Forums / Community / Halo Universe

The Fall of Reach felt lazy

OP PyramidCode

**NOTE, I AM TALKING ABOUT THE MOVIE/ANIMATED SHORTS. THE BOOK IS AMAZING SO PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS OUT OF CONTEXT**

I recently finished reading the Fall of Reach and of course, loved it. It gives some nice backstory to Blue team and the Spartans as a whole. So once I finished I went on Netflix to watch the animated movie/shorts and... I've got very, very mixed feelings about it.

First off, the animation: It feels like the team wanted to do 2D animation (from the painted backgrounds and textures) but it fell through due to budgetary reasons, the 3D animation feels lazy and stiff, it gets a bit better towards the end (as they probably dropped the 2D stuff completely by the time they got to animating those scenes), but still. Also, the voices and models of the children in the beginning are horrible, they don't look or sound anything like children.

Sorry, I just needed to vent about this a little, if the mods wanna lock it then go ahead.
The strange animations are actually a particular style of animation that many enjoy. I'm not a raving fan of the style, but I enjoy the sort of half motion comic/half 3D rendered style quite a bit. I don't know if there's a particular terminology for the style used, but it's not a case of 2D clashing with 3D or the budget getting in the way. The style was deliberate.

I'm kinda surprised though. When I saw the title of this post and the caps locked text, I assumed you were going to complain about the substance of the movie rather than the style. I really can't stand the Fall of Reach movie for a number of reasons... first and foremost it didn't even include the ACTUAL FALL OF REACH. I won't go into the rest because it has been talked to death. Instead I'll just leave you with a link to Halo Canon's review of it years ago, which summed up my thoughts fairly neatly: The Fall of Reach Animated Series Review
I dont honestly think we can call the animation "the Fall of Reach" since we never...saw Reach...fall...
We didn't even get to Sigma Octanus IV!
Honestly they should have called it Halo: Blue Team or Halo: Boot Camp.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
The strange animations are actually a particular style of animation that many enjoy. I'm not a raving fan of the style, but I enjoy the sort of half motion comic/half 3D rendered style quite a bit. I don't know if there's a particular terminology for the style used, but it's not a case of 2D clashing with 3D or the budget getting in the way. The style was deliberate.

I'm kinda surprised though. When I saw the title of this post and the caps locked text, I assumed you were going to complain about the substance of the movie rather than the style. I really can't stand the Fall of Reach movie for a number of reasons... first and foremost it didn't even include the ACTUAL FALL OF REACH. I won't go into the rest because it has been talked to death. Instead I'll just leave you with a link to Halo Canon's review of it years ago, which summed up my thoughts fairly neatly: The Fall of Reach Animated Series Review
I knew coming in it wouldn't even touch any of the events taking place in 2552 but it didn't even get close! That wasn't really a big complaint of mine. Also, I thought the painted textures we're neat and also enjoy that style but the 3D felt stiff and lifeless. Especially in the beginning where the children are doing jumping jacks and it looks like the arms and legs are just being moved up and down, no life.
I have issues with it breaking canon... on SEVERAL OCCASIONS. That was my biggest gripe with it really. I’m glad some of the other animation stuff 343i did was pretty nice. I know they had books on it, but it provided a better insight for the most part, except the one we’re talking about at hand. But of course that’s my two cents, and take that how you will.
I wish that the Covenant ship was smaller than a Frigate, just to show how powerful the Covenant really is.
I wish that the Covenant ship was smaller than a Frigate, just to show how powerful the Covenant really is.
That's kind of a Halo problem in general, but that would be cool.
That's the thing, in the book the ship that the Spartans attacked on Chi Cheti was smaller than the Frigate and actually doing a lot of damage. They changed it in the animation to be a Battlecruiser.
That's the thing, in the book the ship that the Spartans attacked on Chi Cheti was smaller than the Frigate and actually doing a lot of damage. They changed it in the animation to be a Battlecruiser.
Since I'm not a hardcore fan I wasn't paying attention 😑. But thanks for informing me.
Personally, I thought it was quite good, but yes Artstyle is a matter of taste. Then as others have already said, maybe they should have called it "Halo: Blue Team Origins (based on extracts from Halo: The Fall Of Reach)".

The ultimate purpose was (a) to have the back story of Blue Team for Halo 5, hence the end cutscene of Blue Team's later reunion back on Reach where Chief asks them to follow him in Halo 5, and (b) emphasise the theme of "Memories of Reach" in the Halo 5 story and sub-stories and related materials (the H5 Infographic to the Legendary Loot Crate Data Drops Series-3, and even into the Halo Infinite Game Engine Demo and Trailer), for "Remember Reach: remember where it all began".

To that end, the animated version serves it's purpose perfectly well. See my article and videos:

https://sway.office.com/cAjX6e5YqdbDdxyd?ref=Link .