Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Survivors of War?

OP Noobbula

So, I was sitting around, wondering about the Covenant War, and I asked 'Did any UNSC unit survive throughout the entirety of the war?' I came here because I figured you fellow nerds are bound to have a answer from somewhere. Feel free to post thoughts below.
Sgt Johnson was on Harvest when the Covenant attacked, marking the beginning of the war in 2525, and he served clear through until the very final fight of the war, on the Ark in 2552. He survived the entire length of the war, but did die at the end of it.
R.I.P Johnson.. Idk I think Alpha 9 technically made it through, since it was reformed after H5
Noobbula wrote:
R.I.P Johnson.. Idk I think Alpha 9 technically made it through, since it was reformed after H5
Well the unit designation Alpha-9 survived through the war, but its roster varied considerably. Remember at the beginning of ODST when Dare asked Buck if the other team members were "replacements"? Buck responds with something like "this far into the war, who isn't?". Buck even interviewed each of the members just before the events of ODST to find out who would be a good fit for their mission in New Mombasa.
As a unit, I suppose, one might consider "Spirit of Fire" as having survived the Human-Covenant War, as a unit anyway (obviously there were casualties). By Captain Cutter's recollection, was he at Harvest? In any case, they fought most of the War.
Zachu511 wrote:
As a unit, I suppose, one might consider "Spirit of Fire" as having survived the Human-Covenant War, as a unit anyway (obviously there were casualties). By Captain Cutter's recollection, was he at Harvest? In any case, they fought most of the War.
By the way, what is the troop complement of the SoF?
Noobbula wrote:
Zachu511 wrote:
By the way, what is the troop complement of the SoF?
According to Warfleet, the Spirit of Fire has the following complement:
  • 3,500 naval personnel
  • 1 UEG representative
  • 6,000 marines
  • 2,000 army soldiers
  • 1,000 ODSTs
As for vehicles:
  • 10 Heron heavy-lift drop ships
  • 6 Albatros cargo drop ships
  • 56 Darter cargo drop ships
  • 70 Pelican drop ships
  • 178 Warthogs
  • 93 Scorpions
  • 600 SOEIVs
Well, the Master Chief and the remaining Spartan-IIs are also survivors. I don't know if the Spirit of Fire counts as they were pretty much off the board for the entirety of it. They only fought at the beginning.

Lord Hood, Margaret Parangansky (or however you spell her name). Captain Lasky, Captain Del Rio, Doctor Halsey...Is Chief Mendez still alive or did he die in the unneeded sequel to Ghosts of Onyx?

Isn't Admiral Cole supposed to be floating around somewhere out there now?

So plenty of characters survived the entirety of the war.
Any unit consisting of Marines or ODST's who participated in the First Battle of Harvest to the Battle of Earth in 2552 or hell, even Installation 00 would certainly be a rarity. Discounting the obvious Spartan II's and highranking UNSC personal. I'd suspect most units were wiped out during the duration of the war with the Fall of Reach being the nail in the coffin with the millions of assets lost in the defense of Reach.