I have chosen for these reasons:
-Bench is an accurate measurement of your upper body. If it's still around in 2525, it is a good workout.
-Squat is a core lift: ideal for developing a strong lower body, core, back, and overall body. Your legs and core power everything.
-Clean is a measure of pure explosive power. Practice this with good form and you can develop the motor needed to do anything. It can also strengthen the core and balance.
-Dead Lift is a classic lift to test the power you can generate off of the ground. It also strengthens your back and provides a strong foundation for more all physical activity.
It should also be noted that these four lifts are not the only four you should do. Focusing on all the parts of the body is ideal, as you need to build for yourself a strong body. Also: dumbbell bench and incline are ideal workouts. I am not gonna put together any formal workout plan just yet.

Speed and Agility:
We may never be as fast as Kelly (Or hell, any spartan for that matter!), but we sure as hell can try. Speed focuses on our fast twitch muscle fibers, best trained with short bursts of energy, with high intensity. As such, we shall focus on basic training used by all sports: sprints.
Sprints can be done at any distance, though ideally, we want to run no more than about 40 yards. As for agility: quickly turning directions are a must for an ideal human. Quick feet are as well. We can train all of these with simple cone drills, sprints, and more. Again: I am not listing the exact workouts, but here are some goals:
40 Yard Sprint: 4.6 seconds
5 10 5: 4.55 seconds
100 Meter: 11 seconds
Anybody that wishes to add to these are welcome: I don't have the best experience here.

Conditioning:

This is fairly simple. Running for distance over a set time. 30 minutes of jogging at a constant pace is good, and we can set a goal for a mile time as well:
Mile: 5 minutes 30 seconds.

Extra:
All of this should be met with a solid stretching routine and a solid recovery schedule. The Spartans cannot physically achieve what they did without both. A healthy diet is also required, with good carbs and protein to keep the body fueled. And probably 5 to 7 meals a day. Daily ab work is also a must, in order to ensure core strength. Finally: SLEEP. Get plenty of sleep. The human body is capable of many things, and the Spartans knew how to use that to their advantage. Who knows, maybe all this badass training will come in handy some day.
Quote:
Note: I am simply looking for feedback. These are big goals, but they are very possible.

Hey guys, here is an interesting idea that I hope would result in an actual training program for people to follow. I am looking to create a program that aims to train people like the Spartans trained. This is gonna be intense, focused heavily on a healthy diet and ensuring peak human condition. That means strength, explosiveness, speed, and a well-conditioned body. I personally plan to use this to feel better about myself. I am 5' 10" with no hope of playing a college sport at that height, but dammit if Spartan Lucy was only 5'3" then we can all be badasses no matter our genetics.
I myself am no expert, simply self-taught. I was planning on bouncing around ideas until we can finalize a plan. So to start:

Strength and Explosion:This one is simple...kinda. A human can be strong but certainly no bodybuilder. Most modern body builders are horrible runners and as such we are aiming towards a more athletic build. I also want to ensure that we are strong physically but no overdoing it. As such: I looked into some more athletic receivers and running backs within colleges and the NFL. I came up with reasonable maxes that we, as normal humans, can achieve with grit and determination.
-Bench is an accurate measurement of your upper body. If it's still around in 2525, it is a good workout.
-Squat is a core lift: ideal for developing a strong lower body, core, back, and overall body. Your legs and core power everything.
-Clean is a measure of pure explosive power. Practice this with good form and you can develop the motor needed to do anything. It can also strengthen the core and balance.
-Dead Lift is a classic lift to test the power you can generate off of the ground. It also strengthens your back and provides a strong foundation for more all physical activity.
It should also be noted that these four lifts are not the only four you should do. Focusing on all the parts of the body is ideal, as you need to build for yourself a strong body. Also: dumbbell bench and incline are ideal workouts. I am not gonna put together any formal workout plan just yet.

Speed and Agility:We may never be as fast as Kelly (Or hell, any spartan for that matter!), but we sure as hell can try. Speed focuses on our fast twitch muscle fibers, best trained with short bursts of energy, with high intensity. As such, we shall focus on basic training used by all sports: sprints.
Sprints can be done at any distance, though ideally, we want to run no more than about 40 yards. As for agility: quickly turning directions are a must for an ideal human. Quick feet are as well. We can train all of these with simple cone drills, sprints, and more. Again: I am not listing the exact workouts, but here are some goals:
Anybody that wishes to add to these are welcome: I don't have the best experience here.

Conditioning:This is fairly simple. Running for distance over a set time. 30 minutes of jogging at a constant pace is good, and we can set a goal for a mile time as well:

Extra:All of this should be met with a solid stretching routine and a solid recovery schedule. The Spartans cannot physically achieve what they did without both. A healthy diet is also required, with good carbs and protein to keep the body fueled. And probably 5 to 7 meals a day. Daily ab work is also a must, in order to ensure core strength. Finally: SLEEP. Get plenty of sleep. The human body is capable of many things, and the Spartans knew how to use that to their advantage. Who knows, maybe all this badass training will come in handy some day.
I would love if someone would build this workout and post it! I have been trying to find the motivation to start working out and getting into shape. Nothing like looking at my notes and read "Spartan Workout Plan" To get me off my -Yoink- and motivated!
Quote:

Strength and Explosion:This one is simple...kinda. A human can be strong but certainly no bodybuilder. Most modern body builders are horrible runners and as such we are aiming towards a more athletic build. I also want to ensure that we are strong physically but no overdoing it. As such: I looked into some more athletic receivers and running backs within colleges and the NFL. I came up with reasonable maxes that we, as normal humans, can achieve with grit and determination.

Speed and Agility:We may never be as fast as Kelly (Or hell, any spartan for that matter!), but we sure as hell can try. Speed focuses on our fast twitch muscle fibers, best trained with short bursts of energy, with high intensity. As such, we shall focus on basic training used by all sports: sprints.

Conditioning:This is fairly simple. Running for distance over a set time. 30 minutes of jogging at a constant pace is good, and we can set a goal for a mile time as well:

Extra:All of this should be met with a solid stretching routine and a solid recovery schedule. The Spartans cannot physically achieve what they did without both. A healthy diet is also required, with good carbs and protein to keep the body fueled. And probably 5 to 7 meals a day. Daily ab work is also a must, in order to ensure core strength. Finally: SLEEP. Get plenty of sleep. The human body is capable of many things, and the Spartans knew how to use that to their advantage. Who knows, maybe all this badass training will come in handy some day.
I would love if someone would build this workout and post it! I have been trying to find the motivation to start working out and getting into shape. Nothing like looking at my notes and read "Spartan Workout Plan" To get me off my -Yoink- and motivated!
Spartan.com got me in to shape. They have free workouts and a good goal... Their races. :P I found them looking up Spartans.
Sorry for being so late to this thread. Definitely love the idea. I've been looking heavily at the Spartans as influence for my current physical goals as a police recruit. One thing I'd like to mention. Your spot on with most of your findings, but id have to say the numbers on your squat and deadlift should be flipped. If your training both properly your more likely to deadlift more than you'll squat. Trust me when I say a 500lb squat is insane. My current max is around 400 and that's -Yoinking!- hard as hell and I'm naturally pretty damn strong. And if anyone is interested I could put together a workout plan designed to get you at least close to those results if not hit them dead on. Just let me know.