Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

The DMR was a Mistake

OP Archon Vaxal

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Clearly OP... then what bias are you basing your argument off? If not your own experience how can you justify any points you make?
Syxnrgy wrote:
Clearly OP... then what bias are you basing your argument off? If not your own experience how can you justify any points you make?
My post was entirely a matter of opinion. At no point did I bring up how well I did with the weapon, nor about the balance of weapons. The only thing I said on the matter is that the match-up between two players with DMRs essentially boils down to a game of peekaboo. I don't know how you somehow managed to think that I was whining about being bad at the game. Even if such was the case, it wouldn't change anything about the points I made. I went to certain lengths to make certain that my gripes about the DMR were completely divorced from my talent at the game.
Syxnrgy wrote:
Clearly OP... then what bias are you basing your argument off? If not your own experience how can you justify any points you make?
My post was entirely a matter of opinion. At no point did I bring up how well I did with the weapon, nor about the balance of weapons. The only thing I said on the matter is that the match-up between two players with DMRs essentially boils down to a game of peekaboo. I don't know how you somehow managed to think that I was whining about being bad at the game. Even if such was the case, it wouldn't change anything about the points I made. I went to certain lengths to make certain that my gripes about the DMR were completely divorced from my talent at the game.
You mentioned the "game of peekabo"... or whoever gets first shot generally wins... and your stated about how this snt a merit of skill? This is literally a depiction of advantage 101... if a player has first shot learn to disengage or force them to feel uncomfortable in the situation and make them miss (if youre confident). There is literally no reason why you should be "always" losing in a "they got first shot" situations. A player needs to have situational awareness, recognize the information and act accordingly.

Whether you are aware of it or not, your bias still reigns upon your decisiveness and format for arguements even as experience to gain evidence. I didn't want to bring this up but spend less time trying to change the recipe in the forums and develop your gameplay to properly learn how the sandbox operates and how to develop your skills. You are literally the lower echelon of skill in most Halo titles and it pains me to say until you reach a higher standing alot of what you say just falls to the wayside as "noob" complaints. I am happy to help anyone learn or advance their skills but take this advice as food for thought.
Syxnrgy wrote:
Syxnrgy wrote:
Clearly OP... then what bias are you basing your argument off? If not your own experience how can you justify any points you make?
My post was entirely a matter of opinion. At no point did I bring up how well I did with the weapon, nor about the balance of weapons. The only thing I said on the matter is that the match-up between two players with DMRs essentially boils down to a game of peekaboo. I don't know how you somehow managed to think that I was whining about being bad at the game. Even if such was the case, it wouldn't change anything about the points I made. I went to certain lengths to make certain that my gripes about the DMR were completely divorced from my talent at the game.
You mentioned the "game of peekabo"... or whoever gets first shot generally wins... and your stated about how this snt a merit of skill? This is literally a depiction of advantage 101... if a player has first shot learn to disengage or force them to feel uncomfortable in the situation and make them miss (if youre confident). There is literally no reason why you should be "always" losing in a "they got first shot" situations. A player needs to have situational awareness, recognize the information and act accordingly.

Whether you are aware of it or not, your bias still reigns upon your decisiveness and format for arguements even as experience to gain evidence. I didn't want to bring this up but spend less time trying to change the recipe in the forums and develop your gameplay to properly learn how the sandbox operates and how to develop your skills. You are literally the lower echelon of skill in most Halo titles and it pains me to say until you reach a higher standing alot of what you say just falls to the wayside as "noob" complaints. I am happy to help anyone learn or advance their skills but take this advice as food for thought.
Why are you focusing on my skill at the game? Go -Yoink- yourself, buddy.

Why do you think I avoided talking about my success at the game, in the first place? Besides, I didn't get into this franchise to "git gud", I got into it for the lore. You are really showing your elitist stripes, bucko.
Syxnrgy wrote:
Syxnrgy wrote:
Clearly OP... then what bias are you basing your argument off? If not your own experience how can you justify any points you make?
My post was entirely a matter of opinion. At no point did I bring up how well I did with the weapon, nor about the balance of weapons. The only thing I said on the matter is that the match-up between two players with DMRs essentially boils down to a game of peekaboo. I don't know how you somehow managed to think that I was whining about being bad at the game. Even if such was the case, it wouldn't change anything about the points I made. I went to certain lengths to make certain that my gripes about the DMR were completely divorced from my talent at the game.
You mentioned the "game of peekabo"... or whoever gets first shot generally wins... and your stated about how this snt a merit of skill? This is literally a depiction of advantage 101... if a player has first shot learn to disengage or force them to feel uncomfortable in the situation and make them miss (if youre confident). There is literally no reason why you should be "always" losing in a "they got first shot" situations. A player needs to have situational awareness, recognize the information and act accordingly.

Whether you are aware of it or not, your bias still reigns upon your decisiveness and format for arguements even as experience to gain evidence. I didn't want to bring this up but spend less time trying to change the recipe in the forums and develop your gameplay to properly learn how the sandbox operates and how to develop your skills. You are literally the lower echelon of skill in most Halo titles and it pains me to say until you reach a higher standing alot of what you say just falls to the wayside as "noob" complaints. I am happy to help anyone learn or advance their skills but take this advice as food for thought.
Why are you focusing on my skill at the game? Go -Yoink- yourself, buddy.
Yeah sounds like a solid point to the arguement. Please tell me more...

Real talk. Try not taking any critiscm as negative, it is an arguement so there will be differing viewpoints.
Syxnrgy wrote:
Syxnrgy wrote:
Syxnrgy wrote:
Clearly OP... then what bias are you basing your argument off? If not your own experience how can you justify any points you make?
My post was entirely a matter of opinion. At no point did I bring up how well I did with the weapon, nor about the balance of weapons. The only thing I said on the matter is that the match-up between two players with DMRs essentially boils down to a game of peekaboo. I don't know how you somehow managed to think that I was whining about being bad at the game. Even if such was the case, it wouldn't change anything about the points I made. I went to certain lengths to make certain that my gripes about the DMR were completely divorced from my talent at the game.
You mentioned the "game of peekabo"... or whoever gets first shot generally wins... and your stated about how this snt a merit of skill? This is literally a depiction of advantage 101... if a player has first shot learn to disengage or force them to feel uncomfortable in the situation and make them miss (if youre confident). There is literally no reason why you should be "always" losing in a "they got first shot" situations. A player needs to have situational awareness, recognize the information and act accordingly.

Whether you are aware of it or not, your bias still reigns upon your decisiveness and format for arguements even as experience to gain evidence. I didn't want to bring this up but spend less time trying to change the recipe in the forums and develop your gameplay to properly learn how the sandbox operates and how to develop your skills. You are literally the lower echelon of skill in most Halo titles and it pains me to say until you reach a higher standing alot of what you say just falls to the wayside as "noob" complaints. I am happy to help anyone learn or advance their skills but take this advice as food for thought.
Why are you focusing on my skill at the game? Go -Yoink- yourself, buddy.
Yeah sounds like a solid point to the arguement. Please tell me more...

Real talk. Try not taking any critiscm as negative, it is an arguement so there will be differing viewpoints.
What you're doing is hardly "criticism". More like insufferable nitpicking. Instead of actually tackling my initial points, you defaulted to saying what basically amounts to "git gud" even though it's hardly relevant. My skill at the game does not matter, in this context, and it doesn't effect any of my initial arguments. Because you couldn't address any of my actual points, you went straight to ad hominem in an effort to change the subject.

Also, I'm not going to take criticism from a guy who can barely spell. See? I can do it, too.
Syxnrgy wrote:
Syxnrgy wrote:
Syxnrgy wrote:
Clearly OP... then what bias are you basing your argument off? If not your own experience how can you justify any points you make?
My post was entirely a matter of opinion. At no point did I bring up how well I did with the weapon, nor about the balance of weapons. The only thing I said on the matter is that the match-up between two players with DMRs essentially boils down to a game of peekaboo. I don't know how you somehow managed to think that I was whining about being bad at the game. Even if such was the case, it wouldn't change anything about the points I made. I went to certain lengths to make certain that my gripes about the DMR were completely divorced from my talent at the game.
You mentioned the "game of peekabo"... or whoever gets first shot generally wins... and your stated about how this snt a merit of skill? This is literally a depiction of advantage 101... if a player has first shot learn to disengage or force them to feel uncomfortable in the situation and make them miss (if youre confident). There is literally no reason why you should be "always" losing in a "they got first shot" situations. A player needs to have situational awareness, recognize the information and act accordingly.

Whether you are aware of it or not, your bias still reigns upon your decisiveness and format for arguements even as experience to gain evidence. I didn't want to bring this up but spend less time trying to change the recipe in the forums and develop your gameplay to properly learn how the sandbox operates and how to develop your skills. You are literally the lower echelon of skill in most Halo titles and it pains me to say until you reach a higher standing alot of what you say just falls to the wayside as "noob" complaints. I am happy to help anyone learn or advance their skills but take this advice as food for thought.
Why are you focusing on my skill at the game? Go -Yoink- yourself, buddy.
Yeah sounds like a solid point to the arguement. Please tell me more...

Real talk. Try not taking any critiscm as negative, it is an arguement so there will be differing viewpoints.
What you're doing is hardly "criticism". More like insufferable nitpicking. Instead of actually tackling my initial points, you defaulted to saying what basically amounts to "git gud" even though it's hardly relevant. My skill at the game does not matter, in this context, and it doesn't effect any of my initial arguments. Because you couldn't address any of my actual points, you went straight to ad hominem in an effort to change the subject.

Also, I'm not going to take criticism from a guy who can barely spell. See? I can do it, too.
Barely spell or just missed a key command. Lol

On the other points. Aesthetically it literally fits what role it is intended for marksmenship.

On the fan art Ive seen plenty of artists draw in DMRs... mostly ARs... some SAWs, Rocket Launchers etc. This point is irrelevant to you goal of "removing" the DMR.
Syxnrgy wrote:
Syxnrgy wrote:
Syxnrgy wrote:
Clearly OP... then what bias are you basing your argument off? If not your own experience how can you justify any points you make?
My post was entirely a matter of opinion. At no point did I bring up how well I did with the weapon, nor about the balance of weapons. The only thing I said on the matter is that the match-up between two players with DMRs essentially boils down to a game of peekaboo. I don't know how you somehow managed to think that I was whining about being bad at the game. Even if such was the case, it wouldn't change anything about the points I made. I went to certain lengths to make certain that my gripes about the DMR were completely divorced from my talent at the game.
You mentioned the "game of peekabo"... or whoever gets first shot generally wins... and your stated about how this snt a merit of skill? This is literally a depiction of advantage 101... if a player has first shot learn to disengage or force them to feel uncomfortable in the situation and make them miss (if youre confident). There is literally no reason why you should be "always" losing in a "they got first shot" situations. A player needs to have situational awareness, recognize the information and act accordingly.

Whether you are aware of it or not, your bias still reigns upon your decisiveness and format for arguements even as experience to gain evidence. I didn't want to bring this up but spend less time trying to change the recipe in the forums and develop your gameplay to properly learn how the sandbox operates and how to develop your skills. You are literally the lower echelon of skill in most Halo titles and it pains me to say until you reach a higher standing alot of what you say just falls to the wayside as "noob" complaints. I am happy to help anyone learn or advance their skills but take this advice as food for thought.
Why are you focusing on my skill at the game? Go -Yoink- yourself, buddy.
Yeah sounds like a solid point to the arguement. Please tell me more...

Real talk. Try not taking any critiscm as negative, it is an arguement so there will be differing viewpoints.
What you're doing is hardly "criticism". More like insufferable nitpicking. Instead of actually tackling my initial points, you defaulted to saying what basically amounts to "git gud" even though it's hardly relevant. My skill at the game does not matter, in this context, and it doesn't effect any of my initial arguments. Because you couldn't address any of my actual points, you went straight to ad hominem in an effort to change the subject.

Also, I'm not going to take criticism from a guy who can barely spell. See? I can do it, too.
And... "targeting" your skill level actually does hold merit when you brought in a skill based point about first shot wins most encounters essentially...

I would only address the points which I have some knowledge about...

Bottom line is the DMR aesthically differs from any other weapon in the sandbox allowing players to recognize it.

If you find it boring alright your opinion, but dont justify your opinion is more or less valuable than anyone elses. You bring the thread we argue for and against the topic and points.
The DMR is the least interesting, most unappealing weapon in the human arsenal. Its presence in the games renders it and the Battle Rifle mutually redundant, and virtually everything about it is painfully boring and dull. How it looks, how it fires, how it functions, how it sounds, its animations— it's all utterly bland. Even compared to the rest of humanity's weapons (which aren't exactly a sight for sore eyes, let's be honest) the DMR struggles to inspire or captivate its user.
You could put it in literally any other Sci-Fi universe — Hell, probably even any other first-person shooter — and it would fit right in. Probably also fade into the woodwork, given how nondescript and plain it looks. You don't see very much fan-art featuring the DMR, do you? Yet, there's tons featuring the BR— and I seriously doubt that that's just a coincidence.
Everything about the DMR is sleep-inducingly boring and unnecessary. The Needle-Rifle fulfills the same function in gameplay, is infinitely more interesting as a design, and even has its own unique functionality in the form of being fired full-auto— adding a new dimension to its uses and therefore having a higher skill-ceiling.

The Battle Rifle at least had its three-round-burst going for it, and was an iconic weapon by way of having an interesting appearance— every design-aspect that the two weapons have in common: the BR does better. The BR is certainly a better sounding weapon, in any regard. Both weapons are boring to use and cheap to deal with, in-game, anyway— when it comes to either one, the result of a firefight between two players is usually determined by "who shot first" and "who saw the other player first". Not exactly encouraging skillful tactics, beyond a dressed up game of peekaboo.

The DMR's existence somewhat cheapens the battle rifle's in terms of canon. The BR was said to be an extremely popular weapon in infantry and in the army— it even had the quote: "when you go into battle, you take your battle-rifle". The DMR is basically just the BR's less charismatic, marginally more effective, incestuous cousin. Hanging there, like an appendix in Halo's body. Serving no vital purpose, prone-to-rottenness, and perfectly replaceable.
Couldn't have said it better honestly, I hate the DMR and I wish they never made it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2