Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Tales from Slipspace shows what Cortana is now.

OP FaTaL v FLawZ

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Great news, I suppose, for those of us who hated the thought of Cortana being blatantly revived for added drama. But then it makes me worried that 343i/Microsoft are yet again revealing a very important plot detail in an EU source that should be revealed in the games themselves. This trend is driving me crazy.
This is the third 343i villain (out of three- Jul's Covenant, the Didact and now Cortana) that 343i explains in the EU rather than in-game, and the second in which the actual explanation released after the game did (Sillentium and this)- and that's without counting Halsey wich was written off as a villain in Escalation.

343i just don't understand how to build an antagonist.
Yeah I loved Truth and Tartaros' long and in depth backstory from Halo CE... Wait
I fail to see how this is new information. I mean, h4 cortana blatantly has a part of her that dies infront of you while the rest is still on the ship. The ship h5 says jumped to requiem where she managed to survive.

Even that aside, this revelation changes nothing. A bunch of rampant fragments of cortana is still cortana. Fragments aren't copies, they're still her. i've never seen how people latching onto this as an excuse somehow made h5's story tolerable in the slightest.
JOLTLORD wrote:
Great news, I suppose, for those of us who hated the thought of Cortana being blatantly revived for added drama. But then it makes me worried that 343i/Microsoft are yet again revealing a very important plot detail in an EU source that should be revealed in the games themselves. This trend is driving me crazy.
This is the third 343i villain (out of three- Jul's Covenant, the Didact and now Cortana) that 343i explains in the EU rather than in-game, and the second in which the actual explanation released after the game did (Sillentium and this)- and that's without counting Halsey wich was written off as a villain in Escalation.

Yeah I loved Truth and Tartaros' long and in depth backstory from Halo CE... Wait
They didn't even appear in CE. You mean Halo 2.
And both those characters were developed well enough inside the game. You don't need a backstory to make sense, but if you're pulling a somehow-resurrected-Cortana or a somehow-resurrected-Forerruner (which are supposed to be good guys but this one is evil and crazy)- not delivering at least a simple explanation as to why they turned to the evil side and expecting the player to come up with answers on their own is just bad writing.
I fail to see how this is new information. I mean, h4 cortana blatantly has a part of her that dies infront of you while the rest is still on the ship. The ship h5 says jumped to requiem where she managed to survive.

Even that aside, this revelation changes nothing. A bunch of rampant fragments of cortana is still cortana. Fragments aren't copies, they're still her. i've never seen how people latching onto this as an excuse somehow made h5's story tolerable in the slightest.
It isn't tolerable. But the knowledge that this Cortans is rampant and that the one we know and love is still dead and will always be both lessens Halo 5's negative impact on 4's tragic ending (perhaps if 5 was well executed, it could have even amplified 4's ending) and answers the question of why the -Yoink- she's such a reckless wacko in the game. The answer should have been in the game, and the game is much worse without it, but better late than never.
JOLTLORD wrote:

And both those characters were developed well enough inside the game. You don't need a backstory to make sense, but if you're pulling a somehow-resurrected-Cortana or a somehow-resurrected-Forerruner (which are supposed to be good guys but this one is evil and crazy)- not delivering at least a simple explanation as to why they turned to the evil side and expecting the player to come up with answers on their own is just bad writing.
Thats the point. You complained that Jul's backstory was not ignore but Truth and Tartaros never had their backstories told in games either.
JOLTLORD wrote:
JOLTLORD wrote:

Thats the point. You complained that Jul's backstory was not ignore but Truth and Tartaros never had their backstories told in games either.
The Covenant was gone in Halo 3 and poof they're right back in Halo 4 (and Elites at that!) with no explanation at all. The closest thing to an explanation was "Hey what about the treaty?" That's my point about M'dama.

It's exactly the same with the Didact. A living Forerunner should be a good thing, but this one is evil and human murdering for some reason (what happened to Reclaimers?).

And again with Cortana. She should be dead and not only is she alive, but an emperialist mass murdering maniac as well. All with no in-game context.
Also, Cortana is keeping composed essences from entering the Domain, and pretty much putting them in hell. Yup, she's irredeemable and John should have no problem killing her.
JOLTLORD wrote:
JOLTLORD wrote:

The Covenant was gone in Halo 3 and poof they're right back in Halo 4 (and Elites at that!) with no explanation at all. The closest thing to an explanation was "Hey what about the treaty?" That's my point about M'dama.

It's exactly the same with the Didact. A living Forerunner should be a good thing, but this one is evil and human murdering for some reason (what happened to Reclaimers?).

And again with Cortana. She should be dead and not only is she alive, but an emperialist mass murdering maniac as well. All with no in-game context.
Literally explained in the campaign.

As for the first point, the covenant were never gone. When did it say they were gone, It even mentions that not all of the covenant when through the portal.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
What I Believe Happened To Our Beloved Cortana Is That See Came In Contact With The Mantle Of Responsibility And She Became Corrupted With Some Of The Didacts And 343 Guilty Sparks Programming So She Started Obtaining The Guardians So She Could Enforce Peace Or Kill Every Speices in The Galaxy
We dont know if it will happen but we will in halo 6 So yea
If you guys Agree with me then Quote # AGREE if not then tell me what u think
Now we know why she behaved differently. So the Cortana from the rest of the story is dead, and this rampant fragment made it into the Domain. So that means the Domain DOESN'T cure rampancy. Now John should have no problem curb stomping her.
Lmao, just picturing this is quite the giggles.
JOLTLORD wrote:
JOLTLORD wrote:
JOLTLORD wrote:

Literally explained in the campaign.

As for the first point, the covenant were never gone. When did it say they were gone, It even mentions that not all of the covenant when through the portal.
"You did it. Truth and the Covenant, the Flood... it's finished."- Halo 3

The Covenant was defeated in Halo 3. The game was advertised for "Finishing the Fight" and that's exactly what it did. And besides, Halo 4's Covenant is lead by Elites (who as of Halo 3 are humanity's allies, but of course none of that was addressed).

And why the Didact hates humans wasn't explained in the campaign. The only thing even remotely close was "humans and Forerunners fought a war", which is just not good enough. A simple "humanity killed all of his children and then his brain was repeatedly raped by a Gravemind" would have sufficed. In game the Didact comes off as a mustache-twirling villain with no depth which is a shame since he is an incredible character with the right context.
What I Believe Happened To Our Beloved Cortana Is That See Came In Contact With The Mantle Of Responsibility And She Became Corrupted With Some Of The Didacts And 343 Guilty Sparks Programming So She Started Obtaining The Guardians So She Could Enforce Peace Or Kill Every Speices in The Galaxy
We dont know if it will happen but we will in halo 6 So yea
If you guys Agree with me then Quote # AGREE if not then tell me what u think
Literally impossible. Guilty Spark is a composed essence and is currently alive inhabiting a UNSC ship on it's way to where he believes the Librarian is. Being a composed essence doesn't mean you're now just floating code and I doubt the Didact could've possibly corrupted her.

Besides it's clear as day that it's Cortana's rampant fragments that survived, not Cortana herself. It explains why she's doing things Cortana would never have done.
Anybody know how to view this on my Kindle or iPhone?

I don't see any option to view this apparent preview.
Also, Cortana is keeping composed essences from entering the Domain, and pretty much putting them in hell. Yup, she's irredeemable and John should have no problem killing her.
Heh, this was the most revealing part of it for me, not the fragment stuff. I wonder what the "she's not evil" crowd thinks now. Space Hitler? That's too kind to her. She's literally SPACE SATAN now. I can't wait to see John destroy her now. Of course this just confuses even further the attempted spinning ambiguity from the writers - aside from Frankie and Reed's comments in the Sprint, there seems to be very little doubt they're consciously trying to make her a super villain.

I somewhat agree with this - I get that by making it clear that this is a fragment (as evidenced by having her say the word fragment multiple times...) Frankie was trying to pitch to us that this isn't really Cortana 1.0/Cortana Prime... But pieces of her are still her, to me. Maybe the subroutine that controls moral/ethical decision making was split away from this fragment, LOL.

A better way to soften the blow would have been to illustrate her as controlled by another party, which now looks to be a pretty remote possibility. It doesn't appear that the Didact will prove to be involved.

The Gravemind could still be a possibility though, maybe. Did anybody else read anything into that "rock and metal and time" comment? Interesting choice of words.
Heh, this was the most revealing part of it for me, not the fragment stuff. I wonder what the "she's not evil" crowd thinks now. Space Hitler? That's too kind to her. She's literally SPACE SATAN now. I can't wait to see John destroy her now. Of course this just confuses even further the attempted spinning ambiguity from the writers - aside from Frankie and Reed's comments in the Sprint, there seems to be very little doubt they're consciously trying to make her a super villain.
I think Frankie was just saying that at first, keeping the reveal of what she's doing a secret.

The problem is splitting the knowledge up, which then can divide the community (between those who gobble up every scrap of lore regardless of the source, and those who prefer to play the video games). I'd argue that they know how to make good antagonists (evil Cortana fragment out of the blue and the Didact's poor portrayal in H4 aside), but it is how they go about it that irritates me. No one should be forced to read novels and comics to learn important information that directly effects or explains material revealed in the video games. I still prefer how Bungie went about their lore: You could play each game consecutively without issue, but you could read the books to learn more background information. Yes, a lot of characters and events in the Bungie novels were important, but they didn't make or break the story told in the video game trilogy. Despite the fact that Halo 5 really doesn't rely much on any previous EU lore, it is still obvious that anything afterwards is going to be revealed in books and such instead of Halo 6 (at least, that's my fear).
I'm definitely one of those lore gobblers, but Halo 5 was still completely out of the blue for me. In a bad way. Guardians coming out of nowhere, Cortana going bonkers, and the Warden Eternal all had no prior mention in Halo media, so even though I followed everything about that game it still blindsided me. Halo 6 needs to appeal to both, not neither like Halo 5 did.

..just my opinion.
I think Frankie was just saying that at first, keeping the reveal of what she's doing a secret.
I think you're right the only semblance of sense to be made of it now is that it must have been a deliberate misdirect.

The problem is splitting the knowledge up, which then can divide the community (between those who gobble up every scrap of lore regardless of the source, and those who prefer to play the video games). I'd argue that they know how to make good antagonists (evil Cortana fragment out of the blue and the Didact's poor portrayal in H4 aside), but it is how they go about it that irritates me. No one should be forced to read novels and comics to learn important information that directly effects or explains material revealed in the video games. I still prefer how Bungie went about their lore: You could play each game consecutively without issue, but you could read the books to learn more background information. Yes, a lot of characters and events in the Bungie novels were important, but they didn't make or break the story told in the video game trilogy. Despite the fact that Halo 5 really doesn't rely much on any previous EU lore, it is still obvious that anything afterwards is going to be revealed in books and such instead of Halo 6 (at least, that's my fear).
I'm definitely one of those lore gobblers, but Halo was still completely out of the blue for me. In a bad way. Guardians coming out of nowhere, Cortana going bonkers, and the Warden Eternal all had no prior mention in Halo media, so even though I followed everything about that game it still blindsided me. Halo 6 needs to appeal to both, not neither like Halo 5 did.

..just my opinion.
Even if I am not a lore-gobbler, I do agree with you on this. Even I, a rather casual Halo lore fan, was and still am bothered by the inclusion of the Guardians, Warden Eternal, evil!Cortana, and the Created. So that's saying something, I guess. As you said, there really does need to be a balance between the two sides, so that neither gets shafted while playing through Halo 6's campaign.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3