OP Tarandros Vaxal

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Do not make nonconstructive posts.

Spoiler:
Show
Glad I’m not the only person who is indeed confused with this cutscene. It could potentially just be for artistic style, but that holds little to no credibility whatsoever and also doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Along with the question you asked, I have another regarding this cutscene. Why is there a change from the ODST BDU from the cutscene itself, to a Marine BDU in the game. It’s canonicity is dubious if you ask me. That being said, it matches Stacker very perfectly with his canonical status being all over the place at this moment in time.

P.S I am not saying it’s non-canon as I don’t believe there is any official declaration of it being non-canon, but it is very confusing.
Glad I’m not the only person who is indeed confused with this cutscene. It could potentially just be for artistic style, but that holds little to no credibility whatsoever and also doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Along with the question you asked, I have another regarding this cutscene. Why is there a change from the ODST BDU from the cutscene itself, to a Marine BDU in the game. It’s canonicity is dubious if you ask me. That being said, it matches Stacker very perfectly with his canonical status being all over the place at this moment in time.

P.S I am not saying it’s non-canon as I don’t believe there is any official declaration of it being non-canon, but it is very confusing.
The wreckage that Chief starts the level in isn't the place in-question. The ODST's crash-site was somehwere else entirely, and I'm fairly certain we never see it, in game.
I think the main explanation is that they didn't really care a whole lot about canon, especially when making bonus segments like this. It was kind of the Bungie way. And when remastering it, Blur just didn't make the correction.

Considering it was just added to the Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack Expansion release when it came out, I don't think they went over everything with a fine-toothed comb. It was a fun little addition, and that was it.
People list him as a spec-ops Elite because he uses active camo, simple as that.

I don't think there's ever been any definitive statement that low-ranking Elites *never* use active camo, though, so I'm not sure it really follows.
Fuchsdh wrote:
People list him as a spec-ops Elite because he uses active camo, simple as that.

I don't think there's ever been any definitive statement that low-ranking Elites *never* use active camo, though, so I'm not sure it really follows.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't follow, as there's many reasons it doesn't fit.

The wreckage that Chief starts the level in isn't the place in-question. The ODST's crash-site was somehwere else entirely, and I'm fairly certain we never see it, in game.
When we get to hotel Zanzibar that is supposedly when we link up with the team of ODSTs. At least that’s how I saw it as. This is because Cortana tells the Marines (which ODSTs are), to stay put and that they (Chief and her) are going to come to them. I know we never see the crashsite in-game at least to my knowledge, but I interpreted those Marines we help in the hotel to be the ODST team, who aren’t in an ODST BDU but rather a Marine BDU, but some others have said that the cinematic scene doesn’t really match up to canon events, so it’s still got a dubious canonical status.
I wanted to address a discrepancy I found. In the cinematic in question, where those ODSTs get ambushed by a group of Covenant after their pelican was shot down, there is an Elite who serves as the "antagonist" for as long as he's around.

The Elite in question, for some mindboggling reason, is officially listed as a "Spec-Ops" Elite in every official wiki I've checked. My quibble is: "-Yoinking!- why?!".
Because an Elite Minor isn't a credible enough threat to realistically challenge 4 ODST's.
I wanted to address a discrepancy I found. In the cinematic in question, where those ODSTs get ambushed by a group of Covenant after their pelican was shot down, there is an Elite who serves as the "antagonist" for as long as he's around.

The Elite in question, for some mindboggling reason, is officially listed as a "Spec-Ops" Elite in every official wiki I've checked. My quibble is: "-Yoinking!- why?!".
Because an Elite Minor isn't a credible enough threat to realistically challenge 4 ODST's.
An Elite Minor manhandled two veteran ODSTs hand-to-hand in a comic. Besides, the Elite in the cinematic didn't even do particularly well, all things considered. If he's a Spec-Ops, then it's a bit of poor showing. If it's a Minor, then I'd say it's a below-average display.
Besides: we see Minors using Energy Swords in Halo Wars 1. And those guys were supposedly criminals in the service of a penile force!
Is this a misspelling of penal, or are you subtly calling the Hierarchs dickheads?

Anyway, here’s a breakdown of the evidence we have for the Elite’s rank:

Minor- The Elite looks like a Minor
- The Elite commands only a small force of Grunt Minors and a Jackal.

Spec-Ops- Absolutely none. Minors have been seen using energy swords in Halo Wars and Halo: Collateral Damage, and active camo in Halo Wars.
Cybermat47 wrote:
Besides: we see Minors using Energy Swords in Halo Wars 1. And those guys were supposedly criminals in the service of a penile force!
Is this a misspelling of penal, or are you subtly calling the Hierarchs dickheads?

Anyway, here’s a breakdown of the evidence we have for the Elite’s rank:

Minor- The Elite looks like a Minor
- The Elite commands only a small force of Grunt Minors and a Jackal.

Spec-Ops- Absolutely none. Minors have been seen using energy swords in Halo Wars and Halo: Collateral Damage, and active camo in Halo Wars.
Well, the Elites did call the Prophets "worm-necks" before the Writ of Union.
https://www.halopedia.org/Another_Day_at_the_Beach

That's better (for now at least).
Cybermat47 wrote:

You know... I did try to rectify that issue, myself, at least twenty times. But the site just reversed my edits a minute or two after I made them. On the page dedicated to Spec-Ops Elites, specifically, where they present a gallery of pictures.

An Elite Minor manhandled two veteran ODSTs hand-to-hand in a comic. Besides, the Elite in the cinematic didn't even do particularly well, all things considered. If he's a Spec-Ops, then it's a bit of poor showing. If it's a Minor, then I'd say it's a below-average display.
Then the comic is the one that doesn't make sense, not the day at the beach cutscene. An Elite Minor shouldn't be able to threaten 4 ODST's like that, even if the ODST's are injured.
Cybermat47 wrote:

You know... I did try to rectify that issue, myself, at least twenty times. But the site just reversed my edits a minute or two after I made them. On the page dedicated to Spec-Ops Elites, specifically, where they present a gallery of pictures.
My edit has lasted for 38 minutes as of now. Here's hoping common sense continues to prevail.
I honestly think they weren't thinking of the canon overall. Look at Halo 4, the Forward unto Dawn is an entirely different frigate from Halo 3.

Then the comic is the one that doesn't make sense, not the day at the beach cutscene. An Elite Minor shouldn't be able to threaten 4 ODST's like that, even if the ODST's are injured.
You either don't know very much about Elites, or you heavily overestimate ODSTs. Unarmored Elites can literally stomp a hole through a person's torso. Add to the fact that the Elite in the cinematic had the benefit of an Active-Camo module, an Energy Sword, and a Plasma Rifle, and it is honestly surprising that the Elite didn't at least kill two troopers before going down. Hence why I would call the Elite's performance "mediocre" for a Minor, and "piss-poor" for a Spec-Ops.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2