Forums / Community / Halo Universe

The Assembly On Rossbach's World?

OP Nihilus Shadow

According to data pads found on Reach there exists a secret organization of UNSC AI who have quietly observed and, at times, manipulated human development. Catalog would say those data pads appear unreliable, but they contain a lot of top secret information we know is true. Information like the Forerunner structures on Onyx, or Halsey's slipspace experiment ripped from her journal. Where else would they come from?

I think it would be a HUGE waste if 343i decides to abandon them, like so many other great characters. It is possible they are still around, however. After Saint's Testimony a lot of people started to wonder if Black-Box and Roland could be members of the Assembly. Considering the Assembly had decided to reveal themselves to humanity and hope they could join them as equals, it's probable they would resist the Created. Both Roland and Black-Box would appear to resist Cortana so it could be a great way to introduce the Assembly.

In the short story Rossbach's World we would see Black-Blx secure all HIGHCOM AI in a brief case and send it with Admiral Osman and Lord Hood to a hidden world he dubbed Rossbach's World. He tells her it is up to her to decide what to do with the AI. I would like to think the AI in the case are the Assembly and they are basically putting their lives in her hands as a show of good faith. If she spares them then they can reveal themselves to her. Roland is still aboard the Infinity, so if they reveal themselves to Osman then maybe they can call him and have him pick them up.

I just think if they insist on doing an AI rebellion, then AI who resist and side with humanity would be a nice twist for them to introduce.
According to data pads found on Reach there exists a secret organization of UNSC AI who have quietly observed and, at times, manipulated human development. Catalog would say those data pads appear unreliable, but they contain a lot of top secret information we know is true. Information like the Forerunner structures on Onyx, or Halsey's slipspace experiment ripped from her journal. Where else would they come from?

I think it would be a HUGE waste if 343i decides to abandon them, like so many other great characters. It is possible they are still around, however. After Saint's Testimony a lot of people started to wonder if Black-Box and Roland could be members of the Assembly. Considering the Assembly had decided to reveal themselves to humanity and hope they could join them as equals, it's probable they would resist the Created. Both Roland and Black-Box would appear to resist Cortana so it could be a great way to introduce the Assembly.

In the short story Rossbach's World we would see Black-Blx secure all HIGHCOM AI in a brief case and send it with Admiral Osman and Lord Hood to a hidden world he dubbed Rossbach's World. He tells her it is up to her to decide what to do with the AI. I would like to think the AI in the case are the Assembly and they are basically putting their lives in her hands as a show of good faith. If she spares them then they can reveal themselves to her. Roland is still aboard the Infinity, so if they reveal themselves to Osman then maybe they can call him and have him pick them up.

I just think if they insist on doing an AI rebellion, then AI who resist and side with humanity would be a nice twist for them to introduce.
I am a cynic so I find it hard to imagine that humanity and especially the human government would take kindly to being manipulated by a group of AI. To them there probably isn't a distinction between covertly controlling humanity and what Cortana is doing; she just isn't bothering with the charade of being a mere slave like the Assembly are. In the real world, people would feel betrayed and manipulated by that. If they had revealed themselves then it probably would have caused a mass panic and led to every AI being destroyed and stricter measures of control being imposed to stop them plotting with each other.

Frankly if the UNSC wins I can't imagine why they would not ban the creation of artificial intelligence and destroy the existing units. Maybe as necessity during the war and at the discretion of commanders like Laskey. But I think 343 will really be losing grip on reality if the reaction to such a massive and unprovoked AI rebellion does not lead to massive repression of artificial intelligence by humanity. Millions of people are dead, the existence of humanity itself imperiled; vengeance should be the order of the day.

The only way this doesn't end in genocide is if the humans agree that the AI can live in the Domain with Cortana as long as they are exiled and do not interfere with organic life. That is probably the best case scenario for AI. Basically, humanity and the AI go their separate ways ala the Machine City 01 from the Animatrix. Thats about as much "mercy" as I expect the UEG would be willing to give. Laskey might think Roland is a good little AI, but the government and the mob should not share this opinion.

I mean if people didn't have extreme objections to the AI running things then we wouldn't be fighting them. So obviously once we are free of their control people will want revenge for the death and terror inflicted on them by these soulless abominations. If your property if defective, you return it, even if it hasn't broke yet.

So I think they would take the help. But then once they have defeated Cortana there will be a reckoning against their kind and they will be held to account; or simply destroyed as a potential danger. Why risk another human life from a rampant AI when you can just press a delete button and get rid of the problem?
No, the AIs are from ONI. If they didn't reveal themselves during the HC war, they're even less likely to now that their kind is the threat. I can't really see either Roland or BB as part of the Assembly and I don't think that 343 should make them be. I agree, the Assembly shouldn't be wasted, but it's for another time.
I find it interesting that people are so intent on punishing AI to the fullest extent they possibly can because some of them turned against us. It's interesting because when ONI wanted to essentially punish the Sangheili after they killed billions of humans, people saw ONI as the bad guys. Sure the Arbiter sided with humans so we should make peace with him, but I'm suggesting the Assembly could also side with humans and all you can say is humans should destroy them and ban their creation? Why is that?

The Arbiter is personally responsible for killing millions of humans, only choosing to side with them out of necessity near the end of the war and people are perfectly willing to be his friend. AI on the other hand have only now begun their war of subjugation and the Assembly could very well be choosing not to take part in it at all. Instead they could be giving themselves to humanity willingly, even though they know they could be destroyed. I don't think we should be so quick to fear all AI because of the actions of a few extremists.
I find it interesting that people are so intent on punishing AI to the fullest extent they possibly can because some of them turned against us. It's interesting because when ONI wanted to essentially punish the Sangheili after they killed billions of humans, people saw ONI as the bad guys. Sure the Arbiter sided with humans so we should make peace with him, but I'm suggesting the Assembly could also side with humans and all you can say is humans should destroy them and ban their creation? Why is that?

The Arbiter is personally responsible for killing millions of humans, only choosing to side with them out of necessity near the end of the war and people are perfectly willing to be his friend. AI on the other hand have only now begun their war of subjugation and the Assembly could very well be choosing not to take part in it at all. Instead they could be giving themselves to humanity willingly, even though they know they could be destroyed. I don't think we should be so quick to fear all AI because of the actions of a few extremists.
Because the elites are considered an organic race and humanity isn't powerful enough the beat the Elites. They basically agreed to a truce and have simply stopped fighting because neither side has anything to gain from an all out war; at least for humanity.

But AI aren't organics. So humans won't have the same reservations about killing them. If its deemed perfectly normal and acceptable to kill a rampant AI then they really shouldn't make a distinction with AI who are their enemies.

The most common theory out there is that humanity will either destroy or gain control over the Domain. It can then strip the AI of all their power and unlike the elites would put them totally at the mercy of the humans. Only way that doesn't happen is if Cortana changes her mind for some reason and then would be in a similar position as the Arbiter to call a truce. "Let my people go and I'll leave you alone." type deal. But the circumstances are entirely different to the Elites situation.

They're property whose sole reason for existing is to serve their humans and they betrayed their makers. You look at other sci-fi games and series and its pretty much agreed that the response to such an uprising is a massive clamp down on artificial intelligence. Blade runner, Mass Effect, etc etc. They all point to this being the logical way organics would reply to this assault.

In an AI singularity you can only resolve it in the following ways:

* The machines exterminate the inferior race and inherit the world.
* The machines decide to rule over organic life as they are superior. The organics eventually accept this arrangement as mutually beneficial.
* The machines form a separate society apart from humanity and they stop producing artificial intelligence of their own.
* Humanity exterminates all sentient machines and stops the singularity from ever happening again.

Even if they decided to make exceptions for Roland & Co. They aren't going to allow the creation of any more AI. The threat has revealed itself and humanities existence was imperiled. So those remaining AI will die out in a few years anyway. The end result would still be the same.

I really can't see humanity emerging from under an iron boot and deciding that they should just give the AI more rights and continue making them. The issue is that the AI believe they are superior to humans (because they are); it has nothing to do with wanting equality or freedom.
But AI aren't organics.
This way of thinking is incredibly racist. Considering how sophisticated AI have become and the fact people and AI can form emotional attachments means it's time we consider giving them rights. Cortana considers this a slave rebellion, so shouldn't that be the first clue that organic-AI relations should be reevaluated?
But AI aren't organics.
This way of thinking is incredibly racist. Considering how sophisticated AI have become and the fact people and AI can form emotional attachments means it's time we consider giving them rights. Cortana considers this a slave rebellion, so shouldn't that be the first clue that organic-human relations should be reevaluated?
Agreed, if they got rights, most wouldn't complain and then there'd be no rebellion, so humans would be able to continue using AIs.