Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Locked] Spartan-V Program

OP Sydney B021

What would Spartan-V's be like? (This question is open-ended; I am not looking for a specific answer. Just describe what you think/ want the next generation of Spartans to be like.)
There is already a topic discussing a potential Spartan-V program.
I think at this point, there's really no point to numbering any future programs. The four known programs all had very distinctive elements that made them unique:
  • S1 involved limited augmentation of volunteers
  • S2 kidnapped children to augment them to fight the Innies
  • S3 kidnapped orphaned children to augment them to fight the Covies
  • S4 went back to volunteers but included the enhanced augmentations of previous programs
So where do we go from here? It seems like S4 is the theoretical ceiling for program iterations. Any advances made could just be considered changes to the S4 platform rather than a new platform unto itself. So going forward, it might just be better to call them all Spartans and leave it at that.
I made a fan story (not to be publicized) about SPARTAN-Vs. They're recruited and trained like SPARTAN-IVs, but they have the abilities of SPARTAN-IIs.
Though this guy is right...
I think at this point, there's really no point to numbering any future programs. The four known programs all had very distinctive elements that made them unique:
  • S1 involved limited augmentation of volunteers
  • S2 kidnapped children to augment them to fight the Innies
  • S3 kidnapped orphaned children to augment them to fight the Covies
  • S4 went back to volunteers but included the enhanced augmentations of previous programs
So where do we go from here? It seems like S4 is the theoretical ceiling for program iterations. Any advances made could just be considered changes to the S4 platform rather than a new platform unto itself. So going forward, it might just be better to call them all Spartans and leave it at that.
SPARTAN -Vs are an entertaining thought, but not an idea that will come to life in the forseeable future. At least we have the Mjolnir (GEN3) right now.
One of the disappointing matters that have been included with the IV series seems to be this idea that anyone can be a Spartan. This was the case with Buck who refused to join unless they brought one of his fellow troops so they basically said mmm...okay. Here is a fact from current times that will without a doubt apply in the future. You cannot mass-produce Special Forces. There was no selection process apparently for his team-mate. They simply agreed as a matter of inducting Buck.

I dislike the idea that full grown adults can be engineered as Spartans. It doesn't make as much sense from a scientific point of view as does enhancing children at a state in their development that allows their bodies to accommodate the augmentations.

Also 343 needs to get a grip on the mentality of the most highly trained operators the human race could produce. The scenes we witnessed of Spartan IVs at the beginning of Halo 4 made me in a few other people want to retch. The individuals that were supposed to be Spartans were acting like some raw recruits spending their first week in the 82nd. Braggarts that were slaves to their hormones rather than quiet professionals. Juvenile idiots and hardly representative of the type of seriousness required to handle the most sensitive and dangerous missions the UNSC could offer. This isn't to say that Spartans do not have a sense of humor but what we saw there was adolescent mentality at best. Sophomoric and completely out of line. This doesn't mean they have to be abrasive like Sarah Palmer either. One can be direct and firm, sure of themselves and their authority without being a complete jerk.

I would also like to see the armor return to something that appears to be slightly more functional and less garish. The armor needs to be protective while not appearing to be something that would get hung up on every nearby piece of equipment. I can't get Palmer's shoulderu guards out of my head. I just imagine her trying to rush off the back of a Pelican and getting snagged by anything nearby that happened to be sticking out more than a few inches. When you're packed in with a lot of other troops and or equipment, the last thing you wanted to do is get hung up on the gear of the person next to you. Yes it's a science fiction story and yes it's a video game but it's science fiction, not fantasy fiction. HALO did a wonderful job in the early years maintaining some sort of believability. It greatly enhances the level of immersion in the game world. I would like to see them return to this.
SMOK69KMK wrote:
There is already a topic discussing a potential Spartan-V program.
^ feel free to continue discussion in this thread