The diadact was wasted?

OP CesarDSM7

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I think yes he has so much yo see
What I'd have changed:
The Didact wouldn't float or fly at any point, and the blast of the grenade at the end would have launched him off the bridge. Part of the following voiceover would have been Master Chief's debriefing where he tells command that the Didact fell through the portal, but that he cannot confirm the Didact's death.
The Didact would not have been killed in a comic. There could be comics about other things he does, but he'd get a proper end in a later game.

I don't have a problem with him before the final level in Halo 4. He was once a war-hero who went mad and thinks that he can defeat the unbeatable by turning all of humanity into soldiers slaved to his will, and that's what Halo 4 gave us.
I feel like it was a wasted opportunity to flesh out the Didact in Halo 5, as IMO he was pretty flat and stereotypical as a villain in Halo 4. Even with the expanded lore to take into account, core halo 4 Didact was typical Disney villain fair: evil for the sake of evil.

But they could have done something in Halo 5 to express him as a character, don't just TELL us about his deeds and misdeeds, SHOW them! You know? The Covenant in Halo CE were just your typical FPS aliens, but Halo 2 expanded the Covenant, showing us their religion, social hierarchy, gave us a PoV character to see the Covenant through the eyes of one of them.
With the novels building him up, I would agree. Heck, for example he never really reveals why he hates humans. We as fans know the reason, but the characters do not until the librarian ai tells us herself.
It took me a few seconds to realize I was interpreting “wasted” in an incorrect way 😅

Anyway, I think he could have used a bit more screen time in Halo 4. I enjoyed having him as the bad guy, but the problem was he appeared or was mentioned only a few times. That would have been okay had the final boss fight been worthwhile, but I think having a QTE took a lot of engagement and, by association, interest away.
Yeah, they could have done so much more with him. He's a lot less annoying than the Warden.
The Didact is easily the most wasted character in the series.
He died in a comic, but that can be retconned very easily.
Remeber Asoka was suppose to die before Count Dooku at Revenge of the Sith. As with star wars there are tiers of canon that is closest to the source material. Halo is first and foremost a video game, so everything video games supersedes what was written in the books or shown in videos. Yes that includes Eric Nylund's Fall of Reach (which has some discrepancies that don't match with the original Halo game).

So tiers of canon from highest order to lowest.
  1. Halo Games {Halo CE, 2, 3, ODST, Reach, Halo 4 and even 5} (this could be split between Bungie and 343 but we will keep them together for simplicity sake)
  2. Halo Spinoff Games {Halo Wars, Fireteam Raven} basicly the non-FPS games that are designed to explore parts outside the main story of Cortona.
  3. Halo Waypoint Content {The Mona Lisa, Forward Unto Dawn} All the videos and stories found on Halo Waypoint, including the anime shorts form Halo Legends
  4. Halo Books and Comics {uprising, The Flood, ect.} Books and Comics
and at the very last, the fan-fic which doesn't even rate a tier of canon.
I must say at first I was considering on reporting this thread. If it wasn't for the Gamers posting below I would have just assumed that you were talking about the Didact drinking too much and being that wasted. After reading everyone else's response I must however concur with you that the character itself was wasted. There was so much more potential to be had for the character and 343 just ended him,(for now). Overall it was a good discussion starter but I must ask that you elaborate a little better than just a simple sentence. People could very easily take it the wrong way. Good post and I look forward to see what else you contribute to the community in the near future.
Not true. The Didact has never been declared dead in any official Halo media. His status has been deemed as "contained" in some sort of composed state that has yet to be elaborated on or explained. It's not much, and we may never hear from/see him again. But that is still a big difference from being actually deceased and is the status quo until otherwise changed by some other piece of canon media.
Quote:
This is also incorrect. No one type of media "supersedes" anything else - that is how it has been since 343i took over and the Halo Universe is far better for it. The games, books, comics, and everything else are all equally canon until anything in them retconned by something newer.
I feel like it was a wasted opportunity to flesh out the Didact in Halo 5, as IMO he was pretty flat and stereotypical as a villain in Halo 4. Even with the expanded lore to take into account, core halo 4 Didact was typical Disney villain fair: evil for the sake of evil.

But they could have done something in Halo 5 to express him as a character, don't just TELL us about his deeds and misdeeds, SHOW them! You know? The Covenant in Halo CE were just your typical FPS aliens, but Halo 2 expanded the Covenant, showing us their religion, social hierarchy, gave us a PoV character to see the Covenant through the eyes of one of them.
Actually, from what I understand; he wasn't 'evil for the sake of being evil'. He was driven mad by exposure to the Flood and eventually imprinted himself upon a young Forerunner when he started experimenting on himself to try and cure himself from potential Flood contamination. This ended up creating two different Didacts; Ur-Didact, the one we end up fighting, and Iso-Didact, the one who went on to activate the Halo Array when all else was lost.

Ultimately, the Master Chief is theorized to be the reincarnation of Iso-Didact because of what we have to go on (343 Guilty Sparks conversation with him in the beginning of Two Betrayals in Halo: Combat Evolved pushed us to this conclusion). That being said, if it is true that he IS Iso-Didact, then the initial fight between Chief and Didact would have seemed much more interesting. Because that would mean Iso-Didact would be trying to stop Ur-Didact from making the same mistake that lead him down this path he has taken.
I think he is returning in Infinite... Well, I hope because if he really did die in H4 that would be a totally wasted character for sure...
Yeah just to point out. As of right now, the Didact is NOT dead. It's been stated that he's not composed either, but something definitely happened to him. Chief considers him "contained" at most, and the Spartan Field Guide shows that the UNSC still considers him a threat.

I think it's safe to say he will be returning at one point, possibly more dangerous than ever (or perhaps an unlikely ally against Cortana and the Created, though it would be "common mutual enemy" kind of alliance).
Yeah just to point out. As of right now, the Didact is NOT dead. It's been stated that he's not composed either, but something definitely happened to him. Chief considers him "contained" at most, and the Spartan Field Guide shows that the UNSC still considers him a threat.

I think it's safe to say he will be returning at one point, possibly more dangerous than ever (or perhaps an unlikely ally against Cortana and the Created, though it would be "common mutual enemy" kind of alliance).
what if and this is just what if..... Didact is actually controlling the Cortana we see in the Halo 5 campaign? Long shot but i'm sure i'm not the only person who thought it.

what if and this is just what if..... Didact is actually controlling the Cortana we see in the Halo 5 campaign? Long shot but i'm sure i'm not the only person who thought it.
Yeah I remember this being a theory, and it's definitely plausible IMO.
JNDreher wrote:
The Didact would not have been killed in a comic.
Nor was he. He was composed, and essentially put on the back burner. Chief even mentions that he believes he's simply "contained". We may yet see the Didact again.
Yes! We finally got to see a biological Forerunner and then they threw him out in the waste bin. You learn so much about him in the terminals and the Forerunner trilogy only for him to be composed in the end. Sure that means he's not dead but it's still a waste for that to have happened to him.

Nevertheless I still like him, hence my name (judge me if you want but you won't penetrate my combat skin) he could have got so much more development that came from the books translated into the games. What I loved that while he had gone mad from his encounter with the Flood, he acted as if his deeds were done out of nobility and to save the galaxy. How unfortunate that 343i decided to throw out what made him unique: the only living Forerunner we ever saw. A digitized version of him to me would just be like dealing with another Warden.
I think so yes. Besides the Prophets from Bungie’s Halo, Halo had never had one single true bad guy, and Halo 4 changed that. He was a good villain that wanted nothing more than to destroy humanity and they “Killed” him in the first 343 game, then really killed him in the comics.
Not true. The Didact has never been declared dead in any official Halo media. His status has been deemed as "contained" in some sort of composed state that has yet to be elaborated on or explained. It's not much, and we may never hear from/see him again. But that is still a big difference from being actually deceased and is the status quo until otherwise changed by some other piece of canon media.
Quote:
This is also incorrect. No one type of media "supersedes" anything else - that is how it has been since 343i took over and the Halo Universe is far better for it. The games, books, comics, and everything else are all equally canon until anything in them retconned by something newer.
No other type of media sure but media that is closer to the source tends to have higher weight. Take Star Wars for example, in that the media of the movies surpasses the books because Star Wars existed first as a movie, even if the creator G. Lucas is no longer in charge of the movies they are closer to the form of the source than either of the books be it new canon or old legends. Now take G.R.R. Martin series, you have the TV show which for a while was considered canon now the show has sort of taken its own story and the books are considered a separate cannon (much like Legends and Disneyverse). However between the two I would have to side with the books as the story was originally in book form and directly from the creator.

But in the end you are correct as it is all fiction, and can easily be rewritten/retold/redone just like any other works of fiction. Although I doubt 343 would try and remake all of the Halo story from Harvest to H5. But again with so many writers and so many different stories when conflicts between the different media comes, this is just something I use to determine which is the original story and which is creative liberties taken by the person making their own version of the story. Source is still important in many stories be it fiction or otherwise.
I am huge fan of Forerunners, and the didact was a cool character with his flaws but for beginning a new triology, where they finally introduced a Forerunner, what everybody wanted to see about in games and let the last surviving Forerunner "die" in the very first game is a little bit disappointing.

I hope tough will get to see more Faber or the Precursers in the Future
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2