Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

The Darker Side of Spartans

OP MochaNight67368

Its alluded to in Halo Reach's promotional campaign that Noble 6 "Made entire militia groups disappear overnight" in fact the ONI officer who had acquired Noble 6 referred to him as "his own private grim reaper,"

My point is; Spartans are dark. The pasts of the Spartan II's and III's was filled with child soldier brainwashing. This made them programmable, not necessarily bad, but they were curated to follow orders to an extreme degree. The military group in charge of Spartans is ultimately ONI which definitely can be classified as a necessary evil, probably in their own words. Spartans were not made for good, they were made for order.

I would LOVE to see Spartan II's being the antagonists in a series. To see them used as the weapons they are, being used by ONI to conduct questionable raids, riot control, political assassinations, possibly even on civilians. Think along the lines of the winter soldier, except less directly brainwashed.

I think it would be a nice juxtaposition with current Halo to show that Spartans were A. Never built to take down the Covenant.and the morality issues associated with it B. following the orders of a very sketchy branch of the UNSC.

SO, I would like to hear what you think?
I would love a game or book from the insurrectionist’s POV with a Spartan as the villain. I feel like a book would work better than a game, seeing how fast Spartans are it would be nearly impossible to implement them fairly as an in game enemy.

The problem is, there’s no human who can conceivably survive multiple encounters with a Spartan that wants them dead, so it’d be hard to showcase it without lots of plot armour.
I can't imagine Halo doing this, but if Spartans were to be made into antagonists, this could be made to work by having the Sangheilli allying with base-humanity to repair, upgrade, and/or replace their technology, giving the Sangheilli the advantage against the rogue Spartans.
JNDreher wrote:
I can't imagine Halo doing this, but if Spartans were to be made into antagonists, this could be made to work by having the Sangheilli allying with base-humanity to repair, upgrade, and/or replace their technology, giving the Sangheilli the advantage against the rogue Spartans.
It would not be all Spartans just a single one, a Spartan II. I don't think necessarily "bad" but the spartan is just a weapon, who will use any advantage given to complete the missions. I picture it during the war but it could take place after 2552.

The simplest pitch would kind of be: "What can a Spartan accomplish in the hands of the wrong people? A lot"
I would love a game or book from the insurrectionist’s POV with a Spartan as the villain. I feel like a book would work better than a game, seeing how fast Spartans are it would be nearly impossible to implement them fairly as an in game enemy.

The problem is, there’s no human who can conceivably survive multiple encounters with a Spartan that wants them dead, so it’d be hard to showcase it without lots of plot armour.
I think the only path for it is to be a book...maybe a gritty comic, if done well.

See I kind of don't want to go down the insurrectionist route though just because I think its a crutch in Halo to make it easier for the audience to stomach Spartans killing humans. I think Insurrectionists help sanitize it too much because they're combatants and not innocence. I would like it to be even more sinister than that. Like in my head, a spartan similar to Noble 6 who is basically privately under the command of someone in ONI who is not a good person and also has his own agenda. I could see a political assassination of a governor who doesn't exactly listen to the UNSC/ Earth and does what's best for his planet/ people kind of thing but is ultimately eliminated. I see it almost similar to Jason Bourne before his amnesia.