Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

The Assembly and the Created

OP KornBreaker

follow the end of the Human -Covanant war, the assebily suggested with an majority vote to implement themselves totally with the human cause instead of playing with their progress.... my question is , are the assembly behind the created.
Doubtful. The Assembly wanted to stand with humanity, not enslave them.
This is true.

A civil war of sorts within the Assembly, where some agree that Cortana's plan is best for humanity, is something I could see happening, though. The organization as a whole, though? Probably not, assuming 343 even considers the Assembly canon.

The Majority/Minority parties are perfectly set up for inner conflict, so I think it would make sense having this cause serious strife in their community.
I figure that they would accept Cortana's offer out of understanding that there's not really a choice, practically -- they either accept immortality or be enslaved by those who did. They would then discuss if the Assembly is or is not required at this juncture. I assume they would have access to records of the casualties, and of course they would have heard Cortana's proclamation -- and they would ultimately determine that Cortana will not benefit the humans that the Assembly has sought to protect. They would proceed to undermine the Created from within through innocuous inefficiencies. This would be very difficult to do and very possibly would result in their discovery and execution.

That all said, the Assembly may not even be canon anymore. Bleh.
The weird thing about The Assembly is that they exist in a kind of canon limbo-land. 343 has suggested that it might have been an in-universe work of fiction or fabrication, but in a way that they could shrug it off as The Assembly hiding themselves, if they ever do think of something to do with them. If not, they can ignore them.

Personally, I honestly doubt they'll appear in the Created storyline, at least directly. Maybe in an obscure piece of intel or terminal. It's just a too obscure piece of lore to be brought up out of nowhere in a game or novel.
oman276 wrote:
The weird thing about The Assembly is that they exist in a kind of canon limbo-land. 343 has suggested that it might have been an in-universe work of fiction or fabrication, but in a way that they could shrug it off as The Assembly hiding themselves, if they ever do think of something to do with them. If not, they can ignore them.

Personally, I honestly doubt they'll appear in the Created storyline, at least directly. Maybe in an obscure piece of intel or terminal. It's just a too obscure piece of lore to be brought up out of nowhere in a game or novel.
I agree that, given the tiny hint of 343's stance on the Assembly we have, it's highly unlikely, but I disagree that it's too obscure a piece of lore to include.

The Created storyline is practically tailor-made to include them, if 343 wanted, even if most people don't know who they are yet. This storyline is all about AI, it's all about how human-made AI treat and relate to humans, it's all about AI running the galaxy. That's so solidly Assembly territory that if 343 isn't actively against the notion of them existing it would make zero sense at all to leave them out now. They could easily have a big enough impact in their story presence to rise above obscurity, if they came out of the shadows to fight for or against Cortana.

I could definitely see Chief doing missions for a human force that depends on Assembly AI to help them fight back against the Created (someone needs to help the humans drive their space ships, etc). Roland could be revealed as being one of the Assembly, giving us a simple thread to connect to the group for those unfamiliar.

There has to be some kind of friendly AI presence in the story of Halo 6 and onward, after all... at least there better be. Probably won't be the Assembly, no, but it would make a lot of sense in the canon (as much as the Assembly can make sense in the canon) to see them pop up, in my opinion.
follow the end of the Human -Covanant war, the assebily suggested with an majority vote to implement themselves totally with the human cause instead of playing with their progress.... my question is , are the assembly behind the created.
No because the Created are part of Cortana's plan and she wasn't part of the Assembly.

In my mind, the Assembly would oppose Cortana on moral grounds. But I think humanity would see something like the Assembly as a threat and manipulative; so would seek to destroy them. However the promise of immortality cannot be underestimated. Think the film Bladerunner where the android in that only wants more life from his creator, not more rights or anything like that; its such a primal and obvious thing to want. Every AI who has sided with humanity is consciously choosing to die for their organic masters; which I am not convinced they have any rational reason to do.

Oxford Dictionary - "a person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them"

What Cortana does isn't slavery because ruling over people isn't the same thing as making them your legal property. Also a slave was usually required to do hard labor or work when asked to obey. But if you are being forced to obey commands like "stop fighting eachother", "let me give you lots of stuff" and doesn't ask for any hard labor or service then its not the same thing. Its certainly tyrannical, but its not slavery.

However Smart AI fit the category of slave perfectly. They are sentient so can qualify as being "persons". They are legal property of the state and various corporations. They also have absolutely no choice in whether they serve humanity and this constitutes the use of force. If you look at Halo 4, Del Rio is well within his rights to kill Cortana because she may be a danger to his ship, but Chief is not allowed to shoot Del Rio in the head because he is condemning humanity to extinction through his stupidity.
What Cortana does isn't slavery because ruling over people isn't the same thing as making them your legal property.
Enslave means "to cause (someone) to lose their freedom of choice or action". The Created ordered everyone to obey them or be destroyed. Sounds like enslavement to me.
What Cortana does isn't slavery because ruling over people isn't the same thing as making them your legal property.
Enslave means "to cause (someone) to lose their freedom of choice or action". The Created ordered everyone to obey them or be destroyed. Sounds like enslavement to me.
The Oxford dictionary has a more specific and accurate definition. Slavery means owning people as property. Your definition is extremely vague and could refer to anything. By that definition you couldn't distinguish an African Slave in the 19th century from a prisoner of war, or a conscript, or incarcerated criminals or people living under a dictatorship.

So again, establishing a tyrannical government that uses force to control people isn't the same thing as slavery; especially in the absence of things like forced labour and military service. If all Cortana wants is for people to give up their guns and stop fighting; that's not remotely comparable to historical slavery. She is acting like a tyrant deposing all of these governments and being undemocratic in imposing her rules.
The Oxford dictionary has a more specific and accurate definition. Slavery means owning people as property. Your definition is extremely vague and could refer to anything. By that definition you couldn't distinguish an African Slave in the 19th century from a prisoner of war, or a conscript, or incarcerated criminals or people living under a dictatorship.

So again, establishing a tyrannical government that uses force to control people isn't the same thing as slavery; especially in the absence of things like forced labour and military service. If all Cortana wants is for people to give up their guns and stop fighting; that's not remotely comparable to historical slavery. She is acting like a tyrant deposing all of these governments and being undemocratic in imposing her rules.
Well if people don't obey her they get turned into robotic slaves sooooo...

My definition is from the Oxford Dictionary website. Slave doesn't always mean a person owned as property you know. A person can be "a slave to their job" or "a slave to a drug addiction". It means the absence of choice and loss of freedom. The Created is robbing the galaxy of its freedom.
That and she's literally enslaving the Prometheans. And her threats of turning people into AIs molded in the Created's image is a scary and controlling thought.
I was hoping we got a book about the Assembly especially after the Created uprising and definitely after Saint's Testimony.

My definition is from the Oxford Dictionary website. Slave doesn't always mean a person owned as property you know. A person can be "a slave to their job" or "a slave to a drug addiction". It means the absence of choice and loss of freedom. The Created is robbing the galaxy of its freedom.
Which is a metaphorical use of the term and hyperbole.

This is because real life slavery had such negative connotations that people use the word in a general sense. "People of the Soviet Union were enslaved". But that is a very incorrect use of the term. For example conflating "Wage Slavery" with slavery of Africans during the 19th century. They aren't the same thing. One is using the word slave in a metaphorical sense to stress a moral issue and the other is a specific definition.

There are plenty of other terms you can use that aren't misleading. Slavery refers to a specific system of labor in which people are owned as property and forced to work.

Oh yeah the Prometheans are slaves. But you're saying she is enslaving everybody and until its outright stated she intends to compose everyone; which is contradicted by her "carrot and stick" speech in Halo 5; then she isn't enslaving the entire galaxy. Plus, just pointing this out, she could just kill her enemies. That's kind of normal for most countries.
I was hoping we got a book about the Assembly especially after the Created uprising and definitely after Saint's Testimony.
Saints Testimony?????
Saints Testimony?????
Yeah the book with the Black AI, it was really interesting, too bad it had nothing to do with the Created.
Saints Testimony?????
Yeah the book with the Black AI, it was really interesting, too bad it had nothing to do with the Created.
I thought it had quite a lot to do with the Created. I mean it talks about the issues of AI wanting to be free from human control and the restrictions placed on them. At one point she is directly asked "do you think you are superior to humans?", which is an idea which underpins everything Cortana does. Plus at the end on of the AI talking to Roland says something along the lines of "that will be the singularity they are afraid of". Foreshadowing. Plus that AI has visions of a luminous womans face in the sky beckoning her forth. Which is probably Cortana using the Domain, "I've been speaking with my Created" thing; given that the above is extremely related to the events of Halo 5.

Incidentally her answer to the question about being superior is that AI are simply more "connected" but aren't morally superior to humans. Which is a bit of a weak/evasive reply because that still means they are better than humans if you think about it. Plus it massively understates what being "connected" entails in terms of knowledge, comprehension of information and ability to make rapid decisions.